pxt-666

Dec 12, 2018
I am just putting fact and nothing serious.

The "Jalan" is from "Kaskar Family". Father's name "Parvez Kaskar" Its a Muslim community. And they don't put red mark on their forehead. I guess makers tried to co relate this to India or something but fact is that its Hindu thing not Muslims. Hindus call it "Tilak" , its their ritual.

Just an info for make it more realistic. Please don't judge me for that.

• Haha
Reactions: Canto Forte

Carcosa_

May 14, 2019
The game is pretty decent quality, but damn the updates take a while.

I think the dev has to think in more practical terms here, because if the average update takes 4-5 months to release, and the game is gonna need 6-7 updates more to actually be called finished, then we're looking at over 2 more years of development time. What are the chances that real life issues won't get in-between him and this project? Or that he won't simply grow bored of it?

Look at how many games end up abandoned because of this same exact reason.

I hope I'm wrong and/or the release cycle gets smaller, cause otherwise I really doubt this will ever be completed.

Nekura

Dec 5, 2017

I think the dev has to think in more practical terms here, because if the average update takes 4-5 months to release, and the game is gonna need 6-7 updates more to actually be called finished, then we're looking at over 2 more years of development time. What are the chances that real life issues won't get in-between him and this project? Or that he won't simply grow bored of it?

I hope I'm wrong and/or the release cycle gets smaller, cause otherwise I really doubt this will ever be completed.
This game usually gets an update every 2 - 2 1/2 months but was delayed this month. Feel free to use the search feature to look up the posts. Given that HopesGaming is basically creating this game solo I think he's been doing an overall great job at balancing good sized updates in a reasonable amount of time. All I can say is keep up the great work it's worth the wait.

HopesGaming

The Godfather
Game Developer
Dec 21, 2017
@HopesGaming
since u called Call of the Void a good quality Game and i absolutely agree with you on that
i wonder any other Games u would recommend ?
makes waiting for a new Release of DeLuca easier.. ;)
p.s. oops big mistake i made i meant Heavy Fife - guess one drink too many yesterday...
Acting lesson from DrPinkCake and his new game Being a DIK
Depraved Awakening from PhillyGames and his new game City Of Broken Dreamers

I am just putting fact and nothing serious.

The "Jalan" is from "Kaskar Family". Father's name "Parvez Kaskar" Its a Muslim community. And they don't put red mark on their forehead. I guess makers tried to co relate this to India or something but fact is that its Hindu thing not Muslims. Hindus call it "Tilak" , its their ritual.

Just an info for make it more realistic. Please don't judge me for that.
That is very true indeed. But notice how in the dialogue wheel the red mark is explained as some kind of ritual for the Family members and not as the Hindu mark? The advantages of creating your own universe, you can turn everything upside down. I'm weird I know, heh.

I understand that the updates can feel like it takes long as there have been two delays in a row. But remember the game is only at 0.04 so not many samples of updates to judge the overall update speed on.
You can't take these two last update as "well this is something that will always happen". Life is life, the unexpected happens and the only thing you can do is adept and move on.
I disagree that this is the case for abandoned games. It's usually the other way around in fact. People start a hobby and want to make a living of something, it goes well at the start but life throws a curveball and you have to delay stuff. You cannot throw away your livelihood, health, and what not due to a hobby.
But then the pressure starts as the pitchfork and torch mob starts gathering. The patrons start to fall (contrary to popular beliefs milking is not really possible unless you in the top earner spot).
This gives the dreaded feeling of "can I make it back, I lost too much, is it too late now, is this even worth it, etc."
In reality, a dev simply needs to ignore those negative feelings and thoughts and get back on the saddle. But the truth is, many are new to the 'professional' marked and buckle under.

It differs from game to game as the playerbase is different for each. I've been in the fortunate position that the vast majority has been understanding of my situation. Not that the pitchfork mob ain't there but they are few among the many supporters.
And this, in turn, gives the dev a feeling of "I have to work double so hard to show I deserve their support."
Players have more power than they realize. Be that positively (encouragement) or negatively (abandonment).

And finally- if I grow bored with DeLuca?
Now, some people here are going to disagree with me but I do not believe anyone here loves DeLuca as much as I do.
People can love Luna, Cordia, Gracie, etc. more than me but DeLuca itself? Yeah, that is simply not possible, heh.

Jugo66

Dec 6, 2018
HopesGaming i love your artstyles and the way of your games same as many of your listed possibilities , but on the other side i must say you are wrong in the part with the power of the Patreons. Its a shame that it is going down in this direction that many scream on the devs , but let us see the People´s side after that so many abondended Games and milked Patreons . For me its not good either that they start madness so fast but it gives to many reasons why it started to bring more and more People to this mood swing. Ok many are ignorant and dont see what really is needed to do such stuff by themself and that evrything needs time but others started only after many bad memory´s from other Dev´s . I see booth sides from the Dev´s who have to do their Lifestuff and the creation and the Supporters who sometimes should look wich Dev really should be avoided and dont make bad mood on the wrong People :) Sry for my bad englisch ^^

HopesGaming

The Godfather
Game Developer
Dec 21, 2017
HopesGaming i love your artstyles and the way of your games same as many of your listed possibilities , but on the other side i must say you are wrong in the part with the power of the Patreons. Its a shame that it is going down in this direction that many scream on the devs , but let us see the People´s side after that so many abondended Games and milked Patreons . For me its not good either that they start madness so fast but it gives to many reasons why it started to bring more and more People to this mood swing. Ok many are ignorant and dont see what really is needed to do such stuff by themself and that evrything needs time but others started only after many bad memory´s from other Dev´s . I see booth sides from the Dev´s who have to do their Lifestuff and the creation and the Supporters who sometimes should look wich Dev really should be avoided and dont make bad mood on the wrong People :) Sry for my bad englisch ^^
Don't misunderstand, I wasn't talking about the people who pledge or unpledged. That is always understandable. Be that real-life finance, finding other devs, delays, and whatnot. Part of the life of Patreon.
I used it as an example on how patrons fall after a couple of delays and the feeling it gives to the dev and not that it wasn't understandable. Not my situation either as mine have been pretty stable luckily (granted I did pause billing this month due to the delay)
I just hate the word milking and that may sound biased because I'm a dev myself. But in reality, it's such a rare thing when looking at the overall picture. Looking at it logically, the top earners are 1% and those are the ones that really can milk as losing lots of patrons does not mean much for them compared to how much they have. The rest does not make nearly enough to justify a big lose in their profit to start 'milking'. If you make a million ( just a random big number) and you lose a junk of that, you won't really feel saddened as you still have a big amount. But if you make $1000 and delays (or as some call it- milking) then you can get down to $500. Is it really worth losing half your income because you want to 'milk' for a month or two? Of course not.
Then there are the scumbag devs that make a lot of 0.01 under different names and never work on em again.
But those are easily remedied by noticing their patterns (they're lazy and never change the code, art, style or anything) and waiting to the patron after a couple of updates in.

I agree with you. A dev should not listen to the negativity, but alas, people are people and some take feedback harsher than others. I'm stubborn and really good at not taking anything to heart. Or else my game would be a pure fuckfeast by now due to all the complaints about adult stuff, haha.
Nothing wrong with your English

Carcosa_

May 14, 2019
And finally- if I grow bored with DeLuca?
Now, some people here are going to disagree with me but I do not believe anyone here loves DeLuca as much as I do.
People can love Luna, Cordia, Gracie, etc. more than me but DeLuca itself? Yeah, that is simply not possible, heh.
There's been plenty of super passionate devs that came to the realization that they'd have to keep working for years on their own games in order to actually finish them, and they simply abandoned the games. If you search the "game" category and start from the oldest page, you'd see more than half of those games back then (western ones) ended up with the abandoned tag.

You can't take these two last update as "well this is something that will always happen". Life is life, the unexpected happens and the only thing you can do is adept and move on.
That's what I'm hoping, but I've seen this pattern before to the point where this is really typical. So I wish you keep enjoying to work on it and finish it eventually.

This game usually gets an update every 2 - 2 1/2 months but was delayed this month.
Well, it turned 4 months a couple of days ago since the last update, and I doubt that the game will be released this month. So that's delayed more than just 1 month.

HopesGaming

The Godfather
Game Developer
Dec 21, 2017
There's been plenty of super passionate devs that came to the realization that they'd have to keep working for years on their own games in order to actually finish them, and they simply abandoned the games. If you search the "game" category and start from the oldest page, you'd see more than half of those games back then (western ones) ended up with the abandoned tag.

That's what I'm hoping, but I've seen this pattern before to the point where this is really typical. So I wish you keep enjoying to work on it and finish it eventually.

Well, it turned 4 months a couple of days ago since the last update, and I doubt that the game will be released this month. So that's delayed more than just 1 month.
That won't be a problem since I expected this to be a long-time commitment. It's not uncommon for a game to take 2+ years in development. It's just that we usually just see the end product and we never really think about the time it takes to make a game. For a simple VN sure it can be low (1 year to under), but anything else takes a big time commitment. So no surprise from my side.
Also, I don't think about the completed tag at all. It's not something I strive for. When the game has told what it needs to tell, then I finish it.

Nekura

Dec 5, 2017
What can I say, life's a bitch and there's not much anyone can do about it. Even AAA games with multi-million dollar budgets and huge dev team can end up being delayed. The update will be released when it's ready as long as I know that development is ongoing I can live with delays every now and then.

BisonFan02

Apr 2, 2018
I think it would be more benficial to do smaller updates and like every month, in that way the patron number would prolly go up to the 500 mark a few months ago. So we could get big updates every month as it's now his full time job.
To each their own.....I'd have a hard time making this a "full time job" regardless....many devs have success and also keep a reg gig. Monthly updates at the expense of a good start/stop in an update also don't move the needle much for me.

skydra

May 4, 2017
here is my unofficial android port of The DeLuca Family v0.04.1.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
have fun and please report problems (you can reach me ).
updated: 07.04.2019
gets stuck when choosing the name help

BTungsteno

Jul 10, 2019
There's been plenty of super passionate devs that came to the realization that they'd have to keep working for years on their own games in order to actually finish them, and they simply abandoned the games.
9ce4ce26485.jpg

On-Topic: I'm sure he's doing an amazing job and will keep going delivering more of this awesome-spicy story.

Don't worry,sometimes delays happens,i understand the feeling/urge of wanting to read/play/watch more, i think that almost all the games i played and liked from this page ended delayed a few months :unsure: ::X-files music::

Scyra

Jun 27, 2017
Ya I feel like if you read this thread his interest is quite apparent, so no worries there. Now life coming up and kicking him down, well that is always a worry, but that wouldn't really change if he did have shorter releases.

4.40 star(s) 491 Votes