Ren'Py The Haunting Nightmare [v0.3.1a] [Dofla Studio]

4.00 star(s) 8 Votes

Dofla Studio

Game Developer
Oct 18, 2023
Day5 Night, after Luna's wine event:

Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "renpy/common/000statements.rpy", line 453, in execute_pause
    renpy.pause(delay)
  File "game/game_screens/sandbox_screen.rpy", line 62, in execute
  File "game/game_screens/sandbox_screen.rpy", line 66, in execute
  File "game/game_screens/sandbox_screen.rpy", line 69, in execute
  File "game/game_screens/sandbox_screen.rpy", line 69, in <module>
KeyError: 6

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "scenes_scripts/sandbox_home.rpyc", line 92, in script call
  File "scenes_scripts/sandbox_home.rpyc", line 262, in script
  File "E:\Hgames\TheHauntingNightmare-0.3.0e-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 2232, in execute
    self.call("execute")
  File "E:\Hgames\TheHauntingNightmare-0.3.0e-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 2220, in call
    return renpy.statements.call(method, parsed, *args, **kwargs)
  File "E:\Hgames\TheHauntingNightmare-0.3.0e-pc\renpy\statements.py", line 281, in call
    return method(parsed, *args, **kwargs)
  File "renpy/common/000statements.rpy", line 453, in execute_pause
    renpy.pause(delay)
  File "E:\Hgames\TheHauntingNightmare-0.3.0e-pc\renpy\exports.py", line 1537, in pause
    rv = renpy.ui.interact(mouse='pause', type='pause', roll_forward=roll_forward, pause=delay, pause_modal=modal)
  File "E:\Hgames\TheHauntingNightmare-0.3.0e-pc\renpy\ui.py", line 299, in interact
    rv = renpy.game.interface.interact(roll_forward=roll_forward, **kwargs)
  File "E:\Hgames\TheHauntingNightmare-0.3.0e-pc\renpy\display\core.py", line 3377, in interact
    repeat, rv = self.interact_core(preloads=preloads, trans_pause=trans_pause, pause=pause, pause_start=pause_start, pause_modal=pause_modal, **kwargs) # type: ignore
  File "E:\Hgames\TheHauntingNightmare-0.3.0e-pc\renpy\display\core.py", line 3810, in interact_core
    root_widget.visit_all(lambda i : i.per_interact())
  File "E:\Hgames\TheHauntingNightmare-0.3.0e-pc\renpy\display\core.py", line 582, in visit_all
    d.visit_all(callback, seen)
  File "E:\Hgames\TheHauntingNightmare-0.3.0e-pc\renpy\display\core.py", line 582, in visit_all
  File "E:\Hgames\TheHauntingNightmare-0.3.0e-pc\renpy\display\screen.py", line 451, in visit_all
    callback(self)
  File "E:\Hgames\TheHauntingNightmare-0.3.0e-pc\renpy\display\core.py", line 3810, in <lambda>
    root_widget.visit_all(lambda i : i.per_interact())
  File "E:\Hgames\TheHauntingNightmare-0.3.0e-pc\renpy\display\screen.py", line 462, in per_interact
    self.update()
  File "E:\Hgames\TheHauntingNightmare-0.3.0e-pc\renpy\display\screen.py", line 653, in update
    self.screen.function(**self.scope)
  File "game/game_screens/sandbox_screen.rpy", line 66, in execute
  File "game/game_screens/sandbox_screen.rpy", line 69, in execute
  File "game/game_screens/sandbox_screen.rpy", line 69, in <module>
KeyError: 6

Windows-10-10.0.19045 AMD64
Ren'Py 8.0.3.22090809
The Haunting Nightmare 0.3.0e
Sat Mar  9 18:18:47 2024
I roughly know what the issue is. Avoiding this bug might require starting a new game because there have been changes to the initialization files.

But it's actually not a big deal, as this bug doesn't affect anything since I haven't finished the content for day 6 yet, that's why there is keyerror '6'. As long as you can play the Laura's new event then the update is good to go. But thanks for reporting anyway.

N0lla

Aug 25, 2023
Enjoyed the game so far. Nice renders. Mix of combat, free roam and story. Looking forward to more updates.

Well done Dev.

monksims

Mar 17, 2019
moustache or mustache... If I was the developer, I'd give a hint of "8 or 9 letters" and I'd accept both answers.

Also, since you want all lowercase but don't convert the answer into lowercase, I'd do it too so it doesn't matter how the player types the answer even with their caps lock on:
Code:
$ answer = renpy.input("Your answer:", allow="abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz- ", length=10).lower()

monksims

Mar 17, 2019
Oh, I managed to defeat Dessy in the introductory fight. Then all dialogue was written if I lost. If there is a possibility to win a fight, take it into account in the dialogue. Otherwise, make the last winning round impossible to win. ;)

Reactions: metamorphMP

metamorphMP

Jan 6, 2024
Oh, I managed to defeat Dessy in the introductory fight. Then all dialogue was written if I lost. If there is a possibility to win a fight, take it into account in the dialogue. Otherwise, make the last winning round impossible to win. ;)
The same, I assumed that whether you win or lose - the result is the same, could have saved some time if I knew beforehand.

Reactions: noobxs

Ghost''

Mar 17, 2021
The Haunting Nightmare [v0.3.1a] Unofficial Android Port

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

- 191mb

My Android Ports have a 2nd Persistent save location. So, even if you uninstall the game, the saves will remain Intact.

Saves location: Storage/0011/Game-name

You can also join my discord server for more and support me.

You can also join 0011 discord server

If you like my works please support me.

Last edited:

Dofla Studio

Game Developer
Oct 18, 2023
The same, I assumed that whether you win or lose - the result is the same, could have saved some time if I knew beforehand.
While creating this battle, I did write victory dialogue, and I was planning to develop an achievement system later where winning would unlock an achievement. However, if you're only seeing the dialogue for failure, it might be a bug. I'll check it, thanks for reporting.

metamorphMP

Jan 6, 2024
I like the game. I like it's mechanics in general, fighting mechanics is cool too, though it's hard to win against more skilled NPCs, like for example at the start, or in the gym.
Though, the 1st fight is a bit of a waste, if it's a bug, then ok.

It's a coincidence, but I played the game at night with headphones, and DID I have a fucking goosebumps during some scenes, especially when the nightmare with Jess happened, damn, that was creepy... and amazing, I can tell ya, it was the 1st time i felt like this while playing a VN.
I really hope there will be more scenes like this. It could have been even better with a proper music (more dread), cause music helps to create an atmosphere a lot.
I am surprised the game doesn't have horror tag, it definitely deserves it much more than some other games that already have it.

The LIs are ok in my opinion, there are girls for every taste - shy one, slutty one, milf, ex etc.
Hard to judge their personalities cause there is little content so far. The models are very beautiful though.

The story (the premise) is very cool, I really want to know what happens next in the mean plot. The writing though could be polished, too bald if you ask me.

UI is good as well, pretty simple and intuitive.

Dofla Studio

Now, some moments that were a bit off or just poor (only my perspective of course, maybe it will help you in some way):

1) The 1st fight, it took me some time to win))), it should be rewarded in the end not with the same scene), we discussed it already.
2) When at the start MC, Luna, Doc and Lanxin were discussing the disease, Doc said smth that it's serious and Luna with a smile on her face said smth like "exactly like news said", I assume you didn't want to waste time on one more render, but smiling Luna looked really weird at that serious moment.
3) The 1st event with Lanxin (pics guessing), it happened that I played this event almost in the end (after I went shopping with her and met her at the Doc etc), to this moment I knew already what's her disease, but she says "Hello Alex, I have special condition that prevents me from speaking".
Yeah, well, it looked a bit off, like it's the 1st time we meet. I get it - it's a sandbox, but maybe it would be a good idea to block some events until previous one are played (make it - so I can't go shopping with Lanxin until I finished her 1st event at home etc), or just write neutral text.
I mean you already did well with Jane, we can't get on the yacht until we massage her at home. The same should be with all other LIs, - consistency.
Such messy/chaotic moments break immersion immediately personally for me.
4) Titty fuck from Luna was just out of nowhere, maybe I am just a picky prick who likes solid logical story, but damn, that was very unexpected. Oh, and no one mentions it in a game later (even in Codex it is not mentioned), unlike after the night with Jess.
5) The last but not least, writing, I am not a native as you can judge from my text, but reading some dialogues did hurt even me, a lot.
I made some notes while playing the game, maybe it will be useful for you (I'll send it in DM).

Dofla Studio

Game Developer
Oct 18, 2023
I like the game. I like it's mechanics in general, fighting mechanics is cool too, though it's hard to win against more skilled NPCs, like for example at the start, or in the gym.
Though, the 1st fight is a bit of a waste, if it's a bug, then ok.

It's a coincidence, but I played the game at night with headphones, and DID I have a fucking goosebumps during some scenes, especially when the nightmare with Jess happened, damn, that was creepy... and amazing, I can tell ya, it was the 1st time i felt like this while playing a VN.
I really hope there will be more scenes like this. It could have been even better with a proper music (more dread), cause music helps to create an atmosphere a lot.
I am surprised the game doesn't have horror tag, it definitely deserves it much more than some other games that already have it.

The LIs are ok in my opinion, there are girls for every taste - shy one, slutty one, milf, ex etc.
Hard to judge their personalities cause there is little content so far. The models are very beautiful though.

The story (the premise) is very cool, I really want to know what happens next in the mean plot. The writing though could be polished, too bald if you ask me.

UI is good as well, pretty simple and intuitive.

Dofla Studio

Now, some moments that were a bit off or just poor (only my perspective of course, maybe it will help you in some way):

1) The 1st fight, it took me some time to win))), it should be rewarded in the end not with the same scene), we discussed it already.
2) When at the start MC, Luna, Doc and Lanxin were discussing the disease, Doc said smth that it's serious and Luna with a smile on her face said smth like "exactly like news said", I assume you didn't want to waste time on one more render, but smiling Luna looked really weird at that serious moment.
3) The 1st event with Lanxin (pics guessing), it happened that I played this event almost in the end (after I went shopping with her and met her at the Doc etc), to this moment I knew already what's her disease, but she says "Hello Alex, I have special condition that prevents me from speaking".
Yeah, well, it looked a bit off, like it's the 1st time we meet. I get it - it's a sandbox, but maybe it would be a good idea to block some events until previous one are played (make it - so I can't go shopping with Lanxin until I finished her 1st event at home etc), or just write neutral text.
I mean you already did well with Jane, we can't get on the yacht until we massage her at home. The same should be with all other LIs, - consistency.
Such messy/chaotic moments break immersion immediately personally for me.
4) Titty fuck from Luna was just out of nowhere, maybe I am just a picky prick who likes solid logical story, but damn, that was very unexpected. Oh, and no one mentions it in a game later (even in Codex it is not mentioned), unlike after the night with Jess.
5) The last but not least, writing, I am not a native as you can judge from my text, but reading some dialogues did hurt even me, a lot.
I made some notes while playing the game, maybe it will be useful for you (I'll send it in DM).
Thank you so much for sharing all these, these are very valuable reviews. I'll take into account and make the game better.

BTW, I might misunderstand before about what you said about the fight. I thought it's with Dessy(The second fight in gym) but I realized later that you mean the first fight in the nightmare right? That was a tutorial fight, with the same outcome regardless of winning or losing. Perhaps I should add a hint before this fight to avoid wasting time...

monksims

Mar 17, 2019
While creating this battle, I did write victory dialogue, and I was planning to develop an achievement system later where winning would unlock an achievement. However, if you're only seeing the dialogue for failure, it might be a bug. I'll check it, thanks for reporting.
I think there was a different scene right after the Dessy fight. :unsure: What I was trying to tell that all following scenes only had dialogue giving an impression that Dessy won the fight. I don't have the game files anymore but for example the discussion with Luna didn't have any if statements.

... the first fight in the nightmare right? That was a tutorial fight, with the same outcome regardless of winning or losing. Perhaps I should add a hint before this fight to avoid wasting time...
Hints are boring for an unwinnable fight. For fights you want to unwinnable, you could make the NPC to break the "fight rules" and have them counter MC's winning attack. It should make it clear to the player that the fight was to be lost. ;)

metamorphMP

Jan 6, 2024
Thank you so much for sharing all these, these are very valuable reviews. I'll take into account and make the game better.

BTW, I might misunderstand before about what you said about the fight. I thought it's with Dessy(The second fight in gym) but I realized later that you mean the first fight in the nightmare right? That was a tutorial fight, with the same outcome regardless of winning or losing. Perhaps I should add a hint before this fight to avoid wasting time...
Yeah, just add a note that outcome will be the same.
Because I lost the fight and then kept trying for a while just to get the same scene in the end.

Also, forgot in previous post.
The same confusing situation with which event with Luna should be played first (TV-kiss or kiss in a pool), i played it so kiss in the pool was second, but then i replayed and if we kiss her in the pool party first - she mentions it when we kiss her at home, so probably event should be after pool party?. Anyways, yeah, order a bit confusing for me, like with Lanxin.

P.S. I sent some dialogues notes in DM

Good luck with a game

Last edited:

metamorphMP

Jan 6, 2024
Personally i don't like the fight mechanics at all, seems to me there's no skill involved really just guesswork.
Well, skills do matter when you hit (strength, speed), I mean, that "scary woman" in the gym just one-shot me - one hit and 4 damage, while we usually do either 1 damage or miss, I stoped even trying after a couples of attempts in order not to waste time. I mean to beat her - we have to hit her 5 times (if there are no misses) and not take any hits from her.
As for rock paper scissors, yeah, probably guessing.

But defeat probably was meant to be in the gym, I haven't had any problems with Jess in a nightmare.
In general mechanics is cool, its like in any other game - you can't defeat a mob who is much more skilled than you. to do that - you have to get better.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlexMpog
4.00 star(s) 8 Votes