OfficiallyGames

Game Developer
May 23, 2020
So... The release date has been missed multiple times, and now it was promised at the end of last month, which they also didn't make, and now they finally have it ready, only to deliver it slowly over the patreon tiers? With how incredibly long this has taken, that's a stupid thing imo.

Just my personal opinion tho
Well considering patreons are basically paying customers and we're basically pirates on this site.... i think this is pretty fair, plus its not like were waiting long for a public release (probably will come earlier anyway since this is a pirate site) compared to other devs who wait for the next update before they release the current update to public.

Edit: Plus the release date was always gonna be the release for the patreon tiers not public

yltohawk

Mar 19, 2019
So... The release date has been missed multiple times, and now it was promised at the end of last month, which they also didn't make, and now they finally have it ready, only to deliver it slowly over the patreon tiers? With how incredibly long this has taken, that's a stupid thing imo.

That is a very self centered view... Hopes need's revenue to survive so those who have loyally stood by him reap the rewards, unlike many of us who are just plain pirates.

Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019
Damn it, I was planning the "so when next abandonment joke" and now already 15 people or so made it.

I don't remember that we were promised anything. Those who may or may not claim broken promises should do so elsewhere.

Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019
That is a very self centered view... Hopes need's revenue to survive so those who have loyally stood by him reap the rewards, unlike many of us who are just plain pirates.
Actually, he doesn't. Well, he needs revenue, but this game is just a side project (pretty large side though), he is intentionally not going full time, which is one of the reasons why update speed comparisons with many other projects do not gel.

Anthaeus

Dec 9, 2018
[/start rant at impatient people]

If someone offered you $50 to fuck you in the ass, someone else offered you $0 to fuck you in the ass and Luna stood behind you with a double barreled shotgun and said she'd unload both barrels up your ass if you didn't take a cock which would you chose?

Of course the paying customers get the goods first, penniless pirates like me and you have to wait for a nice person with money to upload the game here, and the people paying enough money to get the initial release want to play the game before uploading it.

Also, they are kinda like an extra set of testers who might find additional issues which would cause posts like, "WFT! 200 fucking years between updates, 10 years of fucking testing and there are still fucking bugs?!?!", and we get enough of those sort of posts already thank you.

[/end rant]

Hmm, the thought of Luna with a double barreled shotgun is getting me excited, where's my box of tissues?

Jul 17, 2019
Well considering patreons are basically paying customers and we're basically pirates on this site.... i think this is pretty fair, plus its not like were waiting long for a public release (probably will come earlier anyway since this is a pirate site) compared to other devs who wait for the next update before they release the current update to public.

Edit: Plus the release date was always gonna be the release for the patreon tiers not public
Damn it, I was planning the "so when next abandonment joke" and now already 15 people or so made it.

I don't remember that we were promised anything. Those who may or may not claim broken promises should do so elsewhere.
I see the point, but I am a patreon, not the highest tier or anything, but I do contribute as well, the fact that it's getting a tiered release is what bothers me mostly, since someone who has 50$ disposable income being a 5$ patreon is worth more imo than someone who has 1000$ disposable income being a 30$ patreon. (not describing my personal situation, just hypothetically)

Again, just my personal opinion.

Anthony2

Jan 7, 2019
considering how long each update takes he really should just drop it for for 5 and above rather then slowly release i doubt the people who are always 30$ tier care if the lower tier get it at the same time as them

Ayhsel

Chocolate Vampire
Donor
May 9, 2019
I see the point, but I am a patreon, not the highest tier or anything, but I do contribute as well, the fact that it's getting a tiered release is what bothers me mostly, since someone who has 50$ disposable income being a 5$ patreon is worth more imo than someone who has 1000$ disposable income being a 30$ patreon. (not describing my personal situation, just hypothetically)

That may sound nice but that is not how capitalism works. It is irrelevant how big an expenditure is compared to your budget. In fact, take your point to the extreme and it renders the concept of wealth pointless. If the price of everything related to your wealth in a proportional way, everybody would have the same real wealth.

considering how long each update takes he really should just drop it for for 5 and above rather then slowly release i doubt the people who are always 30$ tier care if the lower tier get it at the same time as them
It is usually bad to change the rules in the middle of the game. Given that those paying so much were probably doing so in part because they did not want to have to wait more. So if now suddenly you change the rules, those that did pay might feel "scammed" and all later "rules" may not be believable, essentially destroying the tier system.
It is something potentially to be discussed after the update is release. But i seriously doubt that.
And in fact, your argument could be used the other way around: given how much it takes, what are a few extra days for those that have already waited a year?

Anyway, nothing we can do but wait now. Be happy that sooner or later, update will be leaked.

Anthony2

Jan 7, 2019

i get that this a a pirate site but damn u saying patreons are customers is so far from the truth of patreon, seeing how the dev isnt bound by normal stuff patreons are donaters not customers we donate for the possibity that they finish their work. imo all tiers are the same its weather u want to give more money or have a bigger income and say fuck it i want to see this game finished so im risking giving money to a project that might not be finished.
there are so many games where people gave money and the dev abandoned it without saying anything, or countine to give updates but never have anything to release.

Reactions: User1230

Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019

How about somebody with $50 disposable giving $30? And who is going to check your financial situation and thus engagement? In the end, I consider it perfectly normal if he who pays more gets more service. Apart from certain basic rights which everybody should have (communism!) like access to food, water, housing, medical services and so on, that's perfectly okay with me, and "earlier access to a video game" certainly isn't one of the most basic necessities.

Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019
i get that this a a pirate site but damn u saying patreons are customers is so far from the truth of patreon, seeing how the dev isnt bound by normal stuff patreons are donaters not customers we donate for the possibity that they finish their work. imo all tiers are the same its weather u want to give more money or have a bigger income and say fuck it i want to see this game finished so im risking giving money to a project that might not be finished.
there are so many games where people gave money and the dev abandoned it without saying anything, or countine to give updates but never have anything to release.
You are correct that indeed Patreon is about supporting the creator, not about buying the product as such. Then again, patreonees give rules - they make tiers with certain benefits - and changing those rules willy-nilly is not the solution as Ayhsel correctly pointed out. The more general question of whether this is "right" or "wrong" is not to be answered here, but either with patreon themselves or at least in the corresponding page over there. As it is, people knew what they were signing up for and what they were not signing up for.

4.40 star(s) 492 Votes