JMAH1R30

May 8, 2021
Yeah, I was just thinking about how that would work programming/path-wise, hence why I asked. Because, potentially, marking anything as "failed" runs the risk of the player missing content and it's hard to reconcile that and having something always be available.
I personally prefer if you can friend-zone some characters, due to realism. I'm not one to want to date more than one girl in a game. And I'm not shaming anyone for doing so, polyamorous relationships can work it just takes a lot of trust from each person in the relationship and towards each person in the relationship.

I'm a hopeless romantic so I like the slow burn and the build up...so this is my kind of game. And I really like the fact you CAN even friend-zone characters, or even remain partnerless. But I kind of hope the protagonist could have had the option to say 'I don't feel the same way as you' and not a variant of 'I need more time' because the latter is basically saying I have feelings for you but I'm not ready yet and the former says I want to be friends. If it blocks you out of a path for one or two girls because you said that, then that's fine to me.

But I get it, others may not feel the same as me and that's ok!

sleepingkirby

Aug 8, 2017
I personally prefer if you can friend-zone some characters, due to realism. I'm not one to want to date more than one girl in a game. And I'm not shaming anyone for doing so, polyamorous relationships can work it just takes a lot of trust from each person in the relationship and towards each person in the relationship.

I'm a hopeless romantic so I like the slow burn and the build up...so this is my kind of game. And I really like the fact you CAN even friend-zone characters, or even remain partnerless. But I kind of hope the protagonist could have had the option to say 'I don't feel the same way as you' and not a variant of 'I need more time' because the latter is basically saying I have feelings for you but I'm not ready yet and the former says I want to be friends. If it blocks you out of a path for one or two girls because you said that, then that's fine to me.

But I get it, others may not feel the same as me and that's ok!
Oh, I'm referring to logistically. Having the option to fail quests or choose a romantic relationship later doesn't prevent platonic relationships. It's an option, after all. But when you're talking about making a game, you want to make sure that, logistically, you don't deadlock what you don't want deadlocked. It's a fine line to walk between having something always available and locking someone out of content. Like, let's say you have a platonic relationship with Jean in chapter 1. You later pursue a romantic relationship in chapter 2. Are the romantic scenes/dialogue/events/etc. that you could have seen in chapter 1 forever gone? Are there scenes/dialogue/events/etc. that you can ONLY see if you start a romantic relationship in chapter 2? Are there scenes/events/dialogue/etc. that you can only see when you don't ever pursue a romantic relationship?
And while someone (players and/or developers) may prefer allowing someone to see/get all content in one playthrough, other's might want to feel the gravity of their decisions by having certain content unavailable due to it. And there's even a third option of having a type of relationship that's only available AFTER a certain point in time. But on the other hand, how fair would that be to players where that wasn't an option/a thing at all when that chapter wasn't available? Again, it's a fine line to walk and a lot of implications and possibilities either way.

Which is why I wrote that I'm looking forward to see what they decide.

Reactions: gart578

ShinyBoots1993

Apr 7, 2020
Yeah, I was just thinking about how that would work programming/path-wise, hence why I asked. Because, potentially, marking anything as "failed" runs the risk of the player missing content and it's hard to reconcile that and having something always be available.
I don't have a problem with a player missing content if they willfully choose not to participate in certain content.

What I was trying to say is that we will alter things somewhat because the girls aren't frozen in time. New platonic interactions are going to be popping up. Romance having a different tone as time passes only makes sense.

-Would it be possible to get an auto mode so I could just sit back and watch the story play out in a self insert kind of way without having to click to make the next text box appear each time?
This is an option in all renpy games to my knowledge.

-Also would it be possible to get a zoom option? I'd like to be closer to the girls if the character is trying to have a conversation with them rather than the current zoom level which is like talking to them from another side of a room.
Possibly. We're working with angles and stuff.

ShinyBoots1993

Apr 7, 2020
I personally prefer if you can friend-zone some characters, due to realism.
I've repeatedly requested that this be a feature but have been turned down each time.

But I kind of hope the protagonist could have had the option to say 'I don't feel the same way as you' and not a variant of 'I need more time' because the latter is basically saying I have feelings for you but I'm not ready yet and the former says I want to be friends. If it blocks you out of a path for one or two girls because you said that, then that's fine to me.
This is my reasoning.

Are the romantic scenes/dialogue/events/etc. that you could have seen in chapter 1 forever gone?
Yes.

Are there scenes/dialogue/events/etc. that you can ONLY see if you start a romantic relationship in chapter 2?
Yes.

Are there scenes/events/dialogue/etc. that you can only see when you don't ever pursue a romantic relationship?
Yes.

However, it's most likely gonna be variant dialogue.

There's a moment where Jean visits her parents. If we adapt that scene. She can either introduce you as a friend or as her boyfriend.

The dev team is not 100% decided on to what degree a player is likely to miss something.

I'm in full support of missing out on tons of content.

Replay ability.

There's plenty of "gallery mods" out there that can "fix" this "issue."

JMAH1R30

May 8, 2021
The dev team is not 100% decided on to what degree a player is likely to miss something.

Replay ability.

This is what I'm saying, If I want to just remain friends with a girl in order to pursue a relationship with one, for example in my current play-through atm it's Laura, it doesn't make sense if I just want to remain friends with rogue or Jean, and the character saying 'i need time' could just be an added element, yes, but there should be a 'I just want to be friends' button, and also as, idk about you or anyone else, but I feel like that button where the 'I need time' is is a little long imo...kind of a too long didn't read moment...I feel guilty about it as I respect a game that's certainly pretty solid with some lore and stuff like that, I read all that stuff in the games I play...however it's a whole unnecessary paragraph of text that can be summed up in a sentence or less...

Reactions: ShinyBoots1993

sleepingkirby

Aug 8, 2017
However, it's most likely gonna be variant dialogue.

There's a moment where Jean visits her parents. If we adapt that scene. She can either introduce you as a friend or as her boyfriend.

Replay ability.

Respect. It's a bold move. Doubly so if the game ends up needing a lot of time/grinding (pertaining to the replay-ability.). Though, a favor if it's okay. Ask RonChon that, when determining which dialogue variants depending on status, don't do a not conditional check, but rather a variable existence check. And, at the end of each possibility, don't do a jump but rather do a fall through. This way, I can (more easily) write into the cheat a way for people to see all possibilities if that's what they want. I'd completely understand if it's not possible. This is just me hoping.

I realize this is confusing if you're not a programmer. >.< So basically, not like this:
Code:
Me: "Some dialogue"
    if Laura.isChapterOneRomantic:
        Laura: "I'm the best at what I do"
        jump ContinueDialoge
    else if NOT Laura.isChapterOneRomantic:
        Laura: "What I do is stalk you"
        jump ContinueDialogue

Label ContinueDialogue
And more like this:
Code:
    if Laura.isChapterTwoRomantic:
jump ContinueDialogue

Label ContinueDialogue
(small coding rant. I was gonna write that in an switch statement but python didn't have switch statements until fairly recently)

Last edited:

Mikail24

Feb 23, 2021
This would give the game further replay value while we wait for updates, I'd be totally down for replaying a game if there are scenes or dialogue I missed out on because I wanted to play a certain run. Like if I only want Rogue and reject everyone else, it would be neat if I'm kinda rewarded for it (a secret sex scene, a gift, a new pet name, or even outfit that is only exclusive for those who stuck to that one girl). Each chapter the reward could be different. It won't block you out of the other content, but you'd be free to be friends with the other candidates without having to constantly have romance dialogue if you opt out of it.

JMAH1R30

May 8, 2021
it would be neat if I'm kinda rewarded for it (a secret sex scene, a gift, a new pet name, or even outfit that is only exclusive for those who stuck to that one girl). Each chapter the reward could be different. It won't block you out of the other content, but you'd be free to be friends with the other candidates without having to constantly have romance dialogue if you opt out of it.
This is such a good idea. Secret dialogue and rewards for a doing a one character only run is such an amazing idea. I absolutely f*ck with it.

ronchonbon

Game Developer
Jul 18, 2019
Respect. It's a bold move. Doubly so if the game ends up needing a lot of time/grinding (pertaining to the replay-ability.). Though, a favor if it's okay. Ask RonChon that, when determining which dialogue variants depending on status, don't do a not conditional check, but rather a variable existence check. And, at the end of each possibility, don't do a jump but rather do a fall through. This way, I can (more easily) write into the cheat a way for people to see all possibilities if that's what they want. I'd completely understand if it's not possible. This is just me hoping.

I realize this is confusing if you're not a programmer. >.< So basically, not like this:
Code:
        jump ContinueDialoge
        jump ContinueDialogue

Label ContinueDialogue
And more like this:
Code:
    if Laura.isChapterTwoRomantic:
jump ContinueDialogue

Label ContinueDialogue
(small coding rant. I was gonna write that in an switch statement but python didn't have switch statements until fairly recently)
I'm sorry to disappoint but I'm unlikely to make the first modification - it's a pretty major code overhaul (there are probably already ~1000 conditional statements gating dialogue/scenes) and change in my coding logic for something that I think would be a niche interest. it's also just not efficient, elif and else save so much time and space

I rarely use jumps, I think I basically only use them in the prologue/first few linear days or for core sandbox labels. I do make liberal use of calls in the middle of events to keep code clean

sleepingkirby

Aug 8, 2017
I'm sorry to disappoint but I'm unlikely to make the first modification - it's a pretty major code overhaul (there are probably already ~1000 conditional statements gating dialogue/scenes) and change in my coding logic for something that I think would be a niche interest. it's also just not efficient, elif and else save so much time and space

I rarely use jumps, I think I basically only use them in the prologue/first few linear days or for core sandbox labels. I do make liberal use of calls in the middle of events to keep code clean
The first modification? If you mean:

Code:
        jump ContinueDialoge
        jump ContinueDialogue

Label ContinueDialogue
That's what I'm asking *NOT* to be done.

But yeah, I completely understand if it's not possible. I'd just like to clarify that I didn't mean to imply that all past code and past dialogue variants be refactored nor did I mean literal jumps. It's just there to illustrate the fall through aspect within conditionals as many games try to tuck in early termination in conditional blocks. Which, in theory, is a good thing as if-else statements, at the machine level, still does a comparison twice (once at the if and once at the else) and with early termination, you only check the condition once.

BitesZaDusto

Jul 4, 2017
While all costumes are on the table. She'd be based off of her comic appearances.
As someone who's been advocating for Wanda in RLE for years it would've been interesting to see her a version similar to her Evo variation appear in this game, but as someone who was a big fan of Wolverine and The X-Men and her in it, which is closer to her comic counterpart, I've no qualms about a more comic focused variation for her as well. The characters in the game seem to be handled well enough so far that I can't really lose with either direction.

We view them as a fusion of the two. Jean especially leaning more into comics.
When you say this, do you mean Jean's personality leaning more into the comics? Because her default everyday outfit is the same her Evo outfit.

Mar 18, 2019
Funnily enough, I drop most of the games UNLESS they provide the ability to miss content. Otherwise, they are kinetic novels, not games.

My usual modus operandi is always to try to get rid of the gf/wife or whatever LI devs usually love to force upon you, and if the game doesn't have that option it instantly gets downgraded or dropped entirely.

The other thing I try to do is skip all the sex scenes and see how far that can go.

After those test are done I actually go play the game in a way I would actually do the choices if I could, and then get a gallery mod to see what I missed, which is usually a lot because I always terminate any relationship that starts getting the feelings involved.

However, story trumps all of those.

• Haha
Reactions: Crichton1

Maddeninggg

Mar 19, 2019
You can definitely miss content in TNH, stuff like optional events, sandbox stuff, relationship events, etc. The difference is with relationships, you're never locked out permanently. With how we plan on progressing the story and developing the characters, we want to allow players the freedom to choose when and where they approach different girls. You might not like a girl in her introductory chapter, so you don't date her, but then she goes through development and you might change your mind for example. We want there to be consequences for your actions, but I don't feel like forcing the player to start dating a girl within a certain timeframe otherwise they're permanently locked out for 5+ more chapters is a good use of resources and dev time.

If you do date a girl later rather than sooner, you would effectively be missing out on stuff because things would play out differently than if you dated her right away.

4.60 star(s) 147 Votes