VN Ren'Py Abandoned The Intoxicating Flavor [v0.10.6] [PixelsLab]

4.00 star(s) 151 Votes

xCalon

Mar 15, 2023
Hi PixelsLab!

When I read your post, I became sad. The Intoxicating Flavor is one of my favorites precisely because it is clearly different from the other AVN's. I am very picky, and if one AVN doesn't pique my interest, then I drop it, and forget it for good.

I have to fully agree with Maviarab, you have invested too much into TIF, to just throw it away. Suspend it, freeze it or put on hold, but don't close the game permanently. Steam's decision is hilarious, but the main question is, GOG.com could not be an alternative? There are AVNs like Being a DIK or Lust Theory that are also available on that platform.

All in all this is just my opinion, and whatever you decide in the end, take care of yourself, and good luck.

EricGrey

Nov 11, 2020

Hey, everyone.

I won't take too long. I got a rejection from Steam.
I'm sorry that this is happening to you. I only just recently came across this game/VN and was excited to see more. However, you must take care of yourself first. Please do so, and get well.

I wish you all the best and hope your future is bright, in whatever form it takes.

• Red Heart
Reactions: PixelsLab

Black Orchid

Sep 3, 2022
Release of the game dates back to May 8th 2018. The game has been in development for over 2,004 days, counting from the first release to the last. In that span of time counting all the changelogs, the total amount of images comes up to about ~5546 images, that's only 2.77 images per day. When met with criticism about the lenght of the updates, which directly correlates with the number of images per updates, this is how you chose to respond:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
How mature right? Your game has over 3.9M views which makes it top 282 viewed game on the entire website, in other words your game is in about top 1.7% out of all the games F95 has to offer. I don't understand how can you ask and I quote "Would you like to discuss the reason why TIF never became popular?". Perhaps you should own up to the fact that maybe you didn't do enough, cause as I see it, you were sitting on a gem and decided to do the bare minimum.

squares

Mar 27, 2019
Release of the game dates back to May 8th 2018. The game has been in development for over 2,004 days, counting from the first release to the last. In that span of time counting all the changelogs, the total amount of images comes up to about ~5546 images, that's only 2.77 images per day. When met with criticism about the lenght of the updates, which directly correlates with the number of images per updates, this is how you chose to respond:
How mature right? Your game has over 3.9M views which makes it top 282 viewed game on the entire website, in other words your game is in about top 1.7% out of all the games F95 has to offer. I don't understand how can you ask and I quote "Would you like to discuss the reason why TIF never became popular?". Perhaps you should own up to the fact that maybe you didn't do enough, cause as I see it, you were sitting on a gem and decided to do the bare minimum.
You do have a point about dev attitude, but I don't think it had much of impact on financial side, since we, well, you know, on a forum delegated to a pirating stuff. And from what I briefly read here and on his Patreon page, PixelsLab was open about his issues with development and why things happening as they happening. Maybe I am wrong here, though, I don't follow that stuff much. Still, there are games here with less updates and worse/cliché storyline or lazy writing and cringe dialogues (in my opinion, I understand it is subjective, PhillyGames works as an example), or in sudden need of 1440p 60fps rework, but they still make a good $ for some reason. People will always complain about slow development progression, no matter what devs say. Every thread has them. I also don't thing there is anything niche about TIF. Give it a rest, let a guy get back on his feet.

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
I don't understand how can you ask and I quote "Would you like to discuss the reason why TIF never became popular?".
well if 0.1% of those views would accumulate to supporters on patreon then on lowest tier then there wouldn't be problem.

on other side of coin scammers get thousands of bucks w/o doing anything.

Black Orchid

Sep 3, 2022
You do have a point about dev attitude, but I don't think it had much of impact on financial side, since we, well, you know, on a forum delegated to a pirating stuff.
I don't think you realize how much pull you can get from F95 alone, Moonbox developer of Grandma's House (arguably one of the biggest adult games) posted his game on F95 first, before there was any way of supporting him financially. By the time he made a account on a website in which you could do that, his game had well over 3000+ renders. When your game gets this much attention, the ball is in your court and only you can decide how you play it.

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
I don't think you realize how much pull you can get from F95 alone, Moonbox developer of Grandma's House (arguably one of the biggest adult games) posted his game on F95 first, before there was any way of supporting him financially. By the time he made a account on a website in which you could do that, his game had well over 3000+ renders. When your game gets this much attention, the ball is in your court and only you can decide how you play it.
that was then, nowadays there are lots of games per 10 fingers.

Nov 6, 2023
Did you miss the part about the dev being seriously ill, and having his access to banking cut off due to war?

That question was to his paying supporters. He merely copy/pasted the entire message here.

A bit ironic that you're questioning his maturity when your comments don't seem emotionally well-regulated (or productive) to me.

Black Orchid

Sep 3, 2022
Did you miss the part about the dev being seriously ill, and having his access to banking cut off due to war?

That question was to his paying supporters. He merely copy/pasted the entire message here.

A bit ironic that you're questioning his maturity when your comments don't seem emotionally well-regulated (or productive) to me.
The patreon post was public. The game has been in development for over 5 years, the track record of updates has been awful since it's very inception. Everything I said was factual. If he was working on this game full time it would make it even funnier considering how little his work loud would've equated to over the years.

Ottoeight

Forum Fanatic
Mar 13, 2021

I'm just wondering: when did you start following this game's development?

I think everyone who has been playing this game since its very first update - more than 5 years ago - has every fucking damn right to be sad.

The more the story has been drawing near its end - it's crystal clear to everyone that the end was going to be a final confrontation between MC, Alice, Eve and Inanna on the island - the more the updates have been shorter and more and more less frequent.

And now that we were going to finally see Eve reaching the island we got an embarassing badly written flashback (that could have been easily avoided by a simple and short scene on the beach where Alice simply tells MC what happened). After more than 8 months without updates. Then this announcement.

WTF dude.

Anyway, I'm not upset: I've been here on F95 since 2017 and I'm fully aware of how things are going and how they always went.

PixelsLab

Game Developer
Mar 17, 2018
Man! It's a shame that the first person to have to respond on the forum after the game closes is a hater, but so be it.
That's very handy math you've got there.
There are 6493 renders in the game right now. I've redone over a thousand more of them. And now remember that for the first 2 and a half years I sat on a GTX 770 and rendered one image for 2+ hours. And you remember that the game has custom animations, which are made 2-3 days and rendered for a week each. And in this time it is not possible to make a new render. Now subtract 3 months of break. Subtract the recovery time from the surgery I had 3 years ago. How many renders a day do you get now?
And now for the real question? Why are you defining the amount of effort and time you put in by the number of images? The process of releasing an update is much more than just making a few raiders. Write a dialog, make a render for it, add it all to the game code, edit the text in several stages (very often at this stage I rewrite a lot of things) to make it easier to read, send the Russian text for proofreading, send it for translation, adding a lot of notes for the translator, after checking the translation, if the translator did not mess something up, after sending the translated text for proofreading, and after that to build a build of the game, make a separate build for Android, upload this all on file-sharing, prepare posts with links, and pray that something is not broken. And this is all done by me. Alone. I literally only have help with translation and final text checking. And don't forget I have to maintain pages on Patreon, Boosty, SS and Discord server.
So I don't understand what the number of renders has to do with it. I spend most of my time writing and editing dialog. If I only did rendering, I could do 20-30 pieces a day. And I'm talking about my level. If I do renders like most developers do, I can do 50+. It's not hard at all.
So don't try to belittle my hard work. I may have the wrong approach to development to make a game popular, but don't you dare say I don't work hard enough.

PixelsLab

Game Developer
Mar 17, 2018
The more the story has been drawing near its end - it's crystal clear to everyone that the end was going to be a final confrontation between MC, Alice, Eve and Inanna on the island - the more the updates have been shorter and more and more less frequent.
Is this really how it was supposed to end? Oh, man! Then why don't you write the ending for me? Because I've got a whole other plan.
And now that we were going to finally see Eve reaching the island we got an embarassing badly written flashback (that could have been easily avoided by a simple and short scene on the beach where Alice simply tells MC what happened).
Have you heard the "show, don't tell" rule?
That's the problem. I'm trying to do the right thing when most people just don't need to. Why show one of the most important moments in the lives of three main characters? I mean, you can have one of them just talk about it in a nutshell. And I worked so fucking hard on that flashback! 2 complete rewrites to make it look as good and logical as possible. But it's a great illustration of how wrong my approach to games is.

riddikk91

Apr 22, 2017
Man! It's a shame that the first person to have to respond on the forum after the game closes is a hater, but so be it.
That's very handy math you've got there.
There are 6493 renders in the game right now. I've redone over a thousand more of them. And now remember that for the first 2 and a half years I sat on a GTX 770 and rendered one image for 2+ hours. And you remember that the game has custom animations, which are made 2-3 days and rendered for a week each. And in this time it is not possible to make a new render. Now subtract 3 months of break. Subtract the recovery time from the surgery I had 3 years ago. How many renders a day do you get now?
And now for the real question? Why are you defining the amount of effort and time you put in by the number of images? The process of releasing an update is much more than just making a few raiders. Write a dialog, make a render for it, add it all to the game code, edit the text in several stages (very often at this stage I rewrite a lot of things) to make it easier to read, send the Russian text for proofreading, send it for translation, adding a lot of notes for the translator, after checking the translation, if the translator did not mess something up, after sending the translated text for proofreading, and after that to build a build of the game, make a separate build for Android, upload this all on file-sharing, prepare posts with links, and pray that something is not broken. And this is all done by me. Alone. I literally only have help with translation and final text checking. And don't forget I have to maintain pages on Patreon, Boosty, SS and Discord server.
So I don't understand what the number of renders has to do with it. I spend most of my time writing and editing dialog. If I only did rendering, I could do 20-30 pieces a day. And I'm talking about my level. If I do renders like most developers do, I can do 50+. It's not hard at all.
So don't try to belittle my hard work. I may have the wrong approach to development to make a game popular, but don't you dare say I don't work hard enough.
Hi PixelsLab... sorry to hear about your situation & I hope you are able to find your "happy place" once again.

With regard to the trolls, there's a wonderful feature on this website called 'ignore'... it's one of my favorites for blocking out the 'armchair experts of game production' that wouldn't know their arse from their elbow about creating a game!!! Give it a whirl mate - it makes the F95 experience so much more enjoyable!! Hehehe!!

My only complaint about the game is that I can't just bang Katie 24/7... :devilish: ... other than that, I've really enjoyed it & can only hope that someday you feel like resuming it. All the best!

Last edited:

Master of Puppets

Conversation Conqueror
Oct 5, 2017
View attachment 3130665

Hey, everyone.

I won't take too long. I got a rejection from Steam.

I knew from the very beginning that it would be like this. It was pretty obvious that Steam wouldn't like Alice, and they decided to reinsure themselves. It's still very frustrating though.

The reply from Steam came over a week ago, and all this time I've been trying to finally decide what to do next.

I've already mentioned my situation in the last post, now I'll try to explain it in more detail, telling you what happened to me for the last year and a half. But before I do that, I'll make it clear that I'm not writing this to make you feel sorry for me, but to explain why I have to close the game.

About the finances.

After I took a break last February and froze the page for 3 months to regain some health and nerves, I lost about 45% of my support. That's when I decided not to complain about life, and just keep doing what I can to keep the game alive. That's why I hardly wrote any personal posts like I used to do. And every month after that, the support on Patreon dropped harder and harder. I had small savings, and I could live on them. But gradually they started to run out too.

Then, in November 2022, Payoneer, the payment system I used to withdraw funds from Patreon, announced that it was closing all accounts for Russians. And I then asked those of you who had the opportunity to subscribe for a year, so that I could have at least some reserves. And a lot of people responded. Thank you very much again! I then raised $2,489, which I stretched over the course of 6 months. Obviously, I wasn't doing so well, so I started borrowing from people I knew and doing part-time work to keep afloat somehow.

In June, I traveled to another country to open an account there and withdraw my Patreon savings. I had to travel three times before I could receive them. As you can imagine, traveling to another country is not cheap, and to save money, I decided to take the bus. And that turned out to be a big problem because of my back. 17 hours straight one way on a bus with a sore spine is hell. It's been five months and I still haven't recovered from those trips. I withdrew $3,287 dollars from Patreon back then - that's what I had accumulated in a little over 6 months. Which would have been a good amount, but I was already in quite a bit of debt at the time, and I gave away most of that money almost immediately. And don't forget that to get that money, I had to travel to another country 3 times, pay for the trips themselves and the hotel. Now I have 2900 dollars saved up on Patreon again, which will barely cover my current debts accumulated over the last 5 months.

I realize a lot of you math doesn't add up, but this weird stuff from Patreon. Right now it says on the home page that I have $739 in support, but I'm very lucky if I raise that amount. More often than not, I raise $100 less. I never figured out how this counter works in so many years.

Anyway, that's all I wanted to say about finances. Once again, I'll make it clear that this is not an attempt to make you feel sorry for me, I'm just trying to tell you about my situation in life. If you felt sorry for me and decided to support me after this, you should be very wrong. I'm just a guy on the internet, and my situation is far from the worst. There are millions of people in the world with much worse problems, help them better. Also, don't forget that the holidays are coming up and you'll need to buy gifts for your loved ones. And I'll pay off my debts myself, since I've already found a job. But I am still very grateful to you for helping me for so long!

About health.

In fact, that's the main reason I gave up. Because I feel worse and worse.

As I've shared before, I took a break for three months in February 2022. And it really helped me! I felt normal for over a year, hardly ever thinking about my back. But after the 3 trips mentioned, it got worse than ever. Especially after the last one, when the bus got stuck at the border and instead of 17 hours, I sat on the bus for 28. That totally messed me up, and I still haven't recovered even though it's been over 5 months.

In September I had a very severe attack and for 2 weeks I basically couldn't work, couldn't sit, lie down or stand normally. I was in a lot of pain and no painkillers helped. That being said, I went to doctors, got massages, had a bunch of shots and lay under IVs with painkillers. It was because of this that I was not able to get the October update out in time. And now every day I'm afraid that I can break down again and go down for a couple more weeks, or possibly forever.

It was after the October update that I decided to close the game. I realized that with my health, I wouldn't be able to release even short updates every month. And if I don't release updates every month, support goes down a lot.

About motivation.

As you realize, it's hard to develop a game with these inputs. It's hard to come up with dialogs, jokes and other things when you're struggling with your own health and financial problems. And the motivation is getting weaker and weaker every day.

Also, of course, it's frustrating when you look at some new game that in the first 2 months gathers as much support as I've been gathering for 3-4 years. That's a lot of pressure. And I can't even understand why it's not like that for me. I mean, I really tried. I tried on every word, render, animation and everything, everything, everything. Is it just luck? Or is my game that much worse? I know it sounds pathetic, but it still hurts.

About Steam.

I'd like to add a few words about Steam. I've already said I was sure about the rejection, but some developers I knew and just friends urged me to try releasing the game there, as it could bring in enough for me to finish the game without worrying about money. That was one of the reasons why I started reworking the first chapters. But unfortunately, what happened is what happened. It's hard to blame Steam, since the fact that it releases adult games at all is already surprising. But it's so fucking frustrating!

Actually, the most annoying thing about this whole situation, in my opinion, is that the game has enough content for a fully finished game. About 200,000 words! That's more than in two full-fledged novels. Over 6 thousand images! Most of which are well done. Cool animations. Yes there aren't many, but they're good. So good, in fact, that several developers have offered to let me do animations for their games for money.

Now that I think about it, I'm really surprised at what a gigantic job I did. And how frustrated I am that I never got around to finishing it....

Oh, okay. Stop feeling sorry for myself, I already look like a whiner after this post. Let's summarize.

Bottom line.

I have neither the health nor the financial ability to continue The Intoxicating Flavor. Therefore, I am permanently closing the game.

I am very sorry. I apologize to you for not being able to bring the story to the promised end.

I have already taken an official job. I contacted a former boss of mine who we worked well with for many years, and he offered me a position with him. It seems to pay a good salary. Now I need to work at least six months to get back on my feet, pay off my debts and make at least some savings. But what will I do after that?

I really want to keep making games. I think I have pretty good skills for that right now. At least I have a good renderer, and the animations are getting better and better every time. I'm not so sure about my skills as a screenwriter anymore though. TIF was too unpopular... But, I still have hope to make an interesting game.

I originally wanted to remove the pages on Patreon, Boosty, Subscribestar and all social media related to the game, as well as the Discord server. To completely disappear as PixelsLab. After all, even if I decide to create a new game, I'll still have the shadow of an unfinished project on me. But on the other hand, I've heard so many words of support in the last two weeks that I just don't want to part with you. Besides, many of you have become, if not friends, then at least good acquaintances whose opinions are interesting to listen to.

So there's no way I can decide how I should proceed. I'm still leaning towards closing the page, since even if I start a new project, it will be very different from TIF. But for now, I've decided to freeze the page until the new year so Patreon doesn't charge you, and closer to the end of December I'll either extend the freeze or delete the page for good.

Unfortunately, there is no way to freeze the page on Boosty and Subscribestar. So you'll have to unsubscribe on your own. Anyway, at the end of December I will remove the support levels on these sites so that those who forget to unsubscribe will not be charged.

Also on Patreon you can request a refund for the last month. If that doesn't work, write me and I'll try to do it on my end.
And I want to apologize to you again. I'm very sorry for letting you down like that. And thank you more for being with me these years! You gave me a chance to do something new and unusual for myself! I wish I could have taken that chance to the fullest.

P.S. Would you like to discuss the reason why TIF never became popular? I'd really like to hear your opinion. I wanted to write a separate post about it myself, but more than anything I want to hear an outside opinion. I'm very interested.
It sucks that Steam did that, though we shouldn't be surprised at tech companies not following their own rules. More so it sucks that Patreon screwed you over. I don't really understand the talk of starting a new game though, when you're able to find time to work on games again wouldn't it make more sense to continue with this one? Even if it comes slower, I'm sure that everyone would like to see the rest of it.

PixelsLab

Game Developer
Mar 17, 2018
It sucks that Steam did that, though we shouldn't be surprised at tech companies not following their own rules. More so it sucks that Patreon screwed you over. I don't really understand the talk of starting a new game though, when you're able to find time to work on games again wouldn't it make more sense to continue with this one? Even if it comes slower, I'm sure that everyone would like to see the rest of it.
First, I have to thank you for making the time to write your reaction to updates. It's always been very helpful! Thank you!
I really want to continue this game, but right now I'm all about my work. I won't be able to make the game after work. I'm just not healthy enough. That's why I had to close the game.
Why do I want to start make a new game? A lot of reasons. But the main one is that I want to try a different approach to development. TIF has a problem - the story is very rigid and I just can't step away from it. I can change something within a scene, rewrite dialog, but I can't change the story itself or it'll break. Plus, there's a certain intangible standard of quality that I've set for myself, and I don't want to go any lower. And I'd like to experiment with the workflow. To make it easier for myself, to reduce control, to speed up the development process. But I don't want to experiment with a game that I've invested so much effort and life into, so I want to try some new "easy" game.
I'm not an idiot and I realize that small updates only annoy everyone. That everyone wants more. The critic above says that I work very slowly, and gives another game as an example. I know, I can do a bunch of renders every month too. But to do that, you have to let go of some processes, and delegate some of the work to other people. So it would be a completely different approach to work for me. And I don't want to risk what I've created for TIF.
I didn't want to share this yet, but the point of my idea is to make a new small game. Work through the workflow on it. Release that game and then think about what to do with the TIF. And even if the page is closed, I can always start it again. The game hasn't disappeared. I have all the source.
But it should be made clear, everything I have said is a theory. Right now, the facts are these. TIF is closed. And to do what I wrote, you need a lot of money - hire a programmer, a professional editor, buy music for the game, new female voices would be nice, build a second separate computer for rendering. It's all very expensive. And right now, while working, I'm trying to save up for it. I don't know how things will go or if I'll succeed. But I know one thing, I still want to make games. I still dream of becoming a real developer. And yes, I still want to finish TIF. Maybe not today, but tomorrow.

Sweet Force

May 18, 2017
Hello PixelsLab, I don't know if you'll read it but I wanted to write this because I've had it in my head since I saw your last news, first of all I wanted to say that I'm very sorry that Steam rejected your game, and that it was the last blow for you to decide to give a step aside with TIF.
On the other hand, I find comfort in that you got another job, I hope that your life takes a more favorable course for you from now on.

I played TIF from the first version, it was even my first review on this page, the first time I felt the need to tell a developer "I really like what you do", obviously team Katie forever, thanks for all the content she obtained in these years.

I want to clarify that it is not my intention to discredit your work or speak as if I were in charge, I would have obtained better monetary results, I do it from a friendly point of view, you asked for opinions on why other older or newer developers had more success with their visual novels. .
I consider myself someone who, although I don't comment much on the forum, has probably played most of the visual novels with 3dcg in the last 5 years and I think I know the patterns of the most successful games currently on the forum, maybe this will help you if you plan in the future make another visual novel.

The first thing I notice with TIF is a conflict of objectives. On the one hand you want to tell a great story through a VN (something very brave if it is your first VN) and on the other hand you want to earn enough to live off that VN.
I don't know if it is allowed to name other VNs here so I prefer to use movies as an example, you made a science fiction story, 3 hours long and where the first hours are character development and dialogue, while another person made a bluckbuster whose objective It was only about making money from the public, where in the first 20 minutes of the movie there were explosions and action that covered the entire screen, simple characters, quick presentation, cliché plot.
Nowadays, that bluckbuster movie will always be the most viewed and the most profitable.
In recent years, several visual novels have appeared that go down that path, they are a lot of sexual scenes connected with a simple story, TIF is the opposite, a story with a great narrative where the axis was always the mystery of how the plot would advance, but which also had sexual content.

I also consider the idea of making a rework of the first chapters unfortunate (it's something that is very common now and you can count on one hand the reworks that worked, usually a rework make people angry), and although "Show, don't tell" is a useful narrative technique, i don't think it was the time, you had released an update where Alice finally grew, improving her model in my opinion, and while in each update i expected to see how her family was going to react to her new appearance, or what faces they would make when they saw her, you made the decision to do a flashback, those decisions instead of bringing in a new audience, what it did was that the people who followed you and perhaps thought like me, would stop subscribing every month.

Perhaps an option would have been not to create such an ambitious and long story, something shorter and with a conclusion would have given you a more loyal fan base, because they know that you are a person capable of finishing a VN, which is something that very few developers do. With that fanbase, you would be able to start a project with more narrative and that moves more slowly. I could say more points than others monetarily successful games have and TIF doesn't, but maybe it's too much text for someone whose native language is not English.

Thank you for having acted with the best intentions to finish TIF, I would have liked to know if in the end the protagonist could have stayed with a woman, and how it was the end of the story, what happened after the first scene where we see him wounded, it is not even necessary to have the images, a text would help to close everything at least in peace.
Never say never, maybe now you feel frustrated and sad but the wounds heal and as they said in previous comments, this story that you created has already advanced enough to waste it and leave it unfinished, I'm not saying to continue it today or tomorrow, but you should never close door forever.

I wish you success and recognition in what you do from now on PixelLab!

4.00 star(s) 151 Votes