Fulminato

Oct 17, 2017
I just finished Simon's part of the split path and feel compelled to vent.

That whole segment was one of the worst cases of bad game design I've ever seen. An unspecified time limit, with open ended tasks that take arbitrary amounts of time to complete, that change based on hidden variables from previous chapters. And absolutely no information provided to the player throughout.

How did someone implement something this bad? How did they not get to step XX/1000 and think, "hey does this make any sense?"

I'm glad some of you heroes have followed the walkthrough step-by-step since pressing "new game" and have shared saves, or this would be going straight into the bin. But I want to ask, does this continue? Do future chapters get any better about presenting information to the player, or is the rest of the game more blindly following the walkthrough?
it's not a flaw in design, but a precise design choice. you never know the future, precisely, and you must take choices based on partial knowledge. as all the designer choice, someone will love it, someother will hate it.

and one cannot meet all the best result without sacrificing something along the way. an optimized playthrough can reach a lot of the best result and miss few thing, but it will never be all and nothing respectively.

speaking of one of the min-maxer player usualy i must change mine every two/three update because something less important became fundamental in a later date.

Why do you think they ask for pictures? They can't jerk off to text only.
i know read is overrated but...

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

for the life of me, i cannot figure out how to end the final evening at the gathering of lords. i have talked to everyone in the camp, and done most of the events. I keep pressing space bar by the bed or trying to leave but no luck. any tips?
there are 8 activity you must do during the gathering.
check fucklord (1) and lord of blood (2) room, negotiate with fheliel (3), orcs (4) and succubi (5), visit balia (6) and the village (7) and sleep in your bed (8)

the fucklord and lord of blood room are in your same building (with anak's empty room), fheliel is in the other building and orcs and succubi are in the main building. for balia you must go in the servant tunnel and going up/north, for the village you must going donw/south in the servan tunnel (it's a tunnel much longer of the rest), for sleeping you simply walk through the door leading your bed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Reij

congamensch

Feb 19, 2018
Reading's for nerds, and as everyone knows, people who play HRPGs for the story are the Chaddest of Chads, as evidenced by

aderpofni

Sep 12, 2018
...most of time player don't get no clue, no information, only outcome, it almost feels like game play itself without player...
You just described the problem exactly. Lack of player agency is a major flaw in an RPG.

It's not about good or bad results. It's about the player feeling like the outcome is theirs. Otherwise you are arbitrarily following (or at the mercy of) the whim of the developer, and that is bad design.

Ripe

Jun 30, 2017
It's not, like I said it's in the same vein as old style RPG's.

You have to plan well ahead and think about everything.

Shit in some older RPG's we had to buy graph paper and draw maps so we didn't get lost. They had no quest logs or in game maps you had to do everything based on what NPC's told you.

This is easy mode.
Having no quest log and having to use graph paper is nothing... remember those "You find a note that is Journal entry 17." games? Where "Journal entry 17" actually tells you what your quest is? And you don't have a game manual which list what individual journal entries are...

congamensch

Feb 19, 2018
You young whippersnappers don't know the ''''''''''''''''''''''JOY'''''''''''''''''''''' of a game coming on 8 floppies, with a cardboard board what had a wheel attached, where you had to spin and match a pair of pictures to play your game. Anyone here remember the original Star Control 2? The one that gave you a set of coordinates which you had to look up on the star map the game gave you? Mind you, back them game manuals actually made for good reading instead of being a tiny, TP sheet-sized flimsy ad with a Steam key on it (I typed CD-key at first, holy shit please tell me some of you remember that).

AND ALSO I HAD TO GO UPHILL IN THE SNOW BOTH WAYS TO GET TO SCHOOL, AND GAS WAS 5 CENTS THEN, AND YOU KIDS BETTER GET OFF MY DAMN LAWN BEFORE I GET THE SWITCH Y'HEAR?!

falafelswoop

Oct 4, 2019
If aderpofni had read more than the post he responded to, maybe he'd have seen the post that clarifies Simon's route is a high point in blind complexity. But hey, that's more reading.
Why do you think they ask for pictures? They can't jerk off to text only.
Must be terrible to have no imagination and no mind's eye. Many people manage to jerk off without any media at all.

Last edited:

Dreadder

Nov 9, 2017
You young whippersnappers don't know the ''''''''''''''''''''''JOY'''''''''''''''''''''' of a game coming on 8 floppies, with a cardboard board what had a wheel attached, where you had to spin and match a pair of pictures to play your game. Anyone here remember the original Star Control 2? The one that gave you a set of coordinates which you had to look up on the star map the game gave you? Mind you, back them game manuals actually made for good reading instead of being a tiny, TP sheet-sized flimsy ad with a Steam key on it (I typed CD-key at first, holy shit please tell me some of you remember that).

AND ALSO I HAD TO GO UPHILL IN THE SNOW BOTH WAYS TO GET TO SCHOOL, AND GAS WAS 5 CENTS THEN, AND YOU KIDS BETTER GET OFF MY DAMN LAWN BEFORE I GET THE SWITCH Y'HEAR?!
Or the general knowledge quiz you had to pass, if you wanted to prove you are an adult, so you could play Leisure suit Larry in the land of the lounge lizards? :ROFLMAO:

But yeah, I don't see the problems aderpofni described as flaws but as a feature, same as most of this game's fans do.

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018

Although it sounds like a "shit was better in my day" I didn't intend that.

I was just trying to point out that this is the kind of thing gamers have been doing for a long time and while it might not be for everyone some people enjoy it.

I love things like this that need me to put a bit of thought into and plan things out a bit in order to get the outcome I want.

Not all games are for everyone so I was pointing out that just because one person didn't enjoy it doesn't make it bad, others do enjoy it.

Reactions: L30 and Dreadder

Ripe

Jun 30, 2017

Those were the days... looking up the star map in Star Control or looking up Treasure fleet location based on month and year for Sid Meier's Pirates (granted, you'd intentionally answer that question wrong so you'd play on difficulty level that is otherwise unavailable) or matching runes for Pool of Radiance or Curse of Azure Bonds to get a code word.

Lazyrick

Jan 10, 2018
This game would be perfect if it had some visuals, not even animation just visuals instead of writing for sex scenes
Congratulations. This post was so inspiring that not only did the Dev make images for the sex scenes of chapter 1, they also created a time machine so that they could insert these images into the game in the latest update, that came out... the 17th (the 10th if you're a supporter.)

AstralBout

Aug 10, 2017
Anybody know how to get pass the granny at the house rose???
My Trin copies are at limit when I checked the painting.

Idontknowme

Game Developer
Nov 12, 2016

In Return to Eustrin, which one is the Hidden Entrance?

4.50 star(s) 181 Votes