• Search is back up, but the index is being rebuilt, there may still be some minor problems until this is complete.

drifter139

Dec 11, 2019
Doesn't the close range nullification only come into effect when he focuses on it, as displayed during the training with Jean?

All the other showings of his nullification require touch, aside from the showings during training.

This is of course unless i missed something and the nullification within 2 feet unless he suppresses it is his default state now?
in that example of training with Jean, he was focusing on trying to turn it off instead of keeping it on. the whole touch thing seems to be more related to Rogue since her power requires physical touch to work

Reactions: Mutation8888
May 5, 2022
in that example of training with Jean, he was focusing on trying to turn it off instead of keeping it on. the whole touch thing seems to be more related to Rogue since her power requires physical touch to work
I don't agree, as far as i can see, most seem to believe that Nulls Nullification(and i agree based on what i recall from the game), as in to nullify another's mutant power entirely, requires touch contact. This can be seen in responses to more recent posts with scenarios, one example here concerned colossus and Magneto has been mentioned in similar scenarios on the Discord.

Mutation8888

Jun 15, 2022
Doesn't the close range nullification only come into effect when he focuses on it, as displayed during the training with Jean?

All the other showings of his nullification require touch, aside from the showings during training.

This is of course unless i missed something and the nullification within 2 feet unless he suppresses it is his default state now?
Null's nullification defaults to a two foot range if someone is trying to target him with a directed power. Like when Jean is telekinetically pushing objects at him, her power was unable to continue controlling them within 2 feet of him unless he concentrated to turn it off as drifter139 indicated. This would occur with something like Scott's eyebeams as well, however, side effects, like air concussion and plasma from super heated air would still hit Null even though the full effect of the eyebeams could not. In the case of Mystique's power, it may be affected by contact since it is not directed or dangerous itself at a range. The two foot range is probably Null's power trying to keep ranged mutant abilities from hitting him, but it has a seriously limited radius. Now if only Jean has practiced with Null on extending the range of his power, it might become even more useful after all (if it is possible to extend it, which the radius seems to indicate is possible to some degree).

The way his powers are working for now is that they seem to act as a form of reactive danger sense that morphs into whatever may protect him better. It is only partially controlled on a conscious level, so it is only able to be directed to take on new qualities when he is danger and thinking about a way to alleviate or overcome that danger. His actual power does seem to be a form of power manipulation on himself that is primarily defensive. Of course it could still simply be that nullification is not really his power and is only the first power he simulated (possibly from a random mutant with nullification he touched at college), or that he actually does have reality manipulation and does not know how to control it yet.

Reactions: drone4of2

drifter139

Dec 11, 2019
I don't agree, as far as i can see, most seem to believe that Nulls Nullification(and i agree based on what i recall from the game), as in to nullify another's mutant power entirely, requires touch contact. This can be seen in responses to more recent posts with scenarios, one example here concerned colossus and Magneto has been mentioned in similar scenarios on the Discord.
I told you how it worked in training but if you don't wanna listen, then don't ask about it

mzerodark

Nov 11, 2019
Sounds like Mystique would make a very interesting love interest for Null, considering her relationship with Rogue and Kurt, as well being a villain to the X-Men. And, as already mentioned, at some point, Null would be able to shut down her shape-shifting abilities to expose her true self. Unless there is a change in locale, or she masquerades as a student or teacher at the school carefully, she wouldn't be around Null enough to develop into one of the three love interests that each chapter will have. Perhaps, she'll have to be a DLC character who becomes curious about him given his new relationship with Rogue (and perhaps his accomplishments on the team if the story has progressed enough), then takes a personal interest in him after she gets better acquainted with him and his abilities, which then becomes a brief (and secret) sexual relationship (like a booty call?).

Reactions: Sweetluvd
May 5, 2022
I told you how it worked in training but if you don't wanna listen, then don't ask about it
If i am wrong, i am wrong, I am more than willing to admit that. I will not, however, immediately agree/change my mind simply because someone states a differing opinion as you did, (I am referring here to the touch contact portion of Nulls abilities not the training with Jean. I could have been more specific about that in my response.). I was wrong about the training, after my previous post i replayed through the training and came to the conclusion that you were right on that count and i had been misremembering bits of it.

However as Mutation8888 posited/stated in their response, the training and the nullification aura has been shown to work against directed powers. If the aura worked against the mutants themselves as touch does then I think some of the dialogue/descriptions could have/should have reflected that, presuming of course that the dialogue was not conducted from beyond the aura range. In the beginning it is stated during initial contact with Storm, Laura, and others that it feels strange when they make physical contact with Null. Presumably if they are close enough to shake hands or make contact in another way they would be within the aura(Also presuming the Aura was a thing that early), and it would be noticeable if it affected them the same way the touch does.

I agree with Mutation8888 that the Aura seems to work more towards directed mutant abilities, like Jean moving the tennis ball, while the touch contact would shut down passive abilities that the Aura doesn't, as well as not allowing use of the directed abilities while in contact. Though i do think that the aura might prevent Mystique from shifting forms while within the range, though it might not revert her back to her native appearance.

ShinyBoots1993

Apr 7, 2020
As a dev, I can confirm that it doesn't require touch. Though it's temperamental and I'll bring up a few examples mentioned in the past.

One of Jean's psychic bolts? Disappears once within proximity.

One of Spyke's spikes? Well it's a sharp bone, it stopped being a power once it left his body.

Pyro's flames? Well, Null could stop Pyro from turning the fire into a snake or rope to wrap around Null but the dude is still aiming a flamethrower at Null. Which is definitely not a mutant power.

Also since Colossus has been mentioned. An important thing to clear up is that his flesh form is his natural state. So if Null touched Colossus, he could force the dude out of his metal form.

Kurt is naturally blue. He was born that way. Null's ability can't change your phenotype.

None of this is new information. It's either in-game or answered in a dev Q&A and it will eventually make its way in-game.

they seem to act as a form of reactive danger sense
As far as we've seen it behave, this is a good line of thought to follow.

May 5, 2022
To address the initial point of contention:
No, she absolutely would. Mystique is the kind of nutjob where she would shapeshift into a girl to try and seduce Null.
I think the overall opinion is that as soon as she got close to Null, his passive power would cause hers to go kaput.
I disagreed with the latter bit, believing that for that to occur physical contact must be made. Would physical contact be required or would Mystique just have to step within the nullification aura?

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2018
Please don't tear down one queen to raise another.
I am not tearing anyone down. I just said it's a worse game which is true. If I wanted to tear Oni down I would say "He's extremely lazy and just refuses to deal with his stupid spaghetti code which in turn just contributes to his laziness since it delays updates and it just becomes a vicious cycle". But I didn't say that, did I?

Clobbertime

Jan 10, 2021
Don't be That Guy, you can enjoy both our games, they both fulfill different needs and niches and I'm pretty sure most of the folks in this thread have spent countless hours on RLE.
I wasn't being 'that guy', I was just letting him know the game he was looking for already exists. I've played a lot of RLE myself.

Reactions: drone4of2

Evil13

Engaged Member
Jun 4, 2019
To address the initial point of contention:

I disagreed with the latter bit, believing that for that to occur physical contact must be made. Would physical contact be required or would Mystique just have to step within the nullification aura?
You just had the answer given to you.

Clobbertime

Jan 10, 2021
No, she absolutely would. Mystique is the kind of nutjob where she would shapeshift into a girl to try and seduce Null.

I think the overall opinion is that as soon as she got close to Null, his passive power would cause hers to go kaput.
I don't think that having her powers nullified would force her back into her true form. Seems to me it would leave her stuck in whatever form she was in until she got out of the range of his power since changing back to herself would require her power to shapeshift to be working.

Evil13

Engaged Member
Jun 4, 2019
I don't think that having her powers nullified would force her back into her true form. Seems to me it would leave her stuck in whatever form she was in until she got out of the range of his power since changing back to herself would require her power to shapeshift to be working.
No, anything that would disrupt, like injury or otherwise nullify her powers would force her back into Raven Darkholme.

This is best exemplified in Uncanny X-men Vol 1 issue 379 and X-men Vol 2 issue 99, when the High Evolutionary creates a satellite that will turn off the X-gene, as a misguided way to resolve the conflict of humanity and mutants. He activates it, effectively making every mutant on Earth a baseline mutant (not really, their powers were just turned off).

Mystique at that moment was infiltrating the National Reconnaissance Offices to find out why so many of her identities were being exposed. She felt immense pain as the satellite's energies took effect and reverted to Raven Darkholme, leaving her to be easily captured by the agents and the guards at the NRO.

Mutation8888

Jun 15, 2022
It is according to whether her shapeshifting actually permanently changes her genetic make-up until she changes it again, or if it requires some concentration or active form of her ability to maintain. The concentration idea actually is born out in times that she is knocked unconscious; she reverts back to her natural mutant state. This indicates that she can keep her transformed state most of the time with minimal thought, but if something catastrophic occurred, like being nullified, knocked out, or killed, she would revert back to her normal form.

Reactions: ShinyBoots1993

Buttholder

Feb 25, 2022
Let's not forget that she actually does that in the comics, but on one occasion, it was specifically to get Gambit away from Rogue.

And then, when Gambit found out, Mystique literally said words to the effect of 'look, I'll cut you a deal: you stay away from my daughter and I'll happily take her place and shapeshift into anyone you want - even Rogue herself.'

And the actual worst part? Gambit seriously considered taking her up on the offer. Granted, he probably would've wound up dead before long, but still, Jesus Christ.

tl;dr Mystique is a special kind of crazy

Mutation8888

Jun 15, 2022
Let's not forget that she actually does that in the comics, but on one occasion, it was specifically to get Gambit away from Rogue.

And then, when Gambit found out, Mystique literally said words to the effect of 'look, I'll cut you a deal: you stay away from my daughter and I'll happily take her place and shapeshift into anyone you want - even Rogue herself.'

And the actual worst part? Gambit seriously considered taking her up on the offer. Granted, he probably would've wound up dead before long, but still, Jesus Christ.

tl;dr Mystique is a special kind of crazy
And Rogue should have stayed far away from Gambit. He is not too far off from Mystiques nuttiness in his own way.

Mutation8888

Jun 15, 2022
Oh I compiled a list on the discord of some of the worst things Gambit has ever done. Any one of the things on the list would be good cause for anyone to dump his ass and never talk to him again.
At least in this universe we can pile Gambit and Mystique on the same wagon and steal Rogue from them. Maybe Mystique and Gambit will become a thing until Mystique murders him in his sleep.

Buttholder

Feb 25, 2022
And Rogue should have stayed far away from Gambit. He is not too far off from Mystiques nuttiness in his own way.
I started rereading everything X-Men-related last year (before I joined the devteam, weirdly enough, synchronicity and all that) and, while I used to like him as a kid, rereading all the stuff he does as an adult, he's a Chinese parade of red flags masquerading as a human being.

Dazzier31

Jul 24, 2019
You really gonna make me defend Gambit of all people? Really? Fiiiiiiiine.

Make no mistake, Gambit is a piece of shit, grade-A asshole and the poster child of stranger danger, definitely the kind of guy that thinks he is the second coming of Christ, blessed by Aphrodite herself and that his attention is a gift unto mankind that only few people deserve and where was I going with this?

Oh right, Mystique. Yeah, he has done some awful shit in comics but even the worse he has ever done is not on par with Raven, she is straight up a monster, the corruption of Magneto's dream and the mutant equivalent of a Grand Wizard of a certain klub. She commits acts of terror for the pure joy she gets out of it. She wakes up every day pondering how to make everyone's lives worse.

4.60 star(s) 152 Votes