Mod Ren'Py The Grey Dream [Ep 4 v4.3 Steam/Non-Steam] Multi-Mod [Sancho1969]

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes

Hawka1O7

Dec 25, 2018
Saw all the recent activity on the thread but gonna assume based on the title the update for episode 4 isn't quite ready yet? :LOL:

RNasc4444

Aug 16, 2022
Saw all the recent activity on the thread but gonna assume based on the title the update for episode 4 isn't quite ready yet? :LOL:
I gave it a quick look and the episode seems to be working just fine. The problem seems to be the saves. Some changes done by the dev messed up my current ones. But older saves still work.

Try loading up yours and see if they work. If they don't we gotta wait for a fix or start over.

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
unzip need password :lepew:
Did you not look at the attachment in their reply? It looks something like this:

View attachment 3184952

If you click that spoiler in the OP, you will have the key to all your heart desires.
Oh... he was looking for that. Well, that's kinda silly now since if you install the OP's current mod version inside Ep4 of the VN (the new update) it'll bring the VN back down to v3.5 at best and completely fail at some point at worst. I have a feeling that dude is fixing to become very confused with his new "mixture".

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
This is a bit technical so I'll try to keep it down to Earth:

Okay folks, I'm at a bit of a crossroads here. I've reached out to unmodded folks while I'm communicating directly with the dev to isolate a true fix... but this version of RenPy is being a little bitch at the moment. I can resolve it 100% for the modded version but that leaves the unmodded folks out in the cold with ~50% or so of their saves still likely unloadable. Here's the real problem with that though: this type of fix is to use different RPYC files to base the build off of that would be completely different than the dev can use... which basically means there'd be two versions of the VN as RenPy sees it. This is not how I work as I need to stay 1:1 with the dev's files at all times (to insure compatibility and stability across the board).

So, that would make the mod physically split off on a different base code branch than the original VN... something I've never done publicly by design (I don't want to do that). You folks that know github project branches know where I'm coming from... once you branch off you can never come back without deserting the project entirely.

If I can't find a resolution that solves both unmodded and modded then the last resort is to leave it be and some folks in both camps will simply have to replay the VN. This is the worst case scenario though, I'm still working on a solution.

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
You folks who can't wait for me to finish the mod update (obviously there was a serious snag that has eaten hours of time) and attempted to use the mod's SaveFixer, see a post I made in the VN's thread here and add that to your unmodded installation and help me test. I made it for unmodded folks first and foremost but if that works for them then it will obviously work for your modded saves as well (inside an unmodded VN).

Important! : Read that thread before you proceed with DL & installation, this is just a test.

Joratox

Sep 1, 2018
You folks who can't wait for me to finish the mod update (obviously there was a serious snag that has eaten hours of time) and attempted to use the mod's SaveFixer, see a post I made in the VN's thread here and add that to your unmodded installation and help me test. I made it for unmodded folks first and foremost but if that works for them then it will obviously work for your modded saves as well (inside an unmodded VN).

Important! : Read that thread before you proceed with DL & installation, this is just a test.
Ok, testing done. I've used the mod fixer (I had modded saves) + the test file. I was able to load all ep 1/2 correctly, most Ep 3.5 saves( these had extensive rollbacks, weirdly enough they loaded during sex scenes, even though there were made way after). I only had issues with the last save from 3.5 (posting the error trace in spoiler below). Thanks for all your efforts!
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Will wait for the mod update though :) Way better experience that way!

Last edited:
Reactions: RNasc4444

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Ok, testing done. I've used the mod fixer (I had modded saves) + the test file. I was able to load all ep 1/2 correctly, most Ep 3.5 saves( these had extensive rollbacks, weirdly enough they loaded during sex scenes, even though there were made way after). I only had issues with the last save from 3.5 (posting the error trace in spoiler below). Thanks for all your efforts!
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
I had basically the same results. Oddly enough it's the Ep3.5 pointers I used to make the fix... in theory those episode saves should have loaded the best out of all the episodes. There were a lot of grammatical fixes in the scripts though, so there's going to be a minor amount of failure that just simply can't be sorted.

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Does that work as an ep 4 walkthrough mod, or is it something else?
Something else. (has nothing to do with the mod update that I'm working on)
It has to do with loading old saves as described in it's post.
That's all it is, but it's a big deal for those wanting to attempt to load previous saves.

If it was the mod then I'd have posted it here bud.
I'm still working on it (after hopefully resolving the non-modded VN issue).
"The brisket is still smokin'"

Reactions: xsikal

preskerd

Sep 27, 2017
I had basically the same results. Oddly enough it's the Ep3.5 pointers I used to make the fix... in theory those episode saves should have loaded the best out of all the episodes. There were a lot of grammatical fixes in the scripts though, so there's going to be a minor amount of failure that just simply can't be sorted.
So I can use this too get walkthrough mod for episode 4? I don't get it. Which one I should download? This will be the first time I will try this game

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
So I can use this too get walkthrough mod for episode 4? I don't get it. Which one I should download? This will be the first time I will try this game
Stop, don't DL anything yet. The OP clearly states the mod is for Ep3.5, not Ep4. The VN just dropped so I need time to update the mod. Do NOT confuse a "SaveFixer" with a "mod update".

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Okay, it's 0430hrs in the morning, I'm making the first pot of coffee, and firing up the project.

I stopped last night at 2200hrs at the "Sandbox" which is the dev's mini-free roam event. Those take a bit of time to sort but I'm done with that. I should only have a small portion left of Ep4 to go but I'm waiting on the dev's response on an official patch (whether it's the one I created or he builds it himself).

I've fully choreographed the MiniStat, coded the ChoiceGuide (yet there are some choices where I notify you to make a save since the Even variable has unknown consequences to date), and fully reset the mod port. I'll have to add the new scene to the mod's gallery and why I woke up so early... I want to give all the scene's variants and still make it slick in the mod. Other than that there's the usual final polish and code cleanup required before build/test. It'll likely be out today (which it needs to be, we have several other VN updates that are dropping tonight/tomorrow in which I was working directly with the dev teams.)

Bottom line is the mod update is very close, the VN fix is likely sorted minus a handful of folks but requires confirmation, and I need that first cup of coffee... badly.

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes