VN Ren'Py The Neverwhere Tales [v0.4.0] [Ceolag]

4.40 star(s) 38 Votes

ename144

Engaged Member
Sep 20, 2018
View attachment 3297408

Hey everyone,

the new year 2024 seems to keep throwing wrenches into my work.
Be it my own health or my family, this week it was my PC.

Last Friday, I said I wanted to finish the test build early this week.
Last Friday (evening), life said "eheheh... middle finger" and sent a power outage to roast one of my hard disks.
Out of the 4 disks in my PC, it hit the SSD with all the TNT stuff on it (of course). All rendered images, all DAZ scenes, and all kit-bashed assets were on that SSD.
While I do have a backup (2 actually), the backup is from the end of December 2023. 3 weeks of rendering work gone.

So instead of rendering the final images for the test build, I spent the whole weekend desperately trying to get the SSD back to functional
or at least recover the data from it. I failed on the first task but mostly succeded on the 2nd one.
By Monday I had most of the critical stuff recovered (it was painfully slow but at least it worked). Cost me 2 days of work and nerves (and ~200€ for a new SSD and the recovery software...)
but that's still better than having to re-pose and render 260 images...
Lessons learned:
- do backups more often
- look into buying an UPS

It did come with one positive thing, though. While sitting there waiting and praying for the recovery to succeed I had an idea for a small animation that wasn't planned.
So as the wise people say: Always look on the bright side of life! :)

After I dealt with the SSD fallout, I got back to setting up the remaining renders and created my test build (on Thursday now).
The numbers for this week are:
57 new static renders, 264 recovered renders, for a total of 321
1 new animation, 1 recovered, for a total of... 2 (didn't even need a calculator for this one!)
80 new script lines for a total of 1101

The plan for next week? Same thing I do every week... try to take over the world, gnarf.

Other news and stuff:
I released my Demo on Steam earlier today in preparation for the Steam Next Fest on Feb 05.
You can find it here:

And while you're there, you can give the game a wishlist if you haven't done already ;-)

In the process of setting up the Steam stuff and Next Fest, I'll make the switch to the game being paywalled.
I already mentioned it earlier, releasing on Steam forces you to do that and I want a (mostly) clean cut.
The demo (up to the end of Chapter 3) will be free (and I don't intend to take it down after Next Fest), everything after that will be paywalled.
I already made that switch on itch.io, Patreon will follow within the next few days, which means the Chaplain tier will be discontinued and a new Chaplain tier with a higher price will be introduced.
Both Chaplain tiers will have access to a Steam key (if they want) and the download links for the Chapters after Chapter 3.
Lower tiers will have access to the DL links and a Steam key if the lifetime support matches (or exceeds) the Steam price.

That's it for now.
I wish you guys a nice weekend and I'm thrilled to see what life throws at me next week... ;-)

Cheers,
Ceolag

Good to hear you're okay, sorry to hear about the cat :(
I wish you all the best and hope that the clean up goes well.
Hmmm, a new dev post. Are you pondering what I'm pondering, fellow F95ers?

What?! No, I meant we get to chart the new numbers!

Ceolag's average this week of 57 static renders, 1 animation and 80 lines (and nothing permanently lost!) translates to an overall average of approximately 94 renders, 0.6 animations and 320 lines per week since work on Chapter 5 officially began. Here are the charts for Week 4:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Obviously the most important takeaway was the lack of doom, along with the important safety tip to backup your data more often (note to self...). Beyond that, things seem to be progressing fairly normally, accounting for the crisis. Hopefully it will be smoother sailing going forward.

Interesting preview image. Again, it seems an odd match for an elf-focused chapter but presumably all will become clearer once we can see for ourselves.

Last edited:
  • Red Heart
Reactions: znerun and Ceolag

Grumpy Old Aussie

Engaged Member
May 6, 2023
View attachment 3297408

Hey everyone,

the new year 2024 seems to keep throwing wrenches into my work.
Be it my own health or my family, this week it was my PC.

Last Friday, I said I wanted to finish the test build early this week.
Last Friday (evening), life said "eheheh... middle finger" and sent a power outage to roast one of my hard disks.
Out of the 4 disks in my PC, it hit the SSD with all the TNT stuff on it (of course). All rendered images, all DAZ scenes, and all kit-bashed assets were on that SSD.
While I do have a backup (2 actually), the backup is from the end of December 2023. 3 weeks of rendering work gone.

So instead of rendering the final images for the test build, I spent the whole weekend desperately trying to get the SSD back to functional
or at least recover the data from it. I failed on the first task but mostly succeded on the 2nd one.
By Monday I had most of the critical stuff recovered (it was painfully slow but at least it worked). Cost me 2 days of work and nerves (and ~200€ for a new SSD and the recovery software...)
but that's still better than having to re-pose and render 260 images...
Lessons learned:
- do backups more often
- look into buying an UPS

It did come with one positive thing, though. While sitting there waiting and praying for the recovery to succeed I had an idea for a small animation that wasn't planned.
So as the wise people say: Always look on the bright side of life! :)

After I dealt with the SSD fallout, I got back to setting up the remaining renders and created my test build (on Thursday now).
The numbers for this week are:
57 new static renders, 264 recovered renders, for a total of 321
1 new animation, 1 recovered, for a total of... 2 (didn't even need a calculator for this one!)
80 new script lines for a total of 1101

The plan for next week? Same thing I do every week... try to take over the world, gnarf.

Other news and stuff:
I released my Demo on Steam earlier today in preparation for the Steam Next Fest on Feb 05.
You can find it here:

And while you're there, you can give the game a wishlist if you haven't done already ;-)

In the process of setting up the Steam stuff and Next Fest, I'll make the switch to the game being paywalled.
I already mentioned it earlier, releasing on Steam forces you to do that and I want a (mostly) clean cut.
The demo (up to the end of Chapter 3) will be free (and I don't intend to take it down after Next Fest), everything after that will be paywalled.
I already made that switch on itch.io, Patreon will follow within the next few days, which means the Chaplain tier will be discontinued and a new Chaplain tier with a higher price will be introduced.
Both Chaplain tiers will have access to a Steam key (if they want) and the download links for the Chapters after Chapter 3.
Lower tiers will have access to the DL links and a Steam key if the lifetime support matches (or exceeds) the Steam price.

That's it for now.
I wish you guys a nice weekend and I'm thrilled to see what life throws at me next week... ;-)

Cheers,
Ceolag

Good to hear you're okay, sorry to hear about the cat :(
I wish you all the best and hope that the clean up goes well.
Thanks I appreciate it. A lot of people without power and a lot of cleaning up to do still so we have been helping out as we can.

You have had your own problems by the sound of it. The updates looks like it will be awesome and I'm glad you recovered a lot of your work. I'm really looking forward to it. We might actually talk about something other than Kaija :LOL:

Joshy92

Devoted Member
Mar 25, 2021
Thanks I appreciate it. A lot of people without power and a lot of cleaning up to do still so we have been helping out as we can.

You have had your own problems by the sound of it. The updates looks like it will be awesome and I'm glad you recovered a lot of your work. I'm really looking forward to it. We might actually talk about something other than Kaija :LOL:
Talk about something other than Kiaja?
Thats not possible bro she is always on my mind.

Grumpy Old Aussie

Engaged Member
May 6, 2023
I want to talk about something that hasn't been mentioned, what do you think of Kaija? :p :ROFLMAO: Just joking.

Could Linnae be the mastermind behind the demons? She is a step ahead of the rest of the Templars. Linnae is willing to act independently to achieve her goals. When she is booted from the council, she isn't fazed at all. She has taken a particular interest in the MC. Thoughts?

Oct 10, 2022
I want to talk about something that hasn't been mentioned, what do you think of Kaija? :p :ROFLMAO: Just joking.
Fucking hate her. Thanks for asking. :LOL:

Could Linnae be the mastermind behind the demons? She is a step ahead of the rest of the Templars. Linnae is willing to act independently to achieve her goals. When she is booted from the council, she isn't fazed at all. She has taken a particular interest in the MC. Thoughts?
I don't think she is, though I don't have any proof for it. She seems to be a friend to MC's parents. Also she is as devoted as Kaija to the their cult. Only plausible reason would be her disgust against Neverwhere, Elves demanded that they shutdown all known gate to Neverwhere. I still think it was Jason Statham though.

Dessolos

Conversation Conqueror
Jul 25, 2017

Granted ive yet to do optional bar conversations with Linnae. But something about Linnae always felt a bit off to me. She gave me Emperor Palatine vibes or something , like she is playing everyone without us knowing it idk. It's just every other council member is an asshole and you are meant to hate them right away. But with Linnae she felt like she is the only one that was nice and not a total dick. It could be she is up to nothing, but with the common theme of templars lying and hiding the truth from us, I feel like something is off im not sure what or why.

Then when you bring up your point on how she doesn't seem to care about getting kicked off the council I didn't think about that but now I get a feeling she is up to something for sure now.

• Love
Reactions: Grumpy Old Aussie

Grumpy Old Aussie

Engaged Member
May 6, 2023
Fucking hate her. Thanks for asking. :LOL:

I don't think she is, though I don't have any proof for it. She seems to be a friend to MC's parents. Also she is as devoted as Kaija to the their cult. Only plausible reason would be her disgust against Neverwhere, Elves demanded that they shutdown all known gate to Neverwhere. I still think it was Jason Statham though.
You're probably right about Linnae. I was just playing with ideas.

Jason Statham is a moron. I'm not sure he would be intelligent enough to pull it off.

Joshy92

Devoted Member
Mar 25, 2021
Imagine taking Kaija on a romantic date at a fancy restaurant
And she is wearing a beautiful cocktail dress or something.

The jealousy I would see on every guy's faces would be hilarious.

4.40 star(s) 38 Votes