VN Ren'Py The Interim Domain [v0.26.0] [ILSProductions]

3.80 star(s) 38 Votes

mordred93

Jul 21, 2017
I guess we will find out for sure in the next update. My save file lists the current day as 41 and gives the variable mina_end_day as 37 and mina_end_disappearday as 42. I guess she could just be crossing over, but my gut is telling me it's a bad end for Mina.
The mina_end_day is set for 10 days after you have the conversation with her for story 5 (in your case, it would have been day 27) and could have had sex with her or blown her off. Also mina_end_dissappearday is set for 10 days after when you tried to find her after the story 5 (in your case, day 32) after story 5. In your story - you did story five day 27 and 5 days later tried to find her and she was no where to be found. There is no story 6 yet, so technically you cannot see what happens. When you restart next chapter - you will be in a good place to see what happens on day 42 as she will pop up again on the list (as you have waited the 10 days).

Hope this helps.

Alex5280

Sep 3, 2020
The mina_end_day is set for 10 days after you have the conversation with her for story 5 (in your case, it would have been day 27) and could have had sex with her or blown her off. Also mina_end_dissappearday is set for 10 days after when you tried to find her after the story 5 (in your case, day 32) after story 5. In your story - you did story five day 27 and 5 days later tried to find her and she was no where to be found. There is no story 6 yet, so technically you cannot see what happens. When you restart next chapter - you will be in a good place to see what happens on day 42 as she will pop up again on the list (as you have waited the 10 days).

Hope this helps.
I guess that I might be reading more into the variable names than I should. Was thinking disappear and end were meaning route ending and Mina disappearing from the story permanently. Thanks for clarifying!

Tiur

Nov 13, 2021
I guess that I might be reading more into the variable names than I should. Was thinking disappear and end were meaning route ending and Mina disappearing from the story permanently. Thanks for clarifying!
No, you're not wrong. There are only two characters who have an end_day variable set, and one of those is [name]_badend_day and explicitly leads to her becoming a Remnant. The mina_end_day variable is automatically set, no matter what, at the start of Mina 4. So despite the giant warning screen in what it claims is a major choice? There isn't a difference in what actually happens, and I call bullshit on the warning.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Tiur

Nov 13, 2021
I can neither confirm not deny it (because I can't) The resolution to that choice has not been released in the game yet. We don't know if it is a bad idea, or how it will be treated. There are variables that state you make one of two choices ... make her mad at you and she doesn't talk to you for a bit or have sex with her. The next story hasn't been release so we don't know what exactly the resolution is.
Not true, because we do know what the resolution is. mina_story_disappear gets called, no matter what you chose to do.

Tiur

Nov 13, 2021
One more thing, since I was just playing through that sequence again to confirm the variables were being set like I suspected they were.

Mina's story really was one of the first things that clued me in just how fucked up this game is compared to Now & Then, and was the driving factor for me dropping my patronage for ILS.

Literally the ONLY possible outcomes of Mina's story are all negative.

All H scenes with her are negative choices.

There's a big bullshit warning for a choice that doesn't actually change anything.

ETA: This post is outdated, as things have changed since then. I still think it's handled terribly given how important the early H scenes are in establishing the tone of a game, and having H scenes punish the player is bad AVN game/story design.

Last edited:

McGreed

Apr 17, 2019
Not gonna lie, I have somewhat mixed feelings about this game, but very intriguing and unique setting hooked me up. I will definitely keep an eye on this project.

Reactions: Tavi13

mordred93

Jul 21, 2017
One more thing, since I was just playing through that sequence again to confirm the variables were being set like I suspected they were.

Mina's story really was one of the first things that clued me in just how fucked up this game is compared to Now & Then, and was the driving factor for me dropping my patronage for ILS.

Literally the ONLY possible outcomes of Mina's story are all negative.

All H scenes with her are negative choices.

There's a big bullshit warning for a choice that doesn't actually change anything.
Condensing your last 3 posts into one response. While your review of the code is spot on (I mean you cannot refute code and logic). I will say that you are attributing the names of the variables is coloring your viewpoint. The code basically says Mina disappears - which could also meaning ghosting you - not necessarily disappearing from the game/world, but from your for 10 in game days (as the variables are set). Since it is not written, we don't know the resolution. There is no verbiage in the game that states she is gone forever. This dev typically does not leave loose ends, which makes me think that there is more to come.

Again - my point was simple - while it says "disappear" as the variable, we don't know until the dev resolves it. Anything else is speculation.

Tiur

Nov 13, 2021
Condensing your last 3 posts into one response. While your review of the code is spot on (I mean you cannot refute code and logic). I will say that you are attributing the names of the variables is coloring your viewpoint. The code basically says Mina disappears - which could also meaning ghosting you - not necessarily disappearing from the game/world, but from your for 10 in game days (as the variables are set). Since it is not written, we don't know the resolution. There is no verbiage in the game that states she is gone forever. This dev typically does not leave loose ends, which makes me think that there is more to come.

Again - my point was simple - while it says "disappear" as the variable, we don't know until the dev resolves it. Anything else is speculation.
Then the dev needed to make it clearer, or write Mina's story better, without the unrelenting negativity around it (that the other stories don't do anything to mitigate, since they're all so disconnected from each other).

I'll reiterate what I said to Kinderfeld in my departure Patreon message: For many people, Mina is one of the first characters to have anything like a connection with. If you scroll up a bit here, most times people mention their top three characters, Mina features in that list (because she's the only character you couild have any H scenes with until Chapter 6, and that's assuming you don't get fucked out of Kaitlin or Tina's Chapter 6 scenes by the idiotic decision to gate story arbitrarily behind the stupid disconnected sandbox mechanic).

Side note: the limitations on the sandbox mechanic are so artificial and pointless that Lightman was able to completely circumvent that limitation in his mod with just a couple small sections of code that give you 2 more options at the end of each of Chapters 4 and 5. Personally, I feel the game would be demonstrably better with fixed story progression between the girls and the actual inclusion of all the Elsewhere and Other People scenes so there's no arbitrary chance of not getting those scenes. Even with the extra 3 Elsewhere scenes and 4 choice scenes from Lightman's mod, the only way I was able to see all scenes for my placeholder save was by skipping Mina 4 for now.

I will bring this back to what I've said before about this game and above, and which other people's negative responses have echoed: this game's biggest problem is disconnection. The writing is intentionally playing with disconnection, but it's gone way overboard with it. The sandbox mechanic introduces more disconnection, and for many people, Mina's story is the first one where the MC has any connection at all, so people are going to grab at that story. So to handle that character so ham-handedly that the only H scenes in the game until potentially Chapter 6 are bad choices? It's bad. He's actively encouraging us to assume Mina is gone for good.
If the dev didn't want this assumption to be made, he shouldn't have done everything he could to encourage that assumption.

Chapter 6 finally introduces something other than unhappy people being unhappy, with positive interactions finally possible (assuming the arbitrary nature of the pointless sandbox element doesn't prevent you from seeing them) with some of the girls. Robin's still extremely closed-off at the end of her current story, Roe's very clearly going to be the slowest burn of glacially slow burns, Marisa is written to be cold and distant enough that she's very likely most people's losing girl in the sandbox decisions, and Tina is written hostile and aggressive in her early interactions, so she's probably the second on that list.

And lastly, on top of all of that, there's the scenes we literally can't avoid of Chira getting tortured.

So far, my judgement of this game as "unhappy people being unhappy" hasn't been shaken at all, and given the amount of content in the game so far, that's pretty depressing in and of itself.

Now & Then this isn't.

Last edited:

Tiur

Nov 13, 2021
The dev doesn't owe anything to anybody who digs into his code and makes assumptions based off their interpretation of what they find there.
You can get the same information other than the actual label name by trying the different branches yourself. I dug into the code to see if I was missing anything. I wasn't, it just much more strongly reinforced the assumption the dev is encouraging.

Beyond that, I never said the dev owed me anything. I was criticizing the writing as being unrelentingly depressing, and comparing it to the dev's previous game, which did not have that problem.

erkper

May 16, 2018
You can get the same information other than the actual label name by trying the different branches yourself. I dug into the code to see if I was missing anything. I wasn't, it just much more strongly reinforced the assumption the dev is encouraging.

Beyond that, I never said the dev owed me anything. I was criticizing the writing as being unrelentingly depressing, and comparing it to the dev's previous game, which did not have that problem.
Funny, there you go making massive assumptions again, not only about the dev's intentions but about how others must interpret what has or has not happened in the game. Because I played through Mina's routes multiple ways, multiple times, and I did not draw anything near the conclusions you did - and even you just said the code reinforced that assumption.
You said exactly the dev owes something - maybe not to you specifically - but you did:
Then the dev needed to ...

If the dev didn't want this assumption to be made, he shouldn't have...
You don't have to like the game, that's fine. It's also fine to say the game isn't at the same level as Now and Then. I agree, it's not. Then again, after N&T just about any game Kinderfeld put out was bound to be seen as a step down. But Kinderfeld doesn't owe you anything based on your assumptions.

mordred93

Jul 21, 2017
I am going to just say this and leave it at that:
  1. You are entitled to your opinions and theoretical thoughts. There are alternate ways to view those thoughts about how things are coded.
  2. The only reason why there is a mechanic at the moment for more content than what is created is because the dev had extra scenes in their month long dev cycle, and decided to add it to the game than leave it on a shelf for another release so there was another release down the road. Ie. to give more content to people to play.
  3. I personally would not have made the choice to add the extra content so you "have to choose" the content. Gamers want all the content and there has been so much bitching on here about it, I personally would have changed the game so there was an extra day to see all the content.
  4. There is even more content ATM - as the days you dont see anyone, there is stuff going on around the realm.
  5. Finally the game is not done yet. We don't know what is going to happen. It is still being written. If the dev decides to burn off Mina because of the events that transpired, then yes, your thoughts are justified. If the dev does something else, then all this discourse is moot.

Last edited:

LinusMundane

Jun 30, 2022
Now and Then is probably the best written game on this site
I have to keep reminding myself it's completed. I do this thing where if a game is still early to midway through in development, I constantly have to get up and walk away because it draws out my time with it. I'm on like chapter 4 or 5 in N&T and even though its finished, I still seem to do this. I need to just sit down and enjoy the remaining majority of this game.

I wont start this game until after i finish N&T and maybe even wait an update or two past that. I love the way some dev's grow as the story continues and sometimes that takes a lot of patience. Really enjoying the dev's work so far though.

Reactions: TheDick69+

Jnx

Jun 6, 2017
I have to keep reminding myself it's completed. I do this thing where if a game is still early to midway through in development, I constantly have to get up and walk away because it draws out my time with it. I'm on like chapter 4 or 5 in N&T and even though its finished, I still seem to do this. I need to just sit down and enjoy the remaining majority of this game.

I wont start this game until after i finish N&T and maybe even wait an update or two past that. I love the way some dev's grow as the story continues and sometimes that takes a lot of patience. Really enjoying the dev's work so far though.
LUCKILY they have nothing to do with each other.
This dev doesn't do that stupid bullshit where they keep over developing the same game or making an unneeded or forced sequel that is actual garbage to milk patreon.

binglebangles

Apr 29, 2020
I stuck to mostly the 'elsewhere' option (I did not expect it to go well or be the optimal choice but I was feeling froggy). Honestly, I was having to take constant breaks from the game as I found it tiresome. So I've completed the update and found myself back at the title screen, having minimal contact with the cast of the game (completely locked gallery) and at least one continuity issue as stated in a previous post (MC's inner dialog while in the shower).

I'm glad I opted to not install any mod yet or I wouldn't have found myself in this interesting situation.

I imagine it'll ramp up and be interesting at some point, and judging from previous posts, there's some likable characters, so if I muster the energy, I'll give it a more honest go and see how it fairs.

K18

Apr 19, 2018
TheInterimDomain Update Banner copy.jpg
TheInterimDomain Sample Pic 1.jpg TheInterimDomain Sample Pic 2.jpg

Here we are, already deep in the development of 0.07.0. I always like to joke that we jump right back in after the last release came out, but this time, we didn't even wait that long. Two of the scenes were already partially done ahead of time. In fact, I have another four sitting in storage until we hit the specific points in those girls' stories.

Since it's come up a lot in recent conversations, Mina's story should be considered an outlier and not how every tale plays out. I like to think of her as a tutorial: a condensed side-story to set the stakes for the main stories. She and a couple other characters (Chira and two others to come) are a secondary tier to provide smaller arcs for the player to complete. With the main love interests, you'll have lengthy tales covering the entire development of the game where, as long as you maintain like/love points, you won't have to worry about them turning into a Remnant. Of course, that doesn't mean we don't already have one or two of those fail states in the game already. Honestly, the bar to clear for the main girls is so low, you have to make an attempt to trip over it.

As I've mentioned on the (because you can actually hide spoilers there), there are different levels of how characters are presented in TID, and how they can be interacted with, allowing for the possibility of surprises from the third and fourth tiers. So, I know it's early, but we do have plans with so many of the cast that had to be introduced now so that your time with them has meaning later on.

Thanks for your interest and patronage,
-Kinderfeld

K18

Apr 19, 2018
TheInterimDomain Update Banner copy.jpg
TheInterimDomain Sample Pic 1.jpg TheInterimDomain Sample Pic 2.jpg

(OCT 4, 2022)
As you've probably seen before, by the time we hit update number two for a build, we're pretty far along in the development cycle. There's a playable alpha that doesn't have any of the audio coded into it and we're still adding in relationship flags as we test and rewrite the script. All of the principle photography and animations are done. At this point, we're already looking towards scenes and plot arcs coming in future updates, including a couple of big reveals looming on the horizon.

Also, we're considering some feedback about a certain character's arc, who AGAIN is more popular then we would've expected. This is getting to be pattern now.

In terms of Now & Then, we're still plugging away. Right now, we're working through Chapters 21 and 22, neither of which will have too much in the way of new content. Maybe extending a scene or two here and there. There's been some cleanup of the script where the thoughts of certain characters weren't properly color-coded. At this point, most of the remaining new content is jammed into the last few chapters and the Endings. Which means that a lot of work's gonna happen when we hit that point. Luckily, I feel that the user interface and quality of life updates are all pretty close to final, so it's mostly just expanding content now.

As was teased on Twitter a while back, here is the new main menu splash for the upcoming release.
screenshot0001 copy.jpg

Thanks for your interest and patronage,
-Kinderfeld

3.80 star(s) 38 Votes