Maevos

May 4, 2019
There is no lore dump. Whatever you learn about the world and the people in it, you learn it through conversations, slowly. I was put off by the opening scene at first because it begins in medias res and that might be confusing but as I progressed through the story I got hooked.

MC is neither a simp nor a white knight. He is fully aware of his position in the world and wants to do good for the people around him but doesnt shy away from getting his hands dirty.

To be honest I was pleasantly surprised by this game and I am waiting for the next update. Definitely deserves to be supported.

Zzm19

Jan 27, 2022
First, thank you. It pleases me that people think more in depth about the story.

To respond to your points:

A. Yes. The mortal kingdoms are dying. A lot of people cannot feed themselves, let alone afford shelter. Hence the growing number of slaves, and bandits. Perhaps not 20%...more like 10-15. And the tailor is the daughter of a rich man...not depicted yet. But your point stands overall.

B. Only collared slaves, with the brand on the neck, must obey no matter what. The normal slaves cannot lie, but retain their free will. And you can only talk to your slave telepathically. And you need to be a mage for that. If a slave is not collared, he/she can decide for herself to follow the order or not. And suffer the consequences...

C. True to an extent. Very few mages could overcome Athagan's brand. But the MC has a lot of raw power, but lacks control. A future scene explains that: it is like a door with a lock. Athagan's brand is like a strong oak door reinforced by metal with a complex and well-built lock. Henri's door has no lock to speak of, but is made of steel and weighs 20 tons...with a little extra something on top.

You also need to be in physical contact with the slave to transfer a brand.

It is also punishable by death/slavery to steal a slave from its owner...and the owner feel when the brand is broken/taken over.

D. Atetans are nearly the most powerful mages in the mortal world, second only to the high elves. In part because they like to mingle sexually with other races, which makes them more likely to end up with arcane-sensitive genes into them.
But high elves have an incredibly low birth rate...and their manners make them unappealing to other races so they are less likely to interbreed, and without strong allies too.
When it comes to the arcane, Aetas is the standard that other human countries compare themselves to.

E. I don't see how, at least in Aetas. You must have access to the slave to overcome the brand. And the owner would be warned immediately. The type of uprising you think of is just not possible.

Of course, in other countries where they use more archaic brands...and tend to collar all their slaves...who knows... :D

The demons do not need to do that anyways. They are winning. The population is declining. A few centuries ago, the level of technology was more akin to the Victorian era, with magic mixed into it. They had black powder guns. Skyships with cannons. They were free of diseases and the crops were bountiful. Now...well, more like dark/middle ages after a plague. A lot was lost.

Demons thought that the time was right a couple decades ago or so. But a single group of 5 individuals thwarted their plans. Enough for the armies of the mortal kingdoms to win in the field at least.

As for the asset, I think it's included in HS1. Not sure. All the versions I tried had it...but I never installed HS from scratch. I am sure I did not add it as a mod though.
Interesting. I am afraid that if I like your story I will over analyze it to death. I appreciate the history, that does change my perception of the story (It was clear magic was lost, but that is such a common story element/mcguffin that is meaningless). Like I said, I didn't have much to extrapolate from, and the scene with Nearsala (sp?) implied it could be done from a distance (on the other hand, I am aware of the amount of time it takes to make even a slight scene change in neo-studio so I wasn't sure). Of course I also don't know how powerful the demons are, or what their actual plans are (since it is just the beginning of the story.) It seemed logical they may be more of the "twisted wish granting" variety, (which is clearly what devils are, but there have to be some limits on the demons as well) able to override normal limitations of magic. I am glad to know that most of my guesses were otherwise right (even if I couldn't remember the name of the kingdom), it was also implied that they were ahead of the other nations magically (and I had also assumed the elves since the elves lost), and I assumed that breaking the connection would be noticeable, just not relevant in my scenario. I did see the collaring part of course, but in historical societies with a lot of slaves they can have different social statuses just like everyone else (these could be quite high, outranking even some nobles), so I didn't realize it also worked differently. I didn't know about it being more a sign (and also presumably a tracking device). And of course, the story is clear that Henri is very powerful for his experience. I did find it interesting that slaves aren't considered salvage (unless there is some sort of automatic brand transfer going on, or he was actually asking about everything and not just her which is not how the dialog seems to run), and am left wondering how a brand is transferred to a non-mage but like I said, over analyzing is my strong suit. I'd write a story, but instead would just spend several months with obsessive world building to answer every question I think of as I think of it.
And just to prove the analyzing issue, a clarification that I didn't mean all slaves would have the same status: the king might have slaves in charge of something that outrank nearly everyone (and have the soldiers to ensure it), and the bottom field hand gets a pound of bean hulls for dinner if the oxen haven't eaten them all. The Romans and Greeks had this level of variety.
And an actual argumentative statement: it is stated that Athagan only has slaves for staff since they are loyal, which implies the brand does more than just prevent lies, it has to also constrains actions. ( and loyal subordinates are also usually obedient)

One last edit: please don't feel any obligation to discuss anything story or history wise, I am enjoying learing about your world as the story progresses, these are just thoughts that occurred to me, and for once I actually put them in a comment.

I use HS2, but I do have HS1, i will have to see if I can get that out and if it will work in HS2. (more time on the learning curve, for probable failure since it isnt' already there.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Vanderer

Vanderer

Game Developer
Dec 8, 2017
A few points that are not spoilers, or were answered in the update already out on patreon that will be released for free soon so I can answer freely. (You will forgive me my little plug :D)

-Demons and devils are different things. Demons came from another plane, where they did fill a similar role than demons. But in the plane the story happens, devils are led by Asmodeus. He is more...how to say that...reasonable than his demon counterpart, and more importantly, more intelligent. He knows that if devils are known to not respect deals, no more deals will be made. Of course, like you say it's a monkey paw, but a lot of people think they are cleverer than they are and still make those deals. Some mortals are more clever, and get the better end of the stick.

He also views mortals as resources. And you don't kill all your cattle at once or you starve...something demons did not do. They also have a more monstrous side. While some look mostly human with difformities, others are behemoths of incredible strength.

As for demons power and limitations, the MC and most of the people in the story are not aware of them yet, so I will not expand on that.

-Wood elves and high-elves are related, but different races. They consider themselves as such, it's just that humans see pointy ears, elves. Wood elves have powerful magic, but the druidic type. Not as useful in combat, but you do not enter their forest uninvited and leave unscathed.
Aetas rule the open field, where their battlemages and heavy cavalry cause terrible losses to massed troops."
Wood elves rule the forest, where their druids can manipulate nature to transform it into a deadly trap and their skirmishers can vanish like by magic.

-Naesala was salvage because the merchant did not have an heir. If she had, she would have to be returned to them. Not for the goods in the cart, something found in the wilderness unattended, undefended, is free game. The brand, when the Master die, do not disappear, but is inactive. The family, if they do not have a mage, would have to hire one to make the transfer. Some mages are specialized in that sort of magic, there is a position at the court that is called the Master of the Brands, the leader of the condemned. (see below.)

-You are perfectly right about the different ranks of slaves. Personal slaves are the equivalent of a footman, someone who is very close to their Master, and is generally viewed as above the others. Like your example, when a Greek educated slave would often be viewed as part of a Roman family, and freed when the Master died, there is Martha. She enjoys the total confidence of Athagan, and she would just have to ask to be freed. She does not because the brand affords her some advantages, like an improved resistance against mind-corrupting magic, and the ability to be tracked if something happens to her. She is also viewed with much respect around town, because of her skills and because if you fuck with her, well, the big bad battlemage makes you dust.

-in Aetas, collaring someone is reserved for crimes that would warrant the death penalty. They are mostly used in the condemned, shock troops used as "cannon fodder". It does give them a chance to be redeemed. While the normal brand can be erased, the collar cannot, when forgiven it turns white. One character is such an individual. Who? Who knows... ;)
Collaring someone who do not deserves it is punishable by death or...collaring.

-Athagan's slaves are loyal because they cannot lie. It is incredibly easy to root out a spy or a saboteur if they cannot lie.
Regular interrogations are part of the life of the slaves of the most paranoid Masters.

Their resistance against mind-altering magic also helps.

Their loyalty come also from their good treatment. They are well-fed, treated with respect and not forced to have sex with anyone, they are basically servants with a brand. And he is protective of them. In a dangerous world like that, it is an appealing prospect compared to tilling the soil where a monster can come out and eat you alive...or worse.

I love world-building, it's my favorite part of it. I try to create a world that makes sense. That one, excluding the sexual elements, is actually a world that I used a lot in tabletop RPGs. As such, it was well tested by my players, who love to find those cracks, the bastards ;).

Of course, I let a few things pass, and sometimes, something that does not make sense happens. I am just human after all.
But the advantage of a fantasy world is that you can always bullshit with: "it's magic"! :D I try not to though, I found that a world with a lot of verisimilitudes is more engaging.

On that, I am going to work on the update.

mrttao

Forum Fanatic
Jun 11, 2021
Vanderer why is this scene so dark? it is supposed to be in the morning. i can't really see anything
dark.png

also this scene needs to have the grass textures extended. the world suddenly ends and i can see the void
void.png

another void scene
void2.png
===
also, thank you for the update. This game is wonderful.

Last edited:
Reactions: Allan Trumbull

Hordragg

Lesser-Known Mesmer
Donor
Compressor
Apr 2, 2019
The Fiery Scion [Update 2b] [Vander] – COMPRESSED

Win/Linux Update 2b · · · (727.8 MiB :: 2.39 GiB)
Mac Update 2b · · · (712.1 MiB :: 2.38 GiB)
This compression is unofficial, reduces asset quality, and may or may not break your game.

Caveat emptor.

Vanderer

Game Developer
Dec 8, 2017
Needs kinetic novel tag
By the rules, as long as there is even one choice the kinetic tag does not apply.
Of course, I understand that there are not a lot of them now, but there will be more in the future.

I do not control the tags anyways, the uploaders/mods do.

For a more thorough explanation on that subject, I made a post some time ago, here.

Reactions: dussalant

Ghost''

Mar 17, 2021
The Fiery Scion [Update 2b] Unofficial Android Port

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

- 732mb

My Android Ports have a 2nd Persistent save location. So, even if you uninstall the game, the saves will remain Intact.

Saves location: Storage/0011/Game-name

You can also join my discord server for more and support me.

You can also join 0011 discord server

If you like my works please support me.

Android port updated..

Vanderer

Game Developer
Dec 8, 2017
Vanderer why is this scene so dark? it is supposed to be in the morning. i can't really see anything
View attachment 2203897

also this scene needs to have the grass textures extended. the world suddenly ends and i can see the void
View attachment 2203904

another void scene
View attachment 2203906
===
also, thank you for the update. This game is wonderful.
Sorry, I missed your post.

First one is because the sun is not fully raised yet. I could have done better, I agree. I intend the dark scene to actually be dark, I don't like the "hollywood nights", you know, the full lighting with a blue filter over it.
Lightning is difficult, I try to improve but... It should get better as I got along.

Second, the blue thing is the sea. I agree, it doesn't look that good, I will remake it in the future. Probably use a different setting for the water.

The third one is actually not a void, but the grey sky...who look like a void I agree. The map I used for that scene is not the best and the angles of the ground incline are quite jagged, which combined with the rather monotone sky give that impression. It's difficult to find good outside terrain for HS, and I reserve the best ones for the more important scene, or the terrain around Wildale which will come back often.

I intend to remake some scenes in the future, but very slowly, the priority for me is to get content out for those who are already fans. But I will keep it mind your remarks.

Anyways, I actually appreciate your constructive criticism, and your praise, thank you.

4.30 star(s) 47 Votes