VN Ren'Py Abandoned The Mysterious Island [0.4.0b] [Abere Lucifer]

2.00 star(s) 3 Votes

Wisblade

Jul 2, 2019
Technically this game wasn't "Abandoned." I put it "On Hold", but F95 put the tag on it.
Yeah, probably because of delay since the last update. Doesn't matter the tag, I prefer to listen to your version.
But anyway, do you really plan to redo all graphics in "realistic way", and drop the "anime look"?? I'm not sure it could be a wise decision...

First, it will throw to the trash everything that is currently done. In France, we say that "Doing and undoing is always work", and if you don't have a lot of time for this game, it would be wasted work. All this time used to redo what already exists could be spent in a wiser way by continuing the story instead...

Second, I think that the anime look suits extremely well to the story - maybe because the story itself sounds like some animes I watch, to be honest. Realistic renders wouldn't suits so well, I think. I know other games where it's quite the opposite (I didn't liked "Public Sex Life" with cartoon characters, I liked the "H" version with more "realistic" anime characters). I couldn't imagine a game like "A house in the rift" or "Corrupted kingdoms" with realistic renders, it would kill immersion... And "Desert Stalker", "The DeLuca Family" or "Sandstorm" with anime renders would sucks and lower the dramatic side of the story. But a game like "Price of Power" could support both kind of renders without too much problems... It's always a matter of story, universe and narration style - humor and unrealistic situations are often better with anime-like renders, for example.

Again, that's only MY opinion, don't take it badly. Currently, I like your three games, and I think that TMI should be continued as it is currently. It's up to you anyway.

Abere Lucifer Productions

Conversation Conqueror
Game Developer
May 31, 2017
Yeah, probably because of delay since the last update. Doesn't matter the tag, I prefer to listen to your version.
But anyway, do you really plan to redo all graphics in "realistic way", and drop the "anime look"?? I'm not sure it could be a wise decision...

First, it will throw to the trash everything that is currently done. In France, we say that "Doing and undoing is always work", and if you don't have a lot of time for this game, it would be wasted work. All this time used to redo what already exists could be spent in a wiser way by continuing the story instead...

Second, I think that the anime look suits extremely well to the story - maybe because the story itself sounds like some animes I watch, to be honest. Realistic renders wouldn't suits so well, I think. I know other games where it's quite the opposite (I didn't liked "Public Sex Life" with cartoon characters, I liked the "H" version with more "realistic" anime characters). I couldn't imagine a game like "A house in the rift" or "Corrupted kingdoms" with realistic renders, it would kill immersion... And "Desert Stalker", "The DeLuca Family" or "Sandstorm" with anime renders would sucks and lower the dramatic side of the story. But a game like "Price of Power" could support both kind of renders without too much problems... It's always a matter of story, universe and narration style - humor and unrealistic situations are often better with anime-like renders, for example.

Again, that's only MY opinion, don't take it badly. Currently, I like your three games, and I think that TMI should be continued as it is currently. It's up to you anyway.
To tell you the truth I've kind of forgotten how to use Honey Select. It would take me longer to go back and relearn what I knew than it would just to remake it. Also, I never learned how to do animations with HS. I do know how to do them with DAZ though.

Wisblade

Jul 2, 2019
To tell you the truth I've kind of forgotten how to use Honey Select. It would take me longer to go back and relearn what I knew than it would just to remake it. Also, I never learned how to do animations with HS. I do know how to do them with DAZ though.
That's sad... I'm not sure that the game NEEDS animations so badly, despite it's always better to have them. I just think that it could be better to first finish the game, with HS and even if it's not so easy to take it again, THEN to redo it (or make a whole new version) IF the game encounter a big enough success.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Crimsonfiend76

Herald - Super Naked Ginger Cuddle Time
Donor
Sep 8, 2020
I'm subbed on SS and know how much content you frequently continue to churn out, but if you picked this one back up, I'd definitely play it no matter the art style you decide on. I was gonna play it last year, but the on-hold/abandoned tag kinda scared me off it. Fingers crossed this one can be revived as long as its not a sandbox, any plans to incorporate any cameos from your other games considering the 'out there' plots and character backstories or will this be in a more grounded into reality without the zany incest and pregnancies?

Furyous D

Aug 11, 2017
i just finally got around to playing this and i loved every second of it, i agree with Wisblade the anime style fits this game perfectly, i love games that have this artstyle.
i would like to suggest a compromise though seeing as u have lost what u knew about honey select (u never know it could be like riding a bicycle and u will remember once u try, from what i remember HS isn't that hard of a program to make models in, but i never used them for a game so idk how complicated that is), idk anything about DAZ but is there any way u could use DAZ to get as close as possible to the original style? (ie same hairstyles/colours and similar clothing) if so that might be much easier for u than relearning Honey Select but either way i would like to see the game continued as i love this kind of story and i really want to know where it is going to go next (i'd also like to suggest allowing the player to name their character instead of having a pre made one and not just in this game but in your other 2 games too if they already dont have that (been a while since i played them and i can't remember off the top of my head if they do or not)).

Abere Lucifer Productions

Conversation Conqueror
Game Developer
May 31, 2017
i just finally got around to playing this and i loved every second of it, i agree with Wisblade the anime style fits this game perfectly, i love games that have this artstyle.
i would like to suggest a compromise though seeing as u have lost what u knew about honey select (u never know it could be like riding a bicycle and u will remember once u try, from what i remember HS isn't that hard of a program to make models in, but i never used them for a game so idk how complicated that is), idk anything about DAZ but is there any way u could use DAZ to get as close as possible to the original style? (ie same hairstyles/colours and similar clothing) if so that might be much easier for u than relearning Honey Select but either way i would like to see the game continued as i love this kind of story and i really want to know where it is going to go next (i'd also like to suggest allowing the player to name their character instead of having a pre made one and not just in this game but in your other 2 games too if they already dont have that (been a while since i played them and i can't remember off the top of my head if they do or not)).
I'll be starting a new game soon called Extra Credit, that will be a spiritual successor to The Mysterious Island, I'm actually thinking of having some of the characters in The Mysterious Island in Extra Credit.

Reactions: hm4steve

Shipfan66

Mar 24, 2019
Late to the discussion as usual, but if Doc decided to pick Koikatu back up (HS doesn't have much to do with this one lol), I'd cheerfully start playing this again. I'm definitely playing Extra Credit already (downloading hte current update now, in fact), but this one was so much fun I'd love to see it come back around. Or -- since it's been so long anyway -- maybe Doc could be the first to take a shot at developing in Illusion's newest title, HoneyCome? (Yeah yeah i know, "Illsoft" lol... it's still Illusion, jsut renamed.) There's already a repack out for it, jsut not sure if there's a Studio yet. ...Anyhoo, I still hope this one makes a comeback. It really was a lot of fun :)

2.00 star(s) 3 Votes