Ravenger6660

Sep 14, 2017
Breast sizes and skin [color] though I have no idea how to add in a lore friendly non Institute way.
1. Easy way is to have minor 'character selection' at the start of the game. Players can pick one of five 'starter girls' each with a different skin color & breast size.

2. Women get beast implants or reduction surgery in the real world for what ever reason; health, confidence, looks, etc... { }

Sam_Tail

Game Developer
Aug 31, 2020
Thank you Sam_Tail for that little synopsis of future world building!

The events, activities and locations that you described will take an already very fun game and make it even better.

I also appreciate that unlike a great many game developers, you actually listen to input from your fans and think about what they have to say. Many developers misconstrue constructive criticism as personal attacks, then dig in their heels and double down on whatever aspect of the game someone didn't like. It's pretty clear from your responses here to people who have been critical of aspects of your game along with some of the changes that you've made and are planning to make, that you consider what your fans/critics have to say, but still decide for yourself the direction in which your world is going to progress.

I've said it before, and I'm sure I'll say it again; I think "The Fixer" is one of the best games on this site. Keep up the good work!
Thank you for your kind words :)

How many weeks in does the character realize she is pregnant? I fast forwarded and it seems like at some point her belly suddenly gets bigger and she goes from not knowing about her pregnancy at all to knowing who the father is, does that happen in natural progression?
Currently her second belly growth. The next update will have it shortly after her missed period. The knowing who the father is is more for the player to know and doesn't effect Sammy outside of some conversations. In reality most Sammy's probably wouldn't know, but I put it there because players enjoy knowing who it was.

1. Easy way is to have minor 'character selection' at the start of the game. Players can pick one of five 'starter girls' each with a different skin color & breast size.

2. Women get beast implants or reduction surgery in the real world for what ever reason; health, confidence, looks, etc... { }
Kind of wanted to avoid some kind of character selection at the start. Played quite a few games that overwhelm me with stat menus/customisation and the like right at the start of the game when I don't even have a clue what purpose they serve. So wanted players to get into the game a bit before giving these option.

Giving at the start still wouldn't allow a player to change mid game though. My current not very good idea is some kind of pills that work over time to change your colour.

Breast implants is a possibility. I can probably just hand wave the medical risks that would be associated with it like I have a lot of things.

rb813

Aug 28, 2018
Breast implants is a possibility. I can probably just hand wave the medical risks that would be associated with it like I have a lot of things.
You can always just say they have some kind of scientific/medical/technological advancements that we don't have. There are already plenty of other changes from our world.

ChesseKun

Nov 1, 2019
Thank you for your kind words :)

Currently her second belly growth. The next update will have it shortly after her missed period. The knowing who the father is is more for the player to know and doesn't effect Sammy outside of some conversations. In reality most Sammy's probably wouldn't know, but I put it there because players enjoy knowing who it was.

Kind of wanted to avoid some kind of character selection at the start. Played quite a few games that overwhelm me with stat menus/customisation and the like right at the start of the game when I don't even have a clue what purpose they serve. So wanted players to get into the game a bit before giving these option.

Giving at the start still wouldn't allow a player to change mid game though. My current not very good idea is some kind of pills that work over time to change your colour.

honestly, I think it would make sense to keep some of the options like skin colour institute exclusive.
even if you don't join them to become the fixer they are still there. and they are charging you for it anyway.

Reactions: ForGotMyName

Sam_Tail

Game Developer
Aug 31, 2020
You can always just say they have some kind of scientific/medical/technological advancements that we don't have. There are already plenty of other changes from our world.
Yeah just a simple explanation then never bring it up again.

honestly, I think it would make sense to keep some of the options like skin colour institute exclusive.
even if you don't join them to become the fixer they are still there. and they are charging you for it anyway.
Was something I thought about as well. If you are going to ignore the Institute side of things, it makes sense that you don't get to access all the nice things. Again like in Skyrim it would be silly to refuse to be dragonborn but still expect shouts.

Ravenger6660

Sep 14, 2017

Tanning salon! People go to tanning salons to tan there skin either real/fake. Some people even bleach their skin.

When I suggested a character selection it would be for pure looks not stats.

ChesseKun

Nov 1, 2019
Yeah just a simple explanation then never bring it up again.

Was something I thought about as well. If you are going to ignore the Institute side of things, it makes sense that you don't get to access all the nice things. Again like in Skyrim it would be silly to refuse to be dragonborn but still expect shouts.
That makes no sense.
You can never 'not be' the Dragonborn.
You can deny it, repress it, not fulfil it, ignore it, whatever, but you are Dovahkiin each and every time you fire up Skyrim.
It's actually more silly to think that the institute which is almost like the shadow government of that town would just let you be on your merry way.
I can understand that you want to give players freedom but the game is also called "The Fixer" not Sammy the highway whore. I find it kinda strange to let players just ignore that part.
Hm maybe there could be something where you can tell them that you have no interest in working with them and in return they are are like "fine have it your way here is your bill for the new body and the hospital stay"

Gibberish666

Mar 17, 2019
I think it all boils down to what Sam_Tail is trying to accomplish. Are they going for a Game, or a Simulation?
Either way, there are certain truths to game design: balancing features and workload. What is in the realm of plausibility? Whether a developer is going for more game or sim, the "what is" must be considered as well, and know the "what is" will set the line of consistency. It's good we're poking at these things now, else it would be a lot harder to fix them later.

Sammy is inhabiting a new female body regardless of how he/she got there, and that female body was given to them to save their life. Beggars don't get to be choosers; it's going to look like however it grew in the vat (workload reduction). As Sam_Tail has said, gaining access to being able to customize the body is an incentive to continue the Institution story. What other goodies and perks will they later reveal?
On that note, being able to change your appearance is going to have to be a money dump to 1) offset the deliberate lack of realistic complications 2) a lot of players are going to be happy with the appearance they choose first.
Perhaps the cost of changing your appearance should grow exponentially more expensive with each use?

I strongly agree with ChesseKun on this point: What is the Institutions agenda? How ethically dubious is the Institution willing go? Will the Institution's and Sammy's agenda conflict? And if they do, what will they do about it, and what will be the consequences? This is a line of questioning that should be applied to every character in the game. I'm sure Sam_Tail is already on it, and we just don't know yet.
I like the idea of the Institution forwarding Sammy the bill if she chooses not to work for them. It's both a simple and effective solution.

Last edited:
Reactions: rb813

Sam_Tail

Game Developer
Aug 31, 2020
It mostly boils down to letting players play the game as they want. My point about Skyrim was if you don't progress through the story, you never learn how to spend dragon souls for shouts. Sure players are missing out on large parts of content and arguably having a worse experience. But if that's what they want, so be it.

Some people genuinely do want to play "Sammy the highway whore" and ignore the fixer. Well ok then, you are missing out on huge parts of content but you do you.

I'm not planning a story or lore friendly way for players to quit the institute since the game revolves around Sammy being the fixer, but if players want to leave it all on the back burner I shouldn't punish them for it.

This is a subject I have been thinking about recently since I have added birth control, MAP's and abortions to Dr Nikolas. But it just doesn't make lore sense for the institute to provide these services so I want to add a shady back alley clinic that does. There are a few other bits I also want to shift away from the institute but just don't have the shops/areas on yet.

So I have been thinking about what should be fixer exclusive stuff and what should be available elsewhere?

Gibberish666

Mar 17, 2019
Dunno if you were responding to my comment. I'm going to assume so because of "boils down."

As you said, you want to let the players play the game as they want, well, here are some players suggesting, "hey, here is a route idea for your game we think is really neat." All we're asking is for you think about it, maybe experiment with it, just don't shut it down out of the gate. This way when your final answer is, "no," well then that's that with good reasons attached. Else you might find yourself pleasantly surprised.
The way I see it, you wouldn't actually need to force a player's Sammy into debt, you can make it a choice. A player could be:
1) Working for the Institution and doing Institution quests.
2) Working for the Institution and sidelining Institution quests (the Institution is a patient entity).
3) Not working for the Institution and in debt (to whom and what the consequences for failing to pay it off might be, idk yet. Brainstorming. If no one can think of a good reason, then that's good enough reason to say "no," to the whole idea).

You say you don't want to punish the players for their decisions, but the game is already full of "punishments" for certain choices. A specific series of choices leads to the "Broken" state. Having vaginal sex can lead to Sammy getting pregnant, which suspends her from the dance club route. Any one of those consequences could be seen as "punishments."
Not going through the first Institution quests prevents you from changing Sammy's appearance (without a cheat). And apparently you have plans for more Institution-exclusive features. Withholding game features could also be easily considered to be a punishment and forces your players to play a certain way to get what they want.
So I guess I'm left wondering, with what means are you using to measure the difference between a punishment and a feature? At present, I think I'm looking at a double standard against a lore-friendly outcome of quitting the Institution. I'm not criticizing, only looking for some clarification and consistency.

Why wouldn't the Institution not provide access to birth control and stuff to Sammy? They're the all-powerful, "dubious" Institute. They're operating far enough outside the boundaries of laws and ethics they can grow humans in a vat and ask them to be spies in the harshest of possible conditions. They would totally get away with legal oversight regarding illegal resources.
But I like the idea of shady clinic too. This is probably how Sammy would have to get birth control and those sorts things if she chooses to not work for the Institution.

ChesseKun

Nov 1, 2019
It mostly boils down to letting players play the game as they want. My point about Skyrim was if you don't progress through the story, you never learn how to spend dragon souls for shouts. Sure players are missing out on large parts of content and arguably having a worse experience. But if that's what they want, so be it.

Some people genuinely do want to play "Sammy the highway whore" and ignore the fixer. Well ok then, you are missing out on huge parts of content but you do you.

I'm not planning a story or lore friendly way for players to quit the institute since the game revolves around Sammy being the fixer, but if players want to leave it all on the back burner I shouldn't punish them for it.

This is a subject I have been thinking about recently since I have added birth control, MAP's and abortions to Dr Nikolas. But it just doesn't make lore sense for the institute to provide these services so I want to add a shady back alley clinic that does. There are a few other bits I also want to shift away from the institute but just don't have the shops/areas on yet.

So I have been thinking about what should be fixer exclusive stuff and what should be available elsewhere?
I actually could see the institute offer those services to Sammy. Gotta make sure your fixer is ready for missions and not waddling around with a baby in her. but then I could also see the institute being interested in Sammy's children. like are there any differences in a child from an artificial body?
And I think that it would make sense to keep the artificial body-specific stuff institute exclusive. Like the skin colour, areolas and maybe freckles but those could maybe be painted on everything else could be changed thru other means. The main difference is that the institute is more like a one-stop-shop. Hair colour is easy just dye it for length cuts/extension maybe wigs?. For eye colour there are contacts. for breast size implants.
Also if there is no way to cut ties with the institute I don't see a reason why they wouldn't offer those services to you. Maybe they just make you pay more till you reach actual Fixer status. That could also be when you could get access to abortions and such. going thru the institute could be safer or cheaper maybe both compared to going to some back ally crook with a coat hanger. That might cause complications.

Reactions: SBT01

SBT01

Jan 25, 2020
Dunno if you were responding to my comment. I'm going to assume so because of "boils down."

As you said, you want to let the players play the game as they want, well, here are some players suggesting, "hey, here is a route idea for your game we think is really neat." All we're asking is for you think about it, maybe experiment with it, just don't shut it down out of the gate. This way when your final answer is, "no," well then that's that with good reasons attached. Else you might find yourself pleasantly surprised.
The way I see it, you wouldn't actually need to force a player's Sammy into debt, you can make it a choice. A player could be:
1) Working for the Institution and doing Institution quests.
2) Working for the Institution and sidelining Institution quests (the Institution is a patient entity).
3) Not working for the Institution and in debt (to whom and what the consequences for failing to pay it off might be, idk yet. Brainstorming. If no one can think of a good reason, then that's good enough reason to say "no," to the whole idea).

You say you don't want to punish the players for their decisions, but the game is already full of "punishments" for certain choices. A specific series of choices leads to the "Broken" state. Having vaginal sex can lead to Sammy getting pregnant, which suspends her from the dance club route. Any one of those consequences could be seen as "punishments."
Not going through the first Institution quests prevents you from changing Sammy's appearance (without a cheat). And apparently you have plans for more Institution-exclusive features. Withholding game features could also be easily considered to be a punishment and forces your players to play a certain way to get what they want.
So I guess I'm left wondering, with what means are you using to measure the difference between a punishment and a feature? At present, I think I'm looking at a double standard against a lore-friendly outcome of quitting the Institution. I'm not criticizing, only looking for some clarification and consistency.

Why wouldn't the Institution not provide access to birth control and stuff to Sammy? They're the all-powerful, "dubious" Institute. They're operating far enough outside the boundaries of laws and ethics they can grow humans in a vat and ask them to be spies in the harshest of possible conditions. They would totally get away with legal oversight regarding illegal resources.
But I like the idea of shady clinic too. This is probably how Sammy would have to get birth control and those sorts things if she chooses to not work for the Institution.

When an institute starts working with a player, it's a risk. The Institute does not know how the player will behave. Perhaps the institute needs information about children born of such a body as an attempt to minimize costs. The player, not being able to receive such services in the early stages at the institute, is looking for alternatives. The developer can add a function to block the possibility of getting pregnant during the mission (if not necessary for the mission) and a period of time after the mission during which the player will not be able to get pregnant. If the player completes the mission, the player does not get pregnant. If the player does not complete the mission, the institute receives data on the children from the body. Institute is positive. Why does the institute sell contraceptives? The Institute is not profitable.

Sam_Tail

Game Developer
Aug 31, 2020
The Institute has multiple goals/agendas. The guys on the body development team want to investigate the body and see how it stands up in day to day life. Something like getting pregnant would be a massive point of research for them since you are basically in a lab grown body brining a real child to term. They are all for the science and nothing else. These part of things are not fun to represent in a game like this so it kind of gets ignored for the story. But lore wise this is of huge interest to them

Tucker on the other hand is much more political. He wants an agent who will do his bidding. He is less concerned about the science and more about having an underling he can fully trust.

The morality of the Institute is a bit dubious. On one of the routes in Haven, Sammy might have caused the death of hundreds of people and it is mostly brushed aside to the point where Sammy doesn't even realise what she has done. Their end goal might be noble, but any means to reach that goal is acceptable. As mentioned before, they are a benevolent authoritarian government.

You could probably make a strong argument that the Institute would be happy to provide such services, but also a fairly strong argument that they wouldn't. A backalley clinic though would have zero qualms about it so better to shift some of the questionable services to them.

With a lore friendly way to cut ties and the like. I mostly don't see the point in it. Players who like the Fixer stuff will never trigger it and players who want to ignore fixer stuff won't appreciate being badgered by the game to do it. Since it is extra work to do it on my end, time is better spent elsewhere. The story can easily just be left on the back burner or progressed at the players own pace.

As to which criteria I use to determine a punishment or feature? No criteria and just how I feel about things. Pregnancy stuff rewards those who like pregnancy stuff, those who don't can turn it off. And the broken perk was actually added per request a long time ago. Maybe not quite what the requester was aiming for, but someone wanted to play a meek Sammy but not be locked out of sex scenes and still able to be a slut.

Also, I am responding to the individual points but I am a little lost on the overall topic. Care to clarify for me what it is you are in favour of/against please. :)

SBT01

Jan 25, 2020
The Institute has multiple goals/agendas. The guys on the body development team want to investigate the body and see how it stands up in day to day life. Something like getting pregnant would be a massive point of research for them since you are basically in a lab grown body brining a real child to term. They are all for the science and nothing else. These part of things are not fun to represent in a game like this so it kind of gets ignored for the story. But lore wise this is of huge interest to them

Tucker on the other hand is much more political. He wants an agent who will do his bidding. He is less concerned about the science and more about having an underling he can fully trust.

The morality of the Institute is a bit dubious. On one of the routes in Haven, Sammy might have caused the death of hundreds of people and it is mostly brushed aside to the point where Sammy doesn't even realise what she has done. Their end goal might be noble, but any means to reach that goal is acceptable. As mentioned before, they are a benevolent authoritarian government.

You could probably make a strong argument that the Institute would be happy to provide such services, but also a fairly strong argument that they wouldn't. A backalley clinic though would have zero qualms about it so better to shift some of the questionable services to them.

With a lore friendly way to cut ties and the like. I mostly don't see the point in it. Players who like the Fixer stuff will never trigger it and players who want to ignore fixer stuff won't appreciate being badgered by the game to do it. Since it is extra work to do it on my end, time is better spent elsewhere. The story can easily just be left on the back burner or progressed at the players own pace.

As to which criteria I use to determine a punishment or feature? No criteria and just how I feel about things. Pregnancy stuff rewards those who like pregnancy stuff, those who don't can turn it off. And the broken perk was actually added per request a long time ago. Maybe not quite what the requester was aiming for, but someone wanted to play a meek Sammy but not be locked out of sex scenes and still able to be a slut.

Also, I am responding to the individual points but I am a little lost on the overall topic. Care to clarify for me what it is you are in favour of/against please. :)
I'm more interested in how certain things are explained by lore.
If possible, you can add explanations about "broken perk", etc. in a separate post or file (If this already exists, I apologize for not finding it). I play with cheats and don't always understand - this is how it should be or I broke something with cheats

Gibberish666

Mar 17, 2019

I feel I must point out any organization that considers the ends always justifies the means is never benevolent. They might see themselves as benevolent, but they're really anything but that. It's the epitome of arrogance.
It seems like the Institute is an organization with multiple cells that work independently with their own agendas, but each agenda operates in favor towards a grand scheme, whatever that may be.
If cells are operating independently with different agendas, then it would be in Tucker's best interest to provide contraception even if it means going behind the Body Mod team's back, for two reasons. 1) Tucker wants an obedient underling, and so maintaining the well-being of his underling is a part of his primary objectives. Sammy will trust Tucker if he provides her with things she wants/needs. 2) To Tucker, a pregnant underling is a liability, not an asset capable of assisting him with his agenda.

The purpose of lore-friendly consequences is plausibility and logic. Since the standing example is Skyrim, I'll stick with that.
In Skyrim, as has been discussed, you can choose to not follow the main story. Cool! This also means it's in the player's power to delay Armageddon indefinitely by simply not participating. And what is Alduin doing this whole time while the Dragonborn is putting arrows into knees? Is he rubbing himself out to The Lusty Argonian Maid while he waits? He's going to rub his own scales off cuz the Dragonborn ain't playing. The end of the world is stuck in a metaphorical loading screen.
It's very silly.
So with that same logic, how does it make sense for the Institute to allow Sammy run off with a valuable asset, probably worth millions of dollars, and suffer no consequences of any kind? And the Body Dev team and Tucker who are both so very invested in this asset, will never get to achieve their goals, and they're going to sit on their hands and do nothing about it?
It's still quite silly.
We can choose wave this absurdity because The Fixer is an adult game, not a life simulator. It doesn't always need to be logical or sensible. It's normal for certain kinds standards of common sense to be absent in games. This doesn't mean the alternative is less valid, is all some of us are saying. Just entertain it? Maybe experiment with it? You may see it as a punishment, but it could instead become a feature, a happy accident, you can take advantage of if you tried. Being in extreme debt would be a very good incentive for Sammy to try more and more lewder things. And because the player is choosing to play Sammy the Whore instead of Sammy the Fixer, their actions operate in conjunction with gaining money through lewd acts anyways. Nothing is lost, and a new opportunity is present.
The worst thing that could happen is someone gives you a bad rating for either including or excluding it. But as you seem absolutely certain the idea won't add anything to your game, then that's that, and I'll say nothing further on the matter after this post.

- Edit: I just got an idea: You don't have to write any script where the Institution chases after Sammy to do a job. All that you'd need is an choice whenever Sammy meet's with Tucker, "I can't do this anymore, I quit!" Choosing this triggers the debt. Lets go with $1,000,000 for now. Sammy must then make regular payments (she can pay however much she wants as long as it meets a $1,000 minimum) but otherwise lives her normal life. If Sammy fails to make her regular payments 3 times, the Institution takes her and "breaks" her. The Institution gets what they're owed, and the Body Mod team gets their lab babies. They let Sammy go when they're done with her. You could probably reuse those bad Haven ending assets and create an alternative means to achieve the same status outside of the Institution quest line.

Honestly, I'm not entirely sure what the topic is either. I was just dropping by and saw something I thought was interesting. As far as I'm aware, we're just mulling over ideas and proposals for you game. (y)I'm not so much in favor or against anything in particular. I simply like to entertain ideas, and I'm okay with tossing bad ideas after being able to objectively conclude they're too complex, unnecessary, don't fit the game, or w/e else.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2019
Read some of the discussion on the possibility of customisation while avoiding the Fixer work, has anyone brought up using the rogue scientist guy (that I forgot the name of)? If the player doesn't choose to participate in the Fixer missions he could well never get caught and run an underground clinic that does the same stuff as Dr Nikolas at a higher cost or higher risk..

Celebrius

Mar 7, 2019
Ohh I see now, so you can start them whenever, but you won't be able to do them until a certain number of days pass. Probably for the best otherwise would leave a soft-lock.

drenai1

Feb 22, 2021
There's a lot in the above posts, but I really don't feel like going back through it all and quoting. That having been said, there are a few points on which I'd like to put my two cents in.

On the subject of changes to Sammy's body being specific to "The Institute", it seems to me, that the ability to adapt and change Sammy's appearance is less an application of specific "Institute" technology than it is a genetic quirk of her new body. "The Institute" just happens to be the only known organization that is familiar enough with Sammy's genetically engineered body to enable the ability to make changes at this time. It's entirely possible though, that down the road a ways, some other organization could gain the ability to make alterations. Some other organization becoming aware of Sammy's unique nature could be a good thing or a very bad thing.

The unique nature of Sammy's new body opens the door to a great many possibilities. One that's already in the game is her ability to alter her appearance. Right now that requires either "The Institute" or the cheat menu. Use of the cheat menu to alter Sammy's appearance could be given an in-game explanation that she has developed an instinctive ability to alter her appearance. The alteration of her appearance could even open up some potential storylines. What if Sammy's school friends didn't recognize her after her looks shift? Does Felix ask her to take on a specific appearance for a photo shoot? Do the school bullies decide make use of this ability for some extracurricular criminal activity? Does this bring Sammy to the attention of the local criminal underworld?

A cheat menu option that could be explained away in-game as a quirk of the new body would be the ability to advance a pregnancy so that Sammy gives birth much sooner than she otherwise would. This cheat brings some interesting possibilities for future interactions. I'm not sure if it's even possible, but what would happen if when a player uses this cheat, other people that Sammy interacts with in Blaston were to notice that her pregnancies are of a much shorter duration than normal? Even the "Impregnate" cheat could lead to a future storyline with either "The Institute" or the back alley clinic when a celibate Sammy spontaneously becomes pregnant and goes in for treatment.

A back alley clinic that could, at least in part, cover some of what the institute does for Sammy and a few things that the institute doesn't do would help flesh out the game a little more and quite possibly provide another avenue into the underbelly of Blaston City. Once again going back to the unique nature of Sammy's body, what happens if the people who run the clinic become aware of just how unique she is? She could find herself in a lot of hot water even though she was just looking for some birth control.

On a separate subject, one which I brought up in a previous post, I have some thoughts on the Bullies and Soccer boys...

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

3.90 star(s) 55 Votes