HTML Abandoned Unfinished Business [v0.5.2] [Dedegaru]

3.60 star(s) 12 Votes

phupdup

Oct 24, 2019
Did we ever get a backstory for James? We managed to get Sarah fired and now are using his credit cards to keep her interested, but what exactly does he do for a living? He doesn't use his computer much so isn't working remotely. He's always reading and never leaving the house other than the weekend jogs. So where's all of the money coming from? Rich Bitch parents?

Just how do these people survive anyway? We never see them go out shopping. The only deliveries we get from the pee in the bottle brigade is a couple of plot points for toys and never dulling razors and limitless makeup kits at the beginning of the game. Is the fridge hooked up to Zoraster's domain from the original Ghostbusters movie so they have an unlimited supply of Stay Puff marshmellows for food?

Reactions: AWolfe

Ammoman

Aug 17, 2018
EDIT: After some time clicking around. Certain events didn't seam to trigger. So the solution below might not work.

Just editing the file name won't work. You have to edit the html file it self.
To do that right click on the html file and choose open with, then choose wordPad.
At the top of document it will say something like
<title>Unfinished_Business_0.5.2</title>
Highlight Unfinished_Business_0.5.2 and then click replace or (CTRL +H) it's under the binoculars at the very right.
it will open a new window that have two fields. The top one named search for should already be filled with Unfinished_Business_0.5.2
In the other field named replace with you paste Unfinished_Business_0.5.0 or what ever version the previous save is from.
Then click on replace all, click ok. After that, save and close wordpad.
You should now be able to load previous saves.

Make a back up of the HTML file before you go in editing stuff. Just in case.
Thanks, as you said, that allowed saves to load but doesn't trigger some events. Your explanation is appreciated and I'll plod on from the start to trigger all events.

Elijah Hu

Feb 8, 2018
Dedegaru Developer ,Could I Ask How Soon I Can See Completely Influenced, Corrupted And Physically + Mentally Feminized James In Next Update? Penis Shrinked into a 2 Inch Clit or Just Become A Full Functioning Vagina And Grow A A-Cup Femboy Hormone Breast?
Dedegaru Developer, Can I Ask Do You Just Remove The Butt Plug Event In this Release?
Dedegaru Developer, I Suggest How About Replace Dominant Dominatrix Version Of Sarah In the Next Update And Teleport Her To The Room Of James and Let-Make\Force Her To Dominate James and Fuck The Anal Hole Of James Instead Of The Submissive Good Girl Sarah?

Last edited:
Reactions: benbrode11

Dedegaru

Game Developer
Aug 9, 2017
And again, 0.5.2 is unable to recognize my save from 0.5.0 for the same reason. Editing the version number in the name in the HTML worked, again, but it's not really a tenable situation long term. Can't expect every player to either start over each version or begin editing the files themselves.
Embedding the version number in the game's code is horrible programming practice. Forcing players to start over at each new version update simply because the developer has chosen to do this, or is too lazy to be bothered to fix it after he's been made aware of the problem (as this dev has been) is exceedingly hostile to the players he is hoping will support him on Patreon.
EDIT: After some time clicking around. Certain events didn't seam to trigger. So the solution below might not work.

Just editing the file name won't work. You have to edit the html file it self.
To do that right click on the html file and choose open with, then choose wordPad.
At the top of document it will say something like
<title>Unfinished_Business_0.5.2</title>
Highlight Unfinished_Business_0.5.2 and then click replace or (CTRL +H) it's under the binoculars at the very right.
it will open a new window that have two fields. The top one named search for should already be filled with Unfinished_Business_0.5.2
In the other field named replace with you paste Unfinished_Business_0.5.0 or what ever version the previous save is from.
Then click on replace all, click ok. After that, save and close wordpad.
You should now be able to load previous saves.

Make a back up of the HTML file before you go in editing stuff. Just in case.
Hi guys, I can see your frustration with the inability to load saves.

The reason I have the version number in the game itself is the same reason most games have a version number in the game, if I let old save files load into the new game, it will not trigger many of the events. Loading a save may bring you to the same passage you left it at, and bring all your old variables with you, but new ones won't be initialized, so anything using them won't work.

I am currently looking into a way of fixing this, but it's not as simple as just letting people load old saves

AWolfe

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jan 21, 2018
I beg to differ. It IS simple. Just tedious. Twine/Sugarcube HTML games that maintain compatibility with old saves, such as Secretary, have code specifically to check for what version a save is from and then it does what's necessary to correct any deficiencies, such as initializing variables that are missing from the save. Whenever the game adds new things that might break saves the developers have to make sure that the save-loading code is up to date with how to handle old saves.

Dedegaru

Game Developer
Aug 9, 2017
I beg to differ. It IS simple. Just tedious. Twine/Sugarcube HTML games that maintain compatibility with old saves, such as Secretary, have code specifically to check for what version a save is from and then it does what's necessary to correct any deficiencies, such as initializing variables that are missing from the save. Whenever the game adds new things that might break saves the developers have to make sure that the save-loading code is up to date with how to handle old saves.
Is there any particular reason you are being so hostile? I'm making a game for people for fun, not for money, and you always seem to slate the amount of effort I put in. You even decided to go to the reviews of my game and like the ones that give it the lowest score.

I am one person who puts in a bit of free time to update his game now and then, so yes, surprisingly I haven't found the code a group of people making thousands a month have, but I'm working on it and I apologize if I'm not as good as they are.

gregers

Forum Fanatic
Dec 9, 2018
Hi guys, I can see your frustration with the inability to load saves.

The reason I have the version number in the game itself is the same reason most games have a version number in the game, if I let old save files load into the new game, it will not trigger many of the events. Loading a save may bring you to the same passage you left it at, and bring all your old variables with you, but new ones won't be initialized, so anything using them won't work.

I am currently looking into a way of fixing this, but it's not as simple as just letting people load old saves
I think there's a general understanding that game updates may occasionally break saves: Sometimes a new version fundamentally redesigns the mechanics in a way that makes old variables inapplicable, that's just the cost of playing a game before it's finished. Deliberately breaking saves with every new release is something else however.

Staimh

Dec 12, 2020
Is there any particular reason you are being so hostile? I'm making a game for people for fun, not for money, and you always seem to slate the amount of effort I put in. You even decided to go to the reviews of my game and like the ones that give it the lowest score.

I am one person who puts in a bit of free time to update his game now and then, so yes, surprisingly I haven't found the code a group of people making thousands a month have, but I'm working on it and I apologize if I'm not as good as they are.
Just to remind you there are some who read this thread - myself included - who enjoy your game as it is
Please keep up the good work when you have the time - it is appreciated

AWolfe

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jan 21, 2018
You even decided to go to the reviews of my game and like the ones that give it the lowest score.
It's enlightening that your takeaway from my likes is the scoring of those reviews and not why those reviewers gave the game those scores, and why I agree with them.

Oh, and if I was as hostile as you seem to think that I am I would have left my own, negative, review. Which would drag down your game's average score even more. But I thought I'd give you the benefit of the doubt before doing something as permanent and damaging as that. I'm beginning to regret being that considerate, given your hostile reaction to constructive criticism.

Dedegaru

Game Developer
Aug 9, 2017
It's enlightening that your takeaway from my likes is the scoring of those reviews and not why those reviewers gave the game those scores, and why I agree with them.

Oh, and if I was as hostile as you seem to think that I am I would have left my own, negative, review. Which would drag down your game's average score even more. But I thought I'd give you the benefit of the doubt before doing something as permanent and damaging as that. I'm beginning to regret being that considerate, given your hostile reaction to constructive criticism.
Dear god you have one messed up superiority complex.

If you are going to leave a bad review, get on with it, I don't make my game to be popular, just to give some people a little joy, because that's all that matters at the moment.

And honestly, at the end of the day, your opinion really doesn't matter to me. I mean seriously, all you have done is complain and pick away at spelling mistakes. It's not been constructive in any way, just criticism.

Master of Puppets

Conversation Conqueror
Oct 5, 2017
I think there's a general understanding that game updates may occasionally break saves: Sometimes a new version fundamentally redesigns the mechanics in a way that makes old variables inapplicable, that's just the cost of playing a game before it's finished. Deliberately breaking saves with every new release is something else however.
Yeah breaking saves every now and then is annoying but sometimes it can't be avoided, breaking saves every single time is a great way to kill all interest in a game.

Reactions: AWolfe and gregers

Hjort

Aug 15, 2016
Heh, you remind me of that nice .

You must realize that the developer don't want to break saves. Perhaps you could help him solve the save problem, seeing as "It IS simple", by providing the required code for the function you describe in your "constructive criticism"-post?

Last edited:

por42

Sep 2, 2020

i personally appreciate it, I have seen a lot of developers who just abandon the game

like your work so far

por42

Sep 2, 2020
and you are comparing apples whit oranges' Secretary' is a big game is an almost fully interactive game that's 1 longer 2 older and has way more people working on it. is like comparing a MacDonald to a mom and pops shop

Slagmoth

Jan 26, 2019
I stopped playing Silicon Lust because I got tired of starting over. None of the other Twine/Sugarcube games (usually) break their saves on the next update. If they do they notify their user base.

As a developer myself it is bad practice to break previous calls to a program as some clients can't or simply won't update to the new version of the API or whatever they are consuming. I simply can't break existing functionality in almost all cases.

That said... and not familiar with Twine code in the deep sense there is likely a way to handle this part in code but let's assume there isn't.

The simplest way to resolve the frustration for your players is to provide a save for them to consume on the release of the newest version perhaps one for each major path in the story so that we don't have to constantly start over. Depending on how long you wish this story to go it will get tedious and your players will lose interest if you don't do at least something.

All that said... the concept is at least unique and interesting which is why I have kept track of it this long.

Reactions: AWolfe

Bonkksman

Jun 24, 2018
Unfinished Business said:
Second, you understand there may be hypnotic effect GIF’s that will have no actually effect on you, but do happen to contain flashing images. I want you to have a stroke, not a fit.
"I want you to have a stroke, not a fit." Best quote in the game.

• Haha
Reactions: jiffk and Dedegaru
3.60 star(s) 12 Votes