3.70 star(s) 78 Votes

kraggy

Oct 3, 2018
Quick fix for the first problem. Within the "game" folder create one with the path "images\maps\1" and save the attached image file as "map_1_garage_exterior_night.png". That should solve the missing image problem.

I'm not sure about the second problem. I haven't been able to repeat it. I'll have a look and see what I can do.
I'll try a new save might be a bug on old save then let you know it it appears again

kraggy

Oct 3, 2018
Quick fix for the first problem. Within the "game" folder create one with the path "images\maps\1" and save the attached image file as "map_1_garage_exterior_night.png". That should solve the missing image problem.

I'm not sure about the second problem. I haven't been able to repeat it. I'll have a look and see what I can do.
new save fixed the inventory problem

sickmind

Dec 6, 2016
I think this has a lot of potential and you've done a lot of things well, but there were some issues I had:
  • QTE seem unnecessary and the timer to go from the kitchen to her room was really fast.
  • Maybe it's just me but I thought the navigation was inconvenient being down in the corners, even more so because you can only click on the arrow, seems like the text should be clickable too.
  • Minor bug: The playing cards were still in the cabinet after I had already picked them up, they reappear after you've read her journal and she's there in the living room.
  • The hacking event was confusing, it took me a while to figure out I needed to type a letter and then hit enter in large part because whatever you type doesn't show up on screen so it seemed like the game wasn't working. Expecting the player to have either memorized or taken notes of all of her bolded information is a bit much. It would be fine if there was one thing to remember, but there's 8 possible answers and that's after you have to randomly guess letters to narrow it down.

Reactions: Chrathrard

Midnite Guerrilla

Game Developer
Mar 23, 2018
I think this has a lot of potential and you've done a lot of things well, but there were some issues I had:
  • QTE seem unnecessary and the timer to go from the kitchen to her room was really fast.
  • Maybe it's just me but I thought the navigation was inconvenient being down in the corners, even more so because you can only click on the arrow, seems like the text should be clickable too.
  • Minor bug: The playing cards were still in the cabinet after I had already picked them up, they reappear after you've read her journal and she's there in the living room.
  • The hacking event was confusing, it took me a while to figure out I needed to type a letter and then hit enter in large part because whatever you type doesn't show up on screen so it seemed like the game wasn't working. Expecting the player to have either memorized or taken notes of all of her bolded information is a bit much. It would be fine if there was one thing to remember, but there's 8 possible answers and that's after you have to randomly guess letters to narrow it down.
Thanks for the feedback. This kind of constructive criticism is exactly what I was hoping for. It's hard when you're the sole writer, artist, and programmer to step back and view this with a different perspective.

• I get the point about the QTE, I added them to make it a bit more of a game and to practise my programming. I'm not committed to them and, since my plan is now more of a visual novel rather than the Sierra style adventure game I originally planned, it's likely they'll get removed. That may remove some of the bugs.
  • Re. Navigation, making the text clickable is a good idea, I shall look into implementing that for the next release.
  • I've been having problems with the inventory. It's not quite working as it should and it's probably down to a silly coding error that I have yet to spot. As far as I'm aware since v0.3.2 it's, like you say, a minor problem and shouldn't be game breaking. I'm aware of the issue and hoping to get it fixed for the next release (hopefully beginning of July).
  • I understand what you're saying about the difficulty of the hacking event. Again, it's a stepping back and seeing it from another's point of view thing. I know her answers backwards so when I play it through I can guess the answer within a few letters. I like the "minigame" because it fills in some of Mrs Hunter's back story which helps you with the quiz later on and means the story, as it progresses, makes more sense. I get what you're saying about the lack of feedback and that I will change.

Qoo-Rilla

Jun 14, 2018
Ahh wtf. I try all keys a-z and A-Z nothing is right. Land Lady give me Heather, Merrick, Actress, Matthew, History, Journal, Fashion, America. Still no right. WHAT IS PASSWORD? i say now finnish word PERKELE!!!

Edit. I start all new start and now is work. M.....

Last edited:

sofakinhot

Dec 9, 2018
Got the following error message when trying to "- READ NEW ENTRIES -" in the journal.

Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
ScriptError: could not find label 'pc_journal_entry_2'.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "journal.rpyc", line 9, in script
  File "D:\Games\TheWish-0.3.2-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 1633, in execute
    rv = renpy.game.script.lookup(target)
  File "D:\Games\TheWish-0.3.2-pc\renpy\script.py", line 875, in lookup
    raise ScriptError("could not find label '%s'." % str(original))
ScriptError: could not find label 'pc_journal_entry_2'.

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 7.1.3.1092
The Wish 0.3.2
Fri May 31 09:41:30 2019

3.70 star(s) 78 Votes