May 14, 2020
"a bonus point" is a pretty dishonest way of describing something that's required for best results.
Have you not read what I said? It does not block branches is what I said.

Also talking about my statement being dishonest... You claim that in a lot of games where grinding is normal its totally not required and only for some "bonus boss" (no such thing if you want to complete a game) which is utter BS, most games that feature the option to grind actually want to you grind for a while and will adjust the enemy difficulty so you need to.

Yotetar

May 23, 2020
For those who are waiting an update, dont get your hopes high.She has... "more objectives".

falafelswoop

Oct 4, 2019
you don't need the best result to complete the game.
Weak.

You don't need to save Altina to complete the game.
You don't need to not whore Qum to complete the game.
You don't need to free Eustrin from Aram to complete the game.
You don't need to avoid funding the noble gratuity to complete the game.
You don't need to allow all the priestesses to masturbate to complete the game.

But guess what? The heart of the game for most people isn't fighting the monsters, it's helping all the people in the game and fixing the broken world. And if your ability to do that is yoked to your patience for hunting down random desert snakes and abandoned mountain spiders and shit, that's a bad design decision and it's only fair to call it out.

Merely reaching the end of the game content is not the goal, and I refuse to set the bar so low.
Have you not read what I said? It does not block branches is what I said.
It blocks the branch where you get the best outcome from those fights and all the snowballing effects from there. I think the first check is in the fight for Yhilin at the start of Chapter 3? It only gets worse from there. Discretionary funding is pretty tight, and it affects the war... It just goes on and on.

What, did you think I meant this game is arranged in strict tree-like branching like a classic visual novel? Silly.

May 14, 2020
But guess what? The heart of the game for most people isn't fighting the monsters, it's helping all the people in the game and fixing the broken world.
I want the optimal outcome but I don't want to do what's needed...? I can't understand how someone would do everything 100% and then just drop the ball on monsters, people that want to get optimal results would be the same people that want to be the max level. If you hate fighting that much just get the mod with the insta kill item, problem solved.

Rugerrell6

Jun 26, 2020
dawergast in *.0 was a lot of rng based, but from the .1 it's had nothing about luck and only about strategy.
Well it even if that is the case it sure seemed like I only won because I was lucky enough to not get that wierd web attack every other round and the dwarfkiller attack. The only reason I had Hilstara in the party was to try to get the enemies to focus on her instead of killing the rest of my party lol So essentially she was just there to die and get revived for several rounds. 1 other fight I have trouble with sometimes is the damn Lustlord which is wierd because that particular fight isnt presented in the guide as trouble.

falafelswoop

Oct 4, 2019
I want the optimal outcome but I don't want to do what's needed...? I can't understand how someone would do everything 100% and then just drop the ball on monsters, people that want to get optimal results would be the same people that want to be the max level.
No, they wouldn't. The monsters aren't the same kind of gameplay as managing investments or making decisions. Narrative elements about the world getting better are fulfilling in a different way than seeing Simon's level number go up. There might be some overlap but it's not the exact same audience.

And if it weren't for those level checks artificially making it matter, players who don't much care about the monsters wouldn't have to exhaust their patience clearing every map of them to optimize the gameplay and story elements they do care about. It would simply be better if fans could truthfully say "you don't have to grind if you don't want to" rather than "you don't have to grind but if you get invested in the game you'll be sorry you didn't."

The mod with the insta-kill item helps but you still have to scour the maps for snakes that run all over the desert and random respawning spiders. Also, not everyone knows about the mod and there's no guarantee every player will think to even look up a mod. Also, the mod is a few updates behind already so who knows if it's even maintained.

May 14, 2020
No, they wouldn't. The monsters aren't the same kind of gameplay as managing investments or making decisions. Narrative elements about the world getting better are fulfilling in a different way than seeing Simon's level number go up. There might be some overlap but it's not the exact same audience.

And if it weren't for those level checks artificially making it matter, players who don't much care about the monsters wouldn't have to exhaust their patience clearing every map of them to optimize the gameplay and story elements they do care about. It would simply be better if fans could truthfully say "you don't have to grind if you don't want to" rather than "you don't have to grind but if you get invested in the game you'll be sorry you didn't."

The mod with the insta-kill item helps but you still have to scour the maps for snakes that run all over the desert and random respawning spiders. Also, not everyone knows about the mod and there's no guarantee every player will think to even look up a mod. Also, the mod is a few updates behind already so who knows if it's even maintained.
The fact that they don't respawn makes it a non-grind for me. For me grinding is repeatable tasks, this is not repeatable.

Also a few missed snakes will not impact the level checks. You only really impact it if you skip a considerable amount of enemies

falafelswoop

Oct 4, 2019
The fact that they don't respawn makes it a non-grind for me. For me grinding is repeatable tasks, this is not repeatable.
Grind is about being repetitive, not the technicality of whether it's repeatable. Undertale's genocide route is technically about killing all possible monsters, yet I'd consider it one of the grindiest things I played that year. Heck, "grind" tasks in real life often have some sort of technical end goal, including when you are literally grinding something.

Fulminato

Oct 17, 2017
Grind is about being repetitive, not the technicality of whether it's repeatable. Undertale's genocide route is technically about killing all possible monsters, yet I'd consider it one of the grindiest things I played that year. Heck, "grind" tasks in real life often have some sort of technical end goal, including when you are literally grinding something.
you can argue as you want. grind in games had some specific meaning.
mean repeat a signle fight n time to drop something or to gain enough experience.

search for the map all the encounter can be tedious. and grind can be tedious, but this don't mean search on the map the encounter is grind.

smackdab

Jan 30, 2018
Maybe it's about time we just agree that we hold different views on this and the current game design choices favors one side more than the other? We have regressed to discussing semantics now, which is never a good sign.

falafelswoop

Oct 4, 2019
you can argue as you want. grind in games had some specific meaning.
mean repeat a signle fight n time to drop something or to gain enough experience.

search for the map all the encounter can be tedious. and grind can be tedious, but this don't mean search on the map the encounter is grind.
You can argue as much as you want, and obviously by your many posts in this thread, you do. You're still wrong.

Besides, if it's to "repeat a single fight" there are many instances of two mobs being exactly the same fight.

Ultimately whether or not it qualifies as "grind" by someone's technical definition, it's still misleading to say the game is without grind, because people hear that and think "oh cool I don't have to bore myself with tedious fights over and over" and then lol nope.

Onahoe

Dec 26, 2017
As per the XP grind issue, how would everyone feel if we had the ability to kill more monsters later on in the game in order to catch up to the maximum intended level for the area, where the game stops giving XP and items? Simon could say something along the lines of "We're as strong as we're going to get for now.". You could still kill monsters after that; it would just be pointless from all aspects.
Players who already grinded to the max can just ignore them, and those who missed some can benefit. And it's not going to break the story or immersion in any way whatsoever.

smackdab

Jan 30, 2018
As per the XP grind issue, how would everyone feel if we had the ability to kill more monsters later on in the game in order to catch up to the maximum intended level for the area, where the game stops giving XP and items? Simon could say something along the lines of "We're as strong as we're going to get for now.". You could still kill monsters after that; it would just be pointless from all aspects.
Players who already grinded to the max can just ignore them, and those who missed some can benefit. And it's not going to break the story or immersion in any way whatsoever.
I've considered this mechanic myself, and agree that it would be better than what we have now - the game would allow a player to catch up and thus feel less punitive. Currently, the game achieves balance by limiting how far up you can go (level-wise), but not how low.

It would not however, adress the myriad of choices players can make to mess up their game. But it would be an improvement.

Goi

Nov 18, 2017
I mean by the end of the first big war section level becomes meaningless for anything but level checks(optional fights even sooner)

also having low level can give more points towards events than having a decent one

Jayjay000

May 2, 2019
I am seeing that many pages are missing on the fandom wiki site, is this on purpose? Or is it being moved somewhere else?

falafelswoop

Oct 4, 2019
I am seeing that many pages are missing on the fandom wiki site, is this on purpose? Or is it being moved somewhere else?
I dunno about missing pages but most of the community did move to Miraheze a while ago. Maybe Fandom is finally purging them for being about lewds, or something.

4.40 star(s) 177 Votes