monk_56

Apr 26, 2021
Compared to what, how are orcs lesser evil? By killing them off you would not only ensure the safety and stability of your own realm (since orcs go around burning looting and raping for the lolz example: Impaler, and orcent by his own admission) but you would also deprive the enemy a a resource they could use against you.

As far as I see I could make do with mercenaries and succubus who (unlike orcs) have shown they can live without slaughtering people cuz it's fun and can actually be productive members of society.

Beyond that, I see multiple discussion about potential love interrests for Orcent, is there any way to prevent that? If I don't have the choice to simply kill him or tell him to fuck off I sure as shit will ensure that he and his orcs are as isolated as possible from interracting with the society the mc is trying to build.

Hey bud. I too hated the early iterations of orcs in the game. They were just classic rape beasts and I baseline hate that. But through the plot you can help them evolve their abilities to think and control themselves and they become vastly more interesting.

This is the case for Orcent as well. He may as well be an entirely different race of creature after he evolves some frontal cortex impulse control.

As for the relationship he has. He is in a monogamous relationship with one character that is not a member of Simon's harem or on his radar of sexual interest.

Don't worry about him he becomes an ultimate philosopher hommie- even though he starts from dubious origins.

Reactions: Deepsea

WazaQQXOXO

Jul 10, 2021
Compared to what, how are orcs lesser evil? By killing them off you would not only ensure the safety and stability of your own realm (since orcs go around burning looting and raping for the lolz example: Impaler, and orcent by his own admission) but you would also deprive the enemy a a resource they could use against you.

As far as I see I could make do with mercenaries and succubus who (unlike orcs) have shown they can live without slaughtering people cuz it's fun and can actually be productive members of society.

Beyond that, I see multiple discussion about potential love interrests for Orcent, is there any way to prevent that? If I don't have the choice to simply kill him or tell him to fuck off I sure as shit will ensure that he and his orcs are as isolated as possible from interracting with the society the mc is trying to build.
Compared to the owner of the Gilden Lily, yeah, Orcent is a lesser evil. Lucy herself claims that she would prefer Orcent over keeping her current employment.

Gizmogobum

Nov 11, 2020
Hey bud. I too hated the early iterations of orcs in the game. They were just classic rape beasts and I baseline hate that. But through the plot you can help them evolve their abilities to think and control themselves and they become vastly more interesting.

This is the case for Orcent as well. He may as well be an entirely different race of creature after he evolves some frontal cortex impulse control.

As for the relationship he has. He is in a monogamous relationship with one character that is not a member of Simon's harem or on his radar of sexual interest.

Don't worry about him he becomes an ultimate philosopher hommie- even though he starts from dubious origins.
Thanks for not answering the question, so beyond not completing lucys quest I have to make sure kara (whoever she is) dies (since apparently someone in the comments said that it's possible ... hopefully) As for the whole evolve orcs bullshit is that forced on you as well or do you finally get a choice and say no thanks and fuck off? Depending on that I either continue or drop it completely.

Really this entire debacle could have been avoided if you just had the option to kill him and his band of savages. Sigh.

TheNamed

May 13, 2018
Orcent is an important character for the rest of the game. The growth of orcs from monsters into people and the gradual acceptance and recognition of them (and certain other species) as a result of your actions and powers is a big part of the later storyline. I personally thought their treatment refreshing after so many games and stories where they're just evil and stupid.

Gizmogobum

Nov 11, 2020
Orcent is an important character for the rest of the game. The growth of orcs from monsters into people and the gradual acceptance and recognition of them (and certain other species) as a result of your actions and powers is a big part of the later storyline. I personally thought their treatment refreshing after so many games and stories where they're just evil and stupid.
So that is forced on you as well. Sigh dropping this game, shame it's quite good, but I hate it when I am forced to accept choices that I disagree with, that I had no hand in choosing in the first place.

I would have respected the choice to suffer the consequences of not having the orks as allies, more losses among human and succubi troops, the harsher the better as "punishment" for my choice, but as things stand? No thanks.

Reactions: Daken9

Rugerrell6

Jun 26, 2020
So that is forced on you as well. Sigh dropping this game, shame it's quite good, but I hate it when I am forced to accept choices that I disagree with, that I had no hand in choosing in the first place.

I would have respected the choice to suffer the consequences of not having the orks as allies, more losses among human and succubi troops, the harsher the better as "punishment" for my choice, but as things stand? No thanks.
Wow you really seem to hate orcs? But as far as your question yea you have to keep orcs as an important part of your military force and actually start breeding them to be more disciplined and follow orders. And yea its possible for Sister Kara to die if you make the wrong decision during 1 of the wars. But none of the Orcs are the way you describe them they all end up with their own unique personalities and goals and they dont rape and pillage. They have the Succubi for sex if they need it and 1 of em actually turns out swinging the other way haha. Thats kind of an unreasonable reason to stop playing the game because there is so much more involved then that with all the great characters and story but thats up to you I guess. No games give you 100% control of the choices otherwise it would take 20 years to create because of all the different possible outcomes its just not feasible

Zulfiqar

Sep 16, 2019

The evil of allowing the incompetent or complacent rulers of Arclent to continue to leading their societies into stagnation is far greater than anything Simon's orcs do. Simon's plans require a significantly larger army than a few paltry mercenary companies and succubi can constitute. Infact your mercenary forces literally sit the first significant battle of the game out, you're mostly just bribing them to not fight AGAINST you in the battle.

Besides succubi have done and continue to occasionally do bad stuff and orcs are hardly destabilizing rape-loot machines when dominated by Simon, they mostly obey his orders and only rarely (and quite quickly not at all) act as subhuman scum.

And really, to go full CH 3 spoilers,
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

hagare

Mar 27, 2019
Thanks for not answering the question, so beyond not completing lucys quest I have to make sure kara (whoever she is) dies (since apparently someone in the comments said that it's possible ... hopefully) As for the whole evolve orcs bullshit is that forced on you as well or do you finally get a choice and say no thanks and fuck off? Depending on that I either continue or drop it completely.

Really this entire debacle could have been avoided if you just had the option to kill him and his band of savages. Sigh.
I guess you're not big on progress and redemption huh xD

Waiting for this to get the coveted COMPLETED sign so I can finally play it from start to completion xD

Last edited:

Rugerrell6

Jun 26, 2020
There is no word about the next update yet?
No Sierra hasn't mentioned it she had some other things goin on business related deals and an update release for 1 of her other games. She is a hard worker so who knows maybe we will get an update before January but Im gonna say we prolly wont get the next update til sometime in january 2022.

theod3

Mar 31, 2020
I played this game to current content several years ago. There was no artwork back then. Looks like that's been added, but it looks kinda meh. Can anyone disabuse me of that opinion? The storyline was exceptional. This is the only game I think I've ever played where it felt like real political choices being offered.

Rugerrell6

Jun 26, 2020
Nah, it's not unreasonable at all. Unless one agrees with Simon just about 100% of the time, any player who gets into the game thinking they'll be able to influence his personality, or the general course of the plot in some major ways, is bound to have a bad time sooner or later.

And hell, that what (relatively) few choices there are basically boil down to a binary right and wrong option (aka, 'what Simon would do' vs 'whatever the fuck') - with rewards and additional content being sorted out as that would imply - doesn't help matters much either.
I dont understand what your getting at here. You dont have to agree with anything Simon does you are not him you are YOU. This is a game yes but it is a game that is mostly a story. The developer is a Author so the game is more of a story then role playing. Yes you have decisions as far as the worldbuilding elements and societal elements but the bigger picture of the story and its endings will ultimately boil down to a few outcomes. What you would do and what an established character would are 2 completely different things. If we had 100% control of all the characters choices and what their outcomes where the game would never be finished because everyone wants to see different things and outcomes. The author decides how the story will play out not us. But thats why we watch Anime or read books or play games to see how the story plays out we dont have to agree with it. Everyone on f95zone wants to see something different and its unreasonable to think you can give ALL of them what they want.

Fulminato

Oct 17, 2017
Nah, it's not unreasonable at all. Unless one agrees with Simon just about 100% of the time, any player who gets into the game thinking they'll be able to influence his personality, or the general course of the plot in some major ways, is bound to have a bad time sooner or later.

And hell, that what (relatively) few choices there are basically boil down to a binary right and wrong option (aka, 'what Simon would do' vs 'whatever the fuck') - with rewards and additional content being sorted out as that would imply - doesn't help matters much either.
never see players questioning the fact they cannot make significative choice in a jrpg. and TLS is a jrpg.
if you want freedom of choice you must go in the crpg realm.

Qatalitoniss

Nov 8, 2019
Why investing in Lynine's sexual healing does not provide Lynine +5 RP? I get +5 erosia but no RP. Is wikipedia outdated or did I catch a bug?
save file before purchase

Rugerrell6

Jun 26, 2020
Why investing in Lynine's sexual healing does not provide Lynine +5 RP? I get +5 erosia but no RP. Is wikipedia outdated or did I catch a bug?
Google Drive save file before purchase
A good way to boost Lynine RP is when you get the Divine shards give 1 to her. I believe it gives +8-10 points. Orilise is in my top 3 girls in the game so I always choose her over Lynine. So I have had trouble tryna get Lynines RP up in the past as well. Hope that helps.

Rugerrell6

Jun 26, 2020
never see players questioning the fact they cannot make significative choice in a jrpg. and TLS is a jrpg.
if you want freedom of choice you must go in the crpg realm.
Yea if they want 100% control over all the choices they should try to create their own RPG. Thats the only way I see it happening.

manscout

Jun 13, 2018
Better better yet, do you truly believe stuff like the Impaler (one option - killing him - giving nothing but grief and no additional content) couldn't have been implemented better, and stinks of something thrown in there just to appease the rpg tag?

Hell, even just stuff like turning down Robin, telling Wynn to fuck, or, why not, sticking to the choice i made during the elf forest bit, to go to one elf or the other, and not forcing me to recruit both anyway (again, meaningful choices).
I did find it a bit funny that your examples of extra choices were essentially the same type of choice you were complaining about, how exactly would you get "additional content" if all of the choices you gave as examples are to simply not do things that progresses the character's arcs or straight up subtract characters from vast portions of the story?

But in all seriousness, the game has a fairly linear story and estabilished protagonists, the role the player will play is already set to them. But the game still has a pretty good ammount of variation and choices, it is just that the choices are not "character transformative" as much as "performative", you are playing the role of Simon as he conquers the world, you can't change your role or who Simon is as a character, you can only control the performance, how well or how poorly he achieves his goals, which is where I think the game deserves its dues because it does handle consequences of your performance very thoroughly.

If you prefer RPG games where you get to directly customize who the characters are and have more freedom of choice that's fine, but TLS is not that type of game and I think it is a mistake to assume it could easily be turned into that type of game without negatively impacting the things the game does excel at (quality of the story and consistence of the characters).

Daken9

Apr 28, 2017
I did find it a bit funny that your examples of extra choices were essentially the same type of choice you were complaining about, how exactly would you get "additional content" if all of the choices you gave as examples are to simply not do things that progresses the character's arcs or straight up subtract characters from vast portions of the story?

But in all seriousness, the game has a fairly linear story and estabilished protagonists, the role the player will play is already set to them. But the game still has a pretty good ammount of variation and choices, it is just that the choices are not "character transformative" as much as "performative", you are playing the role of Simon as he conquers the world, you can't change your role or who Simon is as a character, you can only control the performance, how well or how poorly he achieves his goals, which is where I think the game deserves its dues because it does handle consequences of your performance very thoroughly.

If you prefer RPG games where you get to directly customize who the characters are and have more freedom of choice that's fine, but TLS is not that type of game and I think it is a mistake to assume it could easily be turned into that type of game without negatively impacting the things the game does excel at (quality of the story and consistence of the characters).
Just to be clear about it, my last example is a choice Sierra herself offered and then backed out of for no apparent reason, while the rest are just minor things i thought of that wouldn't necessarily impact the plot of the game in any major way but would still fit with what we have at hand.

Having said that, you basically answered yourself. Stuff like turning down Robyn, or chasing off Wynn, if done right could easily just serve as added flavor to Simon's character. Just, emphasis on the 'done right' bit. If Sierra treated those choices the same she did killing the Impaler, or breaking Altina and whatshername, even whoring out Qum - basically little to no consequence other than getting stealthily fucked on for picking wrong (/breaking the consistency you were talking about) - then yeah, there'd be no point.

I do agree on the 'performative' bit, though. It's one of the reasons why i ultimately don't really 'like' this game and will never replay it. I see the charm for anyone who likes power scaling, but to me that all this game's variety basically narrows down to picking the optimal option is just plain boring. I guess that's what i don't like about the 'real' choices in this game. No grey, just right and wrong.

manscout

Jun 13, 2018
Just to be clear about it, my last example is a choice Sierra herself offered and then backed out of for no apparent reason, while the rest are just minor things i thought of that wouldn't necessarily impact the plot of the game in any major way but would still fit with what we have at hand.
I think getting both elves was always the plan, it is a ruse that fools you into thinking there will be a choice, but I think it fits with the theme that the goals of the party are changing into being more and more global, so why be stuck on choosing either one or another when you are already starting to set your sights towards everything.
Having said that, you basically answered yourself. Stuff like turning down Robyn, or chasing off Wynn, if done right could easily just serve as added flavor to Simon's character. Just, emphasis on the 'done right' bit. If Sierra treated those choices the same she did killing the Impaler, or breaking Altina and whatshername, even whoring out Qum - basically little to no consequence other than getting stealthily fucked on for picking wrong (/breaking the consistency you were talking about) - then yeah, there'd be no point.

I do agree on the 'performative' bit, though. It's one of the reasons why i ultimately don't really 'like' this game and will never replay it. I see the charm for anyone who likes power scaling, but to me that all this game's variety basically narrows down to picking the optimal option is just plain boring. I guess that's what i don't like about the 'real' choices in this game. No grey, just right and wrong.
I do agree that the advantages of sparing the Impaler are too lopsided in the long run, would have been interesting if he kept the "double-edged" nature of his contributions like his "help" during the battle of yhilin, but his contributions to orc evolution are purely positive so eliminating him is punished for the rest of the game.

I will say that there is a bit of community bias surrounding the actual effects of the harsher versions of dealing with Varia, Altina, and Qum though. In the sense that the people that make the guides find optimal routes that fit the decisions they wanted to take, but it is also perfectly possible to optimize for the "harsher" choices without really getting punished for them, ultimately the issue is that both options are equally viable so why pick the "nastier" one when the game won't really allow you to give Simon villainous motives? I feel Sierra still tried to make those 3 harsh choices still somewhat fit Simon's character though, although they all appeal to his more "ruthless utilitarian" side that gets a bit fazed out past chapter 3.

But yeah, I agree that in general the game generally conflates "harsh choices" with "necessary evils", making it the game's challenge to find ways of not having to accept those necessary evils, which makes most choices be narrowed down to either the right choice or the wrong choice.

4.40 star(s) 177 Votes