The Daz Studio and Related Product Deals Thread (Daz3D, Renderosity, Renderotica, etc.)

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote

Schlongborn

May 4, 2019
Why the hell DAZ has to make their purchasing so darned complex is ridiculous and absurd, unless it is DESIGNED to confuse the customer.
I agree, it is all meant to be confusing, and also addicting, so you spend way more then you should. So in a way the best move is not to play.

Despite that, the summer sale started, and I guess I do kind of qualify as "expert" just because I have been posting here. I have actually not looked too closely at the sale yet, because I kind of try to stay away from them to an extent (otherwise I spend money, instead of maybe using my time to actually make something with all these assets).

My first impression of the sale is that it is pretty much the same as before. Not particularly good, or bad. If you have tokens you can probably get good deals. The 60% off of memberships seems pretty good, I tried with one new release and 2 tokens and it goes to 75% off, there is also an orange banner for an additional 10% off.

I do think last year the summer sale also started kind of meh, then suddenly picked up after a week or so. Maybe I am misremembering though.

Last edited:

glassware

Oct 6, 2020
I have nothing against anyone who likes to play these marketing games. I just don't participate with companies that do them.
Ha, I don't think anyone likes this. We're pretty universally derisive of tokens. If I recall correctly, there was much rejoicing when Daz claimed they were ending, but of course they brought them back, in a new, more complicated, less valuable fashion.

Personally, I tend to post elaborately about gift card deals because unlike everything else, gift card deals apply to everything. (Yes, technically with a few exceptions.)

Essentially anything you buy with store credit from a gift card effectively has the gift card discount multiplied on top. You can bank up store credit when gift cards are cheap and apply them anytime you want after that. That deal is the opposite of complicated marketing deals; it's super simple and super valuable. But buying the gift card can involve those super shenanigans, so I like to break those down for people in this thread to help people decide whether it's worth getting gift cards at specific times or not. Just because it's I think it's worth sharing doesn't mean I like it!

I mean, heck, feel free to boycott them because of this scammy thing they do.

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Just noting that there are a couple of cheap buy-in new releases in today's Daz+ Summer Sale over at daz3d.com.

The rest of the sale is par for the course as far as what we've seen so far this month, but it should be a double token day if such things interest you.

Also, one of the main reasons I kicked off this thread was so that we could discuss the various sales without having to worry about Daz3D.com moderators deleting posts for whatever reason, and also so that if any beneficial glitches pop up, to give people here the chance to jump on those before Daz3S.com CS has a chance to adjust those.

Glitches are a lot more rare these days of course.

Last edited:
Reactions: oaiki and amster22

SvenVlad

Modder
Aug 11, 2017
Just noting that there are a couple of cheap buy-in new releases in today's Daz+ Summer Sale over at daz3d.com.

The rest of the sale is par for the course as far as what we've seen so far this month, but it should be a double token day if such things interest you.

Also, one of the main reasons I kicked off this thread was so that we could discuss the various sales without having to worry about Daz3D.com moderators deleting posts for whatever reason, and also so that if any beneficial glitches pop up, to give people here the chance to jump on those before Daz3S.com CS has a chance to adjust those.

Glitches are a lot more rare these days of course.
Could be a good chance to renew the Daz+ membership with these cheap buy-ins.

1717430174002.png

It's a better deal than when I bought at Christmas.

oaiki

Mar 19, 2020
Glitches are a lot more rare these days of course
Yes, and those that I have spotted are not working in our favour ... like the Daz+ Membership reducing to $14.11 in your cart but getting a processing error when trying to complete the transaction ...

Reactions: amster22

oaiki

Mar 19, 2020
Could be a good chance to renew the Daz+ membership with these cheap buy-ins.

View attachment 3700984

It's a better deal than when I bought at Christmas.
I got that down to $19.60 with 8 tokens ... but could not complete the transaction with my store credit ... Just tried again, Payment Method / Details seemed to have disappeared from my profile ... still can't use Store Credit though ...

1717431205876.png

• Sad

SvenVlad

Modder
Aug 11, 2017
I got that down to $19.60 with 8 tokens ... but could not complete the transaction with my store credit ... Just tried again, Payment Method / Details seemed to have disappeared from my profile ... still can't use Store Credit though ...

View attachment 3701022
Try sending them a ticket. Others people in the forums used this method too.

Reactions: amster22 and oaiki

glassware

Oct 6, 2020
Yeah, I got the same price, and the order wouldn't go through.

Daz forums are full of people who were complaining about this on June 1st when a similar deal was available; yesterday they followed up and mods said they hadn't heard back from Daz; now it's day 3 and still no word on it.

Last edited:
Reactions: amster22 and oaiki

oaiki

Mar 19, 2020
Try sending them a ticket. Others people in the forums used this method too.
Daz forums are full of people who were complaining about this on June 1st
Yes, I saw the forums, and raised a ticket... I did have the price down to $14 when I started; didn't want to loose today's price so I fixed my payment methods and used money, lost the extra SC discount but 72% is a reasonable discount.

glassware

Oct 6, 2020
Yes, I saw the forums, and raised a ticket... I did have the price down to $14 when I started; didn't want to loose today's price so I fixed my payment methods and used money, lost the extra SC discount but 72% is a reasonable discount.
Good news for me and anyone who was waiting, sad news for you: I just tried my order again and it worked.

Reactions: oaiki

jkjyuio

Jan 23, 2022
Daz are just doing what they need to to sell digital goods. It's different from physical items. Every time Daz make a sale they get "free money". OK, it's not actually free, but you get the idea.

Most of their shenanigans i think is to keep people coming back to look. Hopefully they'll then make more sales. Also to try shifting more. And to sell things early to help PA's.

Annoyingly though, you have a point. There are things I'm after that I'm just waiting for to be at my price. They will get there. However, it would be a lot easier if I could just make an offer, pay it and be done with it.

Now, there's a idea, price bidding?

Falcon6

Mar 15, 2018
Now, there's a idea, price bidding?
Well, aren't most people (not all...I know) on a "pirate" forum already "price bidding"? Their price is "zero". :LOL:

Unless some (like me) refuse to pay for an asset until I can try it first (like others I know here who do the same thing). But I've lost count of how many downloads I've made here (and other "free" sites) because the Promo pictures of the asset looked great (can you say "PhotoShop"?). Then I installed it and it was a disaster to work with because the textures weren't optimized (size or quality), or a plethora of other possibilities that just made using the asset not worth it. So I just delete it and will never purchase it. I WILL go back and purchase assets that I think are worth the price for the effort the developer put into them, but honestly MOST assets nowadays aren't worth the ORIGINAL asking price (or even the "SALE!" prices in many cases). When I started using DAZ in 2020 as a "Gotta find something to do at home while COVID lockdown-ed" you would usually get a FULL clothing asset as one product at one fair(er) price. Now four years later many full outfits are SEPARATE tops, bottoms, shoes, etc, EACH being sold with an original price of $19.95 or something else totally ridiculous. I don't care how good that complete outfit might be. I'm never going to pay $60 for 4 separate items to make a complete outfit. Nor will I pay a "bundled" price it may be included in when that "bundle" has lots of stuff I don't want to begin with. Even at a 70% off "SALE!" it's still overpriced to me and I'll just keep using the "free" download I got.

Just a different point of view.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: OhWee and oaiki

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Yeah, 'try before you buy', acquiring assets by other means first, rather than having to deal with returning an asset via Daz Customer Service, well this is a buccaneer forum...

As for the whole 'selling costumes as pieces', well usually the associated bundles can eventually be acquired for cheap, but this all comes down to how stingy the Daz sales team is feeling with their sales at any given time.

As a number of you know, my target price at Daz3D.com is $2 or less per item (average). The problem here is that Daz Customer Service has trained a few of us to wait until prices drop to around $2 or less (average price in cart) before we consider buying stuff. This means more complicated sales and discount stacking.

I still say that rather than playing this game with the Daz3D.com customers, if they just priced stuff lower to begin with and had more straight up sales, without tokens and such, then I MIGHT consider a 70% off discount. Other stores often have the base price set lower, which makes me a bit more willing to break the $2 average rule that I have for Daz3D.com.

Other software product stacks (say 3DSMax, Maya, etc.) often have MUCH higher base prices for assets, which is one of the things that makes Daz Studio a bit more compelling. Even the Blender store has slightly to much pricier assets, I'm not sure what level of discounts are offered at the Blender store.

Blender is useful if you want to take the time to learn it, but the other beauty of Daz Studio is how easy it is to throw characters and scenes together, assuming that you have the associated assets. In a lot of ways, Daz Studio has helped 'democratize' rendering for a lot of people, which is a good thing.

Blender does this to an extent too, but in my experience it's not as newbie friendly, if you are just looking to tell a story with characters, outfits, props, and environments for cheap.

It IS possible to go the 100% free route with Daz Studio, without acquiring assets by other means. Your product library won't be very big, but there's enough there, along with the 'legally free' freebies that you can find on other sites, to tell a story if you want.

But of course, it's the 'other' paid assets that suck us all in.

The sheer number of 'relatively more reasonably priced' assets in the Daz3D.com store is the other main selling point. But of course you should never pay full price at the Daz3D.com store, 'cuz of the sales. So this means cart jenga and a lot of patience spent shopping that could be spent creating and rendering instead...

But of course, people burn out on Daz cart jenga eventually. I did a while back, and these days I just watch the lightning deals for decent discount stacking (around 90%+), and watch the posts here for sales I should pay attention to. I have a LOT of assets in my Daz Studio library already, so I have pretty much all I need now, I'm just watching for interesting new assets for cheap. Others here have smaller libraries of course, so it's more worthwhile for y'all to play the tokens game etc.

In the end, you just need to find your comfort zone r.e. how much you are willing to pay on average (i.e. cart total price divided by # of assets in cart) for each asset, and stick to your guns on that.

I almost never buy poses, 'cuz I have a decent pose collection already from freebies, pose packs found in bundles, etc., same for lighting EXCEPT for HDRIs of course. I'm mainly interested in outfits, environments, props and to a slightly lesser extent new characters for my Daz Studio harem of hotties and to a lesser extent dudes to strap Dicktator on to... also creatures.

So yeah, it is what it is, so you play the Daz3D.com cart jenga game or you don't. Just pick your comfort level and always remember that there is always another sale, unless an asset should end up disappearing from the Daz3D.com store before you end up buying it of course.

I just wish that Renderosity would drop their Prime membership prices to what they were before, I don't shop there very often but I do have a somewhat sizeable wishlist over there... Renderosity cart jenga is a bit more straightforward, but of course being a Prime member does help with pricing a tiny bit, plus those coupons and cash back points...

A number of Renderosity vendors have been moving over to the Daz3D.com store recently, which has helped with this, but this makes me sad as it gives me fewer reasons to shop at Renderosity (i.e. wishlist stuff moving over to Daz3D.com), and I'd like to see the Renderosity store stick around, which means they need customers...

Last edited:

jkjyuio

Jan 23, 2022
Totally agree. Right now im not seeing much in terms of any real "sale". This Summer sale seems lame so far. Perhaps it will improve (they tend to, so to rope you in). Regarding the point about splitting outfits into bundles, yes, this is annoying. But it backfires when people dont buy.

Im a sucker for sci-fi outfits, and it's a big extra for me if its 8.1 and 9, rather than just 9. I wish more PAs did that.

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
I'm still using Genesis 2, 3 and 8 in my projects, so other than the possibility of maybe autofitting G9 to G8 or G3, yeah I've decided that 8 (and 8.1) is my cutoff as far as chasing generations.

I have a buttload of morphs for G3 and G8, so for me the older generations are much more useful than G9 is.

I'm sure G9 has some cool visual tweaks that might make it slightly more realistic, I just don't care. To each their own though, nothing wrong with having your own preferences and using G9 if you like G9!

I use Daz Studio mainly for storytelling purposes, and having your own preferred style for storytelling is definitely a thing! 'Good enough for my purposes' has been my mantra for years.

In any case, I'm sure everyone noticed that there's a new batch of freebies. Nothing particularly notable, but free is free!

Not sure what the whole Mixamo thing is all about, does anyone here have any opinions on that?

oaiki

Mar 19, 2020
Adobe Cloud based animation studio thing, currently free; I guess it will be until it is fully assimilated into the Adobe Creative Cloud... I tend to stay clear of cloud stuff.

A wise man once told me: "There is no such things as the 'Cloud', it's just another man's computer"

oaiki

Mar 19, 2020
Would someone be kind enough to enlighten me?

What is ? Seems to me that it is too expensive even when Free.

Am I missing something?

• Thinking Face
5.00 star(s) 1 Vote