Sennistrasz

Oct 6, 2020
Honestly the people complaining about the death are getting old. It was interesting for a minute because I had never heard of people quitting a game because they died in it instead of doing what you do in every other game and reloading to before the death. Edit: Fail States are a normal part of games. It is what makes them games…

It’s like complaining that Commander Shepard isn’t able to convince the councils that Saren is bad at the start of Mass Effect, and saying, “But I put my points in Charm?” Yeah, no duh, you couldn’t convince them, you’re level 2 and he’s level 30 and a trusted Spectre. Here the MC is level 2 and she is level 100.

This is normal in every other type of game. And other media too. Goku dies fighting Radits, in Dragon Age you get forced to join the Grey Wardens often because you got fucked over no mater what your skills and traits were, Big Boss loses a fight and gets his eye cut out, Harry Potter has to be killed by Voldemort, in Knights of the Old Republic Balstila get captured, Gandalf dies fighting the Balrog, FF7 is considered one of the greatest games out there and a main character is killed without the player being able to do anything no matter their level, Dark Souls existing as a game at all!

You’ve literally been a vampire for what? A week? And you think your poultry 15 highest skill, whatever it is, and trait that you admit to Zoey you don’t know how to use should make a difference against a centuries old vampire princess? Edit: Among humans you’re practically a God now, among vampire… the guards at the estate could have bodied you. You’re like a level four Alliance Paladin that wondered into the Hordes capital city… You could wreak those murlocks back home, but here among the big dogs, you’re nothing.

Required outcomes are a normal part of story telling and the things people are suggesting the dev could have done otherwise? Things they admit wouldn’t actually change anything except make a shit ton more work for an Indy dev. Or just not have any choice at all, and you know people would be pissy about that, saying, “Why didn’t I get a choice to fight back even if I would have failed?” You know how I know that would happen, because I’ve seen it in other game threads where a choice wasn’t given at all and people complained.

Get over it. You wanted to fight and died, now go train and get better and come back and win next time. The same way it works in every other type of game out there…

Edit: I think that is what confuses me the most. That this game is being treated differently than other would be. I don’t understand why. We are basically still in the prolog and you think we should beat a potential end game boss? We haven’t even met the third main faction yet, we haven’t unlocked any traits yet. We haven’t even gotten our fake id yet… this is world building prolog stuff, so yeah, your skills didn’t matter. As they usually don’t in a prolog.
One reason people don't like such choices is because in a way that's not a choice at all - if you can't continue after making a choice, it doesn't count as a story choice, because then there's no more story. Choices are for offering alternative stories. If a character is meant to die, then there must be a story for why he dies, and the consequences, enough story to make people want to choose it. The story didn't stop when Gandalf or Harry or those in the Avengers died, it carries on after that for quite a bit (and they came back anyway but I know that's not the point), because the deaths are telling a story, and don't serve as an ending.

FunFuntomes

Engaged Member
Mar 24, 2021
old vampire princess?
MC will become prince consort if I have a say about it...
Offering the choice to "fight" offers the possibility of success. That offer is a lie. Pure and simple. Writers who lie to their players suffer the consequences. As i said lazy writing and no surprise that some had a problem with it.
it's not a lie, it was a stupid choice to take.
Is it wrong that I am finding Emilia so fucking hot after she tried to kill me?
did you skip the car ride? I loved her the moment she sat her delicious murderous ass on the backseat..

JoeTheMC84

Dec 1, 2021
Although, after we turned, we didn't get stat boost.... All our stats were (10+5) when we were human... After turning, we didn't gain any stats... Which means a fledgling vampire is as strong as a human... It should not be the case... We should have gotten few stats (10+ maybe in strength, agility etc physical stats)
True, we haven't had a stat boost yet, but already our natural vampire nature has made one girl so infatuated with the MC that she waited for him for a week to show up at a cafe. We already used our powers, though in a rough way, with Doc and could have used them on the landlady. Even without stat boosts we are more than human already, but the point I was making was that to expect the MC to be able to do anything remotely to Emilia is ridicules.

One reason people don't like such choices is because in a way that's not a choice at all - if you can't continue after making a choice, it doesn't count as a story choice, because then there's no more story. Choices are for offering alternative stories. If a character is meant to die, then there must be a story for why he dies, and the consequences, enough story to make people want to choose it. The story didn't stop when Gandalf or Harry or those in the Avengers died, it carries on after that for quite a bit (and they came back anyway but I know that's not the point), because the deaths are telling a story, and don't serve as an ending.
Except that the story also continues here as well because this isn't a hardcore ironman game. You reload, that's why I gave game examples too. That's how choice works in every game that have ever existed, you can make a wrong choice, which sometimes leads to death. Mario jumped in the wrong tube and died, you reload and now jump over the tube. This has been a part of gaming since video games have been a thing. I used novels as well because I was pointing out that fail states are not the end of stories, it's a normal part of stories. Boromir and Tonks would perhaps have been better then as characters who died to progress the story, but the story goes one. But that wasn't my point any way. Edit: As another example of the ability to make a right or wrong choice, look to if you tell Zoey if you had sex with Doc or not. One will be right, and the other wrong. So, was it a "real" choice just because the outcome wasn't death, and we won't know the answer for a while which was ultimately right? Or is a false choice too, because one will be right and the other wrong?

My point is the inconsistence and hypocrisy in tarnishing this *game* for doing what games have done since they were invented, having a failure state. It goes all the way back to Mario as I gave an example of. The fact that he is a plumber doesn't mean he always knows which pipe to use, no matter how far into the game you are... sometimes you pick the wrong pipe, and you die, reload and pick the right pipe next time so the story can go on. Toe Jam and Earl picked the wrong door and had to restart, Stanly in the Stanly Parable ignored the narrator too many times and got crushed by the crusher things, the first boss in Demon Souls and Dark Souls kills you so you can learn an important aspect of the game. Here, Emilia *can* kill you for the same reason, so you can learn a part of the game and world, you are not the powerful hero *YET* but you could be later. Eternum (to use another AVN) has a competition so you can advance the story, if you lose the quiz game the MC kills himself and then you are booted back to the start of the quiz so you can make the right answers. Many games have quick time events, if you chose not to click the buttons or click the wrong ones, you can die. You might not like that outcome, but it is a choice you are free to make, you can choose to not click the button at all. Death and failure states are a normal part of game design. That is why there is a save and reload function in games at all... So that you can fail and then go back and move on. And in AVN using Ren'py it's even easier to correct because there is a rollback function, so you don't even have to open a new menu... it is a game design feature of the system this game uses.

I stand by this statement: Unless those complaining about the death scene in this game play every game like a hardcore iron man one death rule game then they are being hypocrites. And that's alright, I've been known to be a bit of a hypocrite as well. But I don't go in and talk trash and call it poor design and storytelling when my hypocrisy is the problem, I just move on. People are pissed not because there wasn't a choice, they are pissed because they picked the wrong the choice and got upset about it. Again, not knocking it, you are allowed to feel that way, your feelings are real and genuine I'm sure, just be honest that's the issue and don't come into the thread and tarnish the game because of it did what games since their inception have done. Offered a failure state to the player. Because again, you really expect me to believe you wouldn't have been upset if there had been no choice and you had been railroaded into telling the truth right away? Experience tells me otherwise. If there were no choice to fight back, people would be complaining that they got railroaded into confessing something to her and they would have preferred the choice to fight back and die "even if they never took it, or had to reload after." I have seen it in other game threads...

Maybe part of why I find this so odd, and confusing is because I am a writer. I've published books and taught creative writing; I'm even helping with some VN's as well as writing my own. Even my first-year creative writing students would have seen this fully telegraphed moment and gotten the point. From the conversation with Zoey, the internal thoughts of the MC, Emilia's father's words, the rumors about her from before you even met her the first time, her trying to kill Zoey that first time because Emilia was just upset about the road you were taking her home, her being more powerful than Zoey who you know is more powerful than you. Picking to fight back doesn't make it a false choice, it just makes it a wrong choice. Just like choosing the wrong tube in Mario. Except that which tube is right or wrong is actually not telegraphed, so here, it even more of a real choice between right or wrong. Hell, the entire game of Stanly Parable is about the nature of chose and your freedom to pick the wrong choices and then reloading and picking the "right" one.

It is okay to be wrong and admit it when presented a sound counter argument. I've been wrong plenty of times and admitted it and moved on. I used to give the game Light of My Life here crap because I thought the models were ugly, then I played the game, saw that all the people saying they fit the game perfectly and were right and I had been wrong, and it was amazing. I used to bash mobile gamers as not real gamers until I realized I was just being elitist, why does me playing a tower defense or resource management map game on my PC make me a gamer but my sister playing one on her phone make her a fake gamer? It doesn't, so I apologized to people I had insulted previously. I used to think D&D was for super nerds and losers, then I played it and it was fun. It's okay to be wrong, you aren't less of a person for it. This is a choice, if you say it isn't you're wrong, and that's okay, you can admit it, you won't be thought of as stupid or less of a person. But the longer people stand on this as a hill to die on the more it seems like they are just unreasonable and emotional about it because their character died when they picked what was clearly telegraphed as a wrong choice... a wrong choice, but a choice none the less. And oddly enough, if you picked it, you acutely saw more of the game then those who didn't. You saw something more of the game than those who just made the right choice right away. You actually got more game than those who made the right choice from the start.

I've rambled on long enough, sorry if I offended anyone, that wasn't my intention. I think it's because of my history as a teacher and storyteller, because I'm a student of game design and am a writer that I'm feeling such a need to try and bring clarity to this. But people get stuck in their own ideas often times no matter what is presented to them, I've been there myself. I work really hard not to be that way anymore. So, when I present clear and irrefutable evidence that this is a choice and a feature of all games and yet people still act like it is somehow such a problem and a false choice... I just wonder if maybe I say it again, or word it a little differently they would have to get it right? I mean, the evidence is so clear and obvious... but I'll move on, I guess.

Again, sorry to anyone who might feel attacked or insulted, not my intentions, I hope we can meet somewhere else in some other context and still have productive conversations. Though experience tells me I've probably been set to ignore by some folks already for making arguments they couldn't refute. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

FunFuntomes

Engaged Member
Mar 24, 2021
True, we haven't had a state boost yet, but already our natural vampire nature has made one girl so infatuated with the MC that she waited for him for a week to how up at a cafe. We already used our powers, though in a rough way with Doc and could have used them on the landlady. Even without stat boosts we are more than human already, but the point I was making was that to expect the MC to be able to do anything remotely to Emilia is ridicules.
to be fair, we didn't see MC's proper stats (strenght, dexterity and all that), what we can see are his skills (derivative of his stats and expertise). maybe it' on purpose so we don't get early clues on MC's bloodlne. we also didn't recieve proper training (that would show where MC stands on the powerscale) as Zoey was preoccupied with getting MC a new persona and finding him a body replacement and he didn't fight anyone. Perhaps MC could take down Emiia, if she didn't take precautions and made sure she could kill MC before he could strike her. Or maybe MC 'll get stronger by discovering traits of his bloodline (the trait system) .

And maybe dependng on the order the quests are taken, that encounter with Emilia might've had a different outcome.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: JoeTheMC84

Arrdvark

Jan 23, 2018
JenusKudo Arrdvark lilithcultist

Just since I saw a few asking for cheats;

This will boost the 10 stats on the left side of the character panel. [the stats that can't be changed in the save editor]
If you want to change your money, power, control or energy that can be done via; saveeditonline.com

This should not require restarting and should be compatible with the WT mod that is already available.
It will need to be updated with each new version though I think.

Let me know if there are any problems.
Obviously drop the "game" folder from the .rar file in your main "The Bite Revenant" folder.
Very nice. (y)

Sennistrasz

Oct 6, 2020
True, we haven't had a stat boost yet, but already our natural vampire nature has made one girl so infatuated with the MC that she waited for him for a week to show up at a cafe. We already used our powers, though in a rough way, with Doc and could have used them on the landlady. Even without stat boosts we are more than human already, but the point I was making was that to expect the MC to be able to do anything remotely to Emilia is ridicules.

Except that the story also continues here as well because this isn't a hardcore ironman game. You reload, that's why I gave game examples too. That's how choice works in every game that have ever existed, you can make a wrong choice. Mario jumped in the wrong tube and died, you reload and now jump over the tube. This has been a part of gaming since video games have been a thing. I used novels as well because I was pointing out that fail states are not the end of stories, it's a normal part of stories. Boromir and Tonks would perhaps have been better then as characters who died to progress the story, but the story goes one. But that wasn't my point any way.

My point is the inconsistence and hypocrisy in tarnishing this *game* for doing what games have done since they were invented, having a failure state. It goes all the way back to Mario as I gave an example of. The fact that he is a plumber doesn't mean he always knows which pipe to use, no matter how far into the game you are... sometimes you pick the wrong pipe, and you die, reload and pick the right pipe next time so the story can go on. Toe Jam and Earl picked the wrong door and had to restart, Stanly in the Stanly Parable ignored the narrator too many times and got crushed by the crusher things, the first boss in Demon Souls and Dark Souls kills you so you can learn an important aspect of the game. Here, Emilia *can* kill you for the same reason, so you can learn a part of the game and world, you are not the powerful hero *YET* but you could be later. Eternum (to use another AVN) has a competition so you can advance the story, if you lose the quiz game the MC kills himself and then you are booted back to the start of the quiz so you can make the right answers. Many games have quick time events, if you chose not to click the buttons or click the wrong ones, you can die. You might not like that outcome, but it is a choice you are free to make, you can choose to not click the button at all. Death and failure states are a normal part of game design. That is why there is a save and reload function in games at all... So that you can fail and then go back and move on. And in AVN using Ren'py it's even easier to correct because there is a rollback function, so you don't even have to open a new menu... it is a game design feature of the system this game uses.

I stand by this statement: Unless those complaining about the death scene in this game play every game like a hardcore iron man one death rule game then they are being hypocrites. And that's alright, I've been known to be a bit of a hypocrite as well. But I don't go in and talk trash and call it poor design and storytelling when my hypocrisy is the problem, I just move on. People are pissed not because there wasn't a choice, they are pissed because they picked the wrong the choice and got upset about it. Again, not knocking it, you are allowed to feel that way, your feelings are real and genuine I'm sure, just be honest that's the issue and don't come into the thread and tarnish the game because of it did what games since their inception have done. Offered a failure state to the player. Because again, you really expect me to believe you wouldn't have been upset if there had been no choice and you had been railroaded into telling the truth right away? Experience tells me otherwise. If there were no choice to fight back, people would be complaining that they got railroaded into confessing something to her and they would have preferred the choice to fight back and die "even if they never took it, or had to reload after." I have seen it in other game threads...

Maybe part of why I find this so odd, and confusing is because I am a writer. I've published books and taught creative writing; I'm even helping with some VN's as well as writing my own. Even my first-year creative writing students would have seen this fully telegraphed moment and gotten the point. From the conversation with Zoey, the internal thoughts of the MC, Emilia's father's words, the rumors about her from before you even met her the first time, her trying to kill Zoey that first time because Emilia was just upset about the road you were taking her home, her being more powerful than Zoey who you know is more powerful than you. Picking to fight back doesn't make it a false choice, it just makes it a wrong choice. Just like choosing the wrong tube in Mario. Except that which tube is right or wrong is actually not telegraphed, so here, it even more of a real choice between right or wrong. Hell, the entire game of Stanly Parable is about the nature of chose and your freedom to pick the wrong choices and then reloading and picking the "right" one.

It is okay to be wrong and admit it when presented a sound counter argument. I've been wrong plenty of times and admitted it and moved on. I used to give the game Light of My Life here crap because I thought the models were ugly, then I played the game, saw that all the people saying they fit the game perfectly and were right and I had been wrong, and it was amazing. I used to bash mobile gamers as not real gamers until I realized I was just being elitist, why does me playing a tower defense or resource management map game on my PC make me a gamer but my sister playing one on her phone make her a fake gamer? It doesn't, so I apologized to people I had insulted previously. I used to think D&D was for super nerds and losers, then I played it and it was fun. It's okay to be wrong, you aren't less of a person for it. This is a choice, if you say it isn't you're wrong, and that's okay, you can admit it, you won't be thought of as stupid or less of a person. But the longer people stand on this as a hill to die on the more it seems like they are just unreasonable and emotional about it because their character died when they picked what was clearly telegraphed as a wrong choice... a wrong choice, but a choice none the less. And oddly enough, if you picked it, you acutely saw more of the game then those who didn't. You saw something more of the game than those who just made the right choice right away. You actually got more game than those who made the right choice from the start.

I've rambled on long enough, sorry if I offended anyone, that wasn't my intention. I think it's because of my history as a teacher and storyteller, because I'm a student of game design and am a writer that I'm feeling such a need to try and bring clarity to this. But people get stuck in their own ideas often times no matter what is presented to them, I've been there myself. I work really hard not to be that way anymore. So, when I present clear and irrefutable evidence that this is a choice and a feature of all games and yet people still act like it is somehow such a problem and a false choice... I just wonder if maybe I say it again, or word it a little differently they would have to get it right? I mean, the evidence is so clear and obvious... but I'll move on, I guess.

Again, sorry to anyone who might feel attacked or insulted, not my intentions, I hope we can meet somewhere else in some other context and still have productive conversations. Though experience tells me I've probably been set to ignore by some folks already for making arguments they couldn't refute. :ROFLMAO:
Reloading isn't part of the story, by choosing the only option to carry on, that makes it the only canon option. Games with death as wrong choices have to serve a purpose, for example Telltale-style games with a wrong set of choices leading to a permanent death, which has lasting consequences and narrative importance, and referenced later in the game. Games that have death as "try again" only serve a mechanical purpose, which is not needed for a story with no difficulty components. Story-wise, the deaths did not happen, there are no timelines in which the deaths happened. The worst CYOA books were the ones that only had one correct path and other choices leading to 1-page ends. Just wasting everybody's time trying to remember where that previous page was. Even then, 1 page is more than a straight game over.

Having a wrong choice is good for storytelling, if you follow up and actually tell a story, not just "try again".

Last edited:
Reactions: Arcane666 and bosp

JoeTheMC84

Dec 1, 2021
to be fair, we didn't see MC's proper stats (strenght, dexterity and all that), what we can see are his skills (derivative of his stats and expertise). maybe it' on purpose so we don't get early clues on MC's bloodlne. we also didn't recieve proper training (that would show where MC stands on the powerscale) as Zoey was preoccupied with getting MC a new persona and finding him a body replacement and he didn't fight anyone. Perhaps MC could take down Emiia, if she didn't take precautions and made sure she could kill MC before he could strike her. Or maybe MC 'll get stronger by discovering traits of his bloodline (the trait system) .

And maybe dependng on the order the quests are taken, that encounter with Emilia might've had a different outcome.
That is interesting. As more content gets released it may be possible to revisit that encounter in a different order and change the outcome. Like wondering into the wrong zone in some open world games and dying but coming back later and being a boss.

It's easy to forget we are still kind of in the prolog because so much time goes by between releases. We haven't even met all the factions yet or been able to finish all the starter quests.

JoeTheMC84

Dec 1, 2021
Reloading isn't part of the story, by choosing the only option to carry on, that makes it the only canon option. Games with death as wrong choices have to serve a purpose, for example Telltale-style games with a wrong set of choices leading to a permanent death, which has lasting consequences and narrative importance, and referenced later in the game. Games that have death as "try again" only serve a mechanical purpose, which is not needed for a story with no difficulty components. Story-wise, the deaths did not happen, there are no timelines in which the deaths happened. The worst CYOA books were the ones that only had one correct path and other choices leading to 1-page ends. Just wasting everybody's time trying to remember where that previous page was.

Having a wrong choice is good for storytelling, if you follow up and actually tell a story, not just "try again".
It is interesting you bring up Tell-Tale, their Walking Dead game has serval moments where you can get the MC killed, one right at the beginning with the cop who is the first walker the MC encounters can get you killed. You reload and don't let the cop kill you. And like in that prolog, where the MC can die to show the player how dangerous walkers are, so to in this early, practically a prolog, quest you can die to see how serious vampires are.

Last edited:

Sennistrasz

Oct 6, 2020
It is interesting you bring up Tell-Tale, their Walking Dead game has serval moments where you can get the MC killed, one right at the beginning with the cop who is the first walker the MC encounters can get you killed. You reload and don't let the cop kill you. And like in that prolog, where the MC can die to show the player how dangerous walkers are, so to in this prolog quest you can die to see how serious vampires are.
The distinction is that it's difficulty feature, not a story feature. When you complete the game, there's no record of you getting killed, it didn't happen.

• Thinking Face

JoeTheMC84

Dec 1, 2021
The distinction is that it's difficulty feature, not a story feature. When you complete the game, there's no record of you getting killed, it didn't happen.
My apologies, I see the miscommunication.

I mean "story feature" in that it helps establish a principal in the world the game is set in. Namely that vampires are dangerous. Not story feature in that it impacts the end state of the game.

I consider anything that establishes part of the world building to be part of the story. Such as, allowing the MC to die to show that vampires are a big deal and dangerous and you aren't a powerful protagonist yet. To me that is also storytelling, not just things that impact the end of the game.

Perhaps I should call it a World Building feature if that helps clear up the issue.

Ayhsel

Chocolate Vampire
Donor
May 9, 2019
Is it so hard to fathom that unfortunate game design decisions like making a choice screen without an actual choice, i.e. button No. 2 leading to GAME OVER are not a very good idea?
Yes. What you are saying is there should be not "mistakes" by the player that lead in bad choices at all. That is really really wrong. While I do agree that "fake choices are stupid" this was not a a fake choice. Fake choice is something that either changes absolutely nothing or makes no sense in picking AT THE MOMENT WITHOUT ADDITIONAL INFORMATION. I put it capslock so you can see the difference. The choice given is not like that. There was nothing suggesting it would lead to death. It was not something like "fight and live / surrender and die". You are using future knowledge to justify being a bad choice. That is absolutely nonsense from the point of view of both telling a story or decision under uncertainty theory.

zh

Oct 17, 2017
I consider anything that establishes part of the world building to be part of the story. Such as, allowing the MC to die to show that vampires are a big deal and dangerous and you aren't a powerful protagonist yet. To me that is also storytelling, not just things that impact the end of the game.

Perhaps I should call it a World Building feature if that helps clear up the issue.
You can do both : show that Emilia is a Boss (world building) and show that stats matter.

Exemples :
You focus on [prowess]? OK, MC tries to throw fist. Emilia blocks it easily... congratulates MC for being strong for a 2 days fledgling... and then if MC dares to struggle again, she just kills him.
You focus on [perception]? OK, MC detects her in advance... She is slightly surprised. But then she laugh and flash-speed behind MC anyway. If MC tries to move again, she just kills him.
You focus on [indimidation] or [street-smart]? OK, MC tries to intimidate or smart-ass his way around. She is only surprised by how bold MC is, saying "I double dare you to say this again". If MC says it again, he dies.
...You focus on nothing in peculiar or not so useful stats for this situation? The scene should play out like it was in this update. But here is my issue : I personnally choose to focus on [science], which is completly useless for this kind of situation (for obvious reasons). I thought that I should do another playthrough and focus on another stat and see what happens in this scene. Well... if I didn't read this thread, I would have lost 1 hour of my life.

I agree with you that complaining about a MC that can die is... dumb. I don't mind if MC dies. I don't mind a lvl 2 character dying to a lvl 258 character. But stats should matter. Otherwise, again, what's the point of stats?

Last edited:
Reactions: Azeroth67000

JoeTheMC84

Dec 1, 2021
You can do both : show that Emilia is a Boss (world building) and show that stats matter.

Exemples :
You focus on [prowess]? OK, MC tries to throw fist. Emilia blocks it easily... congratulates MC for being strong for a 2 days fledging... and then if MC dares to struggle again, she just kills him.
You focus on [perception]? OK, MC detects her in advance... She is slightly surprised. But then she laugh and flash-speed behind MC anyway. If MC tries to move again, she just kills him.
You focus on [indimidation] or [street-smart]? OK, MC tries to intimidate or smart-ass his way around. She is only surprised by how bold MC is, saying "I double dare you to try this again". If MC tries it again, he dies.
...You focus on nothing in peculiar of not so useful stats for this situation? The scene should play out like it was in this update. But here is my issue : I personnally choose to focus on [science], which is completly useless for this kind of situation (for obvious reasons). I thought that I should do another playthrough and focus on another stat and see what happens in this scene. Well... if I didn't read this thread, I would have lost 1 hour of my life.

I agree with you that complaining about a MC that can die is... dumb. I don't mind if MC dies. I don't mind a lvl 2 character dying to a lvl 258 character. But stats should matter. Otherwise, again, what's the point of stats?
Your skills will matter, they just don't here. I focused on etiquette, charm, and knowledge and got different dialog with her dad. Similar when I visited Arbitration and the Doc. I got little notifications that I had passed checks related to those skills.

I see what you are saying, and I think it is an interesting argument to make. True, the developer *could* have had six different versions of the scene and had it end the same way, but that's a lot of extra work for no discernable additional benefit. There have already been many moments where skills have mattered so far in altering dialog and scenes. So, we as players should have seen that are skills do matter, in certain context, making the fact that they don't matter here all the more powerful of a statement.

Also, do you really think many people wouldn't still be complaining? People would be complaining anyway so there isn't even a benefit of preventing that by doing all that extra work when the point of the scene is to show the MC as powerless in that moment. The way the scene plays out she already allows two attempts to lie to her to slide before the final one, basically what you said the intimidate/charm/street-smart type of check would do anyway.

I think the highest any skill can be by the point in game is 15 or so. So, even if you had 15 prowess you couldn't block her attacks because her skill is 100. Even if your perception was 15 her sneak is 100. You can't intimidate a crazy person anyway. The point of the scene is not that your skills will never matter, it is that they won't always be the deciding factor. And sometimes they aren't even a factor at all. Sometimes you have to use your smarts and know how to read the situation, outthink the enemy, and live to fight another day. In fact, it might be interesting if the developer made a skill matter here and if you had a 0 in knowledge and/or etiquette then your MC would be too dumb and automatically try to fight back and die. That would be hilarious.

Reactions: \EGOIST

ManifestDream

Sep 13, 2021
Game is great. I always loved the vampire games and this one has a good MC (which means not impotent lol). But I feel like it will be one of those games stuck in development hell. So little content for 3 months.

Reactions: Crimsonfiend76

zh

Oct 17, 2017
Your skills will matter, they just don't here. I focused on etiquette, charm, and knowledge and got different dialog with her dad. Similar when I visited Arbitration and the Doc. I got little notifications that I had passed checks related to those skills.

I see what you are saying, and I think it is an interesting argument to make. True, the developer *could* have had six different versions of the scene and had it end the same way, but that's a lot of extra work for no discernable additional benefit. There have already been many moments where skills have mattered so far in altering dialog and scenes. So, we as players should have seen that are skills do matter, in certain context, making the fact that they don't matter here all the more powerful of a statement.
IMO, a matter of life or death of the MC is worth the extra work. Plus, the fact that we already saw those skills matter... is another reason why I almost tried to make a new game with another set of skills, just to see if that would make a difference in this particular scene. Fortunatly, I didn't.

I think the highest any skill can be by the point in game is 15 or so. So, even if you had 15 prowess you couldn't block her attacks because her skill is 100. Even if your perception was 15 her sneak is 100. You can't intimidate a crazy person anyway. The point of the scene is not that your skills will never matter, it is that they won't always be the deciding factor. And sometimes they aren't even a factor at all. Sometimes you have to use your smarts and know how to read the situation, outthink the enemy, and live to fight another day.
Who is better placed to appreciate/judge the skills of a lvl 2 character than a character as powerfull as Emilia? Exemple : even if the [perception] check always fails, she is powerful/expert... so very well placed to judge the [perception] skill of the MC and comment on his potential. Even if the [intimidation] always fails on a crazy, she laugh that MC is crazy enough to even try that... he can't try twice tho. That's all I hoped for.

Secondly, "read the situation"? I agree, reading the situation is important in this kind of game. But I will just say that the player has one reason to try ONCE despite the odds: MC already succeded to force Emilia to sleep in the car in a desperate situation.

Last edited:
  • Thinking Face

desmosome

Forum Fanatic
Sep 5, 2018

Exemples :
You focus on [prowess]? OK, MC tries to throw fist. Emilia blocks it easily... congratulates MC for being strong for a 2 days fledgling... and then if MC dares to struggle again, she just kills him.
You focus on [indimidation] or [street-smart]? OK, MC tries to intimidate or smart-ass his way around. She is only surprised by how bold MC is, saying "I double dare you to say this again". If MC says it again, he dies.
...You focus on nothing in peculiar or not so useful stats for this situation? The scene should play out like it was in this update. But here is my issue : I personnally choose to focus on [science], which is completly useless for this kind of situation (for obvious reasons). I thought that I should do another playthrough and focus on another stat and see what happens in this scene. Well... if I didn't read this thread, I would have lost 1 hour of my life.

There are some skill checks already. Like etiquette for dealing with important people and science when talking to doc. There are some other checks I'm forgetting too. If possible, I'm sure every dev wants to include every possible flavor text variations and alternate solutions to everything, but nothing is free. It all takes time and effort to create more variations.

In this specific case though, it doesn't matter what skills you have. If you payed attention, Emelia was pissed as all fuck and very alert and guarded. She isn't comfortable being dominated by some fledgling with unknown powers. She warns you that if he tries to pull ANYTHING she will immediately kill him. She isn't gonna laugh it off and praise the MC for having balls. Your measly 15 points in prowess or whatever ain't gonna do shit with her hand right on your chest ready to rip out your heart.

zh

Oct 17, 2017
There are some skill checks already. Like etiquette for dealing with important people and science when talking to doc. There are some other checks I'm forgetting too. If possible, I'm sure every dev wants to include every possible flavor text variations and alternate solutions to everything, but nothing is free. It all takes time and effort to create more variations.
Again, like I said in my post above, the fact that those skill already mattered... is actually the reason why I almost made a new character! I only expected variations according to skills... on a life/death situation.

In this specific case though, it doesn't matter what skills you have. If you payed attention, Emelia was pissed as all fuck and very alert and guarded. She isn't comfortable being dominated by some fledgling with unknown powers. She warns you that if he tries to pull ANYTHING she will immediately kill him. She isn't gonna laugh it off and praise the MC for having balls. Your measly 15 points in prowess or whatever ain't gonna do shit with her hand right on your chest ready to rip out your heart.
She is pissed and ready to kill, I'm not even arguing that... but again, I want to see variations, epecially in a life/death situation. If Chuck Norris tries to kill a person, this person will act differently according to their skills... or at least they try.

• Thinking Face

bosp

Jan 3, 2018
Yes. What you are saying is there should be not "mistakes" by the player that lead in bad choices at all. That is really really wrong. While I do agree that "fake choices are stupid" this was not a a fake choice. Fake choice is something that either changes absolutely nothing or makes no sense in picking AT THE MOMENT WITHOUT ADDITIONAL INFORMATION. I put it capslock so you can see the difference. The choice given is not like that. There was nothing suggesting it would lead to death. It was not something like "fight and live / surrender and die". You are using future knowledge to justify being a bad choice. That is absolutely nonsense from the point of view of both telling a story or decision under uncertainty theory.
Oh man, I was having so much fun and collecting nice socio-anthropological data during the course of this discussion but cohorts of teen vampire sagas paperbacks and VTM admirers are making it too complicated to enjoy it further.

Joe tried to give it his all to prove his point in a really really long post and I can only admire his perseverance.
You, on the other hand, sadly, did not bring anything new to this discussion. Maybe because you picked the wrong thing to quote?

The point in my statement you quoted was focused on unfortunate game design decisions.
You should pay more attention to the wording - the keyword was "unfortunate".

So why do I claim it was an unfortunate game design decision?
Joe's post gave us a nice trip down the memory lane of some games but what it failed to provide is that, from that time, the games evolved.

In the last couple of decades, there were numerous RPG Maker games that used GAME OVER mechanics on a standard basis, and so did a number of higher tier games.

Things happened, people did not like it so the whole system started to change, and "game over" started being used for the bad end story endings that had some content with an option to activate it if you wanted to see it.

In this world of games, AVN ones are a special case too.
Most of them are produced by small indie developers and live on generous patrons and, you know, small indie developers like to keep their audience entertained and try to avoid making game design decisions that can affect their audience's "happiness".

I also said, in another post: if the author is so bold as to, among say a total of 10 choice screens in the whole game include the one that leads to GAME OVER to prove some point then kudos to him.

And now we are back to the "unfortunate" game design decision, let me paraphrase what Uncle Fredo posted because he explained the sentiment far better than me:
I guess you missed my point.
I'll try again.
The writer controls the story. The writer controls the options available to the player. The writer and the player have an implicit contract. In this case the choice to fight is a death trap. That is why it's a false choice, and if you read my comment I indicated that it was a false choice in a sense, not that it met the strict criteria.

Undesirable refers to outcomes that are to one degree or another less than optimal. This choice isn't "undesirable" it's game ending. Your categorization of this outcome as undesirable is duplicitous at best.

Offering the choice to "fight" offers the possibility of success. That offer is a lie. Pure and simple. Writers who lie to their players suffer the consequences. As i said lazy writing and no surprise that some had a problem with it.

JoeTheMC84

Dec 1, 2021
IMO, a matter of life or death of the MC is worth the extra work. Plus, the fact that we already saw those skills matter... is another reason why I almost tried to make a new game with another set of skills, just to see if that would make a difference in this particular scene. Fortunatly, I didn't.

Who is better placed to appreciate/judge the skills of a lvl 2 character than a character as powerfull as Emilia? Exemple : even if the [perception] check always fails, she is powerful/expert... so very well placed to judge the [perception] skill of the MC and comment on his potential. Even if the [intimidation] always fails on a crazy, she laugh that MC is crazy enough to even try that... he can't try twice tho. That's all I hoped for.

Secondly, "read the situation"? I agree, reading the situation is important in this kind of game. But I will just say that the player has one reason to try ONCE despite the odds: MC already succeded to force Emilia to sleep in the car in a desperate situation.
I do think you raise an interesting point about a more powerful character being able to judge the MC's growing power. Perhaps Emilia isn't the best candidate for that, as she is a crazy person, or fickle to put it mildly. I think it might be interesting if after the scene maybe the guy, I forgot his name, had a comment, like as if he had seen the exchange but held back until Emilia was done with the MC. He could then comment of how the MC looks strong or perceptive but that he shouldn't feel bad because Emilia is just that good. Also, after the exchange she does seem to soften to the MC for showing her the proper respect, so she does seem to shift a bit towards him after he listens to her and doesn't fight back.

I will stick to my gun on the fact that she does let two attempts to lie slide. She says she will kill the MC if he tries anything she doesn't like, then once she loosens her grip the first things the MC tries to do is lie (saying he doesn't know what she is talking about), then she tightens and loosens again, and he tries to lie again, and she gives him the final chance before the choice the player makes. To me those two chances were already a show of her curiosity if not respect that you had bested her once.

But I can agree that maybe the scene could have used one or two extra lines of dialog, maybe if you have a high prowess, you get a variation of the lines about how she is. The line as it is says something about how she is stronger than the stones she is pressing the MC into, maybe that line could have a variable for stronger MC's. That would be fairly easy to code for in Ren'py.

4.50 star(s) 69 Votes