4.60 star(s) 164 Votes

Evil13

Engaged Member
Jun 4, 2019
So the X-gene is the universal for all mutants? And it remained unchanged for all of them? Or am I missing something?
In the Marvel universe a mutant defined is a human being that possesses a genetic trait called the X-gene. It causes the mutant to develop superhuman powers that manifest at puberty.

If someone develops powers through some other means and they do not have the X-gene, such as Spider-man, then by definition, they are not mutants, but mutates. Very important definition.

And admins/mods, this is a topic relevant to the game as it will more than likely come up at some point in later chapters.

leathermax

Feb 10, 2019
So... how does Null's ability or X-gene behave in regards to other methods of nullification or dampening? We already know he can touch Rogue who was already the "anti" type, so to speak. What if he had one of those dampeners on him? What's the exact nature of his ability?

Casted420

Mar 4, 2020
In the Marvel universe a mutant defined is a human being that possesses a genetic trait called the X-gene. It causes the mutant to develop superhuman powers that manifest at puberty.

If someone develops powers through some other means and they do not have the X-gene, such as Spider-man, then by definition, they are not mutants, but mutates. Very important definition.

And admins/mods, this is a topic relevant to the game as it will more than likely come up at some point in later chapters.
Ooooohhhhh, I completely forgot about this difference.

Casted420

Mar 4, 2020
So... how does Null's ability or X-gene behave in regards to other methods of nullification or dampening? We already know he can touch Rogue who was already the "anti" type, so to speak. What if he had one of those dampeners on him? What's the exact nature of his ability?
I guess Null's powers are akin to Jimmy's (who is based on another character if my memory serves me right) from The Last Stand.

drifter139

Dec 11, 2019
I don't think dampeners would work since we've seen him try to use it on the Sentinels and it didn't work then. it must mean that it only affects natural mutants and not others with powers

ShinyBoots1993

Apr 7, 2020
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
I love everything about this.

What if he had one of those dampeners on him?
Death by hand holding.

I don't think dampeners would work since we've seen him try to use it on the Sentinels and it didn't work then. it must mean that it only affects natural mutants and not others with powers
Not sure what you mean about the Sentinels. They just couldn't tell what was up with Null.

Though I will confirm that he does have the X-Gene. If you want to know why it triggered when he was 18 instead of puberty and why no one can pin down what the heck is going on with him... Play the upcoming chapters :)

drifter139

Dec 11, 2019
Not sure what you mean about the Sentinels. They just couldn't tell what was up with Null.
what I meant was because they were technology, his power didn't affect them in anyway which I think means the only people he can affect are mutants as we saw with Juggernaut who he touched but was basically told "bruh, what are you doing?"

ShinyBoots1993

Apr 7, 2020
what I meant was because they were technology, his power didn't affect them in anyway which I think means the only people he can affect are mutants as we saw with Juggernaut who he touched but was basically told "bruh, what are you doing?"
People were talking about Null having his powers dampened. Not his limitation of dampening others.

Because otherwise
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
I mean that is a valid reason but that's not the narrative reason lol

harem.king

Engaged Member
Aug 16, 2023
So the X-gene is the universal for all mutants? And it remained unchanged for all of them? Or am I missing something?
The X-gene is inconsistent.
Sometimes it is a singular gene, sometimes multiple genes, sometimes it is an entire standalone chromosome.
Sometimes everyone gets different powers from the same identical x-gene.
Other times each individual has a singular x-gene but it's contents are different from person to person.
Also the entire X-gene complex (chromosome) glows purple inside each and every cell.

Each reboot they get a new writer who explains it to the best of his knowledge. And most of them have very poor understanding of biology, as well as little respect to what previous writers came up with.

armond

Apr 26, 2020
The X-gene is inconsistent.
Sometimes it is a singular gene, sometimes multiple genes, sometimes it is an entire standalone chromosome.
Sometimes everyone gets different powers from the same identical x-gene.
Other times each individual has a singular x-gene but it's contents are different from person to person.
Also the entire X-gene complex (chromosome) glows purple inside each and every cell.

Each reboot they get a new writer who explains it to the best of his knowledge. And most of them have very poor understanding of biology, as well as little respect to what previous writers came up with.
Just say magic and call it a day, it's the best retcon when you are the bone of your retcon

ShinyBoots1993

Apr 7, 2020
Which is funny as Stan Lee NEVER hid the reason he invented it... He just got tired of writing origin stories and wanted an excuse for people to have powers from the get go. :ROFLMAO:

I don't think we're going to bother explaining the X-Gene because it's so inconsistently explained in the comics. The only thing you need to know for our game is that the X-Gene is a thing that exists, there are some individuals who can turn it off and unless you're some of the unlucky examples shown post M-Day, it just stops you from using your powers.

Any actual lore discussion beyond this I ask be taken to the off topic thread.

bigguy_foryou

Jun 8, 2018
Just say magic and call it a day, it's the best retcon when you are the bone of your retcon
"It's magic" really is all it is at the end of the day. No matter what scientific based explanations or reasoning you try to use, people here can make objects move with their mind.

Reactions: harem.king

armond

Apr 26, 2020
Which is funny as Stan Lee NEVER hid the reason he invented it... He just got tired of writing origin stories and wanted an excuse for people to have powers from the get go. :ROFLMAO:

I don't think we're going to bother explaining the X-Gene because it's so inconsistently explained in the comics. The only thing you need to know for our game is that the X-Gene is a thing that exists, there are some individuals who can turn it off and unless you're some of the unlucky examples shown post M-Day, it just stops you from using your powers.

Any actual lore discussion beyond this I ask be taken to the off topic thread.
What about the xxx-gene?
1000013706.jpg

apyrvalg

Oct 9, 2018
ShinyBoots1993 A couple of questions, if you don't mind.

First one: saturday grill party really should give that much trust? Or that may be corrected in the future?
Screenshot_15.png

Second one - during the Fall to Winter transition phone alert looks like this:
Screenshot_16.png
Actual alert seems missing here.

The Al

Dec 22, 2017
ShinyBoots1993 A couple of questions, if you don't mind.

First one: saturday grill party really should give that much trust? Or that may be corrected in the future?
View attachment 4102723

Second one - during the Fall to Winter transition phone alert looks like this:
View attachment 4102731
Actual alert seems missing here.
I thought something was missing there. I just figured i was misremembering since it had been awhile since I'd started a new game

4.60 star(s) 164 Votes