RPGM Tower of Trample [v1.18.0.4 + Standalone SC3] [Bo Wei/Koda]

4.40 star(s) 52 Votes

YugataKisu

May 5, 2019
Man I would pay for a "Tower of Lily"...
well in case you missed it theres something similiar made by a fan with plenty of focus on lily (forgot his name im sorry)

Lily Expansion when?
Tower Escape with Lily!

the first one is more of a gag but the second one Is actually really enjoyable imo it easily holds up with a bo release

bahamut2195

Mar 28, 2018
I personally know a few programmers that purposely complicate their code and the general reason why most do it is to just make sure that they'll maintain their position at the company, it can also act as another barrier for dataminers too. But it's mostly only used so it'll be harder to replace you. which honestly speaking here I believe Koda is worried that Bo might try and find someone else or something since based on the messages I seen posted here is getting annoyed at how long Koda is dragging things on with ToT as Bo clearly wants to do other stuff while Koda seems to just want to continue milking the product before it's even released.

which honestly speaking here I would of paid 30 bucks for it or whatnot for ToT but after how long Koda's been dragging development on things like floor 7 or whatnot, I'm now hesitant on it. Either way it'll be interesting how things play out for Bo and Koda an ToT as there is no doubt going to be more drama around the development of it. Which I got my popcorn ready for at anytime.
I don't doubt it happens, but I really don't think this is what Koda is doing. I think he just isn't an accomplished programmer, and instead is using a Frankenstein code that he looks up online to add ideas he has, which makes it harder to go back and fix since the code itself isn't "native" to him.

Bo Wei won't get rid of Koda because Koda does what Bo Wei wants, which is to work completely independently of Bo and to bother him as little as possible. Believe me, Bo has been offered alternatives to Koda free of charge, and turned it down. Bo sucks at collaborating and doesn't want to have a real partnership. Koda asks very little of Bo Wei and does his own work, unfortunately at his own pace. Together they make an extremely dysfunctional dev "team", where no one takes responsibility for the overall malaise of the project.

HereToDisturb

Jan 26, 2021
Bo sucks at collaborating and doesn't want to have a real partnership. Koda asks very little of Bo Wei and does his own work, unfortunately at his own pace. Together they make an extremely dysfunctional dev "team", where no one takes responsibility for the overall malaise of the project.
Its almost as if they don't need a team member, but a team leader.

Reactions: bahamut2195

GeneralClod

Mar 27, 2021
I shit on Koda regularly, often to his DMs directly so he can't avoid it. I also make no argument that Koda's improvements mean he's totally doing a good job, and I don't defend his insane delays. How he manages to delay on stuff so badly is an absolute mystery to me, I'm half inclined to believe he spends half the day masturbating but I seriously don't know.

I really can claim what you said is untrue, because unlike everyone sharing speculation, I actually have worked with Koda's code. And that's extensively, both building mechanics for him to use later (the journal from WG, a QTE mechanic that I think is in Level 0, scheduling tools, the improved settings menu, more crafting capabilities, etc) as well as helping him with bugs that were taking too long for him to find. If there was even the slightest possibility that Koda was sabotaging the code to make it harder for others to work with, I would've noticed by now.

I talk about Koda's "enormous improvements" because I'm a bloody software engineer. Here's a summary of a few of the improvements Koda's made and why they're improvements:
  • Clearly defined constants at the head of each script root, means there are very few magic numbers and jumps in flow aren't obfuscated
  • Directory script loading means you can categorise scripts by folder and subfolder etc which makes it a hundred times easier to find what you're looking for. On top of that, you can use N++ or Atom or w/e to search for specific keywords throughout the entire file tree to find what you need, which isn't possible in RPG Maker and is part of why working in the RPG Maker editor makes me wanna kms
  • For later characters he has abbreviated dialogue functions so that making a character say something with a specific face can be as easy as `Lily.angry("Ethan you're pissing me off")` which is clear, concise, and maintainable. Absolutely fantastic addition when you see how it normally works to do that in scripts (not in common events).
If people want a detailed explanation of to what extent ToT is spaghetti and why, I can provide one. But accusing Koda of sabotaging the codebase is an insane idea to anyone who's taken a serious look through the scripts. I can understand being confused by what Bo said, but I'm telling you as someone that knows how this system works that there's no way the man is sabotaging the code in any way.

You sound knowledgeable on the subject and I'm inclined to take your word for it, but a developer sabotaging their code to make it hard to replace them isn't a far flung idea and does happen, like

I personally know a few programmers that purposely complicate their code and the general reason why most do it is to just make sure that they'll maintain their position at the company, it can also act as another barrier for dataminers too. But it's mostly only used so it'll be harder to replace you. which honestly speaking here I believe Koda is worried that Bo might try and find someone else or something since based on the messages I seen posted here is getting annoyed at how long Koda is dragging things on with ToT as Bo clearly wants to do other stuff while Koda seems to just want to continue milking the product before it's even released.

which honestly speaking here I would of paid 30 bucks for it or whatnot for ToT but after how long Koda's been dragging development on things like floor 7 or whatnot, I'm now hesitant on it. Either way it'll be interesting how things play out for Bo and Koda an ToT as there is no doubt going to be more drama around the development of it. Which I got my popcorn ready for at anytime.
said. I also think what

I don't doubt it happens, but I really don't think this is what Koda is doing. I think he just isn't an accomplished programmer, and instead is using a Frankenstein code that he looks up online to add ideas he has, which makes it harder to go back and fix since the code itself isn't "native" to him.

Bo Wei won't get rid of Koda because Koda does what Bo Wei wants, which is to work completely independently of Bo and to bother him as little as possible. Believe me, Bo has been offered alternatives to Koda free of charge, and turned it down. Bo sucks at collaborating and doesn't want to have a real partnership. Koda asks very little of Bo Wei and does his own work, unfortunately at his own pace. Together they make an extremely dysfunctional dev "team", where no one takes responsibility for the overall malaise of the project.
said is a distinct possibility.

S3ri4l

Jun 7, 2020
Aside from that, everything just fits good for Bo, he won't do anything to change this situation. He gets patreon's money, Koda's delays provide more money and less work, and everybody will hate on Koda.

rageaholic

Jan 1, 2019
I shit on Koda regularly, often to his DMs directly so he can't avoid it. I also make no argument that Koda's improvements mean he's totally doing a good job, and I don't defend his insane delays. How he manages to delay on stuff so badly is an absolute mystery to me, I'm half inclined to believe he spends half the day masturbating but I seriously don't know.
Only half? I'd be surprised if he doesn't have an onahole going on while he sleeps! Might be why he lacks so much energy to do much of anything.

On topic: If the code's so bad, why not do a "chapter 2" bit? Might reduce some of the clutter, can help with some of the slowdown issues, and he might learn something that he can eventually apply to the initial floors.

S3ri4l

Jun 7, 2020
I personally know a few programmers that purposely complicate their code and the general reason why most do it is to just make sure that they'll maintain their position at the company, it can also act as another barrier for dataminers too.
Is that possible? Shit I'm not programmer yet but, I mean nowadays it isn't likely a single programmer working by himself in any company... I suppose any big project would require more than 1 programmer, so what you are saying wouldn't be possible.

Sylph Phoenix

Sep 24, 2018
Is that possible? Shit I'm not programmer yet but, I mean nowadays it isn't likely a single programmer working by himself in any company... I suppose any big project would require more than 1 programmer, so what you are saying wouldn't be possible.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Only half? I'd be surprised if he doesn't have an onahole going on while he sleeps! Might be why he lacks so much energy to do much of anything.
I mean, mans has a job and (as far as I know) a need to eat and shit. Half a day masturbating is pretty optimized if you think about it.
On topic: If the code's so bad, why not do a "chapter 2" bit? Might reduce some of the clutter, can help with some of the slowdown issues, and he might learn something that he can eventually apply to the initial floors.
I had this conversation with him a couple of times, but I can't remember what the reason against it was, or if he actually agreed on it being a good idea. I've tried searching my DMs with him but can't find it. I have vague memories of answers but I'm not going to share that when I can't be certain I'm remembering correctly. Personally I think having a separate game where they start from a newer foundation would actually be more work than it's worth, because the inability to play from the very beginning would seriously hurt the quality of the game. The better solution, imo, is to progressively rebuild the earlier stuff to not be garbage, but there's a fair bit of work involved there and the spring cleaning update died for that reason. Kinda tempted to rebuild Scarlet as pure script where possible just to see how I go but probably not the best way to spend my time.

bahamut2195

Mar 28, 2018
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

I mean, mans has a job and (as far as I know) a need to eat and shit. Half a day masturbating is pretty optimized if you think about it.

I had this conversation with him a couple of times, but I can't remember what the reason against it was, or if he actually agreed on it being a good idea. I've tried searching my DMs with him but can't find it. I have vague memories of answers but I'm not going to share that when I can't be certain I'm remembering correctly. Personally I think having a separate game where they start from a newer foundation would actually be more work than it's worth, because the inability to play from the very beginning would seriously hurt the quality of the game. The better solution, imo, is to progressively rebuild the earlier stuff to not be garbage, but there's a fair bit of work involved there and the spring cleaning update died for that reason. Kinda tempted to rebuild Scarlet as pure script where possible just to see how I go but probably not the best way to spend my time.
Do it, it's the best way to spend your time.

You can trust strangers on the internet to have your best interests at heart.

Qwertzyc

Jul 5, 2017
What hurts the quality of the game is the amount of delays... and that after 3 years we are still on F6 while the original post said something like 1 girl per floor, 1 floor per month (something like that).
If you make some some mini quest where Ethan gets some proof about Crow and Swan, and he confronts them and gets captured, you can easily get him to lvl 1 with one scene where they play with him in a lab or cage and from there you start ToT Chapter Two. Ethan lvl 1, Koda a long forgotten nightmare, delays are gone aswell, everyone is happy. TRUE END

Reactions: Shaolin-sama

LeVocaloid

May 28, 2018
Guys when I downloaded the game from the mega link and unzipped the file, it said I was missing the gothic VL font. After fixing that there was the missing BGM/Theme2, another missing SE choice 3 sound file, and then I'm missing graphics/tileset/outside-A1. lol this didn't happen to me in ver1.17.2, so any ideas to why this is happening to me? Cause I can't run the game.

YugataKisu

May 5, 2019
does koda actually get 50% of the patreons? (1750€)
im kinda curious what bo pays him because if im being paid nearly 2k a month for writing a little bit of ruby code then i wouldn't want to finish the game too fast either

Reactions: Hero sama
4.40 star(s) 52 Votes