RPGM Tower of Trample [v1.18.0.4 + Standalone SC3] [Bo Wei/Koda]

4.40 star(s) 52 Votes

ScotchCreamVO

Sep 19, 2020
Here's my 2 cents: People need to stop being so mad at Koda, not because their anger isn't justified, but because it's been proven that it doesn't accomplish anything. It's okay to vent in here once in a while if you need to, but you'll need to lower your expectations at some point, and finally realize that nothing's gonna change anytime soon.
The people mad at the ones complaining need to have some empathy, and ask themselves what is it that's actually making them angry, since it's likely that they're just as bothered by the delays as everyone else.

And Koda-, I think that there's no point to you coming here to respond to every non-constructive piece of criticism that anyone throws at you. You won't accomplish anything either by doing so, especially since the people you're responding to probably see it as meandering, what with an update being overdue. I doubt you'd want my advice, but if I was in your situation and wanted better ways to calm the masses, I'd do these two things:
1) Be more transparent. Explain exactly why delays happen, tell people in detail what's the current situation impeding progress on F7. Even if you know that people will find what you have to say to be unsatisfying or disappointing, in the long run it'll always be much better than just ignoring these topics.
2) Overshoot the ETAs. Same as before, people may be upset at first when they see that a release date is a lot more distant than they imagined, but they'll be happier in the long run. Their expectations will be more in line with reality and you'll even have a chance to bring them content earlier than they expected in a surprise release, at which point they'll forget they were ever angry in the first place. Bo, intentionally or not, gave you the perfect opportunity to do this not so long ago, but you ended up not taking it.
I'm really with Gearless on this and I hate to admit it. Anger doesn't accomplish anything.

So here's an appeal to Koda, as level and fair as I can possibly make it:

You are a talented writer working with a talented artist. You guys have made some great products and the ambition on display is clear, even from an almost entirely outsider perspective. New mechanics are frequently on display and their complexity has ramped up. It's easy to see how much you guys want to implement different ways and modes of playing your games. That's great.

But on some level, it's impractical for what is (essentially) a two-person team with a bit of help here and there. People don't get upset because you're delivering sub-par content or even over-promising. People get upset, at least the people I've spoken with in the past, because there is no consistency to what we get. Many, many months ago a seventh floor was next on the agenda. But instead, we've gotten at least two (maybe all three?) complete side projects, each with their own style and world apart from what drew us in. At least one of those (WG) also has content teased that may or may not ever come, though it looks more and more unlikely as the number of games increases. What's more, there's a whole ToT side-story now that has a mysterious ending we may never get to see AND a completely new new game with voiceover, which means even more coordination.

Meanwhile, there's not even a central collection of information on any of these projects, save for a couple pinned messages in the Discord. No way to really confirm if we have or have not seen all of the content we want in what we have short of grinding out RPG battles in the hope that some arbitrary combination of win and loss will result in something new. I don't know how others feel about this specific point but: the worst part of ToT is the grind. There's so much faff to it, separating the parts that show off yours and Bo's abilities with an ancient engine being held together with tape and gum. It's amazing that you guys have pushed RPGM so far, nobody can take that away from you. But the lack of clarity both in development and the game itself is very, very frustrating as a consumer and, yes, a fan.

As so many have pointed out throughout this incredibly long thread, you guys are making a game that is unlike anything else in the community. That inspires a lot of confidence and patience. But all of this back and forth stuff, including little systems that seem counterintuitive and more like they increase the game's complexity for the sake of it (anyone remember Cobra's nickname system?), has eroded so much of that in so many of us.

We don't want you to change the way you're making games, not really. Basically all we want you to do is get a PR guy. Someone who takes news from you two and translates into something for the rest of us. Because what direct communication we have gotten does nothing to soothe the frustration or ease the wait. The primary issue here is one of communication. It's clear you take pride in your work, you absolutely should, and some responses here have been less than kind. But at the end of the day, it's still people expressing a frustration that they are getting no balm for. And they certainly can't express it in the official Discord server without incurring an absolute wrath.

Reactions: olorex11

Shaolin-sama

Oct 9, 2019
I definitely feel ToT should be reduced to 10 to 15 planned floors instead of 20 floors(I think?). The other mistresses can be additional floor content like Crow and Mrs. Claus.

Onyxzz

Jul 21, 2018
I don't really know when I'll be able to finish it yet, I only started three days ago.
I still have to start working on many characters, while to two others I still have to add some scenes and mechanics.
I also have to start the whole gameplay part related to combat, skills, objects.
But in these three days, besides creating the maps, I think I almost finished Cobra's room: I wrote some nice scenes, so maybe as soon as I finish it, I'll release a demo with just his room.
Take your time man, it sounds promising.

Assblasta9k

Apr 22, 2018
<pre post>
Know that If the dev doesn't read your story, I did man and I understand your frustration. Good to know that the community is being honest when needed!
</pre post>
<post>
Does anyone know if ToT works on JoiPlay for android?
</post>
I can confirm that it doesn't work on JoiPlay, I get the error
"Script "line main>:SystemStackError occured.
"stack level too deep"

Phone: OnePlus 7 Pro

Sylph Phoenix

Sep 24, 2018
We don't want you to change the way you're making games, not really. Basically all we want you to do is get a PR guy. Someone who takes news from you two and translates into something for the rest of us. Because what direct communication we have gotten does nothing to soothe the frustration or ease the wait. The primary issue here is one of communication. It's clear you take pride in your work, you absolutely should, and some responses here have been less than kind. But at the end of the day, it's still people expressing a frustration that they are getting no balm for. And they certainly can't express it in the official Discord server without incurring an absolute wrath.
I was interested in doing that for a while but honestly I don't think having a spin man actually helps things. No amount of spin will make people content with delays or side games appearing. People get frustrated and there's no real answer when it's just a difference in how some fans want the game to be developed and how Koda and Bo want it to be developed.

A lot of what has been said in here can be boiled down to people wanting all distractions dropped and 7F to be made the top and sole priority. That isn't an unreasonable preference either, Koda's probably sick of me saying it, it just isn't how he and Bo operate. Other people like to have the side games because it's a new setting and often lets them explore stuff too far different to the rigidity of the tower. There's no reconciling those two views. Then some people interpret guesstimations as hard release dates, yet get angry if Koda refuses to give an ETA. Some people like no ETAs since there's no disappointment, other people demand some form of ETA. Once again, no reconciling those two views, and you can't spin that to make everyone happy.

GearlessJoe

Jun 17, 2018
I was interested in doing that for a while but honestly I don't think having a spin man actually helps things. No amount of spin will make people content with delays or side games appearing. People get frustrated and there's no real answer when it's just a difference in how some fans want the game to be developed and how Koda and Bo want it to be developed.

A lot of what has been said in here can be boiled down to people wanting all distractions dropped and 7F to be made the top and sole priority. That isn't an unreasonable preference either, Koda's probably sick of me saying it, it just isn't how he and Bo operate. Other people like to have the side games because it's a new setting and often lets them explore stuff too far different to the rigidity of the tower. There's no reconciling those two views. Then some people interpret guesstimations as hard release dates, yet get angry if Koda refuses to give an ETA. Some people like no ETAs since there's no disappointment, other people demand some form of ETA. Once again, no reconciling those two views, and you can't spin that to make everyone happy.
Surely you realize that the reason why 7F is not happening anytime soon can't be that Bo and Koda "don't feel like finishing it", right? There has to an actual reason, maybe it's the spaghetti code of ToT making their overly ambitious vision for F7 an impossbility, like the absurdly complex level design that they chose for it, or the new gameplay systems or quests. It could also be the ever increasing expectations of the fanbase making them feel pressured, given how long it's been and their constant reassurance that it's gonna be worth it. Maybe it's something else entirely, but either way, what I'd like to see is some transparency regarding 7F.
I think you're doing Koda a disservice by pretending there's nothing he can do to alleviate people's complaints somewhat. Of course he's never gonna end up making everyone happy, but that's just life. The type of person who is dissuaded from taking action because the result of their actions isn't gonna be perfect, that's the type of person who never does anything.

Last edited:

Celice

Apr 26, 2019
Are you implying that WG is finished? Because it uh... isn't.
pretty sure he just meant that as a major update... which I'd say it was. With inkeeper and Blacksmith + bonus character. The whole not being finished at 1.0 is always amusing to me though

www4779

Mar 3, 2018
HEY GUYS!

There are some news about the fanmade game.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Unfortunately, the fact that I don't have much time to go on with this project during the week has slowed me down a bit.
Anyway, everything seems to be going well for the moment.
and for being a fanmade game, I think that what I have done so far is much better than I expected.
WOW... When will it be released? This is what I wanted.

Leonelli

Game Developer
Nov 21, 2019
WOW... When will it be released? This is what I wanted.
I don't really know when I'll be able to finish it yet, I only started three days ago.
I still have to start working on many characters, while to two others I still have to add some scenes and mechanics.
I also have to start the whole gameplay part related to combat, skills, objects.
But in these three days, besides creating the maps, I think I almost finished Cobra's room: I wrote some nice scenes, so maybe as soon as I finish it, I'll release a demo with just his room.

TIKI434

Aug 7, 2018
wierd point but if you still take sugestions can you make karen..a actual karen like the stereotype my fav girl is noble from WG i just love that spoiled arogant priviliged middle aged woman idea even a brave mythical knight has to bow to her demands

pr0v1dence

Feb 13, 2020
wierd point but if you still take sugestions can you make karen..a actual karen like the stereotype my fav girl is noble from WG i just love that spoiled arogant priviliged middle aged woman idea even a brave mythical knight has to bow to her demands
you should get this around december 2025 if they havent released another game and branched it

probably because of delays, best guess 2027 you would get a preview and CG's not used

TIKI434

Aug 7, 2018
you should get this around december 2025 if they havent released another game and branched it

probably because of delays, best guess 2027 you would get a preview and CG's not used
oh i was refering to the fan made game guy not koda i clicked reply and it dident portray it as one no im under no delusion to sugest anything to bowei and koda

Justsomeone99

Jun 11, 2018
I think we could make another thread for this fan-game, but i guess we could do it after it comes out, since we don't have anything to ask and like here yo can show that idea to a bigger audience, since if we made a thread now basically not a lot of people would be joining it

4.40 star(s) 52 Votes