Ren'Py The Haunting Nightmare [v0.3.1a] [Dofla Studio]

4.00 star(s) 8 Votes

Ursus4321

Aug 2, 2017
This game reminds me a lot of another one that I think was called fallen roads. In that other one the dev also made the mistake of putting the main li in a situation that according to the dev was not ntr but for the rest of the world it was. The criticism was overwhelming and although it released a second update trying to fix the mess, it didn't really change anyone's opinion because all it did was get deeper into the mud. The game was abandoned because there was no solution and he did not want to remake it.

LordCharmz

Jan 2, 2018
If I remember correctly the main arguments for Fallen Roads was that the two prominent LI were shit characters not the ntr aspect or at least I don't remember that part.

Joshy92

Devoted Member
Mar 25, 2021
I still really like Jessica she is my main LI choice.
I'm looking forward to seeing some romantic scenes with her in the future

Dofla Studio

Game Developer
Oct 18, 2023
Recently, there have been many discussions about Jessica's story in the comments section, and most of them are negative ones. I have carefully read each of your comments, and many of them are constructive feedback. I do realize that I have exaggerated the dramatic effect in Jessica's storyline.

My intention in shaping the character of Jessica was to create a LI with some flaws, which is why MC and she broke up, and then based on the plot development, give the character the freedom to choose whether to continue their relationship with her or tell her to fuck off and walk away, as she is just one of many choices. However, I made her too bitchy now, which is not what I intended, This completely destroys the charm of this character.

In version 0.2.0a, I will try to modify her portrayal and whole storyline to make her a person still with flaws but not so bitchy. I am making this change not to please anyone (because some people here will just keep disliking this game no matter what I do and facepalming everywhere so fuck it), but because I do realize that there are inconsistencies in the character portrayal and I’m trying to make my game better and provide a better gaming experience for those who already like my game and those who may give it another try and like it in the future.

Thank you once again for your suggestions! Cheers.

Last edited:

Joshy92

Devoted Member
Mar 25, 2021
I dunno, I mean I am all down for all this "I can fix/save her".. But not with Jessica, just too much shit happened and still happens because of her stupidity/arrogance.
But it's a matter of perspective of course.
Yeah, I know I'm probably in the minority
But I really like her
And I want to help her as much as possible

Reactions: AlexMpog

holaje12

Dec 17, 2018
Recently, there have been many discussions about Jessica's story in the comments section, and most of them are negative ones. I have carefully read each of your comments, and many of them are constructive feedback. I do realize that I have exaggerated the dramatic effect in Jessica's storyline.

My intention in shaping the character of Jessica was to create a LI with some flaws, which is why MC and she broke up, and then based on the plot development, give the character the freedom to choose whether to continue their relationship with her or tell her to fuck off and walk away, as she is just one of many choices. However, I made her too bitchy now, which is not what I intended, This completely destroys the charm of this character.

In version 0.2.0a, I will try to modify her portrayal to make her a person still with flaws but not so bitchy. I am making this change not to please anyone (because some people here will just keep disliking this game no matter what I do and facepalming everywhere so fuck it), but because I do realize that there are inconsistencies in the character portrayal and I’m trying to make my game better and provide a better gaming experience for those who already like my game and those who may give it another try and like it in the future.

It is less about her being bitchy and more about her getting fucked behind MC's back and continuing to do so till now and until whiteknight simp MC somehow stops it. No matter how nice you make her, if she still cheated on MC and keeps fucking the same man till now then nothing will change as actions are what matter. Tbh, I dont think you should change it at this point, just keep going as it is, you just need to add more into the ntr aspect of your game, that way you can attract more suitable followers for your game. Because it is not only jessica, but also the other girl that loves BBC and the other one that is into orgies, it seems like you could easily make this a ntr/sharing/swinging game since you already have the perfect characters for it, even having the dude fucking MC's gf, you already have that, now you would only need to show it. Your only problem is that you are trying to sell this as a kind of romance story which is clearly not the case. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Last edited:

Look-see

Engaged Member
Aug 19, 2018

In version 0.2.0a, I will try to modify her portrayal to make her a person still with flaws but not so bitchy. I am making this change not to please anyone (because some people here will just keep disliking this game no matter what I do and facepalming everywhere so fuck it), but because I do realize that there are inconsistencies in the character portrayal and I’m trying to make my game better and provide a better gaming experience for those who already like my game and those who may give it another try and like it in the future.

having a horrible laugh is a flaw. Your GF being a rape/blackmail victim and being forced into a relationship with her rapist is a tragedy.

Ursus4321

Aug 2, 2017
If I remember correctly the main arguments for Fallen Roads was that the two prominent LI were shit characters not the ntr aspect or at least I don't remember that part.
The MC's girlfriend goes to a party organized by her ex, the person responsible for her being into drugs and alcohol. The mc doesn't like that she to go and said her to be careful. She goes, drinks, smokes and dances rubbing herself with her ex and goes up to the room with him. The next day someone calls the mc to go get his girlfriend and when he arrives he opens the door to the room and the ex of the li comes out to answer it and the mc sees her naked in bed. The dev tried to sell the idea that that was not ntr using the idea that she says that it is not what it seems even though the ex makes fun of the mc with that topic. All this and the attempt to fix it and forcing me to take the trip with a friend and this li is what filled the thread with shit until it was abandoned. By simply leaving the option of telling her to fuck off and acknowledging the fact that she had fucked that guy I could have let the game continue without so much drama. But the dev insisted that it was a love story until he couldn't take it anymore and abandoned him.

risky0

Oct 7, 2022
So you think the main problem here is Jesica's personality?:KEK:

Is cheating all it takes for someone to break up badly with someone? you have just chosen the simplest one.
So out of a thousand reasons to make her a flawed character, you chose only cheating.
If you're not going to change the fact that she's a cheating whore, I don't think it's worth the effort, you already tried once and it didn't work.
This is not going to change anyone's mind.

If I want to be a good man, my only option is to forgive that whore.:FacePalm:
And more importantly, if I want revenge, why do I have to be the bad guy?
Why do I have to be a spineless helpless wretch to be a good man?

3 out of 6 LIs are already whores.
Milf is a cheating whore and his daughter is another whore who goes to orgies.
Your ex-girlfriend is another whore.

Two of the other three LIs are not interesting at all, neither in terms of the female model used nor in terms of personality.
All we have is the hot Doctor and nothing else good.

These three whores you created don't fit the story you're trying to sell.
How can we ignore all this and not criticize?

Yeah, so fuck it.:sneaky:

Dofla Studio

Game Developer
Oct 18, 2023

Is cheating all it takes for someone to break up badly with someone? you have just chosen the simplest one.
So out of a thousand reasons to make her a flawed character, you chose only cheating.
If you're not going to change the fact that she's a cheating whore, I don't think it's worth the effort, you already tried once and it didn't work.

Two of the other three LIs are not interesting at all, neither in terms of the female model used nor in terms of personality.

Some friendly people have chat with me recently so yeah I will do that to make things better. Oh, By modifing her portrayal I mean change her setting from the first place and not whore anymore. And I also plan to remake the MILF line.

Last edited:

AlexMpog

Oct 17, 2022
The MC's girlfriend goes to a party organized by her ex, the person responsible for her being into drugs and alcohol. The mc doesn't like that she to go and said her to be careful. She goes, drinks, smokes and dances rubbing herself with her ex and goes up to the room with him. The next day someone calls the mc to go get his girlfriend and when he arrives he opens the door to the room and the ex of the li comes out to answer it and the mc sees her naked in bed. The dev tried to sell the idea that that was not ntr using the idea that she says that it is not what it seems even though the ex makes fun of the mc with that topic. All this and the attempt to fix it and forcing me to take the trip with a friend and this li is what filled the thread with shit until it was abandoned. By simply leaving the option of telling her to fuck off and acknowledging the fact that she had fucked that guy I could have let the game continue without so much drama. But the dev insisted that it was a love story until he couldn't take it anymore and abandoned him.
Honestly, if I had to choose "Jess or Awa" - I would always go with Jess without any second thought, mostly because how that whole scene during the party was executed and Awa's final phrase "It's not what it seems" just set my ass on fire immediately.

Last edited:

Harem Trooper

Oct 4, 2017
I will agree with risky0 on this issue. Summarized it always will depend on how people will tolerate what it presented to them. Like I mentioned before, this is not a game about Netorare/Netorase or putting MC and therefore the player down, but about MC having his inner conflict with himself but also with the characters around himself, which in the case of MC Ex-GF has their "flaws".

Im pretty sure people will enjoy it, I would thats for sure since I enjoy good drama, but as I mentioned it always will pile down how these things got delivered to the player... and from what I played it shot in its own foot multiple times if it wasnt the goal to hate Jessica (MC Ex-GF), the milf (Laura) or Jane. Mind you if this was just a normal drama series without sex, people wouldnt react so harshly towards them compared to a media where sex is the main reason people play like in a visual novel in this case.

Im perfectly fine with flawed characters, DropOut Sage shows how these can be done, but that dosent mean it always have to be this way but its kinda getting annoying that when there is betrayal, it always have to do with the Love Interest having sex with other dudes, no mater if they like it (she is slut as for Laura+Jane) or not (blackmail for Jessica). But of course if this was the intended purpose for their characters then it delivered on it, tho its for the player base to accept it or not.

I personally dont like it, but that dosent mean it should been changed. If the story wants, for some reason whats so ever, that she has to fuck other dudes, then so be it but it will always have a bad after taste in the mouth if the intended purpose was to forgive the character or even start to "safe" her. I good middle ground could be done too.

Here is a example:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
But no mater what you do, I think the biggest thorn in the eye of this game is and will be the limited time for activities IN a sandbox game. The only possetive I see here if the purpose to give the player to re-play the game multiple times. But im pretty sure people want to play through everything on their first/main playthrough, which kinda make sense if you have a sandbox game.

As right now, I dont see the conflict why the MC cant pursue other girls if he still wants to safe Jessica, wants to know Jane more, get behind Lauras strange behaviour, wants to pursue Luna romanticly, get to warm up with Lanxin, be open with Helene.
But im bias here since I want my harem :LUL:

Uxeki44

Oct 15, 2023

Girls who are raped I don't consider sluts. Those who are intentionally cheating are bitches but I get your point.

ryansFLYIN

Sep 19, 2022
Honestly, if I had to choose "Jess or Awa" - I would always go with Jess without any second thought, mostly because how that whole scene during the party was executed and Awa's final phrase "It's not what it seems" just set my ass on fire immediately.
Well Jess did what she did out of self-preservation. That is understandable, regardless if you could forgive it or not. Ava, in that chapter 1, we see as having fun and grinding on her old crush and then willingly going upstairs. Only in chapter 2 do we see a total change in how that scene actually happened? A bit of whiplash as I don't think chapter 1 was updated to show this "new" version of events. Ava was 100% not believable in that case. That was just, seemingly, a poor way to try to save her character from the onslaught of people who hated her after chapter 1. Jess moreso just wanted to have her cake and eat it too; she wanted to get away with breaking the law without any lawful punishment. Only way to do that is to agree to her boss' terms. That's all he hung over her head - the threat of prosecution. At least in this one the dev gave you the option to just leave when you see Jess drunk at her home. Not sure why everyone kept harping on the good guy versus bad guy... just be neutral and leave and it seems like it would have ended her content more than she would be needed by the main storyline. In the other game, it just seemed like Ava was going to be forced on you and the dev wanted to force the player to forgive her.

It's all about choices, especially in a non-harem game (which I believe this isn't going to turn into one?). We had the choice to walk away. I took it canonically, but did go back to play her route to find out information. Maybe it'll be different after this new change, but I was cool with just Luna and Lan. Wasn't a huge fan of the doc and definitely not her friend.

AlexMpog

Oct 17, 2022
But no mater what you do, I think the biggest thorn in the eye of this game is and will be the limited time for activities IN a sandbox game. The only possetive I see here if the purpose to give the player to re-play the game multiple times. But im pretty sure people want to play through everything on their first/main playthrough, which kinda make sense if you have a sandbox game.
I disagree. Personally I like the mechanics of the game, this is the reason why I got interested in it in the first place.
Comparing to the majority of the games here which are harems/semi-harems where you just fuck everybody and everything that moves, this game is more like a breath of fresh air. And I think I am not the only one like this here.

Not every game should be a harem, where you just fuck everybody during one playthrough.
I prefer games where you play through different routes and see different content.

Dev really came up with interesting mechanics in his game and that's very cool.

Last edited:
4.00 star(s) 8 Votes