Zee95

Game Developer
Sep 17, 2017
You are right, conversion to webp is an additional job after all the post-processing, but it can be done automatically as a batch job.
You just have to convert images to webp and if you wish, videos to webm, but there is no need to modify any script files if you keep original file extensions. Ren'Py does not care if the file extension does not match the file type. You can convert compression to webp, but keep png extensions and the game will still work.

You can use xnconvert for the batch conversion, for example. You just have to keep file extensions.
I'll check it out, maybe in 0.20, or 0.21. Thanks for the advice.

Reactions: lamarks and gigan

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
@Penfold Mole yes and no for this game.When you convert all the pictures then you must change in 2-3 scipts files a few thinks because there is written .png or .jpg and that cause errors in the game.For example: If i remember when the game starts and the mc stands in front from the house.Or for the animation: The scene with Adelle in the living room.
It looks like you didn't understand what I said. If you convert files from png or jpg to webp while keeping the original file extensions, then there is no need to change any script files.

For example, let's say there's a normal png file named "building.png": "building" is the name, "png" is the extension and its compression is png.

Now, right before publishing the game, you get a batch converter to convert all png images to webp, but you do not change the file extension to webp on any of the files. The result is not a webp file named "building.webp", but a file named "building.png" that has webp compression. The compression and extension do not match.

Windows explorer, windows image viewer and some windows-based content-unaware programs will not be able to open this kind of image file, not before you change its extension to webp.
Ren'Py is content-aware as non-windows software has been for ages and it doesn't give a shit about the wrong extension. It looks at the file header, recognizes webp and opens it as a completely normal webp file.

Get it? If you don't change file names nor extensions, you don't have to change any script files in any way.

gigan

Engaged Member
Modder
Nov 7, 2017
@Penfold Mole i have a question.Maybe i´m to tired but how to to make it with xnconvert that he convert it to webp but without to change the ending?

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
I haven't really tried xnconvert, it was just an example that is free for commercial use and supports webp.
It seems there's a bug in it and it ignores the "preserve extension" option. I expected it to work. Well, maybe there's a workaround somewhere. Can't really search for it now.

I've used Irfanview for my personal use, but you'd have to buy a licence for commercial use... if you want to be honest and respectful, of course :rolleyes:

There's also @bossapplesauce's cruncher in the tools section of the forum. I'm not sure if the transparency issue is resolved by now, though.

Well, there's always imagemagick and scripting...

bas

retired
Respected User
Donor
Former Staff
May 6, 2017
I haven't really tried xnconvert, it was just an example that is free for commercial use and supports webp.
It seems there's a bug in it and it ignores the "preserve extension" option. I expected it to work. Well, maybe there's a workaround somewhere. Can't really search for it now.

I've used Irfanview for my personal use, but you'd have to buy a licence for commercial use... if you want to be honest and respectful, of course :rolleyes:

There's also @bossapplesauce's cruncher in the tools section of the forum. I'm not sure if the transparency issue is resolved by now, though.

Well, there's always imagemagick and scripting...
My cruncher uses cwebp, which breaks the alpha channel (transparency) in webp files.

Reactions: Canto Forte

depechedNode

Oct 10, 2017
There are several ways to convert images to webp and change extensions, here are some freeware batch tools I use if anyone interested:

- Batch converts any image format to webp.

Renamer - Batch renaming tool. There's a new version but I love this old freeware one. Example to use with "PNG"; select "add rule" - "replace" - "find: .webp" - "replace: .png" - untick "skip extension"

3rop

Sep 6, 2017
A path - we save Adele.
B path - we kill kidnapper.
C path - we don't save Adele.
I'm right?

Reactions: Zee95

gigan

Engaged Member
Modder
Nov 7, 2017
@Zee95 this might interest you because your game is on their site too:

and here's your game but the site is in italian language:

krys69

Sep 6, 2017
Isn't Zee a patreon customer? If so than he can get them do deal with this problem since they suppose to make sure shit like this don't happen any Dev's. :unsure::confused:

Zee95

Game Developer
Sep 17, 2017

The Way 0.19a. Release.
Eng vers:
Rus vers:

Thanks to for text editing!
Changelog:
Continuation of path A&B.

205 images. (5 animations) Total: 2319 images.
Text: about 800 lines of text.

gigan

Engaged Member
Modder
Nov 7, 2017
Haha €6,99 for my game, which i share for free XD
I think they take the money for the translation.
That was the first thing I thought. And afterwards I wanted to tell you that your game is offered there.

gigan

Engaged Member
Modder
Nov 7, 2017
Thanks for letting me know this. But I will not deal with them. Let them do what they want.
You're welcome.btw I would not have counted that you now still the update will release.for me it is 1:30 clock in the morning.For me it was always during the day.i expected it today or tomorrow after reading your patreon page that 99% of the scipt is done.

3.70 star(s) 44 Votes