3.70 star(s) 78 Votes

kameohawk

Dec 16, 2017
That was what I was getting at in my own way, though it was generally liked here, he based success off the amount of supporters.
That's all he could base it off of unless he's doing it as a labour of love, which I doubt many people can do. Stars don't pay the bills sadly.

ILCjr

Dec 27, 2018
That's all he could base it off of unless he's doing it as a labour of love, which I doubt many people can do. Stars don't pay the bills sadly.
Though I get what you mean, not making the desired amount of money (Or not garnering the desired support in other ways) does not necessarily constitute failure of a product. Now, I will say that I do know that public like of a product does not equate to the success of a product as well. When it comes to this one, the failure was more on the developers end, and not because of the game itself.

Last edited:

cadwaladr

Aug 4, 2017
I think the "lack of success" was just an easy explanation to tag onto why he quit the game. That is a lot more cordial than saying " I had a meltdown and rage quit" which is what happened. Quite frankly, he just killed his development career. People aren't going to trust him after this, if he ever comes back. Would've been better for everyone if he just quit coming to this website, which caused the rage quit, than to just abandon the game because he got mad at people asking dumb questions.
I think you're right, he rage quit but people don't rage quit like that without there being other issues at play.

However, so what if people don't trust him. Trust him with what? He's suspended his billing and deleting his Patreon page. He's not asking anyone to trust him. And there's nothing to stop him coming back as a different name with a different game. And no one would be any wiser. He's not really lost anything except maybe $100.

But what we've lost is a developer who engaged with his audience, was a regular visitor to this thread, helped people and was seemingly wantong to become more engaged. I didn't know he had a discord until MasterBaitor mentioned it but if he did, he didn't when I was a patron (before his summer hiatus). If he comes back he won't be as engaged.

cadwaladr

Aug 4, 2017
Stars don't mean anything when it comes to the success of a dev. It doesn't matter how well received a game is if it isn't making any money.

Those 4 stars translated to less than 50 patrons for 2 years work.

Game never took off.

Plus he was far too oversensitive.
I think he was too oversensitive. Perhaps he didn't have the temperament to be a developer who engages with the community, but if he was doing this as a labour of love (which I think) it's not surprising he was sensitive to the repeated criticism thrown his way from people in the position of ignorance.

Maybe the only successful developers are those who only engage with sycophants or are con artists dragging in thousands of dollars on the promise of a game "soon".

That said, while I enjoyed the game I can understand why it wasn't that successful. It was a bit repetitive and the updates were quite short and took a long time to deliver.

Cloud9-Kojack

Nov 10, 2019
I think he was too oversensitive. Perhaps he didn't have the temperament to be a developer who engages with the community, but if he was doing this as a labour of love (which I think) it's not surprising he was sensitive to the repeated criticism thrown his way from people in the position of ignorance.

Maybe the only successful developers are those who only engage with sycophants or are con artists dragging in thousands of dollars on the promise of a game "soon".

That said, while I enjoyed the game I can understand why it wasn't that successful. It was a bit repetitive and the updates were quite short and took a long time to deliver.
Could you deal with consatnt insults, DMs demanding you make changes you don't wan't? Getting the odd threat or degrading comment for your hard work....Yeah, any normal person would get "tired" of that....

There's a reason why most of the succesful devs are both quiet, and have a bad attitude towards scrubs who make demands of them.

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
Could you deal with consatnt insults, DMs demanding you make changes you don't wan't? Getting the odd threat or degrading comment for your hard work....Yeah, any normal person would get "tired" of that....
Yes.

I have a pretty thick skin. Words don't upset me.

Then again i'm a 4 foot 8 ginger with 2 wasp stings for tits ... i've heard a lot harsher things said to my face than "your work sucks".

Snugglepuff

Conversation Conqueror
Apr 27, 2017
Abandoned :oops: What?? Why??
Wasn't getting many supporters (financial) for two years work, and apparently the retarded repetition of already answered questions here, lead to him rage quitting.

Then again i'm a 4 foot 8 ginger with 2 wasp stings for tits
Avaron is a concealable weapon - confirmed.

Crazymic79

Jul 31, 2018
Yes.

I have a pretty thick skin. Words don't upset me.

Then again i'm a 4 foot 8 ginger with 2 wasp stings for tits ... i've heard a lot harsher things said to my face than "your work sucks".
I feel your pain, redhead as well. Kind of a req for being one i think. That or good anger management skills.

• Love
Reactions: Avaron1974

Demoness_Kiss

Forum Fanatic
Jun 9, 2017
I feel your pain, redhead, as well. Kind of a req for being one i think. That or good anger management skills.
remember: redheads have fire in their blood and usually they're hot as hell u.u

the world fapped while thinking about Ygritte from Game of thrones ;)

Snugglepuff

Conversation Conqueror
Apr 27, 2017
To be fair, as someone with a kid, I get that a lot
That's different. That's kids being kids.
Not (supposedly) fully grown adults who appear to either be too lazy and selfish, or lack the most basic common sense and initiative that it makes you wonder how they even survive (yeah, it's that bad half time).

For a dev to say that was one of the main contributory factors behind their decision to stop working on their project, does not reflect well on them at all (and despite how bad some people can be), makes them look far worse.

kameohawk

Dec 16, 2017
That's different. That's kids being kids.
Not (supposedly) fully grown adults who appear to either be too lazy and selfish, or lack the most basic common sense and initiative that it makes you wonder how they even survive (yeah, it's that bad half time).

For a dev to say that was one of the main contributory factors behind their decision to stop working on their project, does not reflect well on them at all (and despite how bad some people can be), makes them look far worse.
I know sorry, I was just making a joke. You're right. He should have kept the heid. No one should go into a project expecting immediate success. Hell, its not even guaranteed that you'll have success with your first game even if it's complete. It's a journey and it's a hard one. He obviously thought he couldn't wait when weighed against the effort he was putting in.

3.70 star(s) 78 Votes