ITRoy

Game Developer
Dec 24, 2017
ITRoy, just about to play this from the start to refresh myself with the story and pursue different LI's on their own paths (as no harem tag). I amended your screens.rpy to add lines 718 - 726
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Please consider adding this feature to your future builds. Thanks
Thanks so much! I actually already added named save game ability (will come with the next release). I'll look over the code you gave though, as that may be better than mine.

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
To Be A King [v0.4.6] Thunderline Studios

Original Size Win/Linux: 707 MB
Original Size Mac: 692 MB

Compressed Size Win/Linux: 249 MB
Compressed Size Mac: 232 MB

Win/Linux: MEGA
Mac: MEGA

This compression is unofficial. Compressing process reduces image/audio/video quality and can break the game, be aware of that.
Win linked nuked

_Maou_

Jun 2, 2018
kaylan-preview2.jpg

Another productive week, aided by me having a week off from my day job, though not by getting sick in the same week.
Current progress:
  • 1117 renders completed (total, not just this week)
  • 23 total scenes completed (out of 34 - ended up cutting a scene)
  • All scenes written
Still too early to give any sort of release ETA, but I do have an internal target. Once we go to beta, I will have a much better idea of release ETA. I promise that this mega release (around the size of Chapters 1-4 combined) will be worth the wait. And going forward, I imagine we will fall somewhere in the 28-35 scene range and 1200-1800 render range for each release.
I also had a bit of fun on Saturday. I needed to take a regular render break, but I had some wonderful help from those in in designing a few new characters. I'll be filling out the game with some fun interactions (not adding more love interests), and it was fun to get input and ideas on some new model options. You'll be seeing one of these in Chapter 5.
Preview
Now, to another preview on what is new for To Be A King in Chapter 5.
I've revamped a LOT of the To Be A King interface from top-to-bottom. Some of that was needed due to the free roam addition, but a lot of it is just things that I found I could adjust in Renpy and create the needed graphics. Some is just some new polish, but there are a couple of interesting things that I've added.
Copying nearly every other VN out there, I'm introducing a new button you can click to bring up your relationship statistics, skill/attribute count (will be more relevant later in the game), primary character biographies, and some information on Caudium and its key characters. I'm calling it the "Codex," and it's easily accessed at any point in the game. It's an easy way for me to provide some more detail about the game world you're playing without overloading folks with a bunch of scenes that do nothing but explain. I'll be updating it regularly with some new content each release.
Along with all this, I've added the ability to name your saves. So no longer will you have to try and remember if your Cassia path saves are on page 4 or 5. A few small tweaks to the gallery, and the scene replay gallery round out the major changes here.
I'll see you all next week for another dev update. Have a great weekend!

uhhhok

Sep 24, 2020
1617987551945.png

Dev Update #7
Great progress was made this week. We are in the home stretch now. I've got an alpha build of the game. All that is left is polishing what I can before this goes to the beta team. With such a large release, and with the other changes I've made, I expect this beta to take a bit longer than what I've been used to with these releases. That said, I hope to have a release ETA here very soon.
Hard to believe that less than two months ago now I started work back on To Be A King, and we are just a short time away from a release of the largest installment I've ever done. During the beta period, in addition to fixing things, of course, I'll begin further work on Chapter 6 of To Be A King. I'll take a bit more of a break each day too, but it will be nice to switch back into outlining and story mode.
One quick note on Chapter 5. Animations did not make it in. Nothing I did was anywhere close to where I want to be with these, so it's more practice before those are ready for a release. I've still got plenty of renders to keep you happy in the meantime.
There will be some more announcements closer to release, but I'm going to hold off on those until we are in the beta process. Hopefully we aren't too far away from a release date announcement! The next post from me will either be giving a further update on progress or a projected release date.

quorkboy

Sep 26, 2020
But Aelina has ample tracts of land !
I prefer Cassia's slightly less expansive territories. And her face is irresistible.

Also, regarding "have all three" - I seem to recall that this is an unlikely ending. Doesn't mean you can't have fun with all for the moment (as I have) but eventually I expect it will be required to make a choice, and that choice (for me) will most likely be Cassia.

FunFuntomes

Engaged Member
Mar 24, 2021
I prefer Cassia's slightly less expansive territories. And her face is irresistible.

Also, regarding "have all three" - I seem to recall that this is an unlikely ending. Doesn't mean you can't have fun with all for the moment (as I have) but eventually I expect it will be required to make a choice, and that choice (for me) will most likely be Cassia.
I recall it's Last Call that won't have a harem path, this one you can

assman1337

Mar 10, 2018

It's finally here! After a couple of months of work, I'm proud to present To Be A King Chapter 5. It's been a bit since our last release (early October!), but I expect future releases will come much more quickly (and be about this large). A HUGE thanks to my dedicated beta team that worked a ton of hours to help me polish this release and make the game better.
Before you jump straight to the download links, let me review a few things you need to know. Future releases should not be near this amount of change, but I used the time in development to "reboot" a few things.
No more Android releases
I'm afraid that To Be A King Chapter 4 was the last Android release, at least for the foreseeable future. From here on out, I'll support Mac, PC, and Linux with releases. I may resume Android releases, but, for now, it's not something I want to devote development time to, especially with me not having any devices to test it on and fine tune it.
New saves required
Thank goodness we are only beginning Chapter 5 here. I hate to see a game chuck old saves out the window with new releases, and I'm hoping this will be it for me having to change it. With all the code changes, existing saves will not work at all. Don't even try them. I do not enjoy games that break saves, and believe me, if there was a way to avoid this, I would have. I've taken every precaution to ensure my code is all set for the future, so this should be a one-time thing. I did add the ability to name your saves, which should make it MUCH easier to keep track of your paths.
There Is No Free Roam
I made the mistake of announcing it while it was in development. Once Chapter 5 was nearly done, I tried free roam more extensively. It was not near as fun as it needed to be (more on that in this week's dev update). So we are back to the traditional VN with branching paths. No need to click anywhere special or do anything more than follow the story, make your choices, and watch things play out. Sorry for anyone who was looking forward to this, but I can't leave something in that isn't as fun as it should be.
Here's what is new (Changelog):
  • 34 new scenes
  • 1514 new renders
  • UI Improvements & changes
  • Intro video added
  • Ability to name your saved games added
  • Biographies of primary characters added
  • Model texture improvements
  • Environment texture improvements
  • A new relationship section has been added so you can see your progress with your chosen love interests
  • Sound effects added. There is a dedicated volume slider for these in preferences
  • Lewd sound effects added. There is a dedicated volume slider for these in preferences
Download Links
  • PC/Linux - or
  • Mac - or
If you have any trouble, please DM me here or post on my Discord.
Thank you to all of you who support my work here on Patreon! Please tell your friends, and spread the word. I hope you'll love this new release, especially with Chapter 5's content alone having nearly the same amount of content as Chapters 1-4 combined. Enjoy the game!

tk99

Jun 3, 2019
Damn it ...

" New start is required. Old saves won't work"

I read this more than I get update notifications for the games I like :(

Tab key pressing it is :(

3.90 star(s) 81 Votes