RPGM Abandoned The Coceter Chronicles [v0.15 Beta1] [Nverjos]

4.80 star(s) 38 Votes

Safetydummy

Jan 18, 2018
Just out of curiosity, why do most people insist on calling the Dev "he", If I remember correctly, it's in one of the extras or panties that you collect, the Dev says that her name is Courtney. Am I incorrect?

This is not your average "play 'n plug" game.

Okay, I have waited an awful long time to review and/or comment on this game- I had to get my thoughts and notes in order to do this properly. (Don't gush like a fanboy, don't gush like a fanboy, don't gush like a fanboy) <-mantra :)
First I would like to say that nothing I can say about this game will do it the justice that it so rightly deserves (keep in mind the last version I played was v.12, so it's been a while- but I think it said somewhere during one of the updates that old saves would no longer work with the, then, latest version. I have to go back and replay it again, but that's really not that much of a problem.
(All of this is based upon the original time playing it, but I can only imagine that the game has gotten that much better.)
I absolutely LOVE this game! I Love the characters, the story, the art, the models, the palette, the music, the everything! This game is in my Top 3 favorite games of all time! This game has such depth, emotion, layers, and heart- that it's really hard to even compare to other games in the similar genre. It is so well written and thought out that it's almost like reading a novel (which the Dev said was originally intended), but getting to interact with it at the same time. This game is so much more than a game- it's art, pure and simple.

The game starts with you being introduced to Tabitha (whom I absolutely adore!) and her background and history of her race and her people- and how they're looked down upon as less than everyone else around. They are subjugated, servile and that's all they will ever be- they are nothing and reminded of it everyday. When she's harassed by the guards early in the game- you see the prejudice and mistreatment that you can only assume was an everyday occurrence before you even start playing the game. No one comes to her aid or says anything to the guards until someone breaks it up because she was summoned or has somewhere else to be. (Details a bit fuzzy, sorry) You know in that instant that, had that event not happened, those guards would have done whatever to our poor, little Tabitha- and no one would have given it a second thought. It's like you're jumping into her life already in progress- and it hasn't been an easy one. This is within a short time after starting the game.

Then you have her forbidden relationship with the Princess, of all people, which you know wouldn't sit will with the gentry and royalty. You discover that she's been assigned to the Princess for most of (if not all of) her life and the two are inseparable- almost like sisters, and the way it's presented and written- you can see and feel that connection. (They are so cute together). Then you have the Prince, who discovers this little romance between the two, who has almost the same mentality as the guards- he can blackmail, use her, throw her away, and just have her at his beck-and-call- lest (or Lez, heh heh) he out the two of them. Tabitha knows what could happen to her friend/lover and decides that she'll do whatever she has to protect the Princess- she's not doing it for herself, she's grown accustomed to being mistreated and discarded- so you know it's not to save herself. It's this type of selfless sacrifice that makes you realize, that despite her demonic appearance- she's more human that those she serves (except the Princess, of course) and you also get the sense that the Princess would rather have their secret revealed than have Tabitha succumb to the Prince's demands. You can almost feel the bond that the two of them share.

At this point a little bit of Tabitha starts embed herself in your heart.

Then you discover that she has a much more important role within the Kingdom and outside of it as well- she is destined for greater things and despite how horrific her life and her experiences were up until that point- it doesn't change the type of person that she is, we all know that she's better than everyone else around her; her superiors recognize it, the Angels recognize it, even the Princess recognizes it- but it doesn't change who she is. She just as timid, quiet, and shy the first time you're introduced to her. She's still sweet and helps out those around her, as if it's just another day, not letting the fact that she's discovered that she's the "Chosen One", basically. Even while she's getting everything prepared for the ritual- she still has terrible things happen to her. She just takes it all in stride- whether it's because she's just so used to it or numb to it, she just keeps right on going. She is such an amazing character.

Once all of the pieces fall into place and she starts to prepare herself for her part in the prophecy that sends her to our world and she makes the journey- things don't get any easier for her. She still gets taken advantage of, violated, and treated almost as badly from the world she just left behind. This girl just cannot catch a break- no matter where she is, and you can't help but feel pity for her and wish that you could hold her close and tell that she's going to be okay. You're even given choices that, more or less, allude to this- and the poor thing still has nothing but problems. There are not a lot of games where you can feel this connected to a character (maybe the MC in Red Dead Redemption) and try to do your best that will minimize the damage that can be done to her- it feels as is she's suffered enough.

There are just so many great aspects to this game that make it what it is- it's better than a lot of shows on TV that are supposed to pass as entertainment and I have a feeling that this game will stand the test of time against other games that come out after it well into the future.

Here are just a few examples of how emotionally invested that I became in this game (hopefully some of you had similar experiences);
-There were a lot of time that I was, literally, ashamed at some of the choices that I had to make just to advance the plot. I actually felt personally responsible if something bad happened to Tabitha.
-It bothered me if I made her do something that seemed out of character for her (but kinda had to be done).
-After spending so much time with (we'll just call her demonic Tabitha) in her realm- it actually felt like you were cheating on her with the human Tabitha in our world. I know that they're the same person, but that's what it seemed like to me (at least).
-The best example is poor Tabitha's "violation" by the lake/pond (can't quite remember) at the hands of those two vile pigs- I saw it coming, and it was unavoidable- I, again literally, physically couldn't not bring myself to click on the mouse to let the scene happen. Again ashamed to advance the plot/story- I knew that I had no choice, and right before it happened- immediately after she told the Princess to leave and/or get help... I hesitated. I hoped that these events would happen in real time and the longer I waited to click the mouse button, that would inevitably affect what was about to befall Tabitha and effectively spell her doom- I (no lie) screamed at my laptop display, "Lily, you little Elven bitch- run faster! Get help! Can't you see what's about to happen?!"... In my mind, if I waited long enough- it would give Lily enough time to get help and return in time before they could lay a finger on her. When I realized help wasn't coming anytime soon- I sat there clenching my fists in silent rage, watching the events unfold, helpless, powerless to do anything. Yeah, I'm either that stupid or lonely. Then it dawned on me- I wasn't looking at this like it was a game or just something that I was influencing, it felt real- that Tabitha was truly in danger and it was up to me (from the outside looking in) to save her- to prevent that bad thing from happening to her- and I failed her. There was nothing I could say or do to make it any better- my apologies would just be hollow and meaningless. How many times has anything- from a book, movie, TV show, video game- had that profound an effect on you? Show of hands and be honest. Even when I saw it happening the second time- the rohypnol one, I immediately reverted to a previous save to avoid it. I have "saved" Tabitha. This probably sounds dumb to a lot of you, but hey- I feel what I feel AND it's not something that happens often (believe me). (Dev: Thank you, thank you, thank you for not making her cry after either of those tragic events- I may have had to quit playing the game right then and there. It would have been too much for me.)

Any way- before this starts to feel like a book report, I would just like the thank the Dev for creating such an awesome game- nay, an awesome interactive experience unlike any I have felt before with any H-game. That's just it though- this is so MUCH more that a simple "H" game, it just so happens to be an incredibly, beautiful woven tale with naughty bits in it. Also with that being said, just to give the fappers their day in the sun- their are some truly erotic and explicit scenes in this experience as well (the dressing-room GH pre-transformation, ginger Tabitha- ooooh, so hot) and they are rendered exquisitely (especially the ones in the [our world] shower, it almost looks like a different art style- like the renders were hand-painted or something) the colors are stunning. I'm sure that with all of my notes and memories from the last play-through- there are still things that I'm forgetting. I do know that once things in my life improves and I'm in a lot better shape- this IS going to be one of the games that I support. I feel that I owe it to the Dev for creating this masterpiece.

Now that I've made myself look a complete arse here are a couple of questions, hopefully (if you stuck it out this long and you're still here);
-If you don't agree to have happy, happy, sudsy, fun-time with Xara and opt to take the two coins that she offers you- can they be used in the wishing well inside the village? If so, do they do anything?
-Is there anyway to remove the text window, so that you can see all of the image and/or a way to take screenshots for, um, later "review"? (My hand gets tired "Alt + PrtScrn"ing and pasting into Paint.)

And to think I originally DL'd this game from another site because I thought the girl (Tabitha's face half-Demon/half-human face w/glasses) was cute. You just have to love a girl with horns and a tail...(if only they existed.) :)

P.S. Did I mention that absolutely Love Tabitha (and kinda in Love with her too)? ;)

(One final thought, and then I'll shut-up- I swear, this game is so incredibly epic- that poems, sonnets, and ballads should be written about it.) There will probably never be any games that could surpass this one.

Slutowner

Donor
Sep 24, 2017
Help, Tabby like my heart is broken, on the uploads I have the is no game.exe icon when unpacked, pasted an old one in from another version, initialises but only a blank screen.

Anyone know how to save her (me) from this terrible fate of non playing.

Thanks

Reactions: stever

Gomly1980

Forum Fanatic
Jul 4, 2017
Just out of curiosity, why do most people insist on calling the Dev "he", If I remember correctly, it's in one of the extras or panties that you collect, the Dev says that her name is Courtney. Am I incorrect?
Courtney is a unisex name. I have a friend called Courtney, he's male.

Reactions: Safetydummy

AKA101

May 11, 2017
I am on chapter 4, when i exit the main building on day 2 to meet Lady Yusara the game doesn't let me do anything, can't move or anything, even menu won't open, other characters are still moving around though.
Same bug and it will only happen if you choose threesome route otherwise it works

bosp

Jan 3, 2018
Same bug and it will only happen if you choose threesome route otherwise it works
Bummer, but that threesome is awesome - I refuse to play it the other way.
Will wait for the regular version without this bug to continue.

Reactions: RustyV

Safetydummy

Jan 18, 2018
Courtney is a unisex name. I have a friend called Courtney, he's male.
Well, that would be a new one on me. I have been trapped in this body for many years and, in all my travels, haven't encountered a dude named "Courtney". So, in my mind, when I hear the name- I just, typically, lean towards the female persuasion. It seems that this mystery has yet to be solved- I went back quite a few pages (into the 50's) and this was still a topic for debate back then- it's like a Toostsie-Pop, the world may never know...

Out of curiosity, if one were to guesstimate, how long do y'all think a complete playthrough of the current version would/should take realistically? After writing everything that I did earlier- I realized just how much I Love and miss this game, I just want to sit down and try to re-absorb all of it in one sitting. I do have the tendency to read rather fast, so that that into account for your calculations. :)

Any info is appreciated.

gobbet

Oct 11, 2017
Well, that would be a new one on me. I have been trapped in this body for many years and, in all my travels, haven't encountered a dude named "Courtney". So, in my mind, when I hear the name- I just, typically, lean towards the female persuasion. It seems that this mystery has yet to be solved- I went back quite a few pages (into the 50's) and this was still a topic for debate back then- it's like a Toostsie-Pop, the world may never know...
Courtney Vance, with his beautiful baritone voice.

Reactions: Safetydummy

Safetydummy

Jan 18, 2018
Courtney Vance, with his beautiful baritone voice.

Okay, that is definitely one instance. :) He is such a good actor- I skimmed through his appearances list, he's been good in everything that I've seen. Wow, I haven't been to IMDB since they did away with the Message Boards. lol

Creeping Death

dies in loneliness
Donor
Jan 28, 2018
Version .14 Beta 3 Update (Last beta for v.14)
May 18 at 4:37pm

Alright, last update for Beta's as far as Version .14 goes.
  • Fixed the Game Freezing bug when the Twinsome Quest is either not active or the Reward wasn't offered when it is active.
  • Few other bug fixes that I didn't write down... (Shame on me)
  • Rewrote the Ent Quest: The craftsman will now only accept the Ent Penis
  • Rewrote the Ent Scene: Should make more sense now that Tabitha would want to give up and walk away.
  • Finished the Twinsome Quest line, if it is active, resting on Day 2 in the Twins room should lead to a new scene.
  • Added the Final rest options to the beds for ending day 2, though I took out an auto-save, so save before using the beds.
  • Fixed the Sundials allowing time of day to change before training with Yusara on Day 2.
  • Changed the Moral Hole to use the same triggers as the Gloryhole in Chapter 2, so it resets properly on resting.
  • Fixed a bug with Taler that made him not appear in his house when he should. (After the first scene with Sage, Ava, and Taler)
  • Tatia's flower picking scene was moved to Night 2: This was done last update actually.

Reactions: ponyguy

smut

Jul 21, 2017
This is not your average "play 'n plug" game.
Happy to hear that others appreciated the game as much as I did. The storytelling and the MC is way beyond most other games, both adult and mainstream. These gems are few and far between and yeah this is easily among my top gaming experiences in any genre. And while there are flaws like in any other games, those hardly matter when the game manages to grab your attention and your emotions like in this case.

I'm curious about which other games you enjoy since it seems we share opinions on this game. I would love to hear some recommendations if you have any, whether that be games or any other content actually. I seem to spend a lot of efforts hunting for good experiences like this one, and I can very rarely find them in any medium.

RustyV

Conversation Conqueror
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Long Live the Princess.
Its not exactly like Coceter Chronicles, but it is set in a similar European Medieval theme and does include a pixie, elves, magic, good graphics and good story telling. Also the dev. very is active here on the game's thread and answers players questions.

Olivia_V

Jun 5, 2017
I can't seem to move Tabi once she gets out of the house in day 2 of chapter 4... How did you guys get around this bug?

RustyV

Conversation Conqueror
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
hey how do you apply the 2 patches to the game?
I know the instructions say add to main game, does that mean add to general game folder? Isn't there a specific file to add them to?

ponyguy

Engaged Member
Respected User
Feb 12, 2017
hey how do you apply the 2 patches to the game?
I know the instructions say add to main game, does that mean add to general game folder? Isn't there a specific file to add them to?
Just extract them into the game's folder and overwrite the old files.

Reactions: UncleVT

Safetydummy

Jan 18, 2018
Happy to hear that others appreciated the game as much as I did. The storytelling and the MC is way beyond most other games, both adult and mainstream. These gems are few and far between and yeah this is easily among my top gaming experiences in any genre. And while there are flaws like in any other games, those hardly matter when the game manages to grab your attention and your emotions like in this case.

I'm curious about which other games you enjoy since it seems we share opinions on this game. I would love to hear some recommendations if you have any, whether that be games or any other content actually. I seem to spend a lot of efforts hunting for good experiences like this one, and I can very rarely find them in any medium.

Apologies for not responding sooner- I'm currently in the middle of replaying Coceter Chronicles (as I said in an earlier post, my save games from V. 12 wouldn't work with the current build of the game)- so, I've been doing that. :)
I like a a lot of different games, to be totally honest, so if I were to recommend any games- it could be because they're just plain fun, well-written, have great art, and (as I'm finding out) some that can be emotionally stirring. I can give you a general list of games that I've enjoyed for one reason or another. :) Other than this one, obviously...
I can't say enough good things about "Long Live the Princess"- I really, really Love this game! (Belle is so adorable.)
Another really entertaining one is "Quest Failed", it has a lot of really great characters that you immediately fall in love with upon meeting them.
Daughter for Dessert, Parental Love, My Sweet Neighbors, Melody, "Sister, Sister, Sister", Mythic Manor, Perverted Family/Perverted Hotel, Four Elements Trainer- these are all great games with exceptional art/images and they're just plain fun to play. I was going to break them down individually, but I'm kinda tired. Hell, I've enjoyed games with no plot whatsoever, paper-thin premises, and art that wouldn't be worthy of putting on anyone's fridge- but they're just fun to play. Isn't that what games are supposed to be anyway- whether you get magickally transported into their world or just have a little, green rape-y orc side-scroll through a village smacking people (cannot seem to remember the name of that one currently, oooh this is going to bug me now...)- they're meant to be enjoyed or at least a pleasant distraction from whatever it is you're trying to escape.
Now if you're looking for some that are really going to tug on the ol' heartstrings- there's only 3 that I can think of, because they're the only 3 that moved me the way Coceter Chronicles did. If you manage to get through these games without feeling anything-you're either a robot or dead.
Teaching Feeling: Life With a Slave- a truly sad and beautiful game at the same time- I won't spoil it for you, but if you liked this one (Coceter Chronicles) you may enjoy this one as well.
Wolf Tails- despite it's cartoony appearance and exterior- it packs a punch, you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Emily: Sister Attraction- this one is kinda grind-y, but not in terms of gameplay- it's one of those AIF(?) games where you do a LOT of typing, but it is so worth it to get to the end. I don't know if it's on this site or not, but if you go to Palmer's Patreon page- you can DL it for free (he's also the genius behind "Daughter for Dessert").
These are all I can think about at the moment- I just finished a marathon session of Coceter Chronicles and finally got to the part with the new content that I haven't seen at all- going back through the looking glass after leaving the Larina's Tower, so my brain is kinda mushy at the moment. (I forgot how much I truly do Love this game!)
Oh yeah, Inheritance is shaping up to be a really good game as well- don't normally like the HTML format games, but this one is very promising.

Feel free to recommend a couple games yourself- I may or may not have played them- I just may have forgotten to mention them, as I've played through quite a few of them. Oh, Corruption and Glassix are 2 more that I really enjoy.
Goblin Walker- that's what it was called. (Now I can sleep after clearing up that mystery.)

4.80 star(s) 38 Votes