VN Ren'Py The Neverwhere Tales [v0.5.0] [Ceolag]

4.40 star(s) 45 Votes

nitkonikic

Sep 17, 2018
I'm not siding with either party, i think her choice isn't bad per se, it's the same situation many soldiers are in. It's a dangerous job, if the partner can't accept that than maybe breaking up is better.

Yes she certainly could find them, probably has, maybe even keeping an eye out for her child.
I just find it hard to believe she would just give up her young child and then even going so far as to never speek with said child again...letting the husband take care of the kid and raising it outside of templar influence ok, but at least i would assume she would stay in conntact, even if she keeps her job a secret.
It would make more sense if her kid would be old enough to have a say in the matter and is agreeing with her husband, but that can't be the case if it is really Elea.
Yeah, that's why I'm on the fence if child is Elea:
1. It sounds too easy
2. It would really sour some people (myself included) on Linnae
3. If it's Elea and she kept watch on her from distance, she would definitely know a lot about MC even before they met in Templars HQ

If she just left her husband (or he left her) because of the job? That's fine.
If she abandoned her child (bonus points if that's Elea) and never even bothered to keep an eye on him/her?
That would be inexcusable, and I'd hate her guts.

Lots to be seen and explained about Linnae yet.

Grumpy Old Aussie

Engaged Member
May 6, 2023
Her reply to being asked if she regrets losing family to stay a templar as "sometimes" just shows she is theirs.
If she left her family for Templars, betraying MC for the good of the order would be walk in the park.
Man, do I not trust or like Linnae one bit...
Refusing to mention any members of said "family" beyond the husband implies those other members are not significant. When the point of these conversations is to mend fences damaged by the MC's parents keeping him in the dark, somehow neglecting to mention that Linnae not only had a daughter but that she was the MC's friend and coworker, that's just dynamiting a whole new section of fence.

Which, admittedly, would be completely in character for these morons. But I think Alfred's point is that if Elea really is Linnae's abandoned daughter, we really should be able to call them out on yet another deception (both the MC's parents and Linnae herself).
I'm suspicious of Linnea, on the surface she seems like a good soul, but her devotion to the Templars and her choice to so easily throw away her responsibility to the rest of the council has me questioning her true motives.

I can see why Linnae would not mention her daughter if it was Elea. If Linnae wants her daughter kept out of the Templar world, then she would know exactly where Elea works and who she works with. It's no surprise to me Linnae would not mention Elea to the MC at that stage. She would risk the MC going straight to Elea and spilling the beans.

Maviarab

Devoted Member
Jul 12, 2020
I'm suspicious of Linnea, on the surface she seems like a good soul, but her devotion to the Templars and her choice to so easily throw away her responsibility to the rest of the council has me questioning her true motives.

I can see why Linnae would not mention her daughter if it was Elea. If Linnae wants her daughter kept out of the Templar world, then she would know exactly where Elea works and who she works with. It's no surprise to me Linnae would not mention Elea to the MC at that stage. She would risk the MC going straight to Elea and spilling the beans.
Can't like this entire post enough (y) (y) (y)

Raziel_8

Engaged Member
Dec 4, 2017
If she abandoned her child (bonus points if that's Elea) and never even bothered to keep an eye on him/her?
That would be inexcusable, and I'd hate her guts.
Fully agree with you there.
Yeah, she is the most likeable among them, i certainly don't trust her thought, even more so if you on a fuck the templars run.
Someone who abandons their family and children for the sake of the templars would pretty much do anything else for them.

Well to be fair, she took responsibility for her actions (something so very un-templar like) and thinks it's correct, as she would set a really bad example for any other templar, which is kinda true.
Also if you would be on the council with these morons for 2 decades i can understand why she (or anyone) would feel glad to be free of them...

That being said, she would be a really good traitor, one which almost none would suspect, least the father. Thought i'd be curious for her motives, as i don't really see her as someone which would do it out of hate, or would do it forsome far fetched goal.

Dec 29, 2018
Refusing to mention any members of said "family" beyond the husband implies those other members are not significant. When the point of these conversations is to mend fences damaged by the MC's parents keeping him in the dark, somehow neglecting to mention that Linnae not only had a daughter but that she was the MC's friend and coworker, that's just dynamiting a whole new section of fence.

Which, admittedly, would be completely in character for these morons. But I think Alfred's point is that if Elea really is Linnae's abandoned daughter, we really should be able to call them out on yet another deception (both the MC's parents and Linnae herself).
Yeah, the whole thing just feels intentionally deceiving, which isn't something they should be doing in the middle of a trust building exercise. Like... what are they even thinking at this point? Do they think they won't get caught? Again? That they can hide behind a technicality? I'm more confused about the motivations here than anything.

If they are trying to keep Elea safe, they would be watching her. And if they are watching her, they know we are (potentially) in a relationship with her. And they know we fed up with all the lies in our life. So the odds of us spilling the beans to her seem pretty high here, right? And wouldn't that come back to bite them in real big hurry?

The one thing I want most in the next update is a chance to sit down with Linnae and talk with her about our parents decisions. In particular, about how close we were to being killed because we didn't know the dangers around us. So far he's just upset at being lied to on a moral ground sort of argument, where I would like to expand this into a more practical viewpoint.

You ever see that Chernobyl mini-series? Where the one character talks about the cost of lies, and how every lie incurs a debt to the truth, and one day that debt will have to be paid? That's the sort of thing I want to see. Netfilx and chill with Linnae.

I understand that lies are a necessity when part of a secret organization. But you can't go around lying to everyone all the time. There needs to some sort of general rule about the difference between lying to outsiders and lying to those within the organization. How are we supposed to function if we can't believe anyone ever?

ename144

Engaged Member
Sep 20, 2018

As opposed to the MC *definitely* going to straight to Elea to spill the beans if he learns the truth from someone other than Linnae?

I'm not saying Linnae might not prefer those odds even so, but it's a very questionable move when all she had to do was just not talk about her family at all. The only reason to give an answer there was to build trust with the MC. Lying by omission is a very high risk/low reward way to go about that.

Fully agree with you there.

Yeah, she is the most likeable among them, i certainly don't trust her thought, even more so if you on a fuck the templars run.
Someone who abandons their family and children for the sake of the templars would pretty much do anything else for them.

Well to be fair, she took responsibility for her actions (something so very un-templar like) and thinks it's correct, as she would set a really bad example for any other templar, which is kinda true.
Also if you would be on the council with these morons for 2 decades i can understand why she (or anyone) would feel glad to be free of them...

That being said, she would be a really good traitor, one which almost none would suspect, least the father. Thought i'd be curious for her motives, as i don't really see her as someone which would do it out of hate, or would do it forsome far fetched goal.
I'm lukewarm on Linnae overall, but I'm skeptical she's the traitor. Her input seems to be the best thing the Templars had going for them when the Grand Master was kidnapped, and there's no obvious reason for her to step unilaterally rather than wait for them to pass judgement on her in their own time (heaven knows how long that might take). If Linnae is a traitor, she must have a much more complicated agenda than just 'destroy Templars.' For example, if it turns out there's a grand conspiracy behind the MC's many 'hunches,' Linnae would be an obvious suspect. But merely trying to provoke a war between the Templars and Alfar? I don't see how that would fit her actions as we currently understand them.

As for her stepping down from the council, I can certainly understand why she'd be glad to be rid of them, but at the same time, it's hard to miss just how close they came to getting the Templars annihilated in less than a week when crisis struck. If Linnae is so devoted to the Templars she'd walk away from her family for them, you'd think she'd be more worried about who would succeed her.

Then again, she has to have considerably more faith in the Templars than I do. Maybe she assumes things will calm down with Robert back and her highly skilled replacement will have time to get up to speed. I certainly wouldn't put my money on it (even before seeing Chapter 5), but I'm not a fanatical Templar.

Yeah, the whole thing just feels intentionally deceiving, which isn't something they should be doing in the middle of a trust building exercise. Like... what are they even thinking at this point? Do they think they won't get caught? Again? That they can hide behind a technicality? I'm more confused about the motivations here than anything.

If they are trying to keep Elea safe, they would be watching her. And if they are watching her, they know we are (potentially) in a relationship with her. And they know we fed up with all the lies in our life. So the odds of us spilling the beans to her seem pretty high here, right? And wouldn't that come back to bite them in real big hurry?

The one thing I want most in the next update is a chance to sit down with Linnae and talk with her about our parents decisions. In particular, about how close we were to being killed because we didn't know the dangers around us. So far he's just upset at being lied to on a moral ground sort of argument, where I would like to expand this into a more practical viewpoint.

You ever see that Chernobyl mini-series? Where the one character talks about the cost of lies, and how every lie incurs a debt to the truth, and one day that debt will have to be paid? That's the sort of thing I want to see. Netfilx and chill with Linnae.

I understand that lies are a necessity when part of a secret organization. But you can't go around lying to everyone all the time. There needs to some sort of general rule about the difference between lying to outsiders and lying to those within the organization. How are we supposed to function if we can't believe anyone ever?
Indeed. To paraphrase The Sting: you can't play your friends like marks. The MC's parents clearly don't grasp that distinction, but I'd like to think Linnae does. I suppose time will tell.

Tremonia

Queen Lydia's bitch
Donor
Jun 14, 2020

Ceolag on Patreon said:
Hey everyone,

I'm back from vacation.

Everything was pretty good, and I had a bit of time to get my mind off of work and other things.
I did a bit more planning and writing while on vacation so I have a good base to start the "real" development of Chapter 6.
I'll start setting up the first renders for Chapter 6 this week and post the first Dev update on Friday.

Speaking of Friday...
It's also the day for the Steam Release.
It's been a long way and I never imagined that I'd do something like that when I started working on TNT.

I can't wait for Friday but I'll also be kinda relieved when it's done. It has been quite a lot of additional work and I'm happy when I can focus on developing the game again.

If you happen to buy the game on Steam and don't mind to review it, please do so.
It's vital to get to 10 reviews as soon as possible because that's the threshold for Steam to take the game "seriously" and start promoting it more. Everything below 10 reviews is considered "vaporware".
Have a nice weekend guys and read you on Friday.

Cheers,
Ceolag
For all the ones who hadn't wishlisted TNT on Steam now, .

4.40 star(s) 45 Votes