ItsFreeTime

Dec 8, 2020
Congratulations to all the snarky, high and mighty, hateful comments from our dear pirates in our dear pirating forum. Hey, don't even dare to tell me that you're not a pirate and you're just browsing the forum, I'm watching you! Once a pirate always a pirate! You completed another course for "how to kill a dev in one day" with top marks. But looks like Ron Chon still has some lives left... :p

Here's what happened in very short (feel free to correct wrong info):

A guy decides to mod Rogue Like to be more fun than the original, starts creating Chonky Mod with some other guys and he starts paying some artists for game art from his own pocket. Then he gets into disagreement, conflict or whatever it's and quits Chonky Mod team, then decides to create a similar game based on RL, Project Redacted. He specifically said that patreon account is for paying the artists doing the game art, not for trying be rich or scamming people. If there are money in Patreon then there will be more art and it will be much faster. (But looks like he also shut down the Patreon after the crucifixion.)

He goes silent for some time, so we start thinking that the project is dead. Then unexpectedly he returns with some good news saying that he's still working on the game and decides to open a new thread for the game. But probably what he didn't expect is also gates of hell is unlocked:

- An uploader says that there were discussions about stolen art for this game, then he adds that "evidence" was deleted and no one else brings any proof of what that stolen art might be or is it even real. Neither uploader nor any other says if there are any truth to stolen art thingy or any actual proof...
- mocking...
- blaming...
- harassing...
- threatening...

you know, the usual, embracing a new dev.

I believe Ron Chon was sincere from the beginning and was not trying to con people or trying to earn money from this, he probably made some mistakes, don't know the details much. Seen some guys hating him or whatever. I still believe he's sincere and was trying to create something fun and better than Oni's work while using it's as a base.

BTW I have no idea who he really is, he's just an anon like everybody else, he can be a serial killer or even a politician... So be careful...

Ron Chon, your biggest mistake is requesting to open this thread without a more stable version is ready. When I see the thread, I thought there was a better version. You should have continued from Chonky Mod thread until PR was more presentable.

And about people claiming that Oni can sue this dev, I really would like to see that. Because he then may open the gates of actual copyright hell for himself by waking the devil.

That's all. Is he a con artist or is he trying to make something fun? Is he a shitty coder or is he the next John Carmack? Do you want an improved version of Oni's work or do you want to suffer for years while waiting? Can't decide? At least give him some time to proove himself or make a fool of himself.
I agree that it escalated way faster than it deserved :LOL:

But someone like me, who has no idea about all that background you posted and finds this... What am I supposed to think after seeing the title, description, and giving it a go?

I will not start asking for a witchunt or claiming to be a lawyer, but I will share the thoughts other less polite and lets say "Judgmental" users of this forum have already posted.
And guess what, you just jumped on that same boat with the accusations in your post. Only difference is that your throwing them the opposite side.

In short, I wish the best for the project and the dev, but theres something about it (right now), that made a lot of people react this way. Maybe they have a point.

Aug 9, 2021
I dont understand people complaining about copying, literally every fucking game about Harry Potter (Witch Trainer, Innocent Witches, etc.) Naruto (10000 new games every week) Teen Titans, OW, Pokemon, DC or Marvel is a copy of another incomplete or abandoned game, fap or go take a shower.
Ron might take his time on this but giving some competition for Oni maybe make his lazy ass work straight for once

Reactions: Insomnimaniac Games
Nov 28, 2018
If Ronchon can deliver on a game where I can corrupt/manipulate girls that just so happens to be similar to Rogue-Like then he's welcome to try on deliver "Rogue-Like but good". Hell, I wouldn't even mind if he took some of Oni's earnings while he's at it, assuming he delivers quality product. This entire thread is result of Ronchon being too hasty and too confident about just entering and instantly assuming that everyone will turn away from original in favor of this. I'm all behind this for one, but your average f95 user (who, let's face it, isn't a very sharp tool in a shed to the point where his presence in said shed is questionable) may not be if you come in with glitchy mess that just happens to look pretty because, to reiterate, average person won't jump on it while Rogue-Like is already technically serviceable. You will still have people believing in Oni unless Ronchon makes impossible happen and makes Rogue-Like good. He just has to abandon shackles of original while keeping the concept the same. It's not too much to ask considering that there is ridiculous amount of Summertime Saga clones which don't get shit on for being clones and some even make money.

I wish you luck Ronchon, hoping you'll power through this initial release backlash because you've got something good going on, you just got to be semi-smart about it.

captcha69

Apr 12, 2021
come on white knights, at least be real or play the fking game before posting. Go play rogue like and then this game, word for word, even the Laura Joke is there, give us a break, dont u have an only fans model to defend somewhere?
And for me this is frustrating more than anything, the guy have some skills and even pay for some art, that look prety damn good, and then he goes and fk up with something like that? like, the story in rogue like wasnt even good or relevant, why do u want to copy that? if he want, he can just keep MC powers, and start from there, the intro was a nice change.

GeezG

Dec 1, 2019
So is everyone joking about the dragon lady, or is that actually Emma's design in this one?

Demoman Dan

Nov 22, 2017
I just don't care that the game is copying another game. Rogue Like Evolution art is so-so, oni is slow with updating the game and he treats the game as hobby. I remember oni saying that in pateron post. Just copy most of the game, add better sex scenes and romance with the girls. I would like to get the girlfriend experience with each of the girls. Oni doesn't own the X-men IP.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grelk

Crichton

Aug 5, 2018
I can get their numbers but how do i call them? has flirting been implemented? do i have to use the debug stuff to raise stats at all?

quiboune

Sep 2, 2018
Going off the summary and comments by the author in regard to direction, I don't think an obedience route would make sense since there is a linear narrative planned.
This doesn't make any sense. A linear narrative would not conflict with a corruption path of sorts. In fact, the existence of a driving force in the form of an emergency would fit extremely well with a character that can block someone else's powers at will. Laura, for example, would be DESPERATE if her powers stopped working right before an important mission.

I know you're speculating so don't take my disagreement too harshly, I'm just really hoping you're wrong because if your guess is right I'll skip this game altogether.

Shorsey

Jun 3, 2017
its very funny (and kind of sad) to see people mad about copyrights in a pirate site, if yall care and are so righteous about that you would not be here :rolleyes::LOL::ROFLMAO:
If a game get's uploaded here, the dev will always be properly credited with links to their patreon/subscribestar/whatever.

This dude straight up copied another game, slapped different paint job onto it and then claimed it to be HIS OWN GAME.

Also a lot of people are not here just because they don't wanna pay. You can't get a refund on patreon, so if you don't like a game, well too bad, money is gone. Here i can at least take a look before paying. And if it's on Steam, it won't be available in most countries.

MrJay

Apr 21, 2017
Okay so RL:E is one of my favorite games and probably the one I've played the most, and when I saw the devs self-review on this game I knew this was worth keeping an eye on. Maybe not try just yet, but I'll come back to this.

I have to say, just looking at the screenshots, it's looking VERY promising. My ONLY gripe would be that I assume that's supposed to be Emma Frost, but Emma Frost looking like Daenerys from GOT doesn't work for me at all, that's just not how she looks. She's also supposed to be pretty tall at 5'10, only really surpassed among other girls, at least ones in the scope of this game, by Storm who's at 5'11.

But again, just to reiterate, good work so far with the visuals as far as I can see from the screenshots, that's really looking great and it's a very ambitious project, I really hope and wish it to succeed and grow. Idk if the game will have animations but if it will and they will be even near the quality of the stills of the girls, this is going to be a banger of historic proportions.

ronchonbon

Game Developer
Jul 18, 2019
This dude straight up copied another game, slapped different paint job onto it and then claimed it to be HIS OWN GAME.
I started out playing Oni's Rogue-Like. I really liked it, but I thought it could be better. I joined a modding Discord for it and started a total rewrite of the game, meant as a mod that you could play standalone so that it wouldn't break with every new update. We called it ChonkyMod.

Eventually, slogging through the original game's code got tiresome, and I realized I really didn't like a lot of the original art. So I thought, what the hell, I'll pay for artists to make new art. And while we're at it, I'll change the game to fit my vision of a more interesting trainer game with story and more of a focus on character development rather than Rogue-Like's gameplay loop. Someone else came up with the name Project [Redacted], and I liked it enough to roll with it.

Excited about this new project and thinking that others would be into this idea as well, I wrote a little description of it and started uploading preview builds so people could mess around with the new art, the 16:9 aspect ratio, etc. I also created a Patreon so that people could contribute to the game's development, since I'm just paying for everything out of my graduate student stipend. I had no illusions of making money off of this game - I don't intend to expose myself legally, and frankly I don't need the added pressure to be productive when this is just a passion project for me.

Progress on this new project had been slow while I focused on the art direction. Laura was the first character we designed, then Rogue. I'm not a very good writer and found myself working on the project alone, so I used Oni's dialogue to introduce the characters. This was a mistake, but it was laziness while looking for placeholders, not evil intent.

This all was going fine until two days ago, when I discovered that there was a thread here about ChonkyMod where people had started discussing Project [Redacted] as well and, predictably, claiming it was dead. One of the preview builds was up and obviously very buggy. So I chimed in to explain the situation. Since the original thread seemed to be confusing people and I wanted to clarify that I was no longer working on ChonkyMod, and since the cat seemed out-of-the-bag now that an .exe of the Project [Redacted] was up here, I requested that we start a new thread properly labeled as a new game project. My hope was that it would be a place where I could share news about the project for anyone who thought it sounded fun.

That's how we got here today.

I never attempted to market this game as anything but a project spun off from and inspired by a mod of Rogue-Like - it's very plain to see, I've made no attempt to hide it. I never claimed to have come up with any of these ideas. I never intended for this to be any kind of official release or announcement of the game. I don't care about competing with Rogue-Like. I just wanted to work on a project that I thought was fun and share it with others who, like me, wanted to explore the premise of Rogue-Like more fully. I've always been very open about what my intentions and vision for this project were, and I stupidly assumed that the paper trail of my posts here and on Patreon were clear enough to convey that.

4.60 star(s) 147 Votes