Milkman69

Nov 2, 2017
Based on the immaturity of the MC I feel like he shouldn't be cursing unless he's got a role model that he's copying the behavior from. So if you're gonna have him think or say "Oh my fucking god" it should only after one of the older women like one of the sexbots or an Aisha that hypocritically slipped up has made a similar statement in his presence.

Until that point it would make sense if his vocabulary was partially censored. Not because he's intentionally censoring himself mind you but rather perhaps since he's been to sheltered to learn harsher language yet.

So in that particular scene if he hasn't yet been taught / exposed to swearing from the women around him then it would probably be more fitting for him to be thinking (Oh my god!) or perhaps (Oh my freaking god!), if he's been particularly sheltered then it could even just be (Oh my!) since if his original household was any bit religious then he might have been taught not to "take the lord's name in vain."

If he wasn't though I could totally see him getting scolded by Aisha simply for saying "Oh my god!" even if he never says fucking or even just freaking. IE Aisha would probably try to teach him that taking the lords name in vain is wrong even if he hasn't previously raised with that norm.

But yeah I don't think fucking should be in the MC's vocabulary quite yet. Unless you give us some sort of insight into his past homelife back on earth that shows that he's been exposed to cursing and whatnot most his life.

In that case then it would make sense for him to casually swear if the family environment he was originally raised in used language like that on a regular / normalized basis.

Deleted member 3994251

adult fairy tales
Game Developer
Jul 30, 2021
Based on the immaturity of the MC I feel like he shouldn't be cursing unless he's got a role model that he's copying the behavior from. So if you're gonna have him think or say "Oh my fucking god" it should only after one of the older women like one of the sexbots or an Aisha that hypocritically slipped up has made a similar statement in his presence.

Until that point it would make sense if his vocabulary was partially censored. Not because he's intentionally censoring himself mind you but rather perhaps since he's been to sheltered to learn harsher language yet.

So in that particular scene if he hasn't yet been taught / exposed to swearing from the women around him then it would probably be more fitting for him to be thinking (Oh my god!) or perhaps (Oh my freaking god!), if he's been particularly sheltered then it could even just be (Oh my!) since if his original household was any bit religious then he might have been taught not to "take the lord's name in vain."

If he wasn't though I could totally see him getting scolded by Aisha simply for saying "Oh my god!" even if he never says fucking or even just freaking. IE Aisha would probably try to teach him that taking the lords name in vain is wrong even if he hasn't previously raised with that norm.

But yeah I don't think fucking should be in the MC's vocabulary quite yet. Unless you give us some sort of insight into his past homelife back on earth that shows that he's been exposed to cursing and whatnot most his life.

In that case then it would make sense for him to casually swear if the family environment he was originally raised in used language like that on a regular / normalized basis.
I really liked your comment and your advice, I will probably remove this curse (OMFG).

Deleted member 3994251

adult fairy tales
Game Developer
Jul 30, 2021
I like it.

Crispyking

Jul 15, 2017

Whether you should use coarse language really depends on how you want to depict your character.

The language your character uses reflects his socialization. Coarse language will most likely create the impression of low social status or harsh upbringings, but also of a down-to-earth and no-shits-given attitude. It also associated with a certain age, since children usually get scolded for cursing.

So if Mark is a nerdy boy from a suburbian neighborhood, who has been properly raised by his parents, then I'd make him as little vulgar as possible, even when he is angry or surprised.

Deleted member 3994251

adult fairy tales
Game Developer
Jul 30, 2021
Whether you should use coarse language really depends on how you want to depict your character.

The language your character uses reflects his socialization. Coarse language will most likely create the impression of low social status or harsh upbringings, but also of a down-to-earth and no-shits-given attitude. It also associated with a certain age, since children usually get scolded for cursing.

So if Mark is a nerdy boy from a suburbian neighborhood, who has been properly raised by his parents, then I'd make him as little vulgar as possible, even when he is angry or surprised.
You are right, thank you guys for opening my eyes.

Reactions: Crispyking
4.00 star(s) 119 Votes