• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

[Translation Request] Devils were tempted by ballad of anima...

Shisaye

Engaged Member
Modder
Dec 29, 2017
Pft, I certainly have no love for MS myself. Look where we are, and ask yourself if you think I really forked over anything for such software lol.
Or find me drunk and ask me about how I feel about being forced into Win10!
Just be ready for yelling.
It's just... in case you are not aware, this is what I have to work with now.
Parsing docx xmls is fun. :Kappa:
Edit: The hardest part is going to be figuring out where the hell I'm supposed to place the translations, if I can't just replace the Japanese.
1697117701469.png

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Null82 and XPsychoX

Shisaye

Engaged Member
Modder
Dec 29, 2017
As long as text can be put back in its relevant areas without fully deleting the original text and section headers can be preserved that's more or less all I need.
Does that mean I can replace all Japanese with "OriginalJapanese;Translation" and that would be fine? (The ";" is just as an example divider I can make that whatever you want)
Looking at the xml I'm having a hard time understanding where you want the translations.

TragicSolitude

Jan 3, 2019
Does that mean I can replace all Japanese with "OriginalJapanese;Translation" and that would be fine? (The ";" is just as an example divider I can make that whatever you want)
Looking at the xml I'm having a hard time understanding where you want the translations.
A line break or two would probably work great. Barring that, your suggestion as a delimiter would be fine as well, if that's simpler.
Mostly I need the original JP lines as I have to scroll through code, or add more in as needed, so having the original text in one document helps make sure I'm not missing something when running back through the engine.
And believe me, I'm very familiar with fighting against XML lol. I spent a good feverish two weeks seriously buried in it with no documentation and no idea what I was supposed to reference with a recent project.
Not the WORST time I've ever had (Looking at you, Ruby, you nightmarish duck typing language.) but it's still up there lol.

Shisaye

Engaged Member
Modder
Dec 29, 2017
A line break or two would probably work great. Barring that, your suggestion as a delimiter would be fine as well, if that's simpler.
Mostly I need the original JP lines as I have to scroll through code, or add more in as needed, so having the original text in one document helps make sure I'm not missing something when running back through the engine.
And believe me, I'm very familiar with fighting against XML lol. I spent a good feverish two weeks seriously buried in it with no documentation and no idea what I was supposed to reference with a recent project.
Not the WORST time I've ever had (Looking at you, Ruby, you nightmarish duck typing language.) but it's still up there lol.
I have to admit I wouldn't know how to insert a linebreak in there. I doubt I can just insert something like \r\n and expect it to work.

TragicSolitude

Jan 3, 2019
I have to admit I wouldn't know how to insert a linebreak in there. I doubt I can just insert something like \r\n and expect it to work.
Interesting. Well, your original suggestion is fine then.
Though, thinking harder on this, text from this engine isn't usually presented on one line. (Character limits, other funky stuff from the engine.) So sentences will be broken apart into separate xml nodes, which I have to assume would probably cause a bit of a kerfuffle in trying to renter and format.
I'm not sure if you already had plans around that or not, but if that will be an issue down the line, we can probably table this until I get some time aside to go back through all my documents and reformat everything into a machine readable format.

Shisaye

Engaged Member
Modder
Dec 29, 2017
Interesting. Well, your original suggestion is fine then.
Though, thinking harder on this, text from this engine isn't usually presented on one line. (Character limits, other funky stuff from the engine.) So sentences will be broken apart into separate xml nodes, which I have to assume would probably cause a bit of a kerfuffle in trying to renter and format.
I'm not sure if you already had plans around that or not, but if that will be an issue down the line, we can probably table this until I get some time aside to go back through all my documents and reformat everything into a machine readable format.
I offered to run files you send me through my SLR system, nothing more, nothing less.
If the translation sucks, because stuff isn't grouped and context is missing, just don't use it I guess.
This wasn't my idea to begin with, my field is RPGM, forward all complaints to derakino999.

I've attached the result. I've also attached the raw loose files in case the docx don't work. I can't test them on my end.
My used parser pattern was:
JavaScript:
/<w:t>([^>]*?[一-龠ぁ-ゔァ-ヴー々〆〤ヶ][^<]*?)<\/w:t>/g

Last edited:
Reactions: derakino999

TragicSolitude

Jan 3, 2019
-brevity-
All right man, sorry. Wasn't trying to be rude or anything. Sorry if it came off that way, I was merely just coming to a realization that it might have been the case. My usual go to is mtl by hand or with a professional hire once before, so this whole thing is new to me. I'll dig through it and do what I can with what I'm given, so thanks for the work.
Sorry if you felt like you were forced to do as such, or something.

Shisaye

Engaged Member
Modder
Dec 29, 2017
All right man, sorry. Wasn't trying to be rude or anything. Sorry if it came off that way, I was merely just coming to a realization that it might have been the case. My usual go to is mtl by hand or with a professional hire once before, so this whole thing is new to me. I'll dig through it and do what I can with what I'm given, so thanks for the work.
Sorry if you felt like you were forced to do as such, or something.
Err... that's not what I meant. I just wanted to say that I don't really have time to work on a solution for that. Especially if I don't even know your workflow. (How these docx are made and how you process them.)
I already have much more projects than free time...

I get a lot of random requests, and when it's not even about RPGM I want to make sure that it's clear that SLR has limits and that it's not really built to be used for anything other than RPGM.

So it was actually me being unintentionally rude to you and not the other way around.
I honestly just wanted to take a jab at derakino999. because he should know my reaction to non RPGM requests very well by now, but without even asking me first offered you my help. lol

He could at least buy me a cookie once in a while :c

Last edited:
Reactions: derakino999

derakino999

Sep 30, 2017
Haha, yes, i know that you only work with rpgm games, so i'm sorry Shisaye... XD
I was thinking with my simple brain that hey, maybe if i had a readable file that i just wanted like translated it could be possible, so that way it'd be kind of like asking to translate a .txt file, so the game hacking part would not be there. Which is what i shamelessly was hoping tragicsolitute to do XD i am the biggets beggar there has ever been
But indeed, it's not as simple as i thought, from what i'm reading.
I want to thank you for even taking a look at it, since it's not RPGM, and you too TragicSolitude
you guys working on translating games are the goats
btw i didn't know you two knew each other XD but i should've expected it

i would love to try seeing if i can insert this thing myself, but i'm as stupid as it gets

HippoPie

Jan 10, 2020
All of my files are listed on post #58, for starters. (The link is in my sig)
And it's certainly an idea, I'm not wholly against it, honestly. More help is always nice! However, being that HippoPie has jumped on board (when they're available) I can't exactly sign off on it alone. I'm not going to just rug pull them like that lol. I'd start with seeing if you can get a hold of them through DMs or here first and see how they feel as well. I started chipping away at some sections, albeit it's been a minute as I've focused my efforts on the other Acid Style game for a bit.
Past that, if HippoPie signs off on some collaborative work, it's not exactly going to be a short project lol. As I mentioned in post #102, this game runs around 180K characters. (Assuming I missed literally nothing) Across 21 files, no less! So be sure you're clear about that before signing anyone up for..."free" labor lol.
Also also, should those items line up and it does go through, please be sure to read the important info spoiler on post #58. It sounds like nitpicking, but they're critically important for me to know what I'm doing!

Past that, certainly do feel free to keep me posted or ping me if you need something else!
Sorry for not saying anything about this project for a while. My life has been busy and I haven't had the time to continue the project. Feel free to continue it without me.
If I find the time to hop back aboard, I'll let y'all know.

Coomer4571

Aug 19, 2017
hi there i see you guys are busy hoewever i don't know if any of the translator know about this but i was looking around to translating DKM (the first game of the series) and I found out there is a tool for Action editor 4 game in a korean website

1698038634303.png

it look like this making it easy to translate, here's the link:
(put both .exe and .ini file into the game folder and click the exe)

the UI is in korean but you cna use mobile google translate to translate the UI of it

hopefully this can help

TragicSolitude

Jan 3, 2019
-brevity-
It's an interesting tool, though I wonder if it is able to account for the generally funniness of the engine.
The engine has hard character limits per line/or in total (depending on where you are doing work.) so I have to imagine if it DOESN'T account for that, it'd be a massive pain in the butt to deal with lol.
This engine is ten kinds of funky, so I'd be surprised if anyone could fully manage dealing with it in an automated way.
(Not that I think it will matter in much time now, since I believe the engine is now officially, "dead" lol.)
Thanks for the info though! It's certainly surprising that NOW this tool is getting made. Go figure, huh?

Coomer4571

Aug 19, 2017
It's an interesting tool, though I wonder if it is able to account for the generally funniness of the engine.
The engine has hard character limits per line/or in total (depending on where you are doing work.) so I have to imagine if it DOESN'T account for that, it'd be a massive pain in the butt to deal with lol.
This engine is ten kinds of funky, so I'd be surprised if anyone could fully manage dealing with it in an automated way.
(Not that I think it will matter in much time now, since I believe the engine is now officially, "dead" lol.)
Thanks for the info though! It's certainly surprising that NOW this tool is getting made. Go figure, huh?
yes i'm testing it right now and it seem to have issue with word wrapping but i'm currently testing it if putting a space below it can help. also this thing is old, this was made in 2021

TragicSolitude

Jan 3, 2019
yes i'm testing it right now and it seem to have issue with word wrapping but i'm currently testing it if putting a space below it can help. also this thing is old, this was made in 2021
It's likely it will be a lot more finicky than that, too. One pitfall of this sort of program that I can see almost immediately, is it's designed around Japanese only. Since it uses full width characters, if you have to write a lot, you'll HAVE to have text go out of the textbox areas with it. Since I'm not sure if that program has features to create a new message section like you would have to do in engine. Like I said, it's a funky engine, and you have to do a LOT to even make things look nice hahah.

Also
>2021
>old
If 2 years is old, then I'm practically a fucking decrepit corpse lol.

TragicSolitude

Jan 3, 2019
also something I also discovered is that someone DID translated one of the devs game in action editor 4,

https://f95zone.to/threads/sacred-v1-1-touhou-marupon-dou.53725/

maybe you can use it to look around and see at how the engine work and how to translate them?
Oh, I'm already intimately familiar with the engine.
I applied a translation for Kemomimi Treasure Hunters, and am currently working on helping out with Explorer of the Golden Planet. Games both made in AE4.
It's not a matter of whether or not I can do this project too, it's just a matter of time since there's so much text lol.
I appreciate the gesture though!

Coomer4571

Aug 19, 2017
Oh, I'm already intimately familiar with the engine.
I applied a translation for Kemomimi Treasure Hunters, and am currently working on helping out with Explorer of the Golden Planet. Games both made in AE4.
It's not a matter of whether or not I can do this project too, it's just a matter of time since there's so much text lol.
I appreciate the gesture though!
Ah i see, then can you teach me how to do it or is there any tutorial i can follow? I still wanted to try and translate DKM...

TragicSolitude

Jan 3, 2019
Ah i see, then can you teach me how to do it or is there any tutorial i can follow? I still wanted to try and translate DKM...
I don't know of any tutorials off the top of my head, and while I've been considering writing something up for my backup thread, I haven't had the amount of free time I'd like to jump into that.
Jumping into it from "Go" is a bit rough, but if you're familiar with how the RPG Maker engines work, this engine works on the same sort of principles. Each map has events that interact with each other, stores text, changes game variables, etc. The engine also has a global palette of events that can be used to "copy & paste" that event between maps. With child/parent inheritance of the global event's code base. Or can be modified separately on said map.
The main difference with this engine is that there is no, "Common Event Database," like with RPG Maker engines. So everything is done via events on a map, flags, and so on. So you generally have to go map to map and check for things to edit.
Our work with translation is fairly simple though, since all you have to do is scroll through every event's code sections, and look for code that reads, "メッセージボックス", and translate the text in that area.
Rinse and repeat for each and every last event/item in the game, and that's the quick and dirty rundown of this work.

I'd personally advise just having a separate copy of the game you're looking to poke around at, and just experimenting until you get a feel for it. Then you can actually try your hand at translation on an untampered copy. That's pretty much how I figured out the engine lol.
There's a lot of other minutia as well, but until my work stops , I'm just too wrapped up with other side-projects to write a full breakdown.
My backup thread has a small amount of backups and quickstart info for using the engine's editor. All the games released through this engine are not encrypted, so all you need to edit is the editor.