HTML The Queen of Phalli [Ch.7.6 IE] [Nobody Cares]

4.80 star(s) 19 Votes

Nobody Cares

Game Developer
Oct 8, 2017
Food for thought percolating in my mind recently for all the lurkers here and the OP.

Is Lolth in the habit of intervening directly to answer any and all prayer(s), or does a Drow have to catch her eye and favor immediately before so with their actions?

As in what Eli was doing with Caliope in Chapter 5 on the Maryl -> Syn variation and the subsequent divine intervention?
Much like the original Lolth, my Lolth tends to act on divine whims rather than divine wisdom. The gods of the forgotten realms are not especially wiser or more virtuous than most mortals. They are simply immortal and powerful. Religion is very much transactional, the drow do not pray to Lolth because it is the right thing to do, but because she grants them great power, eternal lives and huge dingdongs.

She can hear every prayer, no doubt, but will answer only when and if she is in the mood.

Reactions: Alienlighter

Gelb13

Mar 5, 2018
Much like the original Lolth, my Lolth tends to act on divine whims rather than divine wisdom. The gods of the forgotten realms are not especially wiser or more virtuous than most mortals. They are simply immortal and powerful. Religion is very much transactional, the drow do not pray to Lolth because it is the right thing to do, but because she grants them great power, eternal lives and huge dingdongs.

She can hear every prayer, no doubt, but will answer only when and if she is in the mood.
In the mood to help a certain person's shennangins/manupulations or to protect another after a pleasing and atypical display of devotion/prayer? The line between whim and wisdom feels very blurred here. :whistle:

Last edited:
Reactions: lar009

Gelb13

Mar 5, 2018
Alas, such things are beyond us.
Que sera, sera. :coffee:

Still I won't be the first or last to wish for a glimpse of Lolth in the flesh one day in the Abyssal plane or somewhere else within the story. Her transformation/ascendaency raises alot of fun questions. Hélas, if you choose to cloak it in some divine mystery it makes sense story/plot wise.

Last edited:

Nobody Cares

Game Developer
Oct 8, 2017
Que sera, sera. :coffee:

Still I won't be the first or last to wish for a glimpse of Lolth in the flesh one day in the Abyssal plane or somewhere else within the story. Her transformation/ascendaency raises alot of fun questions. Hélas, if you chose to cloak it in some divine mystery it makes sense story/plot wise.
Book IV

Nobody Cares

Game Developer
Oct 8, 2017
I do think they are to a certain extent, simply by virtue of sheer experience through millions of years as they are immortal.
Intuitively it should be so but, always using Greek mythology as a reference, Gods don't seem to change, learn, and least of all improve over time. Their strengths and many many many weaknesses seem to be as immutable as the gods themselves. Perhaps learning and improving is something only mortals can do.

WordsOfComfort

Nov 17, 2021
Intuitively it should be so but, always using Greek mythology as a reference, Gods don't seem to change, learn, and least of all improve over time. Their strengths and many many many weaknesses seem to be as immutable as the gods themselves. Perhaps learning and improving is something only mortals can do.
I'll take the gods' corner on this one; although it's a fairly late source relative to classical antiquity, Sallust's On the Gods and the World does an excellent job at differentiating between the encosmic gods (operating within the cosmos, subject to passions) and the hypercosmic gods (transcendent, eternally perfect and eternally unchanging). He also distinguishes between mythology which communicates an eternal truth and myths which are told just so people can tell them:
And this indeed is the first utility arising from fables, that they excite us to inquiry, and do not suffer our cogitative power to remain in indolent rest [..] for they are used by poets agitated by divinity, by the best of philosophers, and by such as disclose initiatory rites.
In the premodern worldview, the gods appear in different guises to us as humans but are all ultimately the One. (I note with frustration the hippie type who says "yeah it's all just the one, maaan"--if even the gods are differentiated facets of this perfect, transcendent Being, then certainly we up-jumped apes have a long way to go before we can even begin to perceive this reality.) And Plotinus has this great line, something like, "And so God suffers us to call him by the name 'Zeus', but He is not Zeus."

Gelb13

Mar 5, 2018
As a long-term fanboy/supporter with adimittedly a bit of sunken cost fallacy, trust me you'll be the first to know if I feel like a content drought is impinging on my support.

So here's to Chapter 8 coming out soon and in a better state than others in the past. :)

If it's any consolation you haven't crossed into Dark Cookie/Gumdrop territory of milking/empty promises, although admittedly that is a high bar. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Reactions: WhenUNut and lar009

lar009

Mar 7, 2021
With this chapter I may have bitten off a little more than I can chew. But I am getting there, I swear!
Prefer you taking the time you need than trying to rush it personally, so all for it having to take more time when it needs. :D

And like Gelb stated, already a fan and need to see where the main choice path I am on takes the story.

4.80 star(s) 19 Votes