VN Ren'Py The Sinful City Fight for Love [v0.3] [Peacemaker]

4.30 star(s) 12 Votes

AlterdStates7

Feb 18, 2020
Since the game doesn't have a Gallery yet, I checked the video folder of the game to see if it got all the cutscenes...I have everything except one in my game after playing all the routes...I noticed a video(Elsi BJ) and I can't find it in the game ... Has anyone met him?
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
That's during the flashback with MC's sister IIRC, I don't remember what choice leads there though.

Last edited:

Acsuka

Mar 25, 2023
That's during the flashback with MC's sister IRCC, I don't remember what choice leads there though.
Hmm... It's weird because I played that part too and it was just MC/sister sex... Anyway, that flashback was good because we know the "shadow" of their current relationship a little better... And actually the idea of incest and the "love" for family members starts from here...

SSJSonGoku

Apr 18, 2020
I'd say that most people in here just know the shitty truth that 95% of games started never get finished, and to be brutally honest you are a new dev, the game has been worked on for less than a year, and havent proven anything to the adult gaming community of being able to tie everything together and get a game completed.

There are a number of devs who have extremely long dev cycles for updates (like 8+ months) and still have solid support on patreon and have a strong fanbase because the have shown time and time again that the updates are worth it and the games they make are worth it in the end.

You are a single dev in an ocean of devs all trying to get support and money from the same group of people. Its not something that happens overnight, and takes a shit ton of effort and time to build up the trust from the community that you will deliver what is promised.
There are also Devs that have been barely doing any content in YEARS and keep milking and milking. Despite that they keep getting supported.
That being said I am all for supporting Devs. I am supporting several (some sadly even abandoned their games), because if we don't, even the reliable devs will stop creating content. I personally disagree with those that say: "oh but I am not gonna support anyone cause they could abandon the game". I am not talking about you, don't get me wrong. But those really make me mad, cause often they are the first to complain about lack of updates/content and devs abandoning games. You just need to try and trust some devs.

Slickjack

May 29, 2020
Reflections on a single playthrough:

I have completed a single playthrough of the ver. 0.30 download available from the official links on the opening post of this thread. This was installed by downloading the balanced ver. 0.25 file and the ver.0.30 update patch. I also used the "adjustment" mod (aka URM mod) as I saw many posts decrying the dialogue font/text box/etc. in earlier iterations of the game. This mod does not overwrite the script.rpy file. I don't know if the mod is still needed, but I used it anyway. I have not previously downloaded or played the VN prior to this installation.

I received one error message (already reported on this forum by someone else) when advancing the page of the photo album in the photographer's studio. It was regarding a missing 'TransCornerFlip.jpg' file. I was able to tell Ren'Py to ignore the error and life went on without any further difficulties. I don't see a single misnamed or missing .jpg file as anything to warrant a complaint, just by the way. I will say that having a single error of this sort amidst all of these files, over 1800, is more of an achievement than a deficiency. On the other hand, (this makes me sound like an economist!) I've not made multiple playthroughs, meaning I've not tried seeing every .jpg file called by the script. There could be more such errors, but no other such error has been reported in this forum.

Language Usage:

While I am to understand that someone has proofread the script, I did manage to run across many (too many) errors in grammar, word choice, and words simply left out of the script. As a former English teacher, I am probably more readily chagrined by these errors than your basic high school graduate, but the proofreader needs to up his game. Many errors deal with homonyms, words that sound the same but have different spellings and meanings. An example is the trio of to, too, and two. Each sounds the same, but each means something different. Even a decent seventh grader should be aware of the differences and know when to use which, yet instances have made their ways past the proofreader. That brings to mind the difference between past and passed, at least once confused in the script. I don't expect a non-native English speaking dev to present a flawless script in terms of language usage, but that's why the Gods created proofreaders. I applaud the dev for having acquired one, but it might be time to reconsider renewing his contract and search for a replacement.

Models:

The dev has chosen DAZ3d models for this VN. I applaud that decision as the HoneySelect-type models are less attractive, less realistic, and more geared to a "cutesy" - perhaps anime-inspired story or tone. While I found the "present day" version of the second daughter (the landlord's tenant) to be overly busty, her younger version was quite appropriately endowed for her age. I admit this is really a matter of personal preference and recognize that the dev must feel the need to cast as wide a net as possible to snare the largest possible audience. Generally, I found the models to be attractive, although the MC model was clearly over the top by design. The middle-aged doctor might have had the body of a 25-year-old, but at least her face managed to show more mileage than her body. As with the case of the overly busty Abigail, I suppose one must bow to the desires and expectations of the target audience. I mean, do we really want to see the MC bang a now middle-aged, former girlfriend? Do we really want her to look middle-aged? It appears to me that much care was taken to provide situation specific facial expressions to the models, at least the female models. The scene with the three present day girls in the penthouse living room is an example of the varying facial expressions. The detail of having Abigail's "fang" actually cause her lower lip to bleed in the photographer's studio is an excellent example of using the DAZ graphics to add something extra to the VN. Most devs of VN would not include such a detail, yet Peacemaker did for this one. Even the hilarious "ugly, fat, bald dude" with the micro dick was well modeled and provided a bit of comic relief.

The number three daughter, Isi of the wheelchair, is possibly the most beautiful model I've ever seen in a VN.

Renders:

Vast amounts of storage is consumed by the .jpg files in this game, with no relief in sight. On one hand, barring the occasional three-legged girl, the renders are very good to excellent. On the other hand (economists?), for those with slow internet connections or running out of storage space, the sheer size of the files required for this game will preclude some from supporting and purchasing it in the future.

Plot/Theme:

Basically, the story of this VN has to do with an over the hill mixed martial arts fighter, living in Virginia. Due to a tragic automobile accident, his wife has been comatose for a year and his third daughter (tenant) has been paralyzed from the waist down and gets around in a wheelchair. Over time, the MC's financial resources have been drained by the medical bills resulting from aforementioned accident and his effort at mounting a comeback (sounds like the many comebacks of Sugar Ray Robinson!) failed against the reigning champion. Feeling woozy after his defeat in the ring, the MC goes to the Emergency room and receives an MRI scan which shows damage to his neck vertebrae. He is advised by his former girlfriend/doctor to stop fighting and that disclosure of the injuries will preclude him from being acceptable as a fighter in the future. So, effectively, this will be a story of an injured, hard luck individual in financial straits trying to get out from under the weight of the ongoing medical expenses caused by his comatose wife and paralyzed daughter. Along the way, he will deal with various temptations in the form of his daughters (tenants), his sister, her daughter, and any other female that might wander before his eyes. As the MC is still married, this should provide angst regarding being unfaithful to his comatose wife and, of course, self recrimination over the incest. So, the player will corrupt the MC and the female family members by making the proper choices. It's a corruption game, where both the male MC and the females of his household become the corrupted. This is by no means an entirely original plot premise. Still, most corruption games have a female protagonist and the player corrupts her. Any incest game is, by definition, a corruption game.

Structure:

Most AVN's found on this site are geared to making everything easy for the player to experience the entire roster of opposite sex characters in sexual relations during a single, well scripted playthrough. Peacemaker has chosen not to do that. His approach is to make decisions made by the player actually affect the subsequent story events, sometimes hours of play after the decision was made. For example, if the player has the MC discipline some teenaged girls for getting drunk, some story elements are bypassed, at least in the short term. It could very well be that future updates might either include the bypassed material or include some alternative scenes with the same characters. Only time will tell. A true completion-ist fanatic might have to make quite a few playthroughs of the game to get every scene before his eyes. Given that several branching lines are not yet completed (or even begun?), the final product might be enormous requiring many playthroughs for the player to reaps the benefits of Peacekeeper's efforts. This approach has met with mixed reactions from those who post in this forum. While we often see people decry the VN's that make the players' selections essentially useless, we also find that players don't really want a situation where they might miss something because of a decision they made. As is frequently the case in many aspects of life, the players want to have their cake and eat it, too.

The Economics of AVN Development:

Most devs AVN's won't come right out and say it, but they're really in it for the money. The real brass ring to be grabbed is to have their games available to an enormous market on Steam. While Steam may take a substantial portion of the funds collected from a "purchase" of an indie AVN, the fact remains that a decently, or even middling, successful release on Steam can result in a life-changing amount of money to the developer. If a game is proposed to Steam and rejected; as was the case with "The Intoxicating Flavor" despite years of fairly regular updates, the dev will simply pack it in. The end of the rainbow and the pot of gold is found on Steam. After all, no one is going to try to sell this game via Gamestop!

Of course, one does not create a VN without costs. The developer, Peacemaker in this case, needs to acquire DAZ assets and sufficient computing power to rapidly and efficiently render the artwork. Since the money is to be made from the English language market, the dev also needs to make sure that "Engrish" doesn't chase away potential buyers of the future. It is a major undertaking, with real financial risk, for one person to undertake. All this is done, often for years, with very little financial support available. Yes, devs will try to eke out subsidies via Patreon and SubscribeStar, but they rarely meet the costs of the dev. It is almost a catch-22 situation for a dev. He needs to get out frequent, meaty updates (best if done on a monthly basis) while still providing quality renders, writing, characterizations, etc. Monthly updates are best, as those who subsidize the dev via Patreon or SubscribeStar get charged each and every month. How much is someone willing to contribute over the course of three, four, or six months while waiting for the next update to an AVN he can easily acquire for free on F-95? Bear in mind that if the game is completed and released on Steam, one can "buy" it for probably less than $20. So, attracting supporters on Patreon/SubscribeStar is not a given.

For someone like Peacemaker, launching his very first effort at an AVN, subsidies via Patreon are going to be difficult to acquire and maintain. He has no track record of completed games and, despite an impressive initial release on F-95, has encountered a fair amount of resistance to his VN approach in this forum. Make no mistake, the renders are almost invariably excellent. The major characters are distinct and well written. Peacemaker includes comic relief along with the usual double entendre and raunchy sex jokes. The intent is clear that Peacemaker is trying to create a top quality product. The initial version of the game was made in November, 2023 and he has released three updates in the intervening seven months. I applaud his efforts to date, yet I wonder if he will be able to maintain the commitment to completing the game over the next five or six years. With all the uncompleted branching of the script in just four version releases, will this AVN go the way George RR Martin's "Song of Ice and Fire"?

- sj

Last edited:

Peacemaker93

Game Developer
Sep 2, 2023

I have completed a single playthrough of the ver. 0.30 download available from the official links on the opening post of this thread. This was installed by downloading the balanced ver. 0.25 file and the ver.0.30 update patch. I also used the "adjustment" mod (aka URM mod) as I saw many posts decrying the dialogue font/text box/etc. in earlier iterations of the game. This mod does not overwrite the script.rpy file. I don't know if the mod is still needed, but I used it anyway. I have not previously downloaded or played the VN prior to this installation.

I received one error message (already reported on this forum by someone else) when advancing the page of the photo album in the photographer's studio. It was regarding a missing 'TransCornerFlip.jpg' file. I was able to tell Ren'Py to ignore the error and life went on without any further difficulties. I don't see a single misnamed or missing .jpg file as anything to warrant a complaint, just by the way. I will say that having a single error of this sort amidst all of these files, over 1800, is more of an achievement than a deficiency. On the other hand, (this makes me sound like an economist!) I've not made multiple playthroughs, meaning I've not tried seeing every .jpg file called by the script. There could be more such errors, but no other such error has been reported in this forum.

Language Usage:

While I am to understand that someone has proofread the script, I did manage to run across many (too many) errors in grammar, word choice, and words simply left out of the script. As a former English teacher, I am probably more readily chagrined by these errors than your basic high school graduate, but the proofreader needs to up his game. Many errors deal with homonyms, words that sound the same but have different spellings and meanings. An example is the trio of to, too, and two. Each sounds the same, but each means something different. Even a decent seventh grader should be aware of the differences and know when to use which, yet instances have made their ways past the proofreader. That brings to mind the difference between past and passed, at least once confused in the script. I don't expect a non-native English speaking dev to present a flawless script in terms of language usage, but that's why the Gods created proofreaders. I applaud the dev for having acquired one, but it might be time to reconsider renewing his contract and search for a replacement.

Models:

The dev has chosen DAZ3d models for this VN. I applaud that decision as the HoneySelect-type models are less attractive, less realistic, and more geared to a "cutesy" - perhaps anime-inspired story or tone. While I found the "present day" version of the second daughter (the landlord's tenant) to be overly busty, her younger version was quite appropriately endowed for her age. I admit this is really a matter of personal preference and recognize that the dev must feel the need to cast as wide a net as possible to snare the largest possible audience. Generally, I found the models to be attractive, although the MC model was clearly over the top by design. The middle-aged doctor might have had the body of a 25-year-old, but at least her face managed to show more mileage than her body. As with the case of the overly busty Abigail, I suppose one must bow to the desires and expectations of the target audience. I mean, do we really want to see the MC bang a now middle-aged, former girlfriend? Do we really want her to look middle-aged? It appears to me that much care was taken to provide situation specific facial expressions to the models, at least the female models. The scene with the three present day girls in the penthouse living room is an example of the varying facial expressions. The detail of having Abigail's "fang" actually cause her lower lip to bleed in the photographer's studio is an excellent example of using the DAZ graphics to add something extra to the VN. Most devs of VN would not include such a detail, yet Peacemaker did for this one. Even the hilarious "ugly, fat, bald dude" with the micro dick was well modeled and provided a bit of comic relief.

The number three daughter, Isi of the wheelchair, is possibly the most beautiful model I've ever seen in a VN.

Renders:

Vast amounts of storage is consumed by the .jpg files in this game, with no relief in sight. On one hand, barring the occasional three-legged girl, the renders are very good to excellent. On the other hand (economists?), for those with slow internet connections or running out of storage space, the sheer size of the files required for this game will preclude some from supporting and purchasing it in the future.

Plot/Theme:

Basically, the story of this VN has to do with an over the hill mixed martial arts fighter, living in Virginia. Due to a tragic automobile accident, his wife has been comatose for a year and his third daughter (tenant) has been paralyzed from the waist down and gets around in a wheelchair. Over time, the MC's financial resources have been drained by the medical bills resulting from aforementioned accident and his effort at mounting a comeback (sounds like the many comebacks of Sugar Ray Robinson!) failed against the reigning champion. Feeling woozy after his defeat in the ring, the MC goes to the Emergency room and receives an MRI scan which shows damage to his neck vertebrae. He is advised by his former girlfriend/doctor to stop fighting and that disclosure of the injuries will preclude him from being acceptable as a fighter in the future. So, effectively, this will be a story of an injured, hard luck individual in financial straits trying to get out from under the weight of the ongoing medical expenses caused by his comatose wife and paralyzed daughter. Along the way, he will deal with various temptations in the form of his daughters (tenants), his sister, her daughter, and any other female that might wander before his eyes. As the MC is still married, this should provide angst regarding being unfaithful to his comatose wife and, of course, self recrimination over the incest. So, the player will corrupt the MC and the female family members by making the proper choices. It's a corruption game, where both the male MC and the females of his household become the corrupted. This is by no means an entirely original plot premise. Still, most corruption games have a female protagonist and the player corrupts her. Any incest game is, by definition, a corruption game.

Structure:

Most AVN's found on this site are geared to making everything easy for the player to experience the entire roster of opposite sex characters in sexual relations during a single, well scripted playthrough. Peacemaker has chosen not to do that. His approach is to make decisions made by the player actually affect the subsequent story events, sometimes hours of play after the decision was made. For example, if the player has the MC discipline some teenaged girls for getting drunk, some story elements are bypassed, at least in the short term. It could very well be that future updates might either include the bypassed material or include some alternative scenes with the same characters. Only time will tell. A true completion-ist fanatic might have to make quite a few playthroughs of the game to get every scene before his eyes. Given that several branching lines are not yet completed (or even begun?), the final product might be enormous requiring many playthroughs for the player to reaps the benefits of Peacekeeper's efforts. This approach has met with mixed reactions from those who post in this forum. While we often see people decry the VN's that make the players' selections essentially useless, we also find that players don't really want a situation where they might miss something because of a decision they made. As is frequently the case in many aspects of life, the players want to have their cake and eat it, too.

Most devs AVN's won't come right out and say it, but they're really in it for the money. The real brass ring to be grabbed is to have their games available to an enormous market on Steam. While Steam may take a substantial portion of the funds collected from a "purchase" of an indie AVN, the fact remains that a decently, or even middling, successful release on Steam can result in a life-changing amount of money to the developer. If a game is proposed to Steam and rejected; as was the case with "The Intoxicating Flavor" despite years of fairly regular updates, the dev will simply pack it in. The end of the rainbow and the pot of gold is found on Steam. After all, no one is going to try to sell this game via Gamestop!

Of course, one does not create a VN without costs. The developer, Peacemaker in this case, needs to acquire DAZ assets and sufficient computing power to rapidly and efficiently render the artwork. Since the money is to be made from the English language market, the dev also needs to make sure that "Engrish" doesn't chase away potential buyers of the future. It is a major undertaking, with real financial risk, for one person to undertake. All this is done, often for years, with very little financial support available. Yes, devs will try to eke out subsidies via Patreon and SubscribeStar, but they rarely meet the costs of the dev. It is almost a catch-22 situation for a dev. He needs to get out frequent, meaty updates (best if done on a monthly basis) while still providing quality renders, writing, characterizations, etc. Monthly updates are best, as those who subsidize the dev via Patreon or SubscribeStar get charged each and every month. How much is someone willing to contribute over the course of three, four, or six months while waiting for the next update to an AVN he can easily acquire for free on F-95? Bear in mind that if the game is completed and released on Steam, one can "buy" it for probably less than $20. So, attracting supporters on Patreon/SubscribeStar is not a given.

For someone like Peacemaker, launching his very first effort at an AVN, subsidies via Patreon are going to be difficult to acquire and maintain. He has no track record of completed games and, despite an impressive initial release on F-95, has encountered a fair amount of resistance to his VN approach in this forum. Make no mistake, the renders are almost invariably excellent. The major characters are distinct and well written. Peacemaker includes comic relief along with the usual double entendre and raunchy sex jokes. The intent is clear that Peacemaker is trying to create a top quality product. The initial version of the game was made in November, 2023 and he has released three updates in the intervening seven months. I applaud his efforts to date, yet I wonder if he will be able to maintain the commitment to completing the game over the next five or six years. With all the uncompleted branching of the script in just four version releases, will this AVN go the way George RR Martin's "Song of Ice and Fire"?

- sj
Thank you, it was good and interesting to read all this. It kinda makes me realise some things and lift some worries I have.

NathanD7

Jun 30, 2018
Your game is good, but if you are developing this game to solely make money while having a job, you're either brave or completely out of touch. I would understand if you're doing this as a hobby to maybe make it full time, but juggling this and a job, AND you get mad about criticism? You'd have to take a step back and focus on one thing at a time.
You need to pay bills? Pay them with the job that makes you money, not with the hobby that MIGHT make you money or not.

Reactions: Leelaverse

micojive

Oct 2, 2017
There are also Devs that have been barely doing any content in YEARS and keep milking and milking. Despite that they keep getting supported.
That being said I am all for supporting Devs. I am supporting several (some sadly even abandoned their games), because if we don't, even the reliable devs will stop creating content. I personally disagree with those that say: "oh but I am not gonna support anyone cause they could abandon the game". I am not talking about you, don't get me wrong. But those really make me mad, cause often they are the first to complain about lack of updates/content and devs abandoning games. You just need to try and trust some devs.
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. There are just too many devs that treat this as just a small side hobby that dont finish what they start. Which, dont get me wrong is totally fine...but you shouldnt expect someone to pay you for messing with your hobby. I'm not going to give money so someone can go golfing, like I'm not going to give money to someone to throw some renders together and try it out.

I'll gladly pay for a game when its finished. Or if a dev has proven to be reliable over years of development, but I'm not just giving money out to people on the street.

frozted

Jan 28, 2018

Language Usage:

Models:

Renders:

Plot/Theme:

Structure:

- sj
Proofreader here. Can I ask how were the later chapters compared to the first chapters in your opinion? I did not do as much work at the beginning, as I was brought in later.

Skylaroo

May 28, 2017
I can only speak for myself, but I'm not quite enjoying the progression of the game after the initial launch. I thought the start was excellent by making me care for the family, but since then, it feels like it's just flashback that I don't really care as much because it's a lot of fluff. What I am interested in is seeing how the story unfold with the family, but what I get is lengthy flashback instead.

The many paths in this game also worried me. We can already see the latest update filled with WIP options. This is worrying because those WIP options would need to be developed too which then further delay the story progression for the next update. The dev definitely works hard to make this the best game he could make, but my opinion for new dev is always to not be overly ambitious. The goal should not be to make the best game. The goal should be to make a good game that can be well maintained. Once the dev is more experienced (and hopefully also more financially secure), then a more ambitious game could be made.

I remember seeing 4k+ renders and 50 animations number being mentioned, and it's the evidence that dev worked hard on this. It's true that dev works hard, but I'm never a fan of raw numbers like that. IMO, it's more about how the number is being utilized. For example, do the current scenes really need 4k+ renders and 50 animations? Would all those WIP options be finished if existing scenes use less renders/animations instead?

Overall, I feel like it's unsustainable for a new solo dev to make a game with that many paths where each scene also consist of that many renders/animations. Something's gotta give IMO. For my personal preference, I'd reduce the amount of paths and renders/animations per scene, then use that time to progress the story forward instead. Ultimately, I think forward progression is probably what most players are interested in.

Daddy-S

Aug 27, 2022
Are some of the older W.I.P paths continued in this update or is this just carrying on from the end point? this is the problem I have with these unfinished path's. The whole update could be older paths or could be continuing the story and just adding more paths to finish in the future, unless its pointed out I feel I need to start over every update just in case something was added from before.

Reactions: pochops

Daddy-S

Aug 27, 2022
everyone here fail to realize I am busting my ass working on this and what I get in return is only complaining if you fail to realise how this kills my will to work then you don’t understand creative process. Also this community support people that don’t give a fuck even to reply. And work for five months to produce what I did in one. Like I said 600 rendera times 20 minutes per render that alone is about 8 days of continuous work and where is animations, programming, sound design and to get what people shit all over me because their path is not the one supported atm. Or you didn’t get much content for it. And 0 patreon increase and patreon base right now is so fucking low I can’t even pay for what I used to make it. I don’t know how not to get disappointed in this community…
Bro it's not all complaining its feedback and is important, you listen to the points people make and decide yourself whats merited and whats not. You should understand not everyone will be happy with your choices, if you take everything to heart and blow up about it you may as well stop now or never look here again because very few things in life are so perfect the "complaints" are barely visable. Also if you do blow up you will potentially lose income simply because people will question your mental state and ability to continue.

I really like the VN so far but I dislike the fact there are 69 path's that I have to go back too every update to check if something was added there. This is not complaining its how I feel about this VN and you should take it as just that, feedback and do or not do with that information as you please.

Yngling

Nov 15, 2020
I can only speak for myself, but I'm not quite enjoying the progression of the game after the initial launch. I thought the start was excellent by making me care for the family, but since then, it feels like it's just flashback that I don't really care as much because it's a lot of fluff. What I am interested in is seeing how the story unfold with the family, but what I get is lengthy flashback instead.

The many paths in this game also worried me. We can already see the latest update filled with WIP options. This is worrying because those WIP options would need to be developed too which then further delay the story progression for the next update. The dev definitely works hard to make this the best game he could make, but my opinion for new dev is always to not be overly ambitious. The goal should not be to make the best game. The goal should be to make a good game that can be well maintained. Once the dev is more experienced (and hopefully also more financially secure), then a more ambitious game could be made.

I remember seeing 4k+ renders and 50 animations number being mentioned, and it's the evidence that dev worked hard on this. It's true that dev works hard, but I'm never a fan of raw numbers like that. IMO, it's more about how the number is being utilized. For example, do the current scenes really need 4k+ renders and 50 animations? Would all those WIP options be finished if existing scenes use less renders/animations instead?

Overall, I feel like it's unsustainable for a new solo dev to make a game with that many paths where each scene also consist of that many renders/animations. Something's gotta give IMO. For my personal preference, I'd reduce the amount of paths and renders/animations per scene, then use that time to progress the story forward instead. Ultimately, I think forward progression is probably what most players are interested in.
Well said. I absolutely loved the intial release. Despite (or due to?) the huge file size, the game looked really polished and the characters were introduced in a way that really gripped me.

The last couple of updates have been about a flashback. One with a lot of hot scenes but still a flashback. And one with a huge number of paths which probably will have some kind of impact on the present. But many of these paths (in the flashback!) are still WIP! That worries me a lot actually. The content may be great at face value but I would really like story progression the present.

Pax Draconis

Aug 18, 2023
Well said. I absolutely loved the intial release. Despite (or due to?) the huge file size, the game looked really polished and the characters were introduced in a way that really gripped me.

The last couple of updates have been about a flashback. One with a lot of hot scenes but still a flashback. And one with a huge number of paths which probably will have some kind of impact on the present. But many of these paths (in the flashback!) are still WIP! That worries me a lot actually. The content may be great at face value but I would really like story progression the present.
I'm going to actually applaud the use of flashbacks in the narration. For one it allows the dev to play with time, fleshing out backstories and relationships instead of a lot of games where the MC wakes up from a coma or similar trope, comes home after death of father, false imprisonment or the like of several other overused tropes. Those are all narrative devices to create a tabula rasa so that the main character is as in the dark as players beginning the game for the first time.

Another benefit is the ability of telling a lot of the backstory in flashback which can be entertaining as opposed to straight exposition.

It also gives agency to the player to sort of construct the given circumstances of the present day character as they would wish.

It allows the dev to tailor what characters and scenes to include in the present day based on the choices of the character in the past.

A current example would be the spanking scene with Abby. Those who have spanking/domination/sadist fetishes can pursue that, whereas those who find hurting women or inflicting pain distasteful can choose different choices and not arrive at said scene.

Another instance, hypothetical for certain: Say in one of the current backstories with Abigail the MC goes all the way with her to completion and the flashback ends and then it cuts to Abby and Isi finishing their conversation about kissing and then Abbi gets up and wishes Isi good night, then goes to the nursery to check on hers and MC's kid. (This satisifies those players with the impregnation and pregnancy fetish without exposing other players who dislike said fetish.) That scene would only come about if certain choices were made in the backstory. But for other players who don't have those kinks they could make other choices and that infant character wouldn't exist in their preferred playthrough. (Such a narrative device would also allow for another optional flashback where players could indulge in other polarizing fetishes such as pregnant sex.) It would make it canonical to that player's playthrough while others who dislike said fetish are allowed to avoid it without thus having to create double renders or more depending on number of characters for the dev throughout the game.

As for those who think Peacemaker is biting off too much with all the current paths? I have these answers.
1. Perhaps; and so a very promising early game ends in abandonment.
2. Peacemaker's talent and scope match his/her/their ambition and they pull off a game with a truly mazelike amount of paths and choices.
3. They may be frontloading their choices in these flashbacks so that the narrative unfolds in a planned and finite amount of branches based on the character's current choices and further along in the story there will be fewer choices for branching as time will not be elongated from delving into the past but much more strictured by keeping time to the present.

All in all I wish Peacemaker luck and fortune in the endeavor and hope to be in a position to lend more than moral support in the future.

Last edited:
4.30 star(s) 12 Votes