Trohlm

Oct 22, 2017
Thank you and welcome.

I'll be using my own placeholders initially for sure, and will save all art assets for last, I want to be sure I can handle this project on all other levels before I start spending money on hiring others to help me. But thanks for those recommendations, I've written them down in a notepad and will go check them out when I am ready. I've heard stuff that goes from between $25 to $100 for a piece of competently drawn art, just from my google searches, and that's fine for a few images, but I'm gonna need a lot of different art assets for a game like this. I was hoping I could order it in bulk, so I am glad you suggested it, meaning it's a possibility, do you have any guesses on what the bulk order discount would be? Because I did some estimates for how many drawings I'd need per character, and I also wanted to have more characters than in Imperial Gatekeeper to give it more variety, and these were my estimates, assuming $25 per piece (though I am hoping it's a silly pricing, as drawing something like 1 pair of panties with no background will probably be cheaper)

2 Nude Body States (un/embarrassed) + 4 Hair Styles + 3 Pubes + 4 Shirts + 3 Bras + 4 Pants + 3 Panties + 4 Shoes + 3 Accessories + 3 Contraband x 2 for Front and Back drawings = 66 drawings x 15 Female characters = 990 drawings @ $25 = $24,750 Cost.

And this is not including Facial Expressions, all the UI and menu's, the male characters or the chibi game world on the side screen. I'm willing to spend a few grand making something look really good, if it means I could hopefully one day get it on Steam. But I am hoping I don't have to go above 25k. If only I could draw well. I wonder what the budget for Imperial Gatekeeper was.
The budget, without his time, art and coding stuff, would have been around $300~500. Considering most of the materials used are copyright/ royalty free. The ones he had to pay for was the "Nekuro" series pixel map and a BGM iirc.

Bulk discounts depend on the artist themselves, since those website artists normally do just a singular piece to 3 of them at around max so just negotiate(since many of them would be repetitive). Bulk discounts generally for whatever product go around 25% ~ depending on external factors.

*P.S Don't just chuck down "draw 990 drawings by *****" that's just crazy xD. Break it down into smaller pieces, big mountain > small hill. Down payment should be about 30~50%.

Ho229

Nov 7, 2019
Thank you and welcome.

I'll be using my own placeholders initially for sure, and will save all art assets for last, I want to be sure I can handle this project on all other levels before I start spending money on hiring others to help me. But thanks for those recommendations, I've written them down in a notepad and will go check them out when I am ready. I've heard stuff that goes from between $25 to $100 for a piece of competently drawn art, just from my google searches, and that's fine for a few images, but I'm gonna need a lot of different art assets for a game like this. I was hoping I could order it in bulk, so I am glad you suggested it, meaning it's a possibility, do you have any guesses on what the bulk order discount would be? Because I did some estimates for how many drawings I'd need per character, and I also wanted to have more characters than in Imperial Gatekeeper to give it more variety, and these were my estimates, assuming $25 per piece (though I am hoping it's a silly pricing, as drawing something like 1 pair of panties with no background will probably be cheaper)

2 Nude Body States (un/embarrassed) + 4 Hair Styles + 3 Pubes + 4 Shirts + 3 Bras + 4 Pants + 3 Panties + 4 Shoes + 3 Accessories + 3 Contraband x 2 for Front and Back drawings = 66 drawings x 15 Female characters = 990 drawings @ $25 = $24,750 Cost.

And this is not including Facial Expressions, all the UI and menu's, the male characters or the chibi game world on the side screen. I'm willing to spend a few grand making something look really good, if it means I could hopefully one day get it on Steam. But I am hoping I don't have to go above 25k. If only I could draw well. I wonder what the budget for Imperial Gatekeeper was.
I don't think variant details should be considered 25$ worthy separate drawings. It's very easy for an artist to alter eyes and facial features once everything else is drawn. Depends on how easy or complicated their rendering is, or how complex the change is. If they are working with flat colors, it may be as easy as using the bucket tool for color changes to panties and bras, if it doesn't mess with the shading and such. Adding blushes for un/embarrassed especially is very easy. A full package of a character model with # of variants should be considered a bulk order which really can't be predicted until you hash it out and shop around with many artists to see what their willing to do, if they can even handle the workload. I'm talking out of my ass mostly, but I really doubt 15 character models plus a few hundred work-intense variants (clothing designs/Front&Back especially for every article of clothing) will cost 25K. The contraband can be a generic png overlayed on top of the character model for example at various anchor points (neck, thigh, stomach), just to note. Sharing royalties, kickstarter, yada yada can also change the cash out of pocket price. But maybe downsizing to just being competently comparable to the inspiration will help until anyone can work up to a grander scale.

Trohlm

Oct 22, 2017
I don't think variant details should be considered 25$ worthy separate drawings. It's very easy for an artist to alter eyes and facial features once everything else is drawn. Depends on how easy or complicated their rendering is, or how complex the change is. If they are working with flat colors, it may be as easy as using the bucket tool for color changes to panties and bras, if it doesn't mess with the shading and such. Adding blushes for un/embarrassed especially is very easy. A full package of a character model with # of variants should be considered a bulk order which really can't be predicted until you hash it out and shop around with many artists to see what their willing to do, if they can even handle the workload. I'm talking out of my ass mostly, but I really doubt 15 character models plus a few hundred work-intense variants (clothing designs/Front&Back especially for every article of clothing) will cost 25K. The contraband can be a generic png overlayed on top of the character model for example at various anchor points (neck, thigh, stomach), just to note. Sharing royalties, kickstarter, yada yada can also change the cash out of pocket price. But maybe downsizing to just being competently comparable to the inspiration will help until anyone can work up to a grander scale.
Yeah, that's what I meant too, that estimate of 25k was bonkers O.O. Ugh, I'd type more rn but I'm on my phone. Laters

*Edit
Along with Ho's downsizing recommendation, posting the final product on DLSite (as suppose to steam) will fare better just due to audience and stuff, not saying that you can't do both of course. Anyways, this is wayyy too much in the future, so I'm just babbling. Don't mind me.

Also, since I'm actually an artist, Ho isn't wrong. I'd be ripping you off if I said 25k, a rough estimate for all those for a single char would be probably around $65~85(depending on complexity and also because of bulk). Of course, that's my opinion, it can be lower or higher depending on the artists style and other factors, that's why I said it really just depends on the artist themselves.

Last edited:

Mandalore777

Oct 7, 2019
Bulk discounts depend on the artist themselves, since those website artists normally do just a singular piece to 3 of them at around max so just negotiate(since many of them would be repetitive). Bulk discounts generally for whatever product go around 25% ~ depending on external factors.Down payment should be about 30~50%.
Thanks. I guess I will spend a while searching around when the time comes to it. With art style being so important to a game like this's success, I'd need to find someone who can both do the load, do it well and have a very good looking style that people find attractive. I also suppose if I got 2 different artists to work on it, the art styles could clash, since we aren't making it in a typical game dev environment, but over the internet.

I figured such for the facial expressions would just be small edits, which is why I didn't factor them into my costs. But with panties, bras etc, to make the game not seem cheap, and to add to the fun I wanted unique designs for each girl, I also wanted some girls to go without panties, so during the early game, before you have unlocked remove underwear ability, if you tell them to take off their skirt for a contraband search, they get embarrassed and say they can't do it, and you have to press the issue until they admit to you they aren't wearing underwear. Then it's your choice to force them or not. But basically different colored panties wouldn't be as fun as not knowing if the Office Lady is wearing A G String, A Thong, Shimapan or Nopan today because I want panties and bra's to be randomized under the normal clothing too, instead of being tethered to the outer layer. I want as much variety and surprise as possible. I also wanted panties and bras to be separate items. So say if a girl has smaller breasts and is self conscious and it's an embarrassment point for her, you can get her to take of her panties and be bottomless, but leave her bra on. And that enables her to be in the unembarrassed state of undress and to be more cooperative for the rest of the ordeal. But if you expose their embarrassment point (which for some might just be being naked at all) I wanted the embarrassment to be more than a blush. One part of Imperial Gatekeeper which could be better, is when embarrassed girls blush and refuse to take off their underwear, you press the issue, and they take it off but they keep the same body pose and let you see everything. I understand because changing the underlying body pose means none of the clothing would line up, and that would double the artwork, but it's not so if she's nude. So if you force the embarrassed girl to get nude, she should have an alternative embarrassed body state where her arms and legs change to cover her bits, or she maybe squats down on the ground and hides her face and nudity and refuses to stand and becomes non cooperative, and she needs to be ordered, or even spanked to make her assume her normal pose state while undressed.

Yeah, that's what I meant too, that estimate of 25k was bonkers O.O. Ugh, I'd type more rn but I'm on my phone. Laters

*Edit
Along with Ho's downsizing recommendation, posting the final product on DLSite (as suppose to steam) will fare better just due to audience and stuff, not saying that you can't do both of course. Anyways, this is wayyy too much in the future, so I'm just babbling. Don't mind me.

Also, since I'm actually an artist, Ho isn't wrong. I'd be ripping you off if I said 25k, a rough estimate for all those for a single char would be probably around $65~85(depending on complexity and also because of bulk). Of course, that's my opinion, it can be lower or higher depending on the artists style and other factors, that's why I said it really just depends on the artist themselves.
Well that's fantastic then if I way overestimated the cost. If it's less, or even only $100 per character then I feel like I could raise the character count more, and add more special types like more beast women types or alien women, or more body types like fit girls, thick women etc. Or maybe make the packages more expensive and add more outfits and hairstyles for existing ones. I want to have a lot of women in outfits considered to be authority positions in the game (Police, CEO's, Military Officers, Billionaire Heiresses, Politicians and Gov Officials etc) going through your checkpoint so you can have a chance to really ruffle their feathers. But having a full police outfit means one less top and bottom to put in a random generator. The police shirt would always have to go with police skirt. I want to have some shirts and pants be able to be mixed and matched to create more variety in the people you are dealing with, so it's not the same girls all the time. I think the one drawback of Imperial Gatekeeper is the very small amount of female NPC's. If doing clothes packages for each body could be put into a $100 bundle. Then 20 female characters would only be $2,000 and that seems fair if there could be at least 4 randomized tops and bottoms, and 2 special outfits like Policewoman etc per base nude model for each girl.

I think this is highly doable. Now I just need to spend a few weeks learning Gamemaker. Plus apparently I need to buy a license to release things for that too.

Edit: In regards to DLsite. If I get this made, I will try to get it put everywhere I can, so I can recoup the dev costs. I don't know if GoG allows adult content but I'd try to get it put there too. Anyways thank you both for your posts, they were very helpful. Also in regards to the kickstarter idea, I don't know if that would work since I am just a random nobody. From what I've seen most successful kickstarters seemed to be guys with years of industry experience. Maybe if I can get a working build of this up and running in a few months, maybe I could make a patreon to fund continued development and have new features, new art and new girls added every week. But I am probably getting ahead of myself.

Reactions: Choyz and Trohlm

Mandalore777

Oct 7, 2019
More updates will be released this November. Dayum
Is there a blog or someplace where the devs post updates? What is the source on this?

I want to do another playthrough of this game, but if it's getting another update soon I might wait till v1.22 is out. Is there any news on when it's actually coming out?

Ho229

Nov 7, 2019
Thanks. I guess I will spend a while searching around when the time comes to it. With art style being so important to a game like this's success, I'd need to find someone who can both do the load, do it well and have a very good looking style that people find attractive. I also suppose if I got 2 different artists to work on it, the art styles could clash, since we aren't making it in a typical game dev environment, but over the internet.

I figured such for the facial expressions would just be small edits, which is why I didn't factor them into my costs. But with panties, bras etc, to make the game not seem cheap, and to add to the fun I wanted unique designs for each girl, I also wanted some girls to go without panties, so during the early game, before you have unlocked remove underwear ability, if you tell them to take off their skirt for a contraband search, they get embarrassed and say they can't do it, and you have to press the issue until they admit to you they aren't wearing underwear. Then it's your choice to force them or not. But basically different colored panties wouldn't be as fun as not knowing if the Office Lady is wearing A G String, A Thong, Shimapan or Nopan today because I want panties and bra's to be randomized under the normal clothing too, instead of being tethered to the outer layer. I want as much variety and surprise as possible. I also wanted panties and bras to be separate items. So say if a girl has smaller breasts and is self conscious and it's an embarrassment point for her, you can get her to take of her panties and be bottomless, but leave her bra on. And that enables her to be in the unembarrassed state of undress and to be more cooperative for the rest of the ordeal. But if you expose their embarrassment point (which for some might just be being naked at all) I wanted the embarrassment to be more than a blush. One part of Imperial Gatekeeper which could be better, is when embarrassed girls blush and refuse to take off their underwear, you press the issue, and they take it off but they keep the same body pose and let you see everything. I understand because changing the underlying body pose means none of the clothing would line up, and that would double the artwork, but it's not so if she's nude. So if you force the embarrassed girl to get nude, she should have an alternative embarrassed body state where her arms and legs change to cover her bits, or she maybe squats down on the ground and hides her face and nudity and refuses to stand and becomes non cooperative, and she needs to be ordered, or even spanked to make her assume her normal pose state while undressed.

Well that's fantastic then if I way overestimated the cost. If it's less, or even only $100 per character then I feel like I could raise the character count more, and add more special types like more beast women types or alien women, or more body types like fit girls, thick women etc. Or maybe make the packages more expensive and add more outfits and hairstyles for existing ones. I want to have a lot of women in outfits considered to be authority positions in the game (Police, CEO's, Military Officers, Billionaire Heiresses, Politicians and Gov Officials etc) going through your checkpoint so you can have a chance to really ruffle their feathers. But having a full police outfit means one less top and bottom to put in a random generator. The police shirt would always have to go with police skirt. I want to have some shirts and pants be able to be mixed and matched to create more variety in the people you are dealing with, so it's not the same girls all the time. I think the one drawback of Imperial Gatekeeper is the very small amount of female NPC's. If doing clothes packages for each body could be put into a $100 bundle. Then 20 female characters would only be $2,000 and that seems fair if there could be at least 4 randomized tops and bottoms, and 2 special outfits like Policewoman etc per base nude model for each girl.

I think this is highly doable. Now I just need to spend a few weeks learning Gamemaker. Plus apparently I need to buy a license to release things for that too.

Edit: In regards to DLsite. If I get this made, I will try to get it put everywhere I can, so I can recoup the dev costs. I don't know if GoG allows adult content but I'd try to get it put there too. Anyways thank you both for your posts, they were very helpful. Also in regards to the kickstarter idea, I don't know if that would work since I am just a random nobody. From what I've seen most successful kickstarters seemed to be guys with years of industry experience. Maybe if I can get a working build of this up and running in a few months, maybe I could make a patreon to fund continued development and have new features, new art and new girls added every week. But I am probably getting ahead of myself.
I'd say we got ahead of ourselves as soon as art was brought up. Despite it being the be all end all when it comes to fap-worthy ness, the coding is just as important. I wish ya the best of luck as you seem to be a fountain of degenerate ideas. The embarrassment point would work so well in the tactics of balancing the guages. It'd work in tandem with the Pleasure points in ImpGate pre gud. I think you underestimate the need for Unattractive models, or everyday people that make getting an attractive one all the better. The focus should be whatever your audience finds most fappable, of course, but the Gacha/Loto-esque dopamine spike of going through models you really don't care for and then get a sick combo of clothes/hair color on the body type you like would be lessened if everyone was a hot girl. Unsexxable normal civies could be haggled down to 1 portrait that has only a single cloth design, and a dozen swatches of easily coded color variants to break up the time you have available with the good shit. Might not be worth it, but consider it faaar in the future. Anyway. Agreed on the whole clothing thing. I think your estimates are more on the money now. Maybe. Don't take this hard: but given how ludicrously different this plays from any gamemaker game, I am both concerned and curious of what the coding even looks like under the hood. I wouldn't be able to make sense of it anyway. Wish you the best in learning and replicating, take it step by step, and don't let a hobny ruin your life, yadyada. Back on topic now I guess.

Blowjobs when?

Reactions: Runezs and Trohlm

Trohlm

Oct 22, 2017
I'd say we got ahead of ourselves as soon as art was brought up. Despite it being the be all end all when it comes to fap-worthy ness, the coding is just as important. I wish ya the best of luck as you seem to be a fountain of degenerate ideas. The embarrassment point would work so well in the tactics of balancing the guages. It'd work in tandem with the Pleasure points in ImpGate pre gud. I think you underestimate the need for Unattractive models, or everyday people that make getting an attractive one all the better. The focus should be whatever your audience finds most fappable, of course, but the Gacha/Loto-esque dopamine spike of going through models you really don't care for and then get a sick combo of clothes/hair color on the body type you like would be lessened if everyone was a hot girl. Unsexxable normal civies could be haggled down to 1 portrait that has only a single cloth design, and a dozen swatches of easily coded color variants to break up the time you have available with the good shit. Might not be worth it, but consider it faaar in the future. Anyway. Agreed on the whole clothing thing. I think your estimates are more on the money now. Maybe. Don't take this hard: but given how ludicrously different this plays from any gamemaker game, I am both concerned and curious of what the coding even looks like under the hood. I wouldn't be able to make sense of it anyway. Wish you the best in learning and replicating, take it step by step, and don't let a hobny ruin your life, yadyada. Back on topic now I guess.

Blowjobs when?
Pffft, hahaha

Plz update us too Mandalore777

Mandalore777

Oct 7, 2019
Thanks, and yeah, very ahead of myself, it will likely take months before I even have a demo to show. But I just like to plan ahead so I know what I am getting into.

One feature I did want to have though was a suggestion box on the main menu, where people can suggest fetishes or situations for future updates. Since fetishes are what drives games like this, it's important to have as many to please as many people as possible. It's always frustrating when you have a somewhat obscure fetish, and a game/movie/tv show just almost scratches that itch but doesn't go all the way.

In regards to unnattractive models, how do you make a 2D anime styled character look ugly without making her look deformed or fat? Do you mean plain jane looking girls? Or non sexy hairstyles or clothing?

Ho229

Nov 7, 2019
Thanks, and yeah, very ahead of myself, it will likely take months before I even have a demo to show. But I just like to plan ahead so I know what I am getting into.

One feature I did want to have though was a suggestion box on the main menu, where people can suggest fetishes or situations for future updates. Since fetishes are what drives games like this, it's important to have as many to please as many people as possible. It's always frustrating when you have a somewhat obscure fetish, and a game/movie/tv show just almost scratches that itch but doesn't go all the way.

In regards to unnattractive models, how do you make a 2D anime styled character look ugly without making her look deformed or fat? Do you mean plain jane looking girls? Or non sexy hairstyles or clothing?
I get the sentiment with a suggestion box idea, but really having a link to a Discord server and a om or off-site polling system should be more effective at getting an idea of what the audience wants. I'd say you have enough features on your plate to keep a dev busy for a long time anyway. Careful of feature creep. Besides, you have a pretty good understanding of the appeal of the game anyway. So yeah. I'm Suggesting you dont take too many Suggestions. I'm aware of the irony.

By unarttactive models/unsexxable, I'm referring to the Man and Beastkin Man in ImpG. The target audience is not expected to want to molest them, but they are there for immersion and variety incase the 1% of people do indeed like that. It'd be very strange if there were no men at all in that medieval low fantasy setting without explanation, right? The same question goes for old men and women/ugly ones/etc type of people. Those really aren't worth implementing too many of, but they break up the hot models and make them more exciting to get.
A funner implementation for a supposed Sci-fi setting would be weird inhuman aliens. Big fat Jabbas, mosquito head fuckers, and droids. Common Rabble you sift through that eventually can be avoided if one chooses to / become less commom at different stages. Again. Real low priority stuff compared to getting as many cute girls as possible.

I'm replaying ImpG and gotta say, the Gold balance with the new Bribing the NPCs do is even worse now. A single bribe pays ridiculously high amounts for the little bit of evaluation deducted. Rolling in dough from an already ez game 2 weeks in.

Mandalore777

Oct 7, 2019
I get the sentiment with a suggestion box idea, but really having a link to a Discord server and a om or off-site polling system should be more effective at getting an idea of what the audience wants. I'd say you have enough features on your plate to keep a dev busy for a long time anyway. Careful of feature creep. Besides, you have a pretty good understanding of the appeal of the game anyway. So yeah. I'm Suggesting you dont take too many Suggestions. I'm aware of the irony.

By unarttactive models/unsexxable, I'm referring to the Man and Beastkin Man in ImpG. The target audience is not expected to want to molest them, but they are there for immersion and variety incase the 1% of people do indeed like that. It'd be very strange if there were no men at all in that medieval low fantasy setting without explanation, right? The same question goes for old men and women/ugly ones/etc type of people. Those really aren't worth implementing too many of, but they break up the hot models and make them more exciting to get.
A funner implementation for a supposed Sci-fi setting would be weird inhuman aliens. Big fat Jabbas, mosquito head fuckers, and droids. Common Rabble you sift through that eventually can be avoided if one chooses to / become less commom at different stages. Again. Real low priority stuff compared to getting as many cute girls as possible.
Whatever method of suggestion is easier or more practical I will go with. And yeah it's a later down the line idea, but if this is going to cost me a few grand to make, I want to cater to as many peoples fetishes as possible so I can make back the budget. I know I've got a lot of my own ideas to implement first though and that will take time. It's just that there are a number of other porn games out there that I would love to suggest a few ideas to the dev, so I know such a feature will likely be wanted.

And with male characters, I will be implementing at least 3, but possibly 4 base male models, with different 3 different clothing and hairstyles each too. Even if you aren't interested in undressing men, which I am not interested in myself, what is interesting would be group interrogations such as I mentioned before, bring in a male and a female NPC, and make the female undress in front of the male. Or vice versa if you are into cfnm.
Also you mention droids, which makes me think of having a Fembot NPC, that you are tempted to undress, but if you do it's just metal parts under her clothes. Feature creep is real haha. Yeah novelty characters would be fun for certain planets, I'd find it fun if there was an easter egg where you could get Battle Droids, Clones and Stormtroopers to appear but I'd get raped in court if I did it. I'm not too fond of putting old ladies in there, maybe an absolute last addition. I would be worried that I was in the moment, click next NPC and an old lady turned up and some wires in my head got crossed. That's a fetish I do not want, and would not want to be responsible for someone acquiring from my game. But I do understand what you are getting at with immersion, variety, and a sense of reward when coming across a hot girl. I don't really want to pay to have ugly/old/fat women drawn, so I guess I will go with the more fun interpretations, or just have a plane jane model with small breasts (not flat, that's a fetish for one of the hot girl models) and no ass, and a pallet swap shirt and pants and soccer mum tier hair and have that be one of the in between NPC's. But really, first I need to focus on the hot girls, then get the immersion NPC's in later on. But I do agree with your point.

edude12345

Feb 28, 2018
Mandalore777, have you considered looking into Godot for the game engine? Sorry if this has been answered already, I haven't read all the posts. I only JUST now checked the posts since like v1.17 lmao

Mandalore777

Oct 7, 2019
Mandalore777, have you considered looking into Godot for the game engine? Sorry if this has been answered already, I haven't read all the posts. I only JUST now checked the posts since like v1.17 lmao
I haven't. But I am looking into it now. It says it's free and open source, so I wouldn't have to buy a license, that's good. I've still got a 1 month trial for Gamemaker so I will use that to learn basics of how to get a game working. But I am open to any engine really. Thanks for the suggestion.

this update is taking too much time...
It is. I'm holding off on another playthrough until next update, but I am getting restless.

Sep 24, 2017
Is anyone else getting the bug with the sexual numbers like "sex-genital" resetting itself?
Edit: Though those that are marked with the pen will still count.

Last edited:
4.40 star(s) 145 Votes