VN Ren'Py Abandoned The Intoxicating Flavor [v0.10.6] [PixelsLab]

4.00 star(s) 151 Votes

Alfius

Engaged Member
Modder
Sep 30, 2017
Well This story has been very confusing for me for a while...enjoyable, but confusing.

The last couple of updates explained a LOT of shit.

Now I'm fully onboard both stories...dream world and the real world. Our Little Alice...I wonder what all that is about.

Katie:love: seems to be the only normal (ignorant) person in this story. I love her the most, but obviously Liv is the love of his life...but why...

Last edited:

MTZ32

Dec 13, 2019
Yes, but it didn't work either; I already repeated the whole game, is not the end of the world either, thanks, I just wanted to clarify that not all the old saved worked...

Glooskabe

Jan 4, 2020
Yes, but it didn't work either; I already repeated the whole game, is not the end of the world either, thanks, I just wanted to clarify that not all the old saved worked...
If you are using a save from one of the modified scripts, they usually don't work with the official script. Not sure what voodoo is involved, but that is a consequence of using the edited script. You need to use a savefile made from PL's official distribution.

Last edited:

Spfjolietjake

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 26, 2019
Omg grrrrr... this story has me and a perfect place to end this update cause I was so sucked in I actually cursed out loud when the update (5.2) ended.

Reactions: Repuci

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
If you are using a save from one of the modified scripts, they usually don't work with the official script. Not sure what voodoo is involved, but that is a consequence of using the edited script. You need to use a savefile made from PL's official distribution.
Voodoo would be making saves between heavy mods and original games interchangeable. Just saying... :rolleyes:

A modder could make his mod saves work in the original game if he wants to do so, but expecting the original author to make his game compatible with mods (that he probably isn't even aware of) would be nuts.

Last edited:

Glooskabe

Jan 4, 2020
Voodoo would be making saves between heavy mods and original games interchangeable. Just saying... :rolleyes:

A modder could make his mod saves work in the original game if he wants to do so, but expecting the original author to make his game compatible with mods (that he probably isn't even aware of) would be nuts.
I wasn't suggesting anything of the sort. I was just suggesting a reason why the OP might be having a problem with his saves in the current update since I haven't heard about others having similar problems.

BTW, the modified scripts I was referring to didn't really "mod" the game at all. They were edited to (mostly) improve grammar issues.

Edit: Oh, I see. I didn't quote a previous message in my reply so you didn't see the context of the conversation. My bad.

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
I wasn't suggesting anything of the sort. I was just suggesting a reason why the OP might be having a problem with his saves in the current update since I haven't heard about others having similar problems.

BTW, the modified scripts I was referring to didn't really "mod" the game at all. They were edited to (mostly) improve grammar issues.

Edit: Oh, I see. I didn't quote a previous message in my reply so you didn't see the context of the conversation. My bad.
I was complementing your message, not arguing against it. Pretty much any change in the original game script that changes anything other than displayable text strings is a "heavy" mod that has a potential to break compatibility with old saves. At least some of them.
RenPy saves
https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/save_load_rollback.html said:
  • The current statement, and all statements that can be returned to.
  • The images and displayables that are being shown.
  • The screens being shown, and the values of variables within those screens.
  • The music that Ren'Py is playing.
  • The list of nvl-mode text blocks.
In case those things are modified around the area a save file has been created previously, at least that save file won't work with the modified version any more.
The more changes are made, the more broken save files you'll have.
And if save files are created while playing some modified version of the game, the original game becomes the "mod" these save files won't work with any more.

Fixing grammar inside the text strings is not something that should break compatibility with old saves, but I assumed you to be talking about some cheat mods or walkthrough mods or some other mods that modify the script.

Reactions: Glooskabe

Glooskabe

Jan 4, 2020
Fixing grammar inside the text strings is not something that should break compatibility with old saves, but I assumed you to be talking about some cheat mods or walkthrough mods or some other mods that modify the script.
Yeah, I didn't think so, but it usually does. The only thing I can think of that might be a problem is if I inadvertently type over an ending quotation mark or something like that... One of these days I'm gonna do a deep dive into figuring out exactly how RenPy works "under the hood".

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
Well, quotes inside the script are important part of the syntax. If you remove an ending quote, it usually means to the interpreter that all the following code is a part of the string - until it encounters the next quote character or, depending on the interpreter, only until the end of line.

Ren'Py seems to honor EOL's (even if a line of code contains opening tags without the end tag, Ren'Py seems to ignore the missing end tag after the line break), so it won't fuck up much of the code. I'm not sure about the quotes, though.
In some other languages however, a missing quote can kill your code completely.

PhoenixRage23

May 24, 2020
I have to say this is one of the best VN's that I've played in a long time. But the ending
getting cut off about the big secret actually made me yell at my computer. I admit I used
a few four letter words from my frustration. But I get why the dev did that. You get engrossed
with the overall story of the game and get a good picture of the characters in the game.
It's nice it's not another incest game with the same cookie cutter models and storyline.
This is definitely a game I can support financially.

4.00 star(s) 151 Votes