cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Seriously, if it wasn't for the Unity engine, there could be so much more room for additional compression.
The so much content part is a joke, isn't it?
Can you pls provide an example of an Unity game which has more content in 1080p and use a better compression? Maybe Aes could take a look into it and use it for Timestamps.

I'm not sure if you are aware of it, but Aes and Mot use webp at 90% quality for the in-game renders - the same as all crunched ren'py games here on F95.

Reactions: Aesouh

squirt12345

Mar 21, 2019
Don't know if its only me but i really hated the moms sex scene with the son. Or maybe i fucked up some choices. I only got the scene in kitchen. Was so much excited by all the art and tease until they suddenly have sex in last at kitchen. Really very disappointed. But still the quality of arts and huge amount is excellent even more than Games of Desire and Milfy City.

El bacca Del Chew

Apr 3, 2017
Seriously, if it wasn't for the Unity engine, there could be so much more room for additional compression.
The so much content part is a joke, isn't it?
The joke will be much better if explained.
Compare to what? Keeping the same image quality, what should be the right size for it? Genuinely curious here

Le Pew

Game Developer
Dec 22, 2018
The joke will be much better if explained.
Compare to what? Keeping the same image quality, what should be the right size for it? Genuinely curious here
OK, I understand that you may be a little on edge because I may have used a somewhat too strong expression. English is not my birth tongue so I may not always correctly appreciate the emotional strength of the expression that I used. My apologies for that.

That said, I am not complaining about the artistic qualities of this game, but not everyone has a 32" screen displaying the graphics in all their splendor.
What I was referring to in my previous statement was more the ratio between the play time and the download size, which is still rather low, compared to other quality games. You may not agree with me and I totally understand that, however there are image and video encodings nowadays that must be allowing for smaller file size. And that was where I referred to the Unity engine which makes it a bit cumbersome to do.

Besides I for one don't care much about the file size, but working with web applications myself I have to cope with low bandwidth conditions every day and the ratio information / download size is a subject that I have to care about a lot.

I hope the best for the continuing of this game.

Reactions: El bacca Del Chew

El bacca Del Chew

Apr 3, 2017
OK, I understand that you may be a little on edge because I may have used a somewhat too strong expression. English is not my birth tongue
Do not misunderstood me, i'm not on any edge, nor felt offended or any thing at the sort. I was more curious to understand the full reasonning behind your sentence. Which you provide and thank you for that btw. Plus English ain't my native tongue either, i only speak engrish or un mauvais Francais.
download size is a subject that I have to care about a lot.
Here was you point, then i do understand now. The size can be an issue indeed for limited bandwitch connection or limited datas download ones, but they are using unity not the sake of maximum compression, it wasn't the main goal of it, they are familiar and efficient with it so. I would not undertand then a change of engine and a total re-vamp of the game just to gain few octets.

And as i said, no probs here i just like to get the full picture of critics to got them coz there it will have grounds to improvement.

Best regards

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
however there are image and video encodings nowadays that must be allowing for smaller file size. And that was where I referred to the Unity engine which makes it a bit cumbersome to do
Well, Aes, and also Faerin, use the highest available compression for their games! As archive both games have the size of ~1,3 GB, unpacked they have the size of 3 - 4 GB.

Besides I for one don't care much about the file size, but working with web applications myself I have to cope with low bandwidth conditions every day and the ratio information / download size is a subject that I have to care about a lot.
Any idea how to code a streaming function for game content as for example Netflix & Co. use? Maybe this could reduce the file size further :unsure:

Aesouh

Master Chief VNGineer
Modder
Game Developer
Sep 16, 2017
OK, I understand that you may be a little on edge because I may have used a somewhat too strong expression. English is not my birth tongue so I may not always correctly appreciate the emotional strength of the expression that I used. My apologies for that.

That said, I am not complaining about the artistic qualities of this game, but not everyone has a 32" screen displaying the graphics in all their splendor.
What I was referring to in my previous statement was more the ratio between the play time and the download size, which is still rather low, compared to other quality games. You may not agree with me and I totally understand that, however there are image and video encodings nowadays that must be allowing for smaller file size. And that was where I referred to the Unity engine which makes it a bit cumbersome to do.

I hope the best for the continuing of this game.
I don't understand where the 32" came in for, 1920x1080 has been the standard computer resolution for many years now. When you say that the ratio between play time and download size is rather low, can you please enlighten me with

1. How long did it take you to play all the content, and what path did you play, hero, wimp, full juliana path? Do you skip content?

2. Do you have a comparison to any other game, because, I can tell you this right now, the images has been pulled out of unity since day one becaue otherwise 0.4.0 game version would have sat at around 12 GB, it is on maximum compression and has nothing to do with unity itself. We have basically compressed down 2700 images that are highly detailed down to 732 MB. Sound files and animation files have also been compressed, as well as the game client, however, there is a lot in there, then we have 439 MB of highly compressed 1080p animations, that's about 68 animations with the longest one 2 entire minutes long,

If i would spend several days cleaning up and checking every single file if some are no longer in use maybe we'd shave off about 50-60mb potentially, i did one lap of this already in 0.5.1 when we compressed the game down from potentially 2.1 GB to 1.1~. Effectively halving the game size, mainly thanks to switching from jpg and png to webp images.

The entire game client is also compressed with LZ4HC compression.

If you compare this to another game, please make sure that the game is infact in 1080p and high quality has 30FPS+ animations, and get back to me so that we might learn something further in compression.

/A

Le Pew

Game Developer
Dec 22, 2018
It really seems that I touched a sensitive string there. I'm really sorry, that wasn't my goal at all.

I'm more bothered, if any, by the fluidity of the animation and of the controls, but that has been already discussed.

I wish you the best for the future of the game.

Le Pew

Game Developer
Dec 22, 2018
Any idea how to code a streaming function for game content as for example Netflix & Co. use? Maybe this could reduce the file size further :unsure:
I believe that such a solution is out of the question, as it would require having a 100% uptime server with a lot of bandwidth. It's unlikely that it would make any good return on investment.

Aesouh

Master Chief VNGineer
Modder
Game Developer
Sep 16, 2017
It really seems that I touched a sensitive string there. I'm really sorry, that wasn't my goal at all.

I'm more bothered, if any, by the fluidity of the animation and of the controls, but that has been already discussed.

I wish you the best for the future of the game.
I took the time to reply to you to ask for some information that you may have, or if you are potentially just "feeling" your way through how big a game "should be". I would love to improve the game but you have so far not come with any constructive criticism or any sort of example anchored in reality.

I'm not asking for much information here. Give me any other example game with animations, 1080p renders of high quality and let's see if's comparable or if you are just trolling.

Your expertise in optimizing for web is really not at all applicable to a 3d-rendered based games like these that are fully pre-rendered, maybe more so the 2d games that do composite scenes with separated backgrounds and forgegrounds and uses spritesheets.

Le Pew

Game Developer
Dec 22, 2018
I'm not asking for much information here. Give me any other example game with animations, 1080p renders of high quality and let's see if's comparable or if you are just trolling.
There is a big misunderstanding here. I am not complaining about the graphics quality at all. I was just wondering if there could be any way to make them occupy less space, but you already answered on that part and that is satisfactory enough to me. I may have mislead you with my commentary about 32" monitors. It's because the game starts by default in fullscreen mode and I first tested the game on a 32" monitor and the graphics looked good on it by the way.

Not being much of a graphical artist myself, I wouldn't dare make such comment on the art quality. I may sometime comment on some choices about models, but that is more a matter of taste.

Reactions: Motkeyz

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Sharing my theories about Timestamps and interested in hearing what yours are!

Beware: My post is divided in several spoiler tags!

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

adolfhipster

Sep 7, 2017
What obfuscator do you use for this project?
Im not looking to actually deobfuscate the files, I just looked how the obfuscated code looked like and i've never seen this before

I dont mean anything bad, im just curious
edit: looks obfuscator pro?

Dec 29, 2018
I'm really liking this game.

The animations are exceptionally well done and I was particularly impressed with how Julianna's hair moves in some of them. The women in the game all look amazing, and the story is good enough that I'm actually more curious about where it's going than who is going to be featured in the next animated scene. The only real complaint I have so far is that it's necessary to watch the father get it on with Juliana or else you won't be able to access the best scene later in the game. I really don't want to see the old man get his rocks off. Same goes for the fat friend. Especially if it's with the ladies we're supposed to be lusting after.

I always like to see choices in games, so I was happy to have the option to ditch the girlfriend. I wasn't really comfortable with how young she looked, but maybe I'll get over that sometime and give her a chance on a later playthrough. One very small addition to the game that I'd like to see is the ability to change the phone's wallpaper. It's a bit odd for it to still be Maureen after you dump her, especially if you also reject her advances in the Hospital. I know it's a really tiny and inconsequential thing, but it's visible in the top corner for most of the game, so it would nice to switch it over to your favourite character. I don't know how much of a hassle that would be to implement, so I'd understand if it weren't worth the trouble, I just thought it would be a neat little feature.

I'm not sure which character would be my favourite. Julianna and Heather are both amazing, and Veronika is quite tempting too, but I might have to go with Gaz. Which is surprising because I hated her guts the first time I played the game, but she's grown on me since then. I guess I'm a sucker for gals with a sad backstory and mesmerizing eyes. So I'm happy that we have the option to be nice to her. I'm hoping that we eventually get a chance to have her replace Maureen.

I found the time traveling a bit confusing the first time I played the game, and still I'm not sure if I understand it. For instance, you can defend Heather by using a baseball bat that Hamon placed by altering the past, yet when he sends you back in time to relive day 3, it says that you can do whatever you want because it won't matter. Why is that? Shouldn't that have overridden my original choices? How did your friend move a baseball bat if reliving the past doesn't change the present or future? Does the time machine have some sort of settings where you choose to save or discard the changes made?

Despite my confusion, I still have a couple of baseless crackpot theories about the plot.

Anyways, that's about all I can think to say about the game so far. Except for that I hope we get a chance to have some fun with Candice sometime. I know I should probably be wary of her since the spooky music plays when you talk to her, but I think she's worth the risk.

4.10 star(s) 232 Votes