justjakka

Jul 22, 2018
UABEA is what you'll need most of the time for Unity titles. AssetRipper is a bit overkill and it's for deeper kind of disassembly, not repacking. UABEA can unpack and repack stuff you edit back into the game files. So grab "seventh stable" release of it from .
Another good tool is UnityEx, but it has free version and payed version functionality differences (it can pack textures into .resS files, which prevents bloating filesize for edited textures, but it's nuanced), so I probably won't recommend it that much for such tasks.
wouldnt ever run unityex on bare metal
my point is AssetStudio is too old. the latest commit before it was archived is older than unitys engine ver that was used to build this game.

also a bit unrelated, do you have a guide how to load assets to spine from exported unity project (ik youve said previously an up to date spine ver is needed, still want to try it)

90o-o09

Jun 27, 2018
talking about unity asset unpackers, what about AssetRipper? it is open source and currently maintained
AssetStudio is kind of old and archived
you can do it with uabe as well easily, its just it lets you preview easily. just extract through plugins via uabe

Krongorka

Sep 22, 2017
wouldnt ever run unityex on bare metal
my point is AssetStudio is too old. the latest commit before it was archived is older than unitys engine ver that was used to build this game.

also a bit unrelated, do you have a guide how to load assets to spine from exported unity project (ik youve said previously an up to date spine ver is needed, still want to try it)
Like I said, I'm mostly using UABEA myself since it handles things better than older stuff.

As for loading assets in Spine. For .json animation files it's pretty straight-forward: you find "Import Data..." in menu and select the file you need.
And then there comes ThornSin's texture handling... so basically, game comes with standard resolution textures, like 512x512/1024x1024/2048x2048. But game's provided .atlas file contains original developer's asset information (original resolution, something like 5435x3414). So to unpack game's provided sprite sheets you'll need to do image scaling first to the resolution .atlas file provides. I'm using GIMP's scaling, but important note here: Set "Interpolation" to "None". It won't produce artifacts this way.
Once you upscaled all sprite sheets you can extract them with Spine's Texture Unpacker. ThornSin use Premultiplied Alpha in art, so you must check "Unpremultiply alpha" in Texture Unpacker. It's critical for correct image rendering in Spine.
After everything is done correctly you'll have scene properly loaded. After that... I'd suggest to learn how things work in editor.

As for rebuilding sprite sheet, this is the most painful part. You will have to pack sprite sheets to the same resolution which original .atlas file use and then rescale that image to original resolution it comes with the game. Any other resolution won't work. Sure, you can try to scale your new sprite sheet again, but in my experience it produce rough edges on sprites.

How game handles mismatch of .atlas information and actual texture resolution? I believe it's handled internally with some formula perhaps but I didn't figure it out.

So this is the method for texture handling some devs using (ThornSin is not the only one) and I hate it.

justjakka

Jul 22, 2018
Like I said, I'm mostly using UABEA myself since it handles things better than older stuff.

As for loading assets in Spine. For .json animation files it's pretty straight-forward: you find "Import Data..." in menu and select the file you need.
And then there comes ThornSin's texture handling... so basically, game comes with standard resolution textures, like 512x512/1024x1024/2048x2048. But game's provided .atlas file contains original developer's asset information (original resolution, something like 5435x3414). So to unpack game's provided sprite sheets you'll need to do image scaling first to the resolution .atlas file provides. I'm using GIMP's scaling, but important note here: Set "Interpolation" to "None". It won't produce artifacts this way.
Once you upscaled all sprite sheets you can extract them with Spine's Texture Unpacker. ThornSin use Premultiplied Alpha in art, so you must check "Unpremultiply alpha" in Texture Unpacker. It's critical for correct image rendering in Spine.
After everything is done correctly you'll have scene properly loaded. After that... I'd suggest to learn how things work in editor.

As for rebuilding sprite sheet, this is the most painful part. You will have to pack sprite sheets to the same resolution which original .atlas file use and then rescale that image to original resolution it comes with the game. Any other resolution won't work. Sure, you can try to scale your new sprite sheet again, but in my experience it produce rough edges on sprites.

How game handles mismatch of .atlas information and actual texture resolution? I believe it's handled internally with some formula perhaps but I didn't figure it out.

So this is the method for texture handling some devs using (ThornSin is not the only one) and I hate it.
thanks for the guide.
ill dig around and will check whats this rescaling thing is all about.
maybe will throw together a script for automatic image processing

Reactions: Krongorka

chambam

Sep 23, 2020
having a really annoying bug where I can't navigate in game menus, like the pause menu and dresser. Can't select anything or move up and down menus

SomethingWithY

Sep 14, 2017
Is there no way to change the map control? I just want to swap Z and X and change the confirm button to something else. Would've made it much easier if its DS4 controllable like NoR but unfortunately it's not

asdfinop

Aug 3, 2019

asdfinop

Aug 3, 2019
all attack knockdown
Any way to update this with new Unity standard (without Csharp file) to replace?
Okay, here's my first edit to make the game a bit harder. Every hit evokes oestrus and knocksdown. Next I'll see if I can make enemies not flinch when hit. Put the assembly file in ThornSin_Data/Managed

Any way to update this with new Unity standard (without Csharp file) to replace?

Nakkub

Formerly 'Nebukhanezzar'
Feb 9, 2018

Theres a new Unity standard? I mean, I guess I could take a look, but if they encrypted the game since I made that edit, it might be a bit annoying.

4.30 star(s) 42 Votes