ronchonbon

Game Developer
Jul 18, 2019
If you change your focus to the comics not only will the art style fit better, you'd be distancing yourself from Oni comparisons and you'd be able to grab a lot of other X-gals that don't fit Evolution's tone or style
Huh, that's a really good suggestion. And gives me some very helpful guidance on what to aim for for the UI redesign. You're absolutely right that we've strayed so far from the show that it makes no sense to aim for that aesthetic anymore.

Thank you!!

leugim

Dec 30, 2017
Funny that, since this game is exactly the copy of Rogue-Like, same code and everything for the most part, only difference being is the art style which doesn't look all that great and it's more or less unplayable and more broken than the current working version of Rogue Like.

Imitation can be a form of praise, however, if your copying a game word for word, code for code, and trying to make a some profit or get some money from said project, news flash!, thats infringement. Had this stayed as a mod and not been made out to be a "stand alone" then there would be no issue.

In short, I highly suspect word is gonna get to Oni in the next few days or so and he is gonna request a cease and decist. Even withsome noticable changes, there is too much copy covered from the original game that risks that.

But hey, if Ron can actual make the game work and not get Oni to fill a possible lawsuit, more power to him. Though from what I've seen and played, I'm not that impressed and have a lot of doubts on that regard.
yes we know its a copy m8, we didnt really need you to tell us that, thats not the point, the point is why would you care? is it your project thats being copied? are you prevented to enjoy it because this one exist? what? I don't get it... why do you feel the need to come here bash this?
If Oni cares about being copied, and he would be a greedy fool if he did, he got way more money than his projected deserved already, especially considering how old it is, he can speak and act for himself, assuming that like you say he can, and I highly doubt that.

If you dont want it, stay in rogue like, nothing is stopping you or pissing on your parade, why do you need to come here and piss on people interested? or the devs?
what is here for you to feel threatened with?

I wonder... did you also take the piss of the expanded mod when it became standalone? it actually was more of a copy than this you know...

Last edited:

ShinyBoots1993

Apr 7, 2020
so laggy it's completely unplayable

becomes unresponsive for 30 seconds if you click any buttons
It was mentioned earlier in the thread that this was an unstable alpha. Considering this is a pirate site, I'm not even sure if it was intentionally uploaded by the creator.

care to answer this? I missed it if you did, but it’s honestly the biggest question in the thread
Going off the summary and comments by the author in regard to direction, I don't think an obedience route would make sense since there is a linear narrative planned.

SerHawkes

Engaged Member
Oct 29, 2017
yes we know its a copy m8, we didnt really need you to tell us that, thats not the point, the point is why would you care? is it your project thats being copied? are you prevented to enjoy it because this one exist? what? I don't get it... why do you feel the need to come here bash this?
If Oni cares about being copied, and he would be a greedy fool if he did, he got way more money than his projected deserved already, especially considering how old it is, he can speak and act for himself, assuming that like you say he can, and I highly doubt that.

If you dont want it, stay in rogue like, nothing is stopping you or pissing on your parade, why do you need to come here and piss on people interested? or the devs?
what is here for you to feel threatened with?

I wonder... did you also take the piss of the expanded mod when it became standalone? it actually was more of a copy than this you know...
Didn't use any of the mods, mostly because they didn't look all that interesting. That said, you clearly must be new here when it comes to critic on things. There are those, like yourself, who will be entire kiss asses and simps at the devs balls, hoping for praise/ those who will trash the game entirely and hate it/ and those are kinda in the middle. Me? I'm just one who speaks my mind in a brutal honest fashion and say it like it is. And I did just that. I'm just pointing out the facts of things as things stand currently. If they change for the better, then so be it. If not, then so be it.

SerHawkes

Engaged Member
Oct 29, 2017
Dang. Yeah I totally blanked on this lol. Not the most memorable depiction of the character when compared to bright yellow trench coat and vampire :LOL:
No kidding. I like her current version. Perky tits and loves oral waaaaaaay too much. Should be more a succubus than a vampy.

leugim

Dec 30, 2017
Didn't use any of the mods, mostly because they didn't look all that interesting. That said, you clearly must be new here when it comes to critic on things. There are those, like yourself, who will be entire kiss asses and simps at the devs balls, hoping for praise/ those who will trash the game entirely and hate it/ and those are kinda in the middle. Me? I'm just one who speaks my mind in a brutal honest fashion and say it like it is. And I did just that. I'm just pointing out the facts of things as things stand currently. If they change for the better, then so be it. If not, then so be it.
The irony of you calling me a simp... what exactly are you doing here if not white knight'ing for rogue-like?

look its obvious that you are very passionate about rogue-like, prly why you are being a total dick about this, but take a breather, that hate is uncalled for, just stick to what you care about and let others do the same without pissing on them.
Personally I'd like to think Oni is a cool guy who is happy with hi project and what he earned from it and is happy that someone loved it so much that they copied it and is trying to make it better or different, maybe not, but again, why do YOU have to speak on his behalf?
Just speak for yourself, say you "find the project uninteresting cuz its just a copy with different art" or whatever, and move on, no need to flame or bash people that don't share your opinion, cuz frankly makes you look like a git and fouls the mood for everyone else

ItsFreeTime

Dec 8, 2020
Wow the thread rly is burning with copy claims :LOL: no need to be rude or throwing insults

I see no wrong on doing a mod out of a game, but not even mentioning the original creator, his approval or giving a link to the original game seems... Shady.
Anyone not knowing the original (which is getting old, so high chance), will see this and think its a brand new project out of the blue. Which is wrong, some devs will not care at all but thats not the majority.

Now, im currently following a BBS mod: https://f95zone.to/threads/bad-bobby-saga-dark-path-v0-15-46-test-version-ziptiefun.130448/
This guy is rewriting code, adding new scenes and stories, and has a patreon. Still, the name is not "Project Dark Path", or "3 girls 1 douche", but "BBS:dark path".

Because it is a MOD, as this one is, and refusing to accept that just gives some malicious vibes :LOL:

Last edited:

ronchonbon

Game Developer
Jul 18, 2019
Because it is a MOD, as this one is, and refusing to accept that just gives some malicious vibes :LOL:
It was not my intent to be malicious or shady, and I'm sorry that those are the vibes. But I do disagree, this is no longer a mod. I'm working with Jinp now to distinguish the story more, and I'm going to follow the suggestions in this thread to change the UI up.

Other than that, I really don't know what to tell you other than to wait and see what the game actually turns into.

rieyn

Oct 9, 2018
Based on this thread, changing the UI sounds like a good suggestion. I haven't paid it much thought until now, it seemed functional and I didn't foresee people having a problem with it.

It's just me working on the code, and I unfortunately don't have much experience with UI. I'll try tinkering around with some other options.
I could be very cynical here, but this among all of your replies says something meaningful to me. I can empathize with the idea that modding the source is too much of a hassle when you have ideas of your own that you want to run with.

But the sooner you cut all ties with the source, however insignificant, the better for your own project to be taken seriously on its own. If there is anything which can be called plagarism even in the most obtuse of terms, your project is always going to remain under a shadow cast by the other game.

Put simply, if your intent is to do what he's doing but better, there's no need to be using anything of his.

ronchonbon

Game Developer
Jul 18, 2019
Ron Chon, your biggest mistake is requesting to open this thread without a more stable version is ready. When I see the thread, I thought there was a better version. You should have continued from Chonky Mod thread until PR was more presentable.
No argument here. We live and we learn.

Put simply, if your intent is to do what he's doing but better, there's no need to be using anything of his.
These are wise words. I made the mistake of being lazy and allowing Oni dialogue and scenes in, not realizing that it would spur so much anger. I was so focused on using original art that I didn't think how the rest would be seen. I'll be more mindful from now on.

Obsidion69

Jun 16, 2018
So it's obviously something of a rip-off of Rogue-Like given the dev notes straight up say it started out as a Rogue-Like mod. That said if you read the expanded description clearly they have plans to make it something more than what Rogue-Like currently or ever seems likely to offer. In other words ya it's always gonna be similar to Rogue-Like but hopefully it will eventually be different enough to shake off the label of rip-off or at least be more than just an alternative art pack with a different executable.

leugim

Dec 30, 2017
Here is how it is simply: MC is rescued, has nulling powers, similar context and interactions to the original game, not to mention meetings with the MC (Laura and the Training Area). Now who did this first? Oni did. Therefore, Oni 'owns' the perverbal rights to this story and game.

NOW, lets say that for Ron here, copied the game and story itself, which there is no disputing he did, made some changes prior to the release of this, say instead of the addiction perk that was taken away and instead of use being rescued the MC was enrolling to the Mansion and instead of nulling someones powers through touch it was a pulse wave from our hands, and other styled changes that didn't mirror the original game in both dialogue and style. THEN there wouldn't be a likely hood of a possible copy right issue as there would be changes from the original that would differ.
sounds like you have constructive ideas to give to this Dev... you could, if you change your mind about trying this out, give more of those.
They are much better received than the "brutally honest legalities", I really don't think you should worry about those, IF Oni does have copyright privileges and IF he does want to be greedy, he will have good lawyers for it, he sure can afford them

4.60 star(s) 147 Votes