VN Unreal Engine Abandoned The Vlogger [v0.1] [DreamBig Games]

cooperdk

Engaged Member
Jul 23, 2017
As others have mentioned, it is total overkill and completely unnecessary to use a large engine like Unreal for a game like this.

Jun 13, 2018
Why does pic 8, the one of the in game website have the game Protag's vid shown with rl vids? That kind of throws things when you have the game models next to those rl people.

spam753

Aug 6, 2017
Right now the only choice is the main characters name.

Using Unreal for a kinetic novel with only pre-rendered static images is like sending an aircraft carrier to get your groceries.

DreamBig Games

Donor
Game Developer
May 27, 2017
why not renpy?
As others have mentioned, it is total overkill and completely unnecessary to use a large engine like Unreal for a game like this.

I don't like RenPy as much as I like Unreal. I already know Unreal ( Cyndy, my first game was done in Unreal), Unreal would allow me easily to integrate videos ( I don't know if RenPY allows that, or if it can do it in a good way ). And the game is using < 100 MB of Ram when running, so it's pretty light, it should run on all systems.
Below is a picture of my game and a RenPy one ( Babysitter ), look at the used RAM . 1566885094729.png

Also, Unreal can be used to make anything: Simple PowerPoint-like clicker games, Candy Crush like games, AAA like games, so for me, it'a matter of using what I know best if the tool can do the job.

Reactions: vgyew

DreamBig Games

Donor
Game Developer
May 27, 2017
Right now the only choice is the main characters name.

Using Unreal for a kinetic novel with only pre-rendered static images is like sending an aircraft carrier to get your groceries.
Read my other comment, and you might realize that the Aircraft carrier is using less fuel than your Tesla :D .

DreamBig Games

Donor
Game Developer
May 27, 2017
Why does pic 8, the one of the in game website have the game Protag's vid shown with rl vids? That kind of throws things when you have the game models next to those rl people.
I never thought that might be a problem, at least it never was for me... I have used that mashup to create a website where people would upload their recordings and get paid for them.

aluoaniki

Sep 29, 2018
Read my other comment, and you might realize that the Aircraft carrier is using less fuel than your Tesla :D .
ren'py is easy to compress, if unreal is the same then you've convinced me.

and i really appreciate game dev actively responds to questions on forum.