thundersamaz

Jun 29, 2020
If we really must compare the two games I'll say I prefer this one, even if it's just the prologue. The characters feel more human.
But like with all drug addicts, I just there were more, lmao. Good work guys, the game looks and feel pretty good.

Reactions: Eland51298

mr.AwesomeGameTaste

Feb 18, 2021
An X-Men game set at the X-Mansion warrants a point contributing to the conclusion of "rip-off"?

They very much are not. Similar does not equal the same. Even with much of the more complex parts we plan on revealing as the story unfolds not in the teaser, we show that some powers can affect Null. Meanwhile Zero is to immune to basically everything without training. I fail to see how this constitutes "rip-off."

No, she very much is not. Storm and Nightcrawler are the primary tour guides. Yes you interact with Rogue and she explains things but the interaction is no where near what Rogue-Like offers. I'm not sure how this is a "rip-off."

Rogue being touch starved is a part of her in every incarnation of the character. Her interest is your power, not you. If you played through the teaser you would know this and also know that you have the ability to tease her about her having an interest in you and it flusters her as that's when her interest in you comes to her mind.

In Oni's game the girl outright makes out with you for several minutes during your first meeting. Our Rogue is no where near that forward. I am not sure how that is a "rip-off."

I would if you didn't make claims that blatantly went against the content of the teaser. The major one being that you claim Rogue gives the player the tour... Which is provably false.

You even acknowledge that we're making attempts at taking the project away from Rogue-Like, after I challenged you, yet you still used the term "rip-off." Many of your points also mirror comments I made after my initial response.

And abandoning my coyness. Yes that is what I am most displeased with. You make claims of fact that contradict the content of the teaser, which are not opinions, point out things that are part of X-Men independent of Oni, and accuse our project of being a "rip-off."

If you did play the teaser then I am genuinely sorry for accusing you of not doing so. However I have to pose the question, why are you stating that the teaser contains content that it simply does not have?

If this is all one big misunderstanding then I'm willing to let bygones be bygones and hope we can have an amicable relationship in future interactions, but I will not stand idly by at the accusation of us being a "rip-off."
Well,if you read my comment,I said that One could make an argument that this is a rip-off,not that I am making that argument,nor am I accusing you of such thing. that line was a response to posts I saw while briefly scrolling through the thread, and many people speaking of similarities between the two games,ending with my conclusion that I don't mind it too much,and there are many games set in popular franchises that are similar,my example being teen titans. you are right about the fact that mc's power work differently despite being the same,but similarities are there and that's something you guys concede in your very game,in the very beginning. If I made a game, where the premise is that brainiac,instead of lex luthor,imprisons DC heroines,and responded to comments about the similarity of my game and something unlimited saying "but guys,brainiac doesn't use electronic devices to control them,he uses his mind!,his powers work differently! and also it takes more time to corrupt the girls!" I'm sure we would all agree that explanation is truthful yet it's cherry picking,the similarities are there and that's fine. You won't stand Idly by the accusations of being a rip-off,and i won't stand idly by when someone is accusing me of something i didn't do,that is accussing you of a rip off,and snarkiness towards my initial comment that I made in good faith as a show of support for your project. I wish you guys all the best and I have high hopes for your game,as for future interactions my energy will reflect your own and I can only assure you that I am always criticizing and arguing in good faith,giving credit where it's due as I did in my previous comments praising some of the aspects and ideas of your game. Not Wasting more time on what I hope is a misunderstanding on your part, I wish you a good day and success with your project.

ShinyBoots1993

Apr 7, 2020
Glad to hear it, though I did in fact play through the teaser which was why I mentioned feeling slightly disappointed by the sameness. I even ended up pressing "continue" by accident which looped me back around and I wrapped it up by trying different dialogues options.

Perhaps it's like you said, it's just the narrative/art showcase and I judged it too prematurely without the sandbox/game mechanics.

I am happy to be wrong and corrected, just means there is another great game out there worth supporting! :)

I just throw in my 2 cents, about the "What if this character was a college student having finals anxiety and identity issues?" part you mentioned, you could probably project that to any member of the cast or even 90% of people IRL at the age, but it wouldn't be good dating sim material to have similar characters doing that. So it's like a precious weapon that can only be fired once, use it wisely since they will likely be a fan favorite. Eventually you will end up with whackier character traits to make them stay unique, kinda like what happens with the latter characters of RLE.
Sorry if I seemed stand offish. I just get agitated as we've put a lot of effort in distancing ourselves from Rogue-Like.

We will never deny the initial leak was essentially a copy paste as it was a proof of concept. Though we've come a long way. I hope we can meet your expectations and trust me, we have plans for other characters.

darkjoker13

Jul 7, 2017
I finished the Preview.
Overall, much better than expected.
But there are still some bugs and technical issues, I hope the next version will be better.
For character, I don't really like Storm's hair. But it's just my personal preference.
Rogue is a very well-designed character, I love her.
I hope Emma will be the next added character in the future.

And I hope dev will fix Laura mask....

Jul 28, 2017
This project is amazing
the girl designs are very unique i am really looking forward to seeing the next girls designs that will be added
I have a question do you have a list of girls that will be added or will appear as the story progresses

someyoungguy

May 10, 2023
I'm a big fan of RLE, despite it's obvious flaws. Even before you dropped the preview, I was excited this game was even announced because Oni has updated RLE more in the past 6 months than the previous two years, lol. I'm really excited to be getting some actual story. I love the obvious love for and care taken with the source material. I do agree with a poster above that something seems off about Storm's hair. It always struck me as more active in the comics, but I'm not even sure how that could be "fixed". She still looks great. ShinyBoots1993 mentioned there being an explanation in the preview about why Xavier can still use his power around the player character, but I think I missed it.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

bigjay720

Jul 13, 2020
I'm a huge fan of Rogue-Like Evolution.
However I think, as far as this project is concerned, I'm going to wait for an actual playable version before committing my time to it.
Still, I'm looking forward to where this project goes and how it will differentiate itself from Rogue-Like Evolution(if it does...).

lolistomper69

Jun 6, 2019
Oh boy. Time to get my Community Manager hat back on. Hope I didn't lose my edge.

I'll DM you an invite since you're having a technical error.

I've answered this a million times but those who frequent this thread know I don't mind repeating myself for new comers. This game fundamentally is no longer "another rogue like." For one we put a lot more focus on the narrative, we actually have an overarching narrative, and the girls are a lot more fleshed out. The MC's ability to block powers is genuinely the only thing left over from Rogue Like. We are also expanding upon it rather than just automatically being invincible.

One of the standout features is that both games have completely different "relationship" mechanics. We don't have the love, obedience, and addiction stats. For one there is no addiction system nor is there an obedience system. You will have to go through the girl's personal interactions and events to get them to fall in love with you and their willingness to be dommed is based on how much they like you. Not special conditioning.

As stated above, it's not.

We will provide links to donation sites once we have the first build up. We made the decision that we won't take money until you guys have an actual game to play around with.

Sad to inform that the female protagonist will be waiting until we finish the male character's story. You can blame me specifically as I suggested this because I've seen other games flounder because they decided to essentially make two different games.

Uh Wolverine and X-23 are two different people. Though no, X-23's virginity won't be regenerating.

She would be an interesting choice. :WeSmart:

To my knowledge? Nope. Just a premise with some girls lore dumping info not from X-Men Evolution.

While humorous. Why did you quote something from months ago? This is more likely to cause drama than anything else. I ask that people be respectful in this thread.

The time of initial outrage is over. Let's leave it in the past.

The only girls in the first release are Jean, Rogue, and X-23. Kitty is an interesting character for a second release. If we choose her that is. :sneaky:

We don't see a point in emulating any of Oni's writing. This Jean will be closer to the comic books. All be it a little more expressive as in the comics she was kinda the token girl member and even behaved that way for several years after several women joined the team. :unsure: We're gonna be basing her personality off of more recent adaptations but rolling it back with the idea of "What if this character was a college student having finals anxiety and identity issues?" For the first chapter at least.

We based her off of comic book art. She's never really been super thicc. :unsure: If you were expecting a dumptruck booty... Well there's your answer. The comics never gave her one.

Nah nah. By that point we'd have several chapters out. We've just had a few set backs. We wanted chapter 1 out months ago but life got in the way.

Which is what you will have. This is a narrative, art, and music teaser. The sandbox will be in the next release. There will be a focus on dating as just spamming gifts and compliments will only get you so far.

This is very much not a reskin of Rogue-Like. It's also not an alpha. The next release will be a full on beta-release.

As stated it won't be for a while. Also going off of your icon I apologize as there won't be lesbian options... At least at first.

Again you can blame me.

As a man who very much likes dick, I put my foot down with the dev team that there will be no lesbian content unless they were willing to have male on male content. Right now we don't have an artist willing to draw guy on guy content but that may change.

Again, I apologize but trust me. A bunch of straight guys(I'm the only non-straight guy on the team) don't know how to write lesbian romances so I'm saving you cringe.

I'm glad. :D

I mean arguably her comic counterpart can act like a spoiled bitch. We're not going that route so don't worry. :LOL:

I'm going to be polite and assume you did not play the teaser. Anyone who played it can tell you that the similarities end at the MC's power affecting others. They don't even work the same way Zero's power works. In fact we even provide an explanation on how Xavier is still able to communicate with us telepathically.

As you haven't played the teaser. Rogue's main attraction to the player isn't his power. The first beta release will expand on this further.

Okay story time.

Initially this was going to be an X-Men Evolution based game. I convinced the main team to take on comic inspiration instead to avoid our project being a Rogue-Like clone. However, the entire team is addicted to big tiddied goth gfs. In addition rather than a pure sandbox with no overarching goal, we are adapting the comics in order. Excluding Chapter 1 as it exists to set up the world. Chapter 2 onwards will be outright adapting comic book storylines.

Now back to Rogue. If we were to go comic purist, Rogue would not be in the game until chapter 3. Rogue's art was already commissioned so I tweaked the story to have her be a member of the X-Men earlier than she was in the comics. Because she's part of the story before she even appears in the comics, we went with an Evolution "inspired" teenager Rogue into goth stuff. As the story goes on she will become more like her more well known counter part from the '95 cartoon.

I will stress that her gothness is not a phase that she grows out of. She will remain goth. However, wearing black is not a personality trait so we have plans of having her be more complex in that she can still be goth and have her southern belle persona that everyone is familiar with.

Actually a new game takes longer. Early on we established that we are not using anything of Oni's. Not his code nor his art. Our lead dev built it from the ground up.

Not only that. The team is made up of full time college students and full time employed individuals. On top of that there have been deaths in the family. So set backs happen.

I hope you have the empathy to understand why all this would have an effect on our release schedule.

If you played the teaser you'd know that this isn't the case. I can promise everyone that there is no way in hell that this could be considered a 1 for 1 copy.
that was a joke, people did the "haha" and moved on, thats it.

enfuego

Feb 10, 2018
An X-Men game set at the X-Mansion warrants a point contributing to the conclusion of "rip-off"?

They very much are not. Similar does not equal the same. Even with much of the more complex parts we plan on revealing as the story unfolds not in the teaser, we show that some powers can affect Null. Meanwhile Zero is to immune to basically everything without training. I fail to see how this constitutes "rip-off."

No, she very much is not. Storm and Nightcrawler are the primary tour guides. Yes you interact with Rogue and she explains things but the interaction is no where near what Rogue-Like offers. I'm not sure how this is a "rip-off."

Rogue being touch starved is a part of her in every incarnation of the character. Her interest is your power, not you. If you played through the teaser you would know this and also know that you have the ability to tease her about her having an interest in you and it flusters her as that's when her interest in you comes to her mind.

In Oni's game the girl outright makes out with you for several minutes during your first meeting. Our Rogue is no where near that forward. I am not sure how that is a "rip-off."

I would if you didn't make claims that blatantly went against the content of the teaser. The major one being that you claim Rogue gives the player the tour... Which is provably false.

You even acknowledge that we're making attempts at taking the project away from Rogue-Like, after I challenged you, yet you still used the term "rip-off." Many of your points also mirror comments I made after my initial response.

And abandoning my coyness. Yes that is what I am most displeased with. You make claims of fact that contradict the content of the teaser, which are not opinions, point out things that are part of X-Men independent of Oni, and accuse our project of being a "rip-off."

If you did play the teaser then I am genuinely sorry for accusing you of not doing so. However I have to pose the question, why are you stating that the teaser contains content that it simply does not have?

If this is all one big misunderstanding then I'm willing to let bygones be bygones and hope we can have an amicable relationship in future interactions, but I will not stand idly by at the accusation of us being a "rip-off."

Edit: I was told to further my point about the powers that I should mention Leech.
and his I am noting that he can turn off powers and is green skinned. I'm not going to say Zero is a rip-off of this character but I was advised to mention that Oni did not invent the concept or character and thus makes us even less of a "rip-off."
No idea what this argument was about but I did want to ask: Are y'all doing the whole evolution thing where all the ages are mixed up for the X-men members? Because I swear Jean and Ororo are supposed to be around the same age

Evil13

Engaged Member
Jun 4, 2019
No idea what this argument was about but I did want to ask: Are y'all doing the whole evolution thing where all the ages are mixed up for the X-men members? Because I swear Jean and Ororo are supposed to be around the same age
From what I understand, there's going to be several chapters crossing different eras, so we're starting off with the Evolution era, where the characters are university aged, then moving into more of a X-men 92 era in terms of designs

raska42

Feb 16, 2018
Havn't tried it yet (I'll wait for a non-teaser version), but needed to comment on one of the pics. Definitely liked rogue's costume. Then I realized that it -probably- isn't supposed to be bodypaint (the yellow looks like paint to me, not spandex). That being said, any plans for bodypaint outfits?

Feb 1, 2022
I see a lot of drama around this. I don't really know what all that's about..

I played RLE and I'm happy to see something inspired by that with a new spin, the art style is pretty nice.

Nov 28, 2018
Whatever is being done, I sure hope that maledom/corruption aspect is still in, though I can probably understand if it's dropped in favor of romance/dating sim since I think Rogue-Like already delivers in that aspect and from I seen so far here devs are being shat on for not being different. The only thing I would like to be different compared to Oni's work is to have actual good game anyway.

Gulagurag

Oct 4, 2021
Shiny. Thank you and your team for the exceptional effort you put into this first release. The game looks great and you can see that all of you made every effort to give the community something special. The fact that this is free for everyone to play and you are all covering the expense and time from your own budgets and lives is rare and selfless. This is not just an adult game but an attempt to bring us into a story and that is no easy task with such a beloved IP. I look forward to seeing how this progresses and where your team chooses to take us.

Thanks again.

4.60 star(s) 152 Votes