Mod Ren'Py Abandoned Time For Dragons - Defiler Wings: Deranged Dragon Mod [29-07-2020] [Jman]

3.50 star(s) 8 Votes

Gantithoren

Aug 25, 2020
It's purely based on your infamy level, the number after your total infamy score. The minimum is your level (number of total evolutions), which is 2 at the start. This will be changed to [size - 1], meaning you start at 0 after I update.
Okay, so fear evolutions are less shooting yourself in the foot then I thought.

zzczys had the right screenshot, delete the 'phantom' enemy from that encounter.
Yeah, that was edited in right after I replied. I think. Did that, we'll see how it works when I've got time to poke the game today.

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
Okay, so fear evolutions are less shooting yourself in the foot then I thought.
Fear evolutions are pretty good, since they allow you to:
  • Avoid fights and still get money (or even a girl). The more fear you have, the higher the payout.
  • Make enemies lose a turn in combat. The chance depends on your fear rating.
  • Make Knights (and currently, also Thieves) reconsider invading your lair. Same deal with fear numbers.
  • Edit: Make Thieves lose their cool while stealing.
  • Edit: Torture captives into submission faster.
Maybe something else, too, can't recall right now.

Last edited:

Gantithoren

Aug 25, 2020
Fear evolutions are pretty good, since they allow you to:
  • Avoid fights and still get money (or even a girl). The more fear you have, the higher the payout.
  • Make enemies lose a turn in combat. The chance depends on your fear rating.
  • Make Knights (and currently, also Thieves) reconsider invading your lair. Same deal with fear numbers.
  • Edit: Make Thieves lose their cool while stealing.
  • Edit: Torture captives into submission faster.
Maybe something else, too, can't recall right now.
Oh, right. Speaking of knights and fear. My current knight has triggered 'will not be turned away by fear' event at least three times now. And I think my thief has gotten three 'immune to cold' amulets. I don't remember seeing this previously in the thread, but I could be wrong.

I don't know if the save will help, but it's attached.

Edit: Fix for the manor house works.

Last edited:

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
Speaking of knights and fear. My current knight has triggered 'will not be turned away by fear' event at least three times now.
I don't see how this is possible, nor can I recreate the situation. And your saved Knight does not have the 'Brave' ability, either.

And I think my thief has gotten three 'immune to cold' amulets.
No such thing. There are gloves against cold and amulets against fire. Your Thief has both, but again, she can't get another in my tests.

Are you sure these were the same Knight and Thief?

Gantithoren

Aug 25, 2020
I don't see how this is possible, nor can I recreate the situation. And your saved Knight does not have the 'Brave' ability, either.
Huh. Thanks for checking, though.

No such thing. There are gloves against cold and amulets against fire. Your Thief has both, but again, she can't get another in my tests.

Are you sure these were the same Knight and Thief?
... Yes and no. I do remember seeing it trigger twice on the same knight, but it may have been on a save I overwrote when I started a new game after I worked out some of the mechanics. I'll keep an eye out, see if it shows up again.

Last edited:

Gantithoren

Aug 25, 2020
Okay, I used the search function on the thread for this, and it doesn't SEEM to be anywhere here.

Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/_story/hunt/forest.rpy", line 35, in script call
    call arena(encounter=['domik']) from _call_arena
  File "game/_story/events/summon.rpy", line 66, in script call
    call arena(encounter=enemy_party,escape_to='sacrifice_escape')
  File "game/_story/hunt/forest.rpy", line 298, in script call
    call arena(encounter=[guard]) from _call_arena_4
  File "game/_story/hunt/sea.rpy", line 153, in script call
    call arena(encounter=['ship']) from _call_arena_16
  File "game/_story/lair conquest/lair_conquest.rpy", line 602, in script
    $events.drain()
  File "game/_story/lair conquest/lair_conquest.rpy", line 602, in <module>
    $events.drain()
  File "game/_script/subsystem/story_and_events.rpy", line 85, in drain
    self.event(self.selected_location,self.selected_encounter).drain(value)
  File "game/_script/subsystem/story_and_events.rpy", line 81, in event
    return self.loc[location][entry]
KeyError: u'forgotten'

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "game/_story/hunt/forest.rpy", line 35, in script call
    call arena(encounter=['domik']) from _call_arena
  File "game/_story/events/summon.rpy", line 66, in script call
    call arena(encounter=enemy_party,escape_to='sacrifice_escape')
  File "game/_story/hunt/sea.rpy", line 153, in script call
    call arena(encounter=['ship']) from _call_arena_16
  File "game/_story/lair conquest/lair_conquest.rpy", line 602, in script
    $events.drain()
  File "C:\Users\Owner\Downloads\Time_for_Dragons_DD_Mod\Time_for_Dragons-1.1.1-pc-DDM\renpy\ast.py", line 900, in execute
    renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
  File "C:\Users\Owner\Downloads\Time_for_Dragons_DD_Mod\Time_for_Dragons-1.1.1-pc-DDM\renpy\python.py", line 1930, in py_exec_bytecode
    exec bytecode in globals, locals
  File "game/_story/lair conquest/lair_conquest.rpy", line 602, in <module>
    $events.drain()
  File "game/_script/subsystem/story_and_events.rpy", line 85, in drain
    self.event(self.selected_location,self.selected_encounter).drain(value)
  File "game/_script/subsystem/story_and_events.rpy", line 81, in event
    return self.loc[location][entry]

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 7.2.2.491
Время для Драконов: Королевство Монстров 29-07-20
Wed Sep 02 16:50:39 2020
Killed the necromancer and his zombies in the forest temple ruin, had a message pop up about their rudeness... then this happened. Possible I just punched in the wrong search terms, I suppose. Apologies if that's the case.

Aug 18, 2020
The place is called forest_forgotten_temple and also just forgotten_temple in lair_conquest.rpy, the background is called forest_temple_ruin . I cannot seem to find the event in forest.rpy for some reason

Aug 18, 2020
Honestly a tad annoying that I have gotten Domiki 3 times in my playthroughs and have only encountered the temple 0 or 1 times, even though they are the exact same on events_forest.ini . I still cannot see it in my forest.rpy for some reason, but I did do a bit of searching and apparently a Key Error is made when something is looked for but does not exist. I cannot really help much past that, tho

Gantithoren

Aug 25, 2020
Honestly a tad annoying that I have gotten Domiki 3 times in my playthroughs and have only encountered the temple 0 or 1 times, even though they are the exact same on events_forest.ini . I still cannot see it in my forest.rpy for some reason, but I did do a bit of searching and apparently a Key Error is made when something is looked for but does not exist. I cannot really help much past that, tho
Huh. Never got Domiki, but I've had the temple twice.

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
Can't reproduce in neither the release version nor the WIP one. I suspect it's something on your end. But just in case, what does your 'random_encounter()' function in 'functions.rpy' look like, and what do you get when you console this?
Code:
'_'.join('event_forest_forgotten_temple'.split('_')[2:])

Honestly a tad annoying that I have gotten Domiki 3 times in my playthroughs and have only encountered the temple 0 or 1 times
Huh. Never got Domiki, but I've had the temple twice.
Randomness. :p Will be a little less random in the future, but not much.

I still cannot see it in my forest.rpy for some reason
Lair encounters are in 'lair_conquest.rpy'.

Aug 18, 2020
So, I just wrote up a synopsis for a few options to use the evolution locking events. Tell me which ones you think you might add and I'll try to code them up first. Don't think I could release this and the instructions as an installed addition like I want to do with the basic evolution pack, so I think I'll just do the ones that you would add to the real mod.

Edit: Forgot to attach content, AGAIN

Gantithoren

Aug 25, 2020
Can't reproduce in neither the release version nor the WIP one. I suspect it's something on your end. But just in case, what does your 'random_encounter()' function in 'functions.rpy' look like, and what do you get when you console this?
This is what it looks like:

def random_encounter(location):
events.selected_location = None
events.selected_encounter = None
encounter = events.get(location)
event = encounter.split('_')
event = '_'.join(event[2:])
if renpy.has_label(encounter):
events.selected_location = location
events.selected_encounter = event
jump(encounter)
else:
notify("Event %s not found."%encounter)
renpy.pause(2)
jump('region_full_view')

Code:
'_'.join('event_forest_forgotten_temple'.split('_')[2:])
Well, nothing in the game changes, I think, but the console spat up u'forgotten_temple'

I'm not actually in the temple when I put that into the console, if that matters.

Edit: Actually, now that I think of it, the recall location gives a string of code for the forgotten temple, not a name. Can't remember what it is, I'll have to take a note next time I see it. If I ever see it again.

Last edited:

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
So, I just wrote up a synopsis for a few options to use the evolution locking events. Tell me which ones you think you might add
Frankly, I'm not in favour of blocking evolutions since it makes little sense to me. A dragon can grow its heads, muscles or whatever without knowing exactly what he's doing. He's not a geneticist :D, despite what the (still slime-y) deAd storyline tells you.

I'm also not much attracted to the idea of fighting other monsters. The dragon is a monster, he doesn't really care about the others and might actually feel some sort of kinship with them.

The wandering Ogre encounter (minus the unlocks) is the only one I actually like.

I'm not opposed to you doing a submod (including encounters), or even writing code to support that. But right now, I have to get through higher-priority things on my todo list first and actually make a release. And I have increasingly less time for modding ATM of late. :( So support for evolution unlocks will probably be something left for the release after the next.

This is what it looks like:

Well, nothing in the game changes, I think, but the console spat up u'forgotten_temple'
Then I have no idea how you got that error. o_O

Try this: enter the forest, console
Code:
renpy.call('event_forest_forgotten_temple')
and then save the game pre-fight. You may have to also add some mana for this with 'dragon.mana += 10'. Then give me that save.

Actually, now that I think of it, the recall location gives a string of code for the forgotten temple, not a name.
Use the new landmark.ini from the OP.

Aug 18, 2020
Cool, I'll focus on the ogre first. The way I envisioned it was that the dragon did not have the power to evolve such things until they defeat an eidolon of that evolution, be it bull or siren. Do you think I should keep a log of the changes I make that is readable by others, or just upload the modded event files?

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
Cool, I'll focus on the ogre first.
+1

The way I envisioned it was that the dragon did not have the power to evolve such things until they defeat an eidolon of that evolution, be it bull or siren.
Would be more sensible to lock sizes behind events, and then other evolutions by size. That of course runs into the issue of making tiny dragons all but useless, and I don't really want that.

Do you think I should keep a log of the changes I make that is readable by others, or just upload the modded event files?
I'd prefer an outline the intention plus the changed files.

3.50 star(s) 8 Votes