mooselato

Mar 5, 2022
weird that people are calling oni an asshole because hes taking his time to make a *free* game. Also if his codes apparently awful the amount of issues here feels similar. Happy for this game being made but it feels weird people are going after Oni because of it

GeezG

Dec 1, 2019
Literally unplayable. Your code can't be any better than Oni's.
EDIT: You should've just made peace with a shitty older build getting passed around, and held off on making this thread until you had a playable build. People wouldn't have time to post complaints if they actually had a game they could play.

Reactions: Frankston

ronchonbon

Game Developer
Jul 18, 2019
Literally unplayable. Your code can't be any better than Oni's.
EDIT: You should've just made peace with a shitty older build getting passed around, and held off on making this thread until you had a playable build. People wouldn't have time to post complaints if they actually had a game they could play.
Yeah, I can see that now. I had hoped people would appreciate that it was just an early preview of a project and not a game release.

Your earlier question: no, it's definitely not Emma's design. It's meant to be Daenerys, it's just a fun extra character I had commissioned at some point. She's not part of the core game.

UnoriginalUserName

Engaged Member
Sep 3, 2017
Yep, having the exact same issue as shiroyuk and kostello. Saving, loading, and transitions take progressively longer and longer until it's unplayable.
I also got that Laura shower error sequence, although it only seems to happen when she's "humming" for whatever reason. Just showering with her doesn't cause any issues.
Also had a funny sequence happen after the shower where she showed up to class naked, then got dressed and was like "Sup" as if nothing happened.

Assuming this ever becomes playable, what girls are currently available? I know Laura and Rogue are...anyone else? Art's pretty good although it's a shame there apparently aren't any animations (yet?).

Oh, and if I might make a suggestion, make it so the quick menu thing in the bottom right is always there instead of having it disappear when certain menu things are open. Shit's annoying.

Rodjrgr

Jul 26, 2018
it didn't hold 5 min without crashing the shit out of my pc, but i'm looking foward to this. really nice art, just need to fix ""some"" issues with the code

Reactions: vireker

GeezG

Dec 1, 2019
Yeah, I can see that now. I had hoped people would appreciate that it was just an early preview of a project and not a game release.

Your earlier question: no, it's definitely not Emma's design. It's meant to be Daenerys, it's just a fun extra character I had commissioned at some point. She's not part of the core game.
While that is fair, it's also fair of people to expect a playable build when a thread gets made here. People tend to roast the first few builds of each Rogue-like update too for the same reason. Then when a more stable build gets released, the complaints fade, because everyone's too busy playing.

For what it's worth, I'm at least glad to hear that that isn't Emma.

Reactions: Testerguy19

Testerguy19

Nov 11, 2018
Ok have to check this new thread now--I would not recommend anyone to play beyond 0.3b despite the good art and its initial release, it's still buggy. Even with the number of issues at hand I'm not saying playtesters shouldn't get to see what it's like or what they can't do, but since Chonky Mod is still miles away from being finished I would give it a year until a good version of the product itself.

You might just play the original RLE because I smell a small Christmas update if possible.

Reactions: Lerd0

allanl9020142

Aug 23, 2018
Congratulations to all the snarky, high and mighty, hateful comments from our dear pirates in our dear pirating forum. Hey, don't even dare to tell me that you're not a pirate and you're just browsing the forum, I'm watching you! Once a pirate always a pirate! You completed another course for "how to kill a dev in one day" with top marks. But looks like Ron Chon still has some lives left... :p

Here's what happened in very short (feel free to correct wrong info):

A guy decides to mod Rogue Like to be more fun than the original, starts creating Chonky Mod with some other guys and he starts paying some artists for game art from his own pocket. Then he gets into disagreement, conflict or whatever it's and quits Chonky Mod team, then decides to create a similar game based on RL, Project Redacted. He specifically said that patreon account is for paying the artists doing the game art, not for trying be rich or scamming people. If there are money in Patreon then there will be more art and it will be much faster. (But looks like he also shut down the Patreon after the crucifixion.)

He goes silent for some time, so we start thinking that the project is dead. Then unexpectedly he returns with some good news saying that he's still working on the game and decides to open a new thread for the game. But probably what he didn't expect is also gates of hell is unlocked:

- An uploader says that there were discussions about stolen art for this game, then he adds that "evidence" was deleted and no one else brings any proof of what that stolen art might be or is it even real. Neither uploader nor any other says if there are any truth to stolen art thingy or any actual proof...
- mocking...
- blaming...
- harassing...
- threatening...

you know, the usual, embracing a new dev.

I believe Ron Chon was sincere from the beginning and was not trying to con people or trying to earn money from this, he probably made some mistakes, don't know the details much. Seen some guys hating him or whatever. I still believe he's sincere and was trying to create something fun and better than Oni's work while using it's as a base.

BTW I have no idea who he really is, he's just an anon like everybody else, he can be a serial killer or even a politician... So be careful...

Ron Chon, your biggest mistake is requesting to open this thread without a more stable version is ready. When I see the thread, I thought there was a better version. You should have continued from Chonky Mod thread until PR was more presentable.

And about people claiming that Oni can sue this dev, I really would like to see that. Because he then may open the gates of actual copyright hell for himself by waking the devil.

That's all. Is he a con artist or is he trying to make something fun? Is he a shitty coder or is he the next John Carmack? Do you want an improved version of Oni's work or do you want to suffer for years while waiting? Can't decide? At least give him some time to proove himself or make a fool of himself.
THE ONE PIECE IS REAAAAAAAAAAL!

rickpool98

Dec 11, 2017
I started out playing Oni's Rogue-Like. I really liked it, but I thought it could be better. I joined a modding Discord for it and started a total rewrite of the game, meant as a mod that you could play standalone so that it wouldn't break with every new update. We called it ChonkyMod.

Eventually, slogging through the original game's code got tiresome, and I realized I really didn't like a lot of the original art. So I thought, what the hell, I'll pay for artists to make new art. And while we're at it, I'll change the game to fit my vision of a more interesting trainer game with story and more of a focus on character development rather than Rogue-Like's gameplay loop. Someone else came up with the name Project [Redacted], and I liked it enough to roll with it.

Excited about this new project and thinking that others would be into this idea as well, I wrote a little description of it and started uploading preview builds so people could mess around with the new art, the 16:9 aspect ratio, etc. I also created a Patreon so that people could contribute to the game's development, since I'm just paying for everything out of my graduate student stipend. I had no illusions of making money off of this game - I don't intend to expose myself legally, and frankly I don't need the added pressure to be productive when this is just a passion project for me.

Progress on this new project had been slow while I focused on the art direction. Laura was the first character we designed, then Rogue. I'm not a very good writer and found myself working on the project alone, so I used Oni's dialogue to introduce the characters. This was a mistake, but it was laziness while looking for placeholders, not evil intent.

This all was going fine until two days ago, when I discovered that there was a thread here about ChonkyMod where people had started discussing Project [Redacted] as well and, predictably, claiming it was dead. One of the preview builds was up and obviously very buggy. So I chimed in to explain the situation. Since the original thread seemed to be confusing people and I wanted to clarify that I was no longer working on ChonkyMod, and since the cat seemed out-of-the-bag now that an .exe of the Project [Redacted] was up here, I requested that we start a new thread properly labeled as a new game project. My hope was that it would be a place where I could share news about the project for anyone who thought it sounded fun.

That's how we got here today.

I never attempted to market this game as anything but a project spun off from and inspired by a mod of Rogue-Like - it's very plain to see, I've made no attempt to hide it. I never claimed to have come up with any of these ideas. I never intended for this to be any kind of official release or announcement of the game. I don't care about competing with Rogue-Like. I just wanted to work on a project that I thought was fun and share it with others who, like me, wanted to explore the premise of Rogue-Like more fully. I've always been very open about what my intentions and vision for this project were, and I stupidly assumed that the paper trail of my posts here and on Patreon were clear enough to convey that.
this exact same thing happenes to sunset the build gets delayed and eveyone starts complaning about the game being a money grab. I'm not going to call people trolls and pirates but i will say that some of you are not acting like adults. And i wanted to ask how can we support the game the patreon is no longer there you shouldent have to pay for everything out of poket not with the way the ecomony is going. Btw the art looks kick ass do the artests do comissions i would like some of that action

Syliar

Jul 21, 2017
You should probably finish gutting the UI of my assets as well, amusingly the speech bubbles and menu buttons still have the specific style I made them in. This is still based on my UI overhaul for Rogue-Like, assets that were a universal mod for Rogue-Like and that you voluntarily revoked your licence to use (I can provide direct evidence of this). Even the game name isn't original to you, given when the team was trying to come up with a name Project Redacted was my idea. Still, it's nice to see you've made the changes to Rogue that you raged over the feedback for and tossed everyone aside to not make. Which as a reminder, even though I wanted some of those changes I also defended it being an early preview of her and not her final image.

You do still need to get the hair guy to stop using flesh tones for shadow shading on the hair, it's highly obvious on Laura as the ends of her hair have flesh tone shading that sticks out a bit over clothing. Still, it's amusing to see how you claimed not to have released anything and then explained that you were the one posting your own preview builds (which is a release). Plus honestly with how buggy your current releases are this is exactly part of why we got so annoyed, you skip team review and feedback. After all you and your wallet are god, doesn't matter what anyone else makes they get zero ability to have any right to feedback or influence on the art. But I digress.

Remove the last of my assets, probably consider a name change for the project and best of luck.

Last edited:

Ligth

Jul 23, 2019
This dude straight up copied another game, slapped different paint job onto it and then claimed it to be HIS OWN GAME.
That's why it's good to read the Spoilers, it started as a Mod, and now it's been uploaded as a separate game, we should wait longer to see if it's just going to be a Rogue evolution with another artistic style or if it will have its own news

and although the person who uploaded the game here linked a Patreon, it is not really a Creator account

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

SolidusEvol

Mar 7, 2018
Great Project only Bugs i had was that the Ui looks too zoomed in and the backgrounds are cut in half idk if its just my widescreen monitor but other then that i played through it and liked it

4.60 star(s) 147 Votes