RPGM [Translation Requset]Sheryl(MEGA DOWNLOAD)

Neodart

Apr 6, 2019
Not sure if it's alright to put this here, but I need to take a break from translating this game or I probably won't finish it at all. And with my PC starting to "forget" one of my HDD every now and then (right now I just need to restart it for the drive to reappear), I don't want to risk losing what is probably more than 80 hours of work.

So here is a link to the 1.4 version of the game with everything I have done right now...

What I've already done:
  • All items/armors/weapons (if someone take a look and can think of better translations for some of them, I've no problem making the edit, but I would prefer it be while all I have to deal with is text based and not once I've finished the pictures for item pick-up),
  • All Skill are translated, as well as the menu to learn them
  • While I still haven't found where the "accepting quest" dialogues are (whether in the guild, in the castle or directly from peoples), once a quest is accepted and put in the quest log in the menu, it does appear translated
  • Did some edits to the icons of some items to be closer to what the item itself look like,
  • All enemies' name are translated,
  • All scripts should be translated,
  • All CommonEvents are translated (Stealing, finding an item for the first time, etc...),
  • Translated Sheryl's name on the UI with her HPs, MPs, TPs and EXP shown when on a map with enemies,
  • Made another edit to the "message boxes" so you can now see that SHIFT is for hiding them (not really needed but I was using Photoshop already at the time anyway),
  • All texts in the "normal everyday" version of the castle (not the events nor the endgame)
  • Some dialogues here and there...
What still needs to be done:
  • Nearly every dialogues on nearly every maps...
  • All events,
  • The pop-ups that appear in the top right when entering a new map,
  • The pop-ups that appear in the bottom right when picking up an item,
  • Finding the courage to start working on that "main.rvdata2" in hope of finding those untranslated quests (the file is decrypted at least, and I turned it into a ".yaml" [not shared, but easy to do for anyone wanting to give it a try], so I just need to go through everything in N++)...
For anyone interested, I also added a "cheat" in the game. It's not much, and was added as a way of help me during the translation of the H-Events when I will eventually get to them. In Sheryl's Workshop, in the room in the top right, where the warp to the "Memory Room" appear after dealing with the Level 2 Boss, I added a Crystal that appear from the very start of the game. If you speak to it, you are given the choice to unlock the "Memory Room" and all the Events that naturally appear there. Warning, this will mess up with the progression of your game if you try it on your "main" save. Ignore it or save on another file if you want to use it.

Second warning, and one of the reason I really need to take a break from this: This is my first serious try at translating a game and I don't even know Japanese. I'm using a mix of multiple translating sites (mostly DeepL for the translation and Google Translate to have access to/check the Romanji, as well as the Jaded Network for help with the onomatopoeia, even if I rarely find everything). I'm doing my best to end up with something readable and understandable, but my best might not be enough for some people. I understand that and thus warn them to maybe not give it a try and spare themselves the nightmares my attempt will cause.

On the other hand, if anyone also working on translating this game find anything useful in my mess, they are free to take it, just be sure to leave a link with your finished work if you complete it first (which shouldn't be hard for anyone knowing at least a little Japanese...).

Link:

Password: F95Zone_Translation

EDIT:
Well... posted this just in time...
Just a few minutes after I was done with this post, my PC lost my "E:" drive again and I just spent the last half hour watching CHKDSK check it automatically after trying to simply restart the computer... Some files are lost (doesn't appear to have been important ones, just some hentais) but I'll keep my attention on it for some time. Hopefully that got rid of the problem and the drive stop disappearing. Otherwise I'll need to go buy a new one and take the time to transfer a little over 2 To of data...

EDIT 2:
Well, it happened again so it's time to start thinking about switching HDD. Good news, I still had a 4To one in stock just for a case like this (or to turn into an external hard drive, whichever was needed first). Bad news, the docking station I'm using to connect it to my PC, while made to be used with USB3.0, is connected to a USB2 port (or maybe even USB1.5, that computer is OLD). As a result, the software I'm using to make the copy give me an Expected Time until Completion varying between 1 to 20 hours just for the ~430 Go "chunk" I'm currently concentrating on. I will probably stop there once that's done and wait before starting on the 1.5To left. "Luckily", the drive seems to only disappear if I (or a software) try to copy files TO it, it apparently has no problem with copying FROM it, seeing as that "chunk" copy has been going on for a little over 3 hours and it's still there, when it would disappear after maybe 1 hour when I was downloading files with JDownloader2...

Last edited:

solas999

Sep 13, 2018
why is it so laggy every single time I tried to attack? I tried to run it as window 7/ launch in full/not fullscreen but its still very laggy

Neodart

Apr 6, 2019
I'm of the opinion that the game was coded by the creator using their feet, it's that bad. Once you start looking into the code you can see many many cases of the same item being associated to different icons (be it in between the item menu and dialogues, between different dialogues or even between what is used in the item menu for the "real" item and what is used in the description of the recipe to create that item...), coding characters ("[", "]", "\", etc...) left over where they shouldn't be, two different recipes books that have one recipe in common, maps and items that were apparently left over from when they started this project from a copy/paste of their previous one, etc...

You think the game is laggy? It literally contains a script whose sole purpose is to reduce the lag!!! I don't even want to try to imagine how much worst it would have been without it...

The way I see it, it feels like they went at it the same way I would if I suddenly decided to create a game myself without even bothering with anything more than a basic tutorial on how to use RPGM (the difference being that I realize that anything I would create that way would be utter S#*t)... They had an idea, decided to use the software they had, despite the fact it might not have been the most appropriate for what they wanted, and when they hit the wall that was the technological limits of RPGMVXAce, they decided, instead of trying to migrate to another software, to pill up the third party scripts to work around them in some ways... You know that trope of something only working as well as it does because something else linked to it is accidentally broken in just the right way that it allow the first to work mostly as intended despite being broken too? I'm pretty sure this game could be cited as an example...

Honestblackman

Apr 12, 2020
Thank you for the translations thus far.

There seems to be a transcript error when you interact with the cat(s) for more than several times. See the attached picture for the error code: nil: NilClass

line 549

Not sure if this will affect any quests or the story progression itself.