ViperGts151

You don’t like me? Fine. Don’t waste my time then.
Donor
Jan 15, 2018

New

As time goes on it's easy to find new things that rub you the wrong way. And here, we're all about rubbing you the right way. So what can be done to fix things like surface textures in order to increase their quality and match other objects/scenes in your renders?
To start, what are textures? In the 3D world everything is made of polygons. It could be as simple as a square that creates a flat plane like a wall. Or it could be many polygons connected together to form complex shapes like a person. Then we take a 2D image and lay it across these polygons, sort of like wrapping a present, that gives the object color.
But these texture maps can do more than add color. They can also show how rough or reflective a surface is, and even simulate additional geometry that doesn't exist on the polygons.
This brings me to the issue I recently faced with a brick wall where I have a closeup scene.

From a distance there's really nothing wrong with this brick wall. But when we're up close I had two problems. First, the resolution detail is poor. Second, it's lacking the depth of how bricks protrude out from the mortar. With Emily standing nearby, it's easy to see the difference between her finer details compared to those of the wall. It's almost as if the bricks are painted on rather than real physical blocks.
At first I set out to solve the second issue in hopes that it would improve the first one as well. And so the first thing I tried was something called Displacement.
As I mentioned above, some maps can be used to simulate additional geometry. Displacement maps, in particular, actually create new geometry on a surface.

Doesn't look impressive, right? When you look at this image, it seems like a low quality brick pattern. But what the grayscale is telling the render engine is how far forward/backward that pixel protrudes from the surface of the polygon. In other words, it calculates extra geometry by cutting that polygon up into much smaller polygons at the time of rendering, and creating an unevenness.
There's a second type of map that simulates extra geometry, but doesn't actually create it. Those are Normal or Bump maps. Both essentially do the same thing, just in different ways.

This is a sample of a Normal map. They work similarly to the Displacement maps in that it tells the render engine how far forward or backward that pixel protrudes from the surface of the polygon. Except instead of splitting the polygon up and creating extra geometry, it only calculates how the light reflects & casts shadows on itself IF that extra geometry existed.
So what do these effects look like?
Here we have a sample with no Normal or Displacement maps used.

Next, we add in the Normal map which will give it the illusion of being more 3D.

And finally, we add in the Displacement map which actually creates extra geometry.

Big difference. Pretty impressive just for an ugly gray map image.
There are extra steps needed in order for Displacement to work, such as making sure the surface can be broken down into many subdivisions that will be small enough to form the extra geometry.
After trying a few options with the original brick wall, I wasn't happy with the results. My hope of adding displacement didn't overcome the lower resolution of the Diffuse (color) map as much as I hoped.

So in the end, after trying many combinations to get the red/brown bricks to work, I opted to switch them out for the modern looking beige ones. It's not what my original vision was, but I had to pivot into something more fitting. And I think it looks better.

Emily thinks so, too.

Dessolos

Devoted Member
Jul 25, 2017
Mark is the best bro in all of the games i played,the shit he says is hilarious to the point i find myself laughing quite often View attachment 4051729
glad you liked him, I personally couldn't stand him which is why I wouldn't mind stealing his girlfriend haha plus I recall liking her character I think. The comedy kind of missed it's mark with me most of the time in this game however.

Elduriel

Engaged Member
Donor
Mar 28, 2021
glad you liked him, I personally couldn't stand him which is why I wouldn't mind stealing his girlfriend haha plus I recall liking her character I think. The comedy kind of missed it's mark with me most of the time in this game however.
honestly it's rare for me to like a male "best friend" in AVNs, for some reason devs always make them goofy idiots. It's not that they are not good friends. Just don't particularly like the trope. That's why I like Will from Isa, he is a truly good friend with a lot of life experience, can relate to the MC, and has his back no matter what, and is definitely not an idiot.

robrize2169

Oct 8, 2022
yeah most of these so called best friends are usually fucking toolbags. Mark is a clueless idiot. and has done some good things for the mc. specifically the scene where they humiliate Chad by making him wash his face with cum. that was hilarious. and completely Mark's idea. so kudos to him for that one.. but everything else he does screams fucking idiot. and yeah, wouldn't mind stealing his gf since the gf has always like the mc and now she has seen his big dick, she likes him even more now.

Reactions: duckydoodoo

Dessolos

Devoted Member
Jul 25, 2017
I forget if that chad scene was optional or not. If it was I saw it and rolled back cause I recall not wanting to do it as it felt like it was going a bit too far , even tho he was a bully / dick and did deserve it.

robrize2169

Oct 8, 2022
too far? seriously? he got the mc fired from his job. right there that is plenty enough to make that NOT TOO FAR at all. imo. i don't really label stuff like this as bullying. since to me the term is stupid. it's purely Chad hating the mc for whatever reason and continually fucking with him..for whatever reason. and as far i am concerned..the payback will never be enough.

duckydoodoo

Nov 9, 2023
I really liked the Milf from the house fire think her name was Amanda , I found her kind of hot to. I didn't really care for the therapist ( forget her name) all that much hell my friend on a discord im in thinks im crazy for thinking house fire lady is hotter than the therapist haha. idk I never found the therapist that hot to me personally or was attracted to her character for some reason at least compared to everyone else lol.
MC has to bang housefire lady, you know as repayment for letting her husband become a useless gimp. its like a community service, but one that has to be done weekly if not daily.

PickleSteve

Sep 9, 2022
MC has to bang housefire lady, you know as repayment for letting her husband become a useless gimp. its like a community service, but one that has to be done weekly if not daily.
Choosing who to save first in the fire has an effect on the family dynamic when you visit them for dinner eventually. Although, I would say that really there is only one decent option, save the little girl first, because when you don't.... all I'm saying is that the reaction the daughter has to your presence was truly heartbreaking in my opinion. And I feel bad for even trying it to see what the changes were, so not really recommended.

So yeah, if there is ever an option for 'repayment' as you put it I will gladly take it (on one of my saves).

Dessolos

Devoted Member
Jul 25, 2017
too far? seriously? he got the mc fired from his job. right there that is plenty enough to make that NOT TOO FAR at all. imo. i don't really label stuff like this as bullying. since to me the term is stupid. it's purely Chad hating the mc for whatever reason and continually fucking with him..for whatever reason. and as far i am concerned..the payback will never be enough.
well im a real passive person so doing something like that no matter what never sits right with me even if I think they deserve it and Chad does. Plus at the time I was thinking of potential legal consequences ( even tho I know there won't be any). Plus I kind of wanted to just leave Chad alone and not poke the bear anymore and ignore it not get my hands dirty or have someone do something he can blame me for either. So that's why I said it was going to far for me and never actually let my MC do it if there was a option I forget.

But as a scene it's fine nothing wrong with and is kind of funny one of the only ones that made me laugh. But personally id see it going to far if it was real life or a game. As like I said im a passive person and would rather get out of a situation instead of pay back or eye for an eye type of deal. Now if I had some actual backbone or had a bit more of a Alpha personality then yeah it would not being going to far but I do not.

Even if I didn't see it as going to far tbh I would rather get payback in another way. Probably also cause of a bit of personal experience I had a friend trick me to eat something gross don't want to say what when I was young ( we were both the same age). So while Chad didn't eat anything I guess it's close of enough for me. I was more passive back then I am now days and I still hung out with him even after that when I should of stopped being his friend entirely.

Last edited:

duckydoodoo

Nov 9, 2023
Choosing who to save first in the fire has an effect on the family dynamic when you visit them for dinner eventually. Although, I would say that really there is only one decent option, save the little girl first, because when you don't.... all I'm saying is that the reaction the daughter has to your presence was truly heartbreaking in my opinion. And I feel bad for even trying it to see what the changes were, so not really recommended.

So yeah, if there is ever an option for 'repayment' as you put it I will gladly take it (on one of my saves).
Yeah, i figured there would be reprecussions when i very first played the game, but it wasnt really a choice, you always save the kids first. never even considered seeing what happens the other way, after all the kid is safe. and the gimp dad comes off as an ungrateful prick to me, if thats the way a grown ass father behaves after I saved his daughter from life time disabilities and then his own life, well like i said, community service taking care of the wife.

Reactions: robrize2169

SpacePuggo

Jun 3, 2020
Hello guys! Was wandering if anyone knows how to fix this? Couldn't find the actual file itself after I downloaded and played the game right away.

Gobugobu

May 16, 2023
Hello guys! Was wandering if anyone knows how to fix this? Couldn't find the actual file itself after I downloaded and played the game right away.
I think this is probably an error that occurs when buying tickets for the carnival.

This has been reported several times in the past.

You can refer to this thread, or

During gameplay

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

You should be able to avoid the error if you choose either of these options.

• Red Heart
Reactions: SpacePuggo

SpacePuggo

Jun 3, 2020
I think this is probably an error that occurs when buying tickets for the carnival.

This has been reported several times in the past.

You can refer to this thread, or

During gameplay

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

You should be able to avoid the error if you choose either of these options.
Thank you for this one. The posted thread saved it for me where I found the fix. I wasn't fully aware that there was an option like that in the preferences.

Reactions: Gobugobu

Canto Forte

Post Pro
Jul 10, 2017
This game works because the whole thing starts with the many other people bumping into MC for one reason or another.
MC almost never does stuff on his own, always being dragged, goaded, shamed, pushed, pressured by his peers into one thing or another.
Evenb his deeds in the fire only landed him into hot water with his friends, his GF and seemingly everyone else.
Anyone who ever had a friends or neighbors or collegues circle they fit into will recognize the community decided deeds that they did together were the most fun and most fulfilling of their youths.
Mark is a clueless idiot. and has done some good things for the mc. specifically the scene where they humiliate Chad by making him wash his face with cum. that was hilarious. and completely Mark's idea.
he was a bully / dick and did deserve it
i don't really label stuff like this as bullying. since to me the term is stupid. it's purely Chad hating the mc for whatever reason and continually fucking with him..for whatever reason.
well im a real passive person so doing something like that no matter what never sits right with me even if I think they deserve it and Chad does. Plus at the time I was thinking of potential legal consequences
But as a scene it's fine nothing wrong with and is kind of funny one of the only ones that made me laugh. But personally id see it going to far if it was real life or a game.
There is nothing wrong with pranks, especially as they are done all the time in TV and movies with literally no age restriction.
Anyone who ever got bullied or found out they had been bullied and they could not understand at the time why they were constantly failing while the bully they never recognized at such had a ball = they will tell the scene is mildly to depressingly satisfying - MC is reluctantly doing it because it is not very satisfying to him anyways, thinking it to be stupid, but a way to make peace with his friends while taking some sort of revenge on the bully - it turns out very well only on social media.

Anyone would tell that the social media fame is fleeting and quite hard to grasp, as MC will wrestle with it for the duration of this game.

Reactions: camube and Gobugobu
4.40 star(s) 51 Votes