Mod Ren'Py Abandoned Time For Dragons - Defiler Wings: Deranged Dragon Mod [29-07-2020] [Jman]

3.50 star(s) 8 Votes

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
Lots of fear = lots of Infernal Seals being popped, even when you kill all the cultists. :p

zzczys

Jul 20, 2019
Nice avatar.

I like games with debug mode/ easy modding. See how far I can go before it completely breaks.

How to call an event in console? just paste the label;

label event_sky_ifrit:

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
That avatar just made it into the game, too. So you can be Jman the Mad Multilimbed Monster if you want to. :cool:

Edit:
How to call an event in console? just paste the label;

label event_sky_ifrit:
'renpy.call('event_sky_ifrit')'. Open up an encounter screen first, or some stuff might be missing.

Aug 18, 2020
So, I feel with my preference changes to evolutions, in other words adding 33% more and reducing prices of base game ones, I have managed to get a significantly better "time". As the screenshots prove, I have garnered size medium in my latest sleep cycle, and have gotten to the dragonspawn quest with a maiden due to pop at the next sleep cycle. All of this with an elemental head. I have only passed 129 days. The reason I stopped was A) to make this checkpoint post, and B) I reinstalled the game recently and havent gotten around to fixing the skills bug again, and so medium bricks combat. Will fix when I feel like it and continue the game.

I feel like once dragonspawn is complete, early game is effectively over. But this is still nowhere near even the halfway mark, what with the next noteworthy quest requiring 100 defense, a task significantly more time intensive than even the 90 day wait for a maiden to pop. After that, requiring 1k gold is somewhat absurd, but manageable. Let's say you target silver mines and craft up 100s of tiaras, a very generous estimate would put you at 50 turns, at least. Then you need 100 lizardspawn. And you have to have them in lair, a task requiring a shit ton of gold to upkeep, and way too much time. Let's say you manage to somehow get a 20 slot lair and fill it to the brim with pits, ignoring all defence. You now have to wait 225 turns for eggs, surviving knights and thieves with nary a trap to head them off, only minions. Then, if you want to complete this in a timely manner, you need so many green hatcheries and the demolition of so many pits that it is kinda absurd. If there was an option to upgrade cage or farm or pit capacity, that would be neat, btw. But anyway, all this took a total of, at least, 375 turns, if you devote everything to quest completion. Quest completion is the most obvious route to victory after all. This is with miraculous RNG and perfect decision making and resource management, and no wasted turns by over sleeping.

All this would put you way down on seals, and forces sacrifices of valuable maidens, which you need to do by at least robbing them from the market district, and each combat will massively drain your squad, forcing even more satiety need, forcing more turns left gathering satiety, making less stamina spent towards gathering sacrifice material, and overall leaves very little time available for evolution, questing, and just general advancement in activities the player wants to pursue, if you still are able to manage to balance these feats consistently. This is all on normal difficulty, by the way, and to restate, as well as easier and more evolutions.

Even after playing this for, like, a week and messing with its code, I still do not know all (or really any past the fairy) victory conditions. If those was made clearer then it would very much lead to an "easier" experience. Anyway, that is all for this post, just my commentary on my most recent playthrough progress.

Jul 8, 2019
Changing heads at the start is a bit buggy. I think it can be fixed by changing 'set_avatar()' in 'PlayableCharacter.rpy' to this:
Code:
        def set_avatar(self,avatar):
            self.avatar = eq_resize(avatar,500)
            self.sidebar_avatar = eq_resize(avatar,250)
            self.combat_art = [eq_resize(avatar,battlefield_units_xmaximum-10)]
            self.combat = eq_resize(avatar,battlefield_units_xmaximum-10)
            self.profile_art = avatar
            self.face = ProportionalScale(avatar,150,150)
            drag = DynamicCharacter("dragon_character_name",show_img=avatar,screen="say_with_file_side_image")
            renpy.restart_interaction()
Or just use the console and type in the 'drag = ...' line for an ongoing game.
Unfortunately I can't figure out how to correctly put that line into the console. It says name "avatar" is not defined and it doesn't work if I insert the filepath for the correct avatar either. Also I have no idea what "say with file side image" is supposed to mean. Do I need to put something in there?

Will be a feature. I'm seriously starting to think changing 'heads' to 'scales' as a game option might be a good idea.
Sounds like a good idea to me, it makes playing a single-headed dragon for RP reasons not a handicap anymore. Getting magic resistance from some of them also makes more sense if its scales that protect the entire dragon instead of just one head of a specific colour.

Use the console and type in 'dragon.evo_remove(dragon.anatomy('head')[-1])' to remove the latest head. Change '-1' to something else if you need to kill some other head. The order should be the same as in the anatomy screen.
console says "TypeError: 'RevertableDict' object is not callable"

Increase poverty and wait for the next month. The Kingdom can support [infamy level - poverty/2] mobilization, and any surplus gets reduced by 1 each month. The WIP version moves this to once per week, and if the difference between real and sustainable mobilization is big, the decrease can go up to 3 per week. There will also be direct mobilization decreases for killing patrols.
So it decreases passively in relation to poverty and fear, but the militia are so far the only way to directly lower mobilization instead of just waiting it out? A'ight.

zzczys

Jul 20, 2019
Unfortunately I can't figure out how to correctly put that line into the console. It says name "avatar" is not defined and it doesn't work if I insert the filepath for the correct avatar either. Also I have no idea what "say with file side image" is supposed to mean. Do I need to put something in there?
You need to make those changes to the file, using notepad++ . Start a new game.

So it decreases passively in relation to poverty and fear, but the militia are so far the only way to directly lower mobilization instead of just waiting it out? A'ight.
Next release will also allow defeating other patrols to reduce mobilization.

Does letting mobilization snowball lead to anything? I dont find any event but maybe letting a full party randomly hit the dragon?

Aug 18, 2020
Mobilization increases the weight of the guards random event. Proof is in the game/db folder which has the weight of events. You probably can tell a guard event because you have no choice to retreat, finishing the encounter does not use satiety, and no aftermath screen but a boot to the main map. Guards are a single shark in the Sea, a Alven Ranger in the forest, Airships of two kinds in the Sky, etc.

Edit: Found the phrases.ini it was in the game/db folder and not the game/db/phrases folder. Should I change that? Also, guards apparently can range from archers to angels. This is found in the phrases.ini at the bottom.

zzczys

Jul 20, 2019
Anyhow I made my own fix to reduce mobilization, just add a line at the guards encounter in each location.

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
This crazy resist wont allow me into the volcano lair?
No. You need near-immunity, which is 95%.

reducing prices of base game ones
I did a balance pass as well, and reduced many of those costs. Specials are much cheaper, sizes much pricier.

I feel like once dragonspawn is complete, early game is effectively over.
Very early game, I'd say. Myself, I put the mark at moving into a better lair.

But this is still nowhere near even the halfway mark, what with the next noteworthy quest requiring 100 defense
Uh, what? The next quest is 'Desolation', raising fear. Then 'Protected Lair', which requires only 50 defense, a bit of which you can get by moving into some sort of castle.

After that, requiring 1k gold is somewhat absurd, but manageable.
This will change to requiring an item valued at 100 gold or more as a gift.

Then you need 100 lizardspawn. And you have to have them in lair...
1000 dragonspawn, but no longer in the lair. This is an endgame quest which you only do when you're seriously trying to get the army into shape. It is also where the quests branch into the other hatcheries.

If there was an option to upgrade cage or farm or pit capacity, that would be neat, btw.
It's called moving or expanding the lairs. :p

Quest completion is the most obvious route to victory after all.
Quest completion only leads to victory if the dragon is badass and/or the army is up to snuff. Otherwise, endgame just kills you.

and each combat will massively drain your squad
Minions will be better. Also, rotating multiple squads.

very little time available for evolution
You're going to sleep anyway, so that's a weird comment.

This is all on normal difficulty, by the way, and to restate, as well as easier and more evolutions.
Well, maybe sacrifice results need some upping. The WIP version gives about 5 seals/sparks per townswoman and ~20 for an angel.

victory conditions. If those was made clearer then it would very much lead to an "easier" experience.
The 'normal' route is indeed done by following the quests and grinding yourself through to victory.

You can beat the demon invasion, either by having the fairy cheat it for you ;) or by just vaporising the big bad. You'll be able to do that even post-invasion, if you can win one-two projection combats per sleep cycle.

And you can kill the world by saving a certain herbalist and doing weird stuff with questionable allies. :D

My bad, change '=avatar' to '=dragon.avatar'. Leave the 'say...' as it is, it tells the game to actually use the portrait.

Sounds like a good idea to me, it makes playing a single-headed dragon for RP reasons not a handicap anymore.
Goes to the bottom of the todo list, then.

Getting magic resistance from some of them also makes more sense if its scales that protect the entire dragon instead of just one head of a specific colour.
Magic is magic. Who knows what 'magic resistance' really is? :D

console says "TypeError: 'RevertableDict' object is not callable"
My mistake, should be 'dragon.evo_remove(dragon.anatomy['head'][-1])'.

Does letting mobilization snowball lead to anything? I dont find any event but maybe letting a full party randomly hit the dragon?
Not really, and it tops out at 20. But having to fight angels, airfleets, titans, etc should be bad enough.

You probably can tell a guard event because you have no choice to retreat
You absolutely should be. If not, it somehow got fixed in the meanwhile. :confused:

finishing the encounter does not use satiety
No longer.

Guards are a single
That might be worth changing...

Found the phrases.ini it was in the game/db folder and not the game/db/phrases folder. Should I change that?
No, that's where it's supposed to be.

Edit:
Anyhow I made my own fix to reduce mobilization, just add a line at the guards encounter in each location.
I hope the line is 'kingdom.mod('mobilization',-1)' and not 'kingdom.mobilization -= 1'. :)

Aug 18, 2020
I consider early game to be dragonspawn because, unless you hardcore ssave scum or have beyond miraculous RNG for escaping peasants and playing rng, you are 100 turns in, if you focused down the quest.

I disregarded Desolation because it is incredibly easy compared to almost every other quest, and added the disclaimer "next noteworthy quest". The 100 defense when it actually is 50 is a very real mistake however.

The 100 gold item sounds legitimately interesting to try to get, I'm excited for that.

For capacity of buildings, I think you know what I mean ;), so Ill look into fucking with the code for that myself.

When I say massively drain your squad, I mean dragon mostly. Life is cheap, and minions are easily replaceable, but facing down an enemy group of 5 or even 4 will quickly lead to damage to the Dragon and large costs in replacing minions.

By very little time for evolution, I also mean the time needed to gather satiety. 200 lizardman village satiety doesnt last very long when you are dealing with evolutions that cost 80+ satiety and a quickly ticking down seal timer.

How easy would it be to add a damage type? Like, if I wanted to add in mental damage and change magic to force damage, would that just be a matter of find in files then copy pasting?

When I say no choice to retreat from a guard event, you can during the combat, but that eats half your health, no option to retreat before engagement.

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
I consider early game to be dragonspawn because ... you are 100 turns in
I'm not measuring progress by turns, but rather by capability. Having a better lair, like a fort or castle, is both a measure of your dragon's prowess and a goal in itself.

I disregarded Desolation because it is incredibly easy compared to almost every other quest
I think I'll raise that to 5 of each fear, poverty and mobilization.

For capacity of buildings, I think you know what I mean
Yeah, but almost everything is coded with the assumption that there is only one minion and one captive per building. And the current WIP UI improvements make this even more so. Overhauling this properly is, like, at least a few full days of serious work...

Also, focusing on lair capacity instead of improving buildings makes moving lairs more attractive. Which is something I want to encourage.

When I say massively drain your squad, I mean dragon mostly.
Pay the Witch for some healing action? ;) Or use your milk.

Life is cheap, and minions are easily replaceable, but facing down an enemy group of 5 or even 4 will quickly lead to damage to the Dragon and large costs in replacing minions.
I just made some epic battles with multiple angels and stuff... :cautious: Or the Royal palace with eight consecutive rounds. :D

By very little time for evolution, I also mean the time needed to gather satiety. 200 lizardman village satiety doesnt last very long when you are dealing with evolutions that cost 80+ satiety and a quickly ticking down seal timer.
As planned. :devilish: You can donate your lizardmen to make the tribal fish cheaper and respawn faster. And the 'magic meat' also feeds you.

How easy would it be to add a damage type? Like, if I wanted to add in mental damage and change magic to force damage, would that just be a matter of find in files then copy pasting?
Not too difficult. The hard part is coming up with values for all the minions and enemies. Otherwise, just search for e.g. 'acid' in all .rpy, .yaml and .ini files, and repeat what's there.

When I say no choice to retreat from a guard event, you can during the combat, but that eats half your health, no option to retreat before engagement.
In the future, retreating will also 'eat' half an action. And retreating from combat is 'retreating before engagement'. The patrol ambushed your dragon, more or less.

Still no go
Do you have wings? All the sky lairs also need wings.

3.50 star(s) 8 Votes