Ren'Py Abandoned The J-Files Episode 1: The Penny Conspiracy [v1.a] [L8eralGames]

4.20 star(s) 11 Votes
Nov 11, 2018
Is this the complete Episode 1? I'm getting confused. This dev is known for making completed games. It's bit odd to not see the completed tag here.

Canto Forte

Post Pro
Jul 10, 2017
yup...
Is this the complete Episode 1
Next time read the OP!!!
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Developer Notes:
SPOILER

The J-Files: The Penny Conspiracy is the first episode in an ongoing Kinetic Novel. Each episode should be fairly well-contained and lead into the next where new adventures await.

L8ERALgames

Game Developer
Apr 23, 2019
Hi Peeps,
I see the term "Kinetic Novel" has caused some confusion, and I apologise. I think what I was trying to convey is this is more of a story game than an RPG. I'm not good at this marketing thing.

This is definitely only Episode 1 and I think of the game as being like a TV Series. Each episode is fully contained and technically has an "end" (and possibly cliffhangers - oh, shock!).

I was soft on you in the multiple endings, and so the game doesn't boot you out, as those of you who've found an ending may have discovered. There are also several branching stories. Episode 2 may reveal a bit more how important your choices were, though if you play multiple play-throughs, you may find Penny's dialogue has changed due further into the game depending on your previous choices.

for Canto Forte , I 'm too ashamed to put myself into my games. :p

Again, sorry for the confusion with tags.

I hope you enjoy the story. :)

Regards,
L8eralJack

Galactophage

Sep 2, 2017
I'm completely stuck at the line "Alright, Jack. Spit it out. Tell her what you named your bear..." Nothing I do advances the screen from here.

SoberSphagghett

Sep 14, 2018
I hope you didn't mean to roast. Receding hairline is no joke. I have it, and I have more hairline than the MC.
Also, he's awkward as hell. Give the guy some self-confidence. his gaze is practically glued to boobs 90% of the pics and filled with guilt. Eyes over here, silly.

Reactions: L8ERALgames

L8ERALgames

Game Developer
Apr 23, 2019
I hope you didn't mean to roast. Receding hairline is no joke. I have it, and I have more hairline than the MC.
Also, he's awkward as hell. Give the guy some self-confidence. his gaze is practically glued to boobs 90% of the pics and filled with guilt. Eyes over here, silly.
okay, maybe i DID write some of myself in him...

• Haha
Reactions: Canto Forte

Moonis

Mar 18, 2019
Excellent start. Storyline was just like made for me. I've been lately delving into aliens theme again. I was believer in my teen years, then scene kinda died for a while in my country, but 2015 Juncker's claim to have spoken with alien leaders from other planets got me thinking and recent Joe Rogan podcasts with Commander Fraver and Bob Lazar, among few other things, got my interest rising again. Lately I've been reading books like Ed Komarek's UFOs, Exopolitics and the New World Disorder, John E. Brandenburg's Death on Mars - The Discovery of a Planetary Nuclear Massacre and Frank Joseph's Military Ecnounters with Extraterrestials and I got big pile of books waiting to be read, like John E. Mack's Passport to the Cosmos, Bruce and Daniella Fenton's Exogenesis - Hybrid Humans - a Scientific History of Extraterrestial genetic Manipulation and Ellis Silver's Humans are not from Earth - a scientific evaluation of the evidence... Before my renewed interest with aliens I've been researching for years all things like Atlantis, ancient giants and such (I didn't miss Hancock mention in the VN).

Not to mention that I got hots for alien girls since in my teen years when I read a case about argentinian farmer who claimed he was captured by humanoid woman who had sex with him :alien:
My body is ready, take me already damn you :D

And I dated with a 19 year old cutie for a while when I was 43 year old with starting receding hairline... I didn't get very far with her, so I hope our teacher MC has better luck with Penny. What comes to Penny, she was absolutely wonderful personality. Her looks weren't quite at the top but good enough. Aliens were hot, excellent work with them.

So, I loved the game. Instant rise into my top ten favourites, but it wasn't perfect. Sometimes it was hard to decide what to choose when those (too) long descriptions of the choices weren't clear which would lead into direction I'd want to go. And those scenes where our MC was lecturing at MUFON conference (or was it FUFON here?) distracted story flow badly.

Btw. I was nice homage to Battlestar Galactica that first alien girl used Viper fighter from that series in one picture (y)

L8ERALgames

Game Developer
Apr 23, 2019
Excellent start. Storyline was just like made for me. I've been lately delving into aliens theme again. I was believer in my teen years, then scene kinda died for a while in my country, but 2015 Juncker's claim to have spoken with alien leaders from other planets got me thinking and recent Joe Rogan podcasts with Commander Fraver and Bob Lazar, among few other things, got my interest rising again. Lately I've been reading books like Ed Komarek's UFOs, Exopolitics and the New World Disorder, John E. Brandenburg's Death on Mars - The Discovery of a Planetary Nuclear Massacre and Frank Joseph's Military Ecnounters with Extraterrestials and I got big pile of books waiting to be read, like John E. Mack's Passport to the Cosmos, Bruce and Daniella Fenton's Exogenesis - Hybrid Humans - a Scientific History of Extraterrestial genetic Manipulation and Ellis Silver's Humans are not from Earth - a scientific evaluation of the evidence... Before my renewed interest with aliens I've been researching for years all things like Atlantis, ancient giants and such (I didn't miss Hancock mention in the VN).

Not to mention that I got hots for alien girls since in my teen years when I read a case about argentinian farmer who claimed he was captured by humanoid woman who had sex with him :alien:
My body is ready, take me already damn you :D

And I dated with a 19 year old cutie for a while when I was 43 year old with starting receding hairline... I didn't get very far with her, so I hope our teacher MC has better luck with Penny. What comes to Penny, she was absolutely wonderful personality. Her looks weren't quite at the top but good enough. Aliens were hot, excellent work with them.

So, I loved the game. Instant rise into my top ten favourites, but it wasn't perfect. Sometimes it was hard to decide what to choose when those (too) long descriptions of the choices weren't clear which would lead into direction I'd want to go. And those scenes where our MC was lecturing at MUFON conference (or was it FUFON here?) distracted story flow badly.

Btw. I was nice homage to Battlestar Galactica that first alien girl used Viper fighter from that series in one picture (y)

Thanks :) I'm glad you liked it. I was going to get VERY involved in theories but thought it might irritate people off the bat. Expect more references to UFO theories in Ep 2, though. I love conspiracy theories (yah, the Hancock thing is amazing - I love his work a lot and always watch him on YouTube).

Aliens didn't come for me, either. :(

Couldn't help using the viper. The next panel (I think) was Warhammer. :D

• Yay, new update!
Reactions: Canto Forte

Deringhouse

Oct 9, 2018
Really digging the art style, can't wait for chapter 2! And imo a long read is not an issue as long as it is well written - which this one definitely is.

Reactions: ShamanLab

hrimthyrs

May 6, 2020
As I'm reading through and realizing I missed a couple of the references (how the hell did I miss that the title of the next episode is a riff on Search for Spock? :eek:) I'm suddenly curious if there's going to be a reference to our wacky comrades the Posadists.

Reactions: L8ERALgames

L8ERALgames

Game Developer
Apr 23, 2019
As I'm reading through and realizing I missed a couple of the references (how the hell did I miss that the title of the next episode is a riff on Search for Spock? :eek:) I'm suddenly curious if there's going to be a reference to our wacky comrades the Posadists.
woah, boy. posadists...

hmmm....

Reactions: hrimthyrs

blackcat6667

Oct 1, 2019
Just starting playing and I don't know if i'll like all the alien stuff, but from the start everything looks GREAT. The image quality, the models, the faces (really good compared to most titles), AND the writing. Thanks and good luck to the dev

whippetmaster

Oct 4, 2018
I've played this and I like this game. I'm waiting for the next episode with Bated breath.
*Quit crying, Norman! It's not my fault your mom's a tasty tart!* :BootyTime:

Just a thought for all of you - during the "gas station" interaction, I'm sure I counted no less than 5 pop culture references and easter eggs. How many do you think there are in that part of the story? Or even the other sections??
I think I found references to ... Dr Who, Men In Black, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Star Wars and Star Trek for starters

4.20 star(s) 11 Votes