VN Ren'Py Abandoned The Hotel Manager [v0.3a] [FTB Software]

4.40 star(s) 8 Votes

bigpenniser

Aug 7, 2016
So, being the first time I am actually playing through, I guess there is no way to avoid being Sophie's boyfriend right?

EDIT: Played through. I am REALLY not liking where this is obviously going :rolleyes:

Armorer

Oct 28, 2017
For your amusement Mr Rogers comments about shopping were posted into the Tropes thread.

I fully expect alcohol, massage oil, surveillance cameras and bikini's to show up in the shop "just because". Maybe the shop girl will complain about the surveillance cameras selling out to SOMEONE ELSE. Because maybe it's not the MC stalking women, it's the women stalking the MC... and I think it's a alien conspiracy :)

Barabash

Jun 5, 2018
I dont know, that sudden tone change with superpowers and random stuff was a little big "no please?". Specially since I really dont like Sophie's weird shape-shifting face at all.
Yeah, I know, I get You...
Well, I'm trying to stay at least neutral, I don't want to give any judgement until I'll see how it went out.
Let's just wait. And hope for the best ;)

Reactions: bigpenniser

bigpenniser

Aug 7, 2016
Yeah, I know, I get You...
Well, I'm trying to stay at least neutral, I don't want to give any judgement until I'll see how it went out.
Let's just wait. And hope for the best ;)
Yeah, if you get more choices down the line to avoid weirdface Im good to go.

Reactions: Barabash

FlipTopBin

Game Developer
Dec 5, 2017
I have to say that I am with you on the story. I really liked Sophie to start with but as the story progressed in my head she becomes a whole different person and I am not sure I like where this is going now. I am certainly having a massive enthusiasm failure when it comes to starting on 0.4

Currently I am seriosuly considering abandoning it.

This game, being my first, has been a very steep learning curve in terms of writing and rendering and programming. I like to think I have learned a lot in all three areas now and it may be better to just give up and start again on a new story and do it properly, or at least better.

To help me make this decision can anybody who is interested please let me know what they they like and dislike about the latest patch in the areas of:

a> Writing style
b> story
c> static renders
d> animations
e> Game mechanics and general repy programming (ignoring the massive bug in 0.3)

Armorer

Oct 28, 2017
I like the humor... I really don't like the protag essentially being captured by a female character as it seems will happen. I think it's a good game and deserves to live.

Reactions: Koulo077

bigpenniser

Aug 7, 2016
I have to say that I am with you on the story. I really liked Sophie to start with but as the story progressed in my head she becomes a whole different person and I am not sure I like where this is going now. I am certainly having a massive enthusiasm failure when it comes to starting on 0.4

This game, being my first, has been a very steep learning curve in terms of writing and rendering and programming. I like to think I have learned a lot in all three areas now and it may be better to just give up and start again on a new story and do it properly, or at least better.

To help me make this decision can anybody who is interested please let me know what they they like and dislike about the latest patch in the areas of:

a> Writing style
b> story
c> static renders
d> animations
e> Game mechanics and general repy programming (ignoring the massive bug in 0.3)
I like the humor and the jabs at other game's tropes, and I havent found anything wrong with the writing beyond Sophie being completely dumb, tho I assume that was the intention. The story was decent enough until this last update with the supernatural stuff that seemed to come completely out of left field.

The renders, except for Sophie's, I would say they are decent enough, and if I remember correctly so are the animations, and for the gameplay I would have introduced some more involvement on improving the hotel. I dont know, something like being able to use the income you get to improve the gym, build a swimming pool or a sauna, etc.

Now, one big problem I had with the story is that I REALLY dislike being forced into relationships in these games, specially when its with characters I dont like, and I really dont like anything about Sophie.

That said, rather than making a completely new game I would maybe restart this one with more of a focus on choosing what to do, which girls to pursue, and improving the hotel to get more scenes in the zones you improve/build and more income, to be able to keep improving it and getting more scenes and more income. Also, I really havent noticed any bug.

Regardless of this, its your choice, and doing what you prefer will probably give a better result in the end.

But please, if you do start making a completely new game, keep Chris

If you want my opinion on anything else or for me to elaborate further on any point, please tell me.

Armorer

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe the MC will discover he is immune to the effects of her mother and forge his own path. The mother could be considered in a classic sense a force of nature. Drama and comedy could come from this. Also something struck me, the little bit at the end was the other female characters commenting. Maybe they are actually in opposition to or at least allies in the MC not getting railroaded into that sort of relationship. After all life is all about massage oil, alcohol, surveillance cameras and happy polygamy. Which he is not going to get if this keeps up.

Reactions: Barabash

Floga

Jun 30, 2018
Now, one big problem I had with the story is that I REALLY dislike being forced into relationships in these games, specially when its with characters I dont like, and I really dont like anything about Sophie.
I get it. I too hate being forced into relationships. But what if it's a part of the plot? In this game, Sophie is obviously a part supernatural and probably a heir to something important (as it is evident that she hates getting called a princess, that maybe she infact is a princess). So that makes the mother a queen. Now I'm just speculating at this point, but Sophie seems integral to the plot and everything seems to revolve around her. So I think the MC being with Sophie is a very important aspect of the story.

Reactions: UncleVT

bigpenniser

Aug 7, 2016
I get it. I too hate being forced into relationships. But what if it's a part of the plot? In this game, Sophie is obviously a part supernatural and probably a heir to something important (as it is evident that she hates getting called a princess, that maybe she infact is a princess). So that makes the mother a queen. Now I'm just speculating at this point, but Sophie seems integral to the plot and everything seems to revolve around her. So I think the MC being with Sophie is a very important aspect of the story.
Then I still dont like it and think its a mistake to have a game with multiple girls where you are forced to be with one ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I get what you say, but I believe that if you have the apparent choices to make, you should be able to do so.

Reactions: Floga

Armorer

Oct 28, 2017
Then I still dont like it and think its a mistake to have a game with multiple girls where you are forced to be with one ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I get what you say, but I believe that if you have the apparent choices to make, you should be able to do so.
That conflict can lead to good game. "Dammit! I've struggled enough in my life. I fought long and hard for my long and hard, It's time to get all the Girls!" *flashback to youth and the times he's had 2 or 3 women on tap*

Hubs_in_hose

Jan 11, 2018

a> Writing style
b> story
c> static renders
d> animations
I really like the look and feel of the game. I could not tell this was your first game. Your style was your own, I did not feel like I was playing yet another take on the run of the mill game. I sort of understand the situation where you start a character one way then they morph into something else as you write. I don't know if you had the storyline written before you started bringing it to your game or if you let the story grow from one release to the next. I think most of the stronger games have the primary story arc completed before they start the game part. You don't have to release all of the story in the initial game versions, but that way you know where the main players will at least start and end.

With the last release, it did seem like someone else wrote it, or at least had a hand in the outcome. There was no supernatural feel to anything leading up to the latest release then all of a sudden the direction changed. If that is what you want to do, the take it that way, it is your game make it what makes YOU happy. IMO, there is nothing wrong with taking the things you liked from the game and restarting it (the NEW Hotel Manager). That way you don't have to start completely from scratch.

FlipTopBin

Game Developer
Dec 5, 2017
I think most of the stronger games have the primary story arc completed before they start the game part.
I think you are correct here and that is part of my problem.

Originally the idea was that my Patreons would choose a character each release and I would make something up for them. Next release, new character, rinse and repeat. However, when I gave up on the whole commercial game idea and turned this into a hobby project. I concentrated on my favourite character Sophie.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

I have had the end point of the story in my head since I finished 0.1 but how I get there just spills out of my fingers each release. Unfortunatly, as the story comes out I am realising that I don't really like what Sophie becomes. If I had written the whole thing first then I would have known and could have changed the ending. Unfortunatly after all these months, this is who Sophie is to me now. So there will definitly not be a remake or a HM 2.0 or anything like that.

If I start again it will be a completely new story and I will definitly finish the writing first to make sure I am happy. Then I will start on the renpy and the renders.

I don't want to blame this all on Sophie though. Producing even these small and infrequent updates is damned hard work and takes up an inordinate amount of my life. This might just be Daz burnout talking.

Uwe Furtmustal

Mar 16, 2018
So, finally I managed to play v0.3. I was little worried after reading some comments here ... but after playing, i have to say, I really like it. Like it a LOT. The story is starting to be very interesting & mysterious and I'm looking forward to next update. So I really realy hope, that you won't abandon it, @FlipTopBin. I really think you should continue and (at least some fast way) finish this story ... I know it's your game, but I think there are lot of us with the same wish. At least I think (and hope).

I'm really looking forward for the next episode.

And if you need to start a new project, please, at least, use the Sophie model :D (rename her, make her anorther personality, story, but use the model, I totally love her :D)

Best wishes :) Uwe

Reactions: Floga

Kommios

Aug 31, 2018
Got round to playing this recently, and I've really enjoyed it. A number of chuckles along the way, and a couple of genuine laugh-out-loud moments. The characters are all pretty hot, and have distinctive, individual personalities. There's a quirky, unusual quality to the game which, I think, really sets it apart. There's a lot of positives in this game, for sure, and no major negatives at all, so far as I'm concerned. I'm really hoping you persist with this, and eagerly anticipating the next update.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

4.40 star(s) 8 Votes