VN Ren'Py The Neverwhere Tales [v0.4.0] [Ceolag]

4.40 star(s) 38 Votes

ename144

Engaged Member
Sep 20, 2018
Dev Update - 2024/05/31

Happy Friday everyone,

business as usual this week. I'm chugging away from the remaining scenes, a national holiday, and lots of work.
Overall the progress is good, especially considering all the national holidays and family stuff in May.
I expected to be slower with the development than I was in the end.

What's left for Chapter 5?
I'm almost done coding the next scene which then needs renders. That will be the focus of next week.
After that, I've planned 5 more scenes. 2 medium-sized ones (~100 renders), 1 smaller one (~20-40 renders), and 2 bigger ones (not necessarily render-wise, but animations/environment).
Keep in mind, that this is still a rough estimate. If I have the feeling a scene needs to be extended or cut short, I will do so.

But it should give you a rough estimate of what's still left to do.

For the progress this week:
119 new static renders for a total of 1928
0 new animations
368 new lines in the script file for a total of 5446

That's it for today.
Have a nice weekend, guys.

Cheers,
Ceolag

Chapter 5 preview
View attachment 3689744 View attachment 3689748

Interesting information this week. By the raw numbers, Ceolag's overall average is now holding at approximately 90 static renders, 1.7 animations and 254 lines per week since work on Chapter 5 officially began. Here are the charts:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
The current trends continue to hold fairly stead, so let's turn our attention to the projections of how much work is left to complete. Ceolag says we have two medium scenes of ~100 statics (each, I'm presuming), a small scene of 20-40 statics, and two big scenes of unknown statics but some significant number of animations. That's unsurprisingly imprecise, but it's probably enough to start some decent speculation.

If we assume the bigger scenes will have render counts somewhere between a small and medium scene, we get a rough remaining static render count in the 300-450 range; call it a total target of 2300 statics as an average estimate. If we then further assume the combined animations will roughly match the animation spurt we saw from Week 8 to Week 11, that would give us a remaining animation count of roughly 30; that would in turn give us an estimated 67 total animations. Since there was no mention of lines in the projections, we'll assume they're not a gating item and ignore them for these purposes.

So that gives us a finish line. The next question is how long it would take to get there. We could hit the static total in about three weeks at our current rate, but that assumes no animations production (and animations tend to lower the static render rate). If we assume Ceolag finishes rendering the statics at the current rate, then transitions over to animations rendered at a near peak rate from the last time he focused on animations, it would probably take ~6-7 weeks to hit both targets. If we assume he works on both simultaneously from here on out at a rate roughly the average of his combined rate in Weeks 8-11, he'd hit both totals in around 5 weeks. So 5-7 weeks is probably a reasonable ballpark guess, which translates to wrapping up the artwork in the July 5 to July 19 range.

Of course, that's ignoring any post production work or testing that will probably be necessary, and it's reliant on my wild guesswork based on Ceolag's highly imprecise estimates, so I would not recommend taking those dates particularly seriously. The goal is just to give us a ballpark idea of when we might expect to see the production cycle wind down. I'm definitely looking forward to playing Chapter 5, but I'm not going to fret if it winds up taking longer than anticipated.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2022
Elea, Medb and Fiona are all pretty close in my book. She who shall not be named is a very distant 4th
I am kinda disappointed tbh. Even if very distant, she being the 4th means there is a chance. I was expecting not having her on the list at all.

I agree on Elea, Medb and Fiona being pretty close though. As far as we know, they are awesome and only think makes difference is personal preferences. That's why Fiona is the best because who does not love a hot redhead? :LOL:;)

Grumpy Old Aussie

Engaged Member
May 6, 2023
I am kinda disappointed tbh. Even if very distant, she being the 4th means there is a chance. I was expecting not having her on the list at all.

I agree on Elea, Medb and Fiona being pretty close though. As far as we know, they are awesome and only think makes difference is personal preferences. That's why Fiona is the best because who does not love a hot redhead? :LOL:;)
I love all hair colors, but I do have a slight preference for blondes.
I include she who shall not be named in my list because you never know Ceolag may redeem her somehow.

Milton749

Jul 26, 2023

I don't trust her. But yet, she's still a long way ahead of You Know Who.

I include she who shall not be named in my list because you never know Ceolag may redeem her somehow.
Sorry, I don't care what story Ceolag or Kaija come up with, she's burnt her bridge with me. Happy to be a friend, if it's a good enough reason. But no more D for her!

Grumpy Old Aussie

Engaged Member
May 6, 2023

Sorry, I don't care what story Ceolag or Kaija come up with, she's burnt her bridge with me. Happy to be a friend, if it's a good enough reason. But no more D for her!
I agree, but I have played a couple of VNs where the evil woman gets redeemed, so I never rule it out, but getting passed the trust issue is pretty bloody hard.

Oct 10, 2022
if we talking about irl thing, blondes were never my thing maybe dirty blonde works I don't know. Brunettes for me.
Though, in AVNs I find what I seek in redheads. :LOL:

I don't know about that. I think she is pretty close if not equal. :unsure:

I hate how flawless your logic is
What if her greatest secret was she is not natural redhead but she dyes her hair?

;) Ohh, Defen got a clone .....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Great minds think alike. ;)

I really am wondering what could cause such an action tbh. There is no redeeming for her IMO, you can't do what she did and expect to be considered good guy yet kinda curious what would be her excuse for being such a shitty person.

Hey MC I did everything because of my sob story. :cry:

Milton749

Jul 26, 2023
I really am wondering what could cause such an action tbh. There is no redeeming for her IMO, you can't do what she did and expect to be considered good guy yet kinda curious what would be her excuse for being such a shitty person.

Hey MC I did everything because of my sob story. :cry:
No idea, but I'm open to a Ceolag redemption arc if he has one and I can believe it. But only as a friend, nothing sexual/romantic.

I don't have a real problem with her lying about the work she did, I understand that. It's the relationship part. I know the Kaija fans will say, she was ordered into a relationship and refused. Only getting into a relationship when she started feeling something. But, she still moved into a friendship with MC with ulterior motives, and when she started banging him, it conveniently made her job a lot easier.

Since we as the player had her forced upon us, we can see her in any way we can. I choose to see her as a FWB, rather than someone I was in love with. If we can have a working friendship (even without 100% trust) that helps MC's goals, I can live with it. Her skills and knowledge will be useful, so I'm kind of using her now. LOL.

Personally, I don't think we will get any further redemption, the coming to save MC life was it. And while she's sad, she's really not sorry at all about anything. In fact, she says, if she did it all again, she would do it the same way. I really can't see there is anything further to be revealed.

Oct 10, 2022
No idea, but I'm open to a Ceolag redemption arc if he has one and I can believe it. But only as a friend, nothing sexual/romantic.
Nope, not even that. I wanna see her redemption arc so I can dig her grave deeper, nothing else.

It's the relationship part. I know the Kaija fans will say, she was ordered into a relationship and refused.
This is not correct, it's explicitly mentioned in the game. They tried to order, MC's shitbag father prevented it and her only order was stay close to MC, nothing about relationship part. She decided that. She also started the relationship before she starts feeling something. We kinda discussed this with all the screenshots and all.

Since we as the player had her forced upon us, we can see her in any way we can. I choose to see her as a FWB, rather than someone I was in love with. If we can have a working friendship (even without 100% trust) that helps MC's goals, I can live with it. Her skills and knowledge will be useful, so I'm kind of using her now. LOL.
Nope, never. Not a friend, not a FWB and especially not a gf. I agree on using part. I also am hopeful someday we'll get a revenge and make her miserable preferably using the skills she is teaching now.

Personally, I don't think we will get any further redemption, the coming to save MC life was it. And while she's sad, she's really not sorry at all about anything. In fact, she says, if she did it all again, she would do it the same way. I really can't see there is anything further to be revealed.
She is conflicted on love path about that but not enough. She is an evil harpy bitch and that thing will never ever change for me.

Milton749

Jul 26, 2023
Nope, not even that. I wanna see her redemption arc so I can dig her grave deeper, nothing else.

Nope, never. Not a friend, not a FWB and especially not a gf. I agree on using part. I also am hopeful someday we'll get a revenge and make her miserable preferably using the skills she is teaching now.

She is conflicted on love path about that but not enough. She is an evil harpy bitch and that thing will never ever change for me.
I can feel your pain in your words, and I'm with you. I should have been clearer, I saw our past relationship as FWB, nothing more. And definitely not in the future.

This is not correct, it's explicitly mentioned in the game. They tried to order, MC's shitbag father prevented it and her only order was stay close to MC, nothing about relationship part. She decided that. She also started the relationship before she starts feeling something. We kinda discussed this with all the screenshots and all.
I remember the overall discussion, not the specifics. But, I think we're saying the same thing. She started a friendship with MC with ulterior motives. She may have started loving him at some point (or not), but she deceived him and was dishonest.

But she definitely says that she refused the order too and had trouble with the council. And then shitbag stepped in. She might have been lying though. If she was honest and the final order was to stay close, then she should have made absolutely sure it didn't become a relationship. That's on her (although I guess the council wouldn't have minded, since it's what they wanted in the first place).

screenshot0001.png

But, like I said, she had an ulterior motive, and that friendship, just 'somehow' turned into a relationship. That's all on her. And she even admitted that made her job easier.

screenshot0002.png

In conclusion, Yes, she is a conniving "evil harpy bitch".

4.40 star(s) 38 Votes