Mod Ren'Py Abandoned Time For Dragons - Defiler Wings: Deranged Dragon Mod [29-07-2020] [Jman]

3.50 star(s) 8 Votes

LewdGanglia

Dec 13, 2020
Hey sometime ago I mentioned giving feedback on why the game felt savescummy even on easy but it was my own fault. Turns out that the few times I tried to retreat I had low health and that killed my dragon so I gave up on retreating ever, thinking it was bugged. Only much later found out that you lose health so should do it with more health. Maybe the game could say this when hovering the retreat button?

Also managed to deal with rage a bit more and specially infamy which I feel rises too high at the moment and gave me some enemies that without retreating I couldn't deal with but maybe you only want to mess with it on the new very easy difficulty. Also hope that on that new difficulty seals won't go down until you are bigger, maybe human sized.

Game was quite boring at the beginning due to slow evolution progress but when I reached human sized it became fun and had a good time. In general I can't provide much feedback but I think the new difficulty you are planning would probably be the ideal one for me at the moment.

If i could request something (which I don't know if it's technically feasible) is that when you review your objective you get the full text that your mother gives you since the small description didn't help me much and I had to search here for a solution.

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
Does the color of the crystal only depend on the location of the lair?
Yes.

Turns out that the few times I tried to retreat I had low health and that killed my dragon so I gave up on retreating ever, thinking it was bugged.
If you think something's bugged, tell me. I have a pretty quick turnaround.

Maybe the game could say this when hovering the retreat button?
On lower difficulties, maybe. I'll look into it.

Also managed to deal with rage a bit more and specially infamy which I feel rises too high at the moment and gave me some enemies that without retreating.
Retreating is a very important mechanic for small dragons who still want to cause havoc. I can't really make it grow any slower and retain integer values, or meaningful impact on the game.

Also hope that on that new difficulty seals won't go down until you are bigger, maybe human sized.
That's a thorny question. Seals always go down when Fear is nonzero, and small dragons can manage Fear by leaving mobilization up or avoiding Infamy (subsisting on wild animals, hunting dogs and goblins, etc). Easy has the feature that you never lose any seals when Fear is 0, and I'm adding a cheat option where seals never decrease unless you let some cultists get away with sacrificing.

I'm not sure if there should be an intermediate option.

Game was quite boring at the beginning due to slow evolution progress but when I reached human sized it became fun and had a good time.
That's the point, earning your fun. :p And the 'start as medium' option is there exactly for when you're bored of that part of the game.

If i could request something (which I don't know if it's technically feasible) is that when you review your objective you get the full text that your mother gives you since the small description didn't help me much and I had to search here for a solution.
I think the better solution would be to tell me which objective was confusing. You are also not required to take a quest before you're ready to start completing it.

I'm not very keen on having Mom repeat things, but I'll think about it.

Edit: Okay, quest reminders and retreat tooltips are in. Seals I'm not really wanting to touch, unless I get more detailed feedback why they're unmanageable even with the Easy bonus.

Edit2: Well, I suppose I can lower seal-changing Fear by 5 for the easiest setting. This will take away seal decay for quite a while, and will make the largest size less of a hassle to maintain. Might make things too easy, but you asked for it. :D

Last edited:

Aug 13, 2017
Would you like to add / return more complex mechanics for prisoners (as was already in one of the versions of the game)
1.not just escaped, but unsuccessfully escaped {eaten by wild animals / burned / frozen - depends on the den} Or, on the contrary, it was successful - they sent and decided to take revenge (if the courage is enough) on the dragon by becoming a thief or a servant of a knight. or did nothing or become a prostitute/slave voluntarily
2. Mechanics in the den -% of the fact that the girl self-drills in some interesting way (suffocates, lets herself be eaten ...) if she is unhappy in the den

--

And explain in more detail about the decrease in the mechanics of infamy - in my new game it does not fall below 3, although for about the second month I have been eating only wild animals and fish for the test.

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
...more complex mechanics for prisoners (as was already in one of the versions of the game)
1.not just escaped, but unsuccessfully escaped {eaten by wild animals / burned / frozen - depends on the den}
That's one of the DW 1.4.1 features I looked at and wrote off. There are two problems with this:
  • As it used to be, the gameplay effect is basically kicking the player without him having much input, as girls try to escape and kill themselves. I'm fine with the first, not so fine with the second.
  • The real kicker: no way to get good pictures for all these events. Most of the current pictures are 3D, crap or both; and some depict pretty rare situations.
I have a lot of other things on my list that would make for more interesting gameplay instead of this largely cosmetic feature, one that'd require me to come up and implement some sort of 'love' system as well. Maybe in a year or two. Maybe. :cautious:

Or, on the contrary, it was successful - they sent and decided to take revenge (if the courage is enough) on the dragon by becoming a thief or a servant of a knight. or did nothing or become a prostitute/slave voluntarily
I don't recall the escapees joining knights or thieves. At best, they became warriors or married a knight.

Anyway, it's a lot of effort for cosmetics. There are several other features in 1.4.1 that'd take priority, like spellcasting, giving gifts to captives, more achievements, a history log. And right now, my own plans are different and more focused on tangible gameplay changes.

So, maybe, in the far, far future.

Mechanics in the den -% of the fact that the girl self-drills in some interesting way (suffocates, lets herself be eaten ...) if she is unhappy in the den
That also suffers from a) being wholly negative, b) having little player input, since there are no 'girl comfort' mechanics and c) lack of pictures. Looking for and sorting through pictures takes a lot of my time away from dev work. :cry:

And explain in more detail about the decrease in the mechanics of infamy - in my new game it does not fall below 3...
You're probably experiencing the fact that Infamy will never go away completely, i.e. it can never be lowered below 25% of its highest value ever (listed in the Pride screen).

Edit: Or, as Mom puts it: "People have long memories, Son. While you can reduce your infamy by running away from fights, some of your reputation will always remain intact."

Last edited:

TBell

May 23, 2017
Well, just had a 'free the captives' oath sworn against my Small dragon with an infamy of 7/1. I'm too small to carry girls and haven't taken any captives. If I'm reading the thread right, that's only a 5% chance? Lucky me.

Is this "lol bad luck start over" territory, or is there some meaningful way to fight this guy? I don't have smuggler's isle unlocked yet as I still need to get two size increases and learn magic. Even if I just resign myself to a lifetime of lair hopping to delay the fight, this guy's gonna level in power way faster than I do.

I understand that there's an 'easier tier' of knight for weaker dragons, but at this point in the game I really don't think I should be attracting the notice of anyone on an epic quest. Short of an overly zealous sheepdog mad about his flock or something. And I haven't played this to its conclusion yet, but I'm fairly certain that 'easier tier' of knight is going to start out a hell of a lot stronger than 40 hp and 4 attack.

Last edited:

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
Well, just had a 'kill the dragon' oath sworn against my Small dragon with an infamy of 7/1. If I'm reading the thread right, that's only a 5% chance? Lucky me.
Indeed. :devilish:

Edit3:
I'm too small to carry girls and haven't taken any captives.
How would the knight know that? He swears the oath because he thinks you've got some captives, like all good dragons.

Is this "lol bad luck start over" territory, or is there some meaningful way to fight this guy?
Two solutions:
  • Reload and lower your infamy, the knight-spawning check is pretty deterministic.
  • Move lairs and keep moving. They can't kill you if they can't catch you, and will swear themselves blue chasing you. Gives shame, though.
I don't have smuggler's isle unlocket yet as I still need to get two size increases and learn magic.
Only one, the Queen quest unlocks at medium size.

Even if I just resign myself to a lifetime of lair hopping to delay the fight, this guy's gonna level in power way faster than I do.
Sure, but he's got a much lower cap than you do (245HP/23-43DAM), plus various mooks. Well, until the next version, that is.

Anyway, what you need to do is not to fight him, but level up enough that a) he won't kill you when you flee and b) you can waste his replacement, who's usually much weaker. Some strategic robbery might also help.

Edit to the edit:
I understand that there's an 'easier tier' of knight for weaker dragons, but at this point in the game I really don't think I should be attracting the notice of anyone on an epic quest.
Yeah, that'll get changed. Look at the screenshots a few pages back.

Short of an overly zealous sheepdog mad about his flock or something.
You'll love (or hate) a new sheep-related event. :p No dogs, though.

And I haven't played this to its conclusion yet, but I'm fairly certain that 'easier tier' of knight is going to start out a hell of a lot stronger than 40 hp and 4 attack.
80 HP, but (s)he actually does have 4 Attack. +8 Attack Mastery, though. :devilish:

Edit2: Basically, it's an interesting challenge, and I'd actually like it very much if you tried and reported back how it went. But it might not be fun for everyone.

And knight checks are once per month, so you can sort of plan for them if you're really methodical.

Edit4: But you actually gave me a minor idea. I'll make all the 'free captives' knights into Liberators. Seems thematic enough.

Last edited:

LewdGanglia

Dec 13, 2020
Retreat isn't bugged, I thought it was since I would always die trying to use but it was simply not knowing that I had to retreat with more health. Which is why I had to savescum a lot before. So my bad.

And the quest part I meant the tribe and forge. The quest reminder didn't give much detail on how to proceed and where to look for the forges and I forgot what she had said before. I can be weeks without playing, so I forget details and which is why I wanted to re-read the explanation in full on a log somewhere.

I won't have time for the next weeks maybe months depending on how things go but hopefully I will have time to try the new version you intend on releasing soon.

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
...simply not knowing that I had to retreat with more health.
You can still die even with full health if you take on something that can curbstomp you. But yeah, the game and mod have some pretty important mechanics that are more or less up for the player to discover for themselves.

And the quest part I meant the tribe and forge.
Forge?

The lizardman thing will get a minor tweak so that there's a different message when a tribe-founding minion gets released.

The quest reminder didn't give much detail on how to proceed and where to look for the forges and I forgot what she had said before.
Okay, that's fair. As I said, I enabled the option to have Mom go through the quest dialogue on demand.

I won't have time for the next weeks maybe months depending on how things go but hopefully I will have time to try the new version you intend on releasing soon.
Not so soon, I'm afraid. But anyway, thanks for the input, and I hope you had some fun.

Aug 13, 2017
I have destroyed the tree of elves and the head is with them. But in order to top up the remnants of the elves, you have to remove the barrier for 10 mana each time

And why not add the ability to make minions dig new moves in the lair?

Last edited:

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
I have destroyed the tree of elves and the head is with them.
Er, what head?

But in order to top up the remnants of the elves, you have to remove the barrier for 10 mana each time
It'll get worse. The WIP version has up to 20 max mana required, because the elves don't really have much combat power. :devilish:

There are mitigating factors, of course. Repeatedly raiding the Tree will make the mana cost come down.

And, well, you can continue running around in the Enchanted Forest forever, because it's big and the elves have all sorts of nooks and crannies there. You'll never 'top them up' completely.

On the other hand, you don't need to use 10 mana every time. The mist-dispelling magic lingers for a few days after your last visit.

And why not add the ability to make minions dig new moves in the lair?
Because then you or someone else will also ask "Why not add the ability to make minions do [X]?" There are lots of things that could be X, and I've said on several occasions that making a proper minion-based game out of TfD is a very large project. Not as large as writing TfD in the first place, but certainly comparable to the entire mod so far.

Edit: In other news, I just implemented 'blue balls' and 'too tiny hoard' sleeping mechanics. The Dragon is becoming more and more like a Tamagochi, you need to take care of him or he'll be unhappy. :sneaky:

Ambjorn187

Sep 9, 2020
Edit: In other news, I just implemented 'blue balls' and 'too tiny hoard' sleeping mechanics. The Dragon is becoming more and more like a Tamagochi, you need to take care of him or he'll be unhappy. :sneaky:
Now that is just evil:devilish:, I hope it doesn't come into effect right away for a tiny dragon.

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
Now that is just evil...
What, you don't like Pokemon, Tamagochi and RL pets? :p

...I hope it doesn't come into effect right away for a tiny dragon.
For treasure, made it depend on difficulty level. You choose Hard or Impossible, you were warned about it. :D

Blue balls are kinda binary for a tiny dragon. He's depressed when he doesn't get any virgins, and ecstatic after just one shagging. Maybe that should get changed. On the other hand, it's pretty thematic.

What it does is make the Witch much more attractive, especially since milkings now recharge ritual and healing timers. Yes, unlimited healing is gone, too. :devilish:

Edit: Well, I guess I can make tiny and small dragons on normal and below suffer only at most 1 and 2 rage per blue-balled sleeping cycle.

Edit2: If you want some drama to offset the grind here, Ravager has just announced it's going to Steam. I'm sure some real hilarity will ensue, even if the devs are trying try to stay as level as they can.

Last edited:

Aug 13, 2017
Er, what head?
The auto-translator is joking, but I didn't check what he suggested there.

I have lair in the middle of this magical forest, having driven out the elves from there.

And when i leave the house in the сentre of magical forest (where I now live) why should I remove the barrier every time?

after all, when I pass the barrier and go to the center of the forest, he writes to me that I have returned to the lair (home sweet home). That is, this moment is partially applied

-
I hope now I have formed the question more clearly

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
The auto-translator is joking...
Seems to be a recurring theme... :D

I have lair in the middle of this magical forest...
And when i leave the house in the сentre of magical forest (where I now live) why should I remove the barrier every time?
Well, this is more of a gameplay thing, you don't get a free pass to the Forest, ever. I suppose the reasoning could be something like that the despoiled Grove is no longer within the Elven mists, but gets magically transported to the edge of the mists, into the non-enchanted part. It's a magical forest, after all.

...when I pass the barrier and go to the center of the forest, he writes to me that I have returned to the lair (home sweet home).
That could be justified as you going to the current 'misty' Forest (which requires dispelling the mists) and then following the road to the former center of the forest, which is now outside the enchanted zone. Until the Elves set up another Grove, that is.

Anyway, if you have suggestions how to make this better without trivialising access to the Enchanted Forest, let me know.

kagurodraven

Dec 16, 2017
Is there any way to guarantee Satiety in the early game beyond save scumming? Because I can't get enough to keep going without doing so, the only food sources are geese(not worth the cost), and sheep(which don't show up often for me, and lead to injuries)

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
Is there any way to guarantee Satiety in the early game beyond save scumming?
Villages, as specified here. Unless you play hard or impossible, you should be able to raid small villages, and medium ones when mobilization is 0 (which you really should strive for).

Tuna might also work for a while, but requires a specific head.

geese(not worth the cost)
Will be a little more profitable next version, and can help with Rage. But otherwise, yeah, not so good.

sheep(which don't show up often for me, and lead to injuries)
Injuries? Are you using goblins as meatshields? Because their injuries and even deaths are very much expected.

Aug 13, 2017
The current version of the little dragon is too problematic. Food - only geese, sheep. After a couple of goals / improvements - piglets. Hypothetically, it is possible to catch foxes and hares in the forest, but there is a risk of being shocked by the guardian elf. If you take a blue head, then up to a medium size + you can fish. Goblins and a pack of dogs can be found in the mountains. In the sky, if you have wings, catch geese. By sacrificing goblins, you can also win the assault on a village. But it will raise the publicity and the risk of the knight's arrival. - I really liked the action of this mod. While you are small, allies should row for you, and then it is easier to take the blow yourself --- And I realized that there was a problem with the knights at the beginning of the game. Let's say a knight finds you in 4 months of searching. While you are small, you sleep about 10 times during this time. Accordingly, the knight has 10 actions for pumping / finding friends. And then he comes to you to do ahtakht When you are large, you sleep only 3 times during this time. And accordingly the knight comes to you practically "without pants". I remember very well what terminators with a full company of gopnik friends ran after my little dragon from the first known. And what kind of wimp (who managed to find only a couple of people) comes for the second time, when I pumped up and have an 8-10 level of fame

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
The current version of the little dragon is too problematic.
Maybe. It'll get worse before it gets better, though. :p

Food - only geese, sheep.
Villages.

But it will raise the publicity and the risk of the knight's arrival.
So will sheep. And you can lower your infamy by throwing fights (or sleeping/staying away from civilisation for a while).

After a couple of goals / improvements - piglets.
The man+dog version of pigs (mobilization 0) can be beaten with a starting dragon. Which is why managing infamy and mobilization is so important while small. Cows are not viable for a while, true.

Hypothetically, it is possible to catch foxes and hares in the forest, but there is a risk of being shocked by the guardian elf.
I'm changing that so mobilization 0 means no elf patrols intrude on the hunt.

Let's say a knight finds you in 4 months of searching. While you are small, you sleep about 10 times during this time.
More like ~16: 4*28 / ( 3 (active) + 4 (sleep) ) = 16. I'm not sure about how long a knight takes to find the lair, actually, because currently it's very random and depends on how many times you sleep, as you note.

And then he comes to you to do ahtakht When you are large, you sleep only 3 times during this time.
The goal I'm aiming for in the WIP version is an average of about 6 months for finding the Lair from zero, and knights/thieves will do their thing regardless of how many times you sleep.

Accordingly, the knight has 10 actions for pumping / finding friends.
Since lair-finding progress is largely dependent on these events, with an average of about 7.5/100 'lair knowledge' per event, it really takes more like 13-15 events. And it doesn't depend on total time, but rather the number of events. So theoretically, anytime a knight finds your lair, he's more or less the same on average. But the variance is pretty large.

And accordingly the knight comes to you practically "without pants". I remember very well what terminators with a full company of gopnik friends ran after my little dragon from the first known. And what kind of wimp (who managed to find only a couple of people) comes for the second time...
That is really not what's happening. Sleep time doesn't cause such a discrepancy, because lair-finding progress depends on the number of 'adventures', not total time spent searching.

I think there are two explanations: 1) RNG. There are 'find lair' events ("finding his Lair was not easy") that speed up lair discovery, but do nothing for the knight's power. If you randomly get a lot of those, the knight will be weaker. 2) Starting position. High-infamy knights start with some knowledge of your lair, and thus have less chances to acquire followers and equipment. They do start with some extra items, but not followers.

Also, currently, knights and thieves only find the lair if they get a 'find lair' event. So they might hang around for a while at 99 progress, and continue accumulating power. Which is another quite random aspect.

I have already changed all this, to one degree or another. High-infamy knights can get followers from the start, they have more consistent starting boosts, they upgrade to successively more powerful incarnations (from 'old knights' to pimped-out angels), knights/thieves upgrade roughly every two weeks and no longer dally when they've almost found the lair.

Also note that even right now, knights/thieves can 'savescum' your lair if they're somewhat weaker than the dragon.

Last edited:

kagurodraven

Dec 16, 2017
Villages, as specified here. Unless you play hard or impossible, you should be able to raid small villages, and medium ones when mobilization is 0 (which you really should strive for).

Injuries? Are you using goblins as meatshields? Because their injuries and even deaths are very much expected.
Ah, I just kind of assumed that villages would be a bit much for the smallest form, thank you.

Ah. Right. Using Goblins in my party. I totally remembered to do that. I'm absolutely not a moron no sir.

• Haha
Reactions: Jman9
3.50 star(s) 8 Votes