Tazor

Nov 6, 2016
Detective code?
You don't need detective code to progress.
It's only a small incentive to get people to support his game, which in my humble opinion, is not enough of an incentive. But hey, I'm not gonna complain when a dev doesn't put a no grind function behind a paywall.

The detective code only saves you a few clicks here and there, knowing exactly where to go.
Seriously, you don't need it.

• Sad
Reactions: TheHighlander

CaseyJishere

Feb 1, 2023
You don't need detective code to progress.
It's only a small incentive to get people to support his game, which in my humble opinion, is not enough of an incentive. But hey, I'm not gonna complain when a dev doesn't put a no grind function behind a paywall.

The detective code only saves you a few clicks here and there, knowing exactly where to go.
Seriously, you don't need it.
Oh ok, I saw one of the quests that said it so I thought it was needed, thanks

texasterry

Jun 3, 2017
First off, I gotta say that I love the story in this game, but REALLY not so much of a fan of the in-game mechanics. For example, the absolute requirement of having temptation points (+corruption stat) that I can never seem to find, and if/when I do, they are instantly lost because the lust stat blows then out, and you run to your room and whip yourself... As a result, I've run out of any remotely 'new' content to distract myself trying to get past these roadblocks.

Alcahest

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
First off, I gotta say that I love the story in this game, but REALLY not so much of a fan of the in-game mechanics. For example, the absolute requirement of having temptation points (+corruption stat) that I can never seem to find, and if/when I do, they are instantly lost because the lust stat blows then out, and you run to your room and whip yourself... As a result, I've run out of any remotely 'new' content to distract myself trying to get past these roadblocks.
I suggest that you read the quick guide in Journal->Help->Quick guide on how to progress in the game.

Reactions: triol
Mar 14, 2018
I tried out Monastery 0.4.1, overall I thought it was quite good.

As I got maybe more mid-game though, it really felt like an illusion of choice of "investigating at my own pace" (yes, it's probably an illusion... but if the game can execute just well enough to maintain that illusion, it works wonders) was replaced by getting rail-roaded to go down a single progression path, step-by-step. Advance X, lets you then advance Y, lets you then advance Z, all a singular chain.

Now is this expected and likely necessary for a single dev making a game with an overarching story? Yes. We've seen many a dev try to make some crazy true-choice branching story and 99% of them all fail at some point along the way.

But maintaining the illusion of there being multiple things to do / ways to get to a goal (or that literally being the case for some parts), a set of mixed steps the player can take in any order to get to an overall checkpoint, maybe even some minor variation in sub-objectives achieved which result in minor differences to the story along the way, some optional things that slowly phase in and out of possibility, really sets a game apart in execution to give the player more immersion. As well as makes for some replayability (although for these sorts of games, you sometimes have to balance that with people not wanting to replay XYZ 'samey' content just to get some minor variations for completionist sake).

I felt like there was some of that early game, where there were multiple angles to approach at my own designation and pace, but it fell off after a while into being a deadly obvious single path to success.

I hope the dev can weave some more winding and/or optional and/or multiple paths back into the existing story as they complete it. If they finish it will be one of the better games of this type around here, heck it already has a UI that deviates from the bog-standard to give it some fresh vibes.

Reactions: Alcahest

Alcahest

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
I tried out Monastery 0.4.1, overall I thought it was quite good.

As I got maybe more mid-game though, it really felt like an illusion of choice of "investigating at my own pace" (yes, it's probably an illusion... but if the game can execute just well enough to maintain that illusion, it works wonders) was replaced by getting rail-roaded to go down a single progression path, step-by-step. Advance X, lets you then advance Y, lets you then advance Z, all a singular chain.

Now is this expected and likely necessary for a single dev making a game with an overarching story? Yes. We've seen many a dev try to make some crazy true-choice branching story and 99% of them all fail at some point along the way.

But maintaining the illusion of there being multiple things to do / ways to get to a goal (or that literally being the case for some parts), a set of mixed steps the player can take in any order to get to an overall checkpoint, maybe even some minor variation in sub-objectives achieved which result in minor differences to the story along the way, some optional things that slowly phase in and out of possibility, really sets a game apart in execution to give the player more immersion. As well as makes for some replayability (although for these sorts of games, you sometimes have to balance that with people not wanting to replay XYZ 'samey' content just to get some minor variations for completionist sake).

I felt like there was some of that early game, where there were multiple angles to approach at my own designation and pace, but it fell off after a while into being a deadly obvious single path to success.

I hope the dev can weave some more winding and/or optional and/or multiple paths back into the existing story as they complete it. If they finish it will be one of the better games of this type around here, heck it already has a UI that deviates from the bog-standard to give it some fresh vibes.
Believe me, I want to make it less linear, and I will continue to occasionally think of ways to make it so. As you hinted at, the problem is the extra amount of work it requires. As you noticed, I did more of it in the beginning, but when I saw how much work it was even for things that may seem simple, and most players won't notice anwyay, it became a question of is it worth it? Most of the times, the answer is no. Then there are times when it will be worth it, like with the pregnancy choice, because it's needed to make pregnancy optional.

That's why it felt good to have an option in v0.4.2 to get rid of one character for good. Maybe no one or very few will make that choice, but at least it is a real choice. :)

GentlemanFaun

May 24, 2017
I don't understand what to do? Delete lines or what?
Here, it's not exactly the same, but it just worked for me.

Find this in the index file, opened in notepad or something:

setup.checke = function() {
var pcode = State.variables.playerCode + ""; //must be a string
if (pcode.hc() == setup.getc()) {
return true;
}

if (setup.playerCode != null && setup.playerCode.hc() == setup.getc()) {
/* using setup.playerCode to verify when using history before adding of code */
return true;
}
return false;
}
Now change that false at the end to true. Maybe make a backup of the index file, in case I'm an idiot.

This should, based on what I can read of the code, mean that whatever password you enter will be correct. In practice, the game just assumed that I had already done it, and was giving me veteran stuff right away. So it works, but I don't know why because I haven't done any coding in like 5 years. Yay?

BigPoppaLoppa

Jun 29, 2020
Thanks alot for updating and continuing this game because I find it rather intriguing and entertaining,so thanks alot and keep up the good work:p

Tort

Feb 25, 2018
I tried out Monastery 0.4.1, overall I thought it was quite good...

I played Paradise Lost, and while it can at times feel like it is a bit linear, the story was good enough that I stayed immersed. Alchahest does a lot of research and it really shows!

again another great update I enjoyed and I look forward to the next one coming around!

hkgpeanut

Oct 9, 2017
I love your game, I love so much that after complete 0.42 I subscribe you on Patreon.
I love game that with fking good story, especially the story combine with historical fact/event (I am a big fan of old Assassin Creed game)
Trust or Authority seems not quite different right now but understandable, the text in the game is huge. I don't have much complaint for that.
I would say the idea of lust/temptation and corruption mechanism is good way to make player working on resource management and "gate keep" the player to experience the story, but on the other hand sin and resistant seems kinda pointless right now(after all corruption is the way).
Overall I am looking forward for MC to fall deeper in the hole and progress on his job

YYYgamesYYY

Aug 26, 2020
I don't understand what to do? Delete lines or what?
Code:
setup.checke = function() {
        return true;
}
Sorry that I didn't explain more in detail at first. In general, if you see a code like this posted the intention is to make your setup.checke function match the one given. so the workflow would look like this:

1. Open file in text editor (index.html in this case)
  2. Search for the function declaration "setup.checke ="
  3. Replace everything within the curly braces with the new code.

"setup.checke = function()" is declaring that 'setup.checke' is a function which should perform whatever tasks are within the curly braces when it is called. In this case, all we need is true to be returned.

You can figure out what needs to be edited pretty easily most of the time. I found the setup.check function by searching the index.html for the words like "veteran", "unlock", whatever words were on the screen where you put the code in, or where you know the status would be checked. Look for what functions get called and then search for that function to see what it does('setup.checke ='). You might have to follow along as one function calls another, but you're just looking for something that looks like a comparison ie. if inputcode == cheatcode {.

Don't let lack of coding knowledge stop you, it really isn't necessary most of the time. Just know that '=' is setting a value (FirstName = Steve), and '==' is a comparison (does FirstName == Steve?). It's mostly just logically reading and thinking. if you see the word 'unlocked' in a function comparing values "if x == null.... return false; else... return true." Try making them both return true/false, etc. If it doesn't work, change it back and keep looking.

idraigir

Apr 28, 2018
I can't find the five nuns for the "Spreading the Seed" quest. Replaying Olenkas scene doesn't count and other than her I only found four nuns with the fornicate option (Sofia, Rumika, Celine and Anika).

Reactions: OliviaNelson
4.50 star(s) 57 Votes